REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   road test for (N) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645245-road-test-n.html)

aliuu 05-12-2011 09:42 PM

road test for (N)

i have a question to ask i have a road test on june 27, im wondering how fast am i suppose to drive on school zone, schools over but there is still exam so im confused any clues how fast your suppose to drive during that day

CRS 05-12-2011 09:57 PM

School zones are 30km/h from 8AM to 5PM on regular school days. However, there is still summer school and if exams as taking place, I would go with the posted 30km/h.

gars 05-12-2011 10:46 PM

You need to drive the 30 in the school zone unless the sign is covered. I've seen the summer school signs covering the regular school signs though. Go 30.

zulutango 05-13-2011 04:57 AM

Before you begin your road test you are permitted to ask your tester questions. As a driver I don't believe you are expected to know which schools are closed during the sumer and which are open for summer school. It would be appropriate to ask the tester how he wants you to deal with the situation. My experiance has also been that schools with the tabbed 30k restrictions are usually NOT high schools...and they are likely not doing summer make-up classes in those low grades.

147 (1) A person driving a vehicle on a regular school day and on a highway where signs are displayed stating a speed limit of 30 km/h, or on which the numerals "30" are prominently shown, must drive at a rate of speed not exceeding 30 km/h while approaching or passing the school building and school grounds to which the signs relate, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., or subject to subsection (1.1), between any extended times that are stated on the signs.

Stealthy 05-15-2011 04:21 PM

Just asked my driving instructor on this as my test is the 23rd. You must still obey school zone signs, you can stop travelling 30 when it is July 1st.

skidmark 05-15-2011 04:40 PM

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/case-law/case-law-r-v-ashir

Matlock 05-15-2011 06:15 PM

30 if it says 30 below.

There are some school zone signs that don't necessarily mean to slow down, but just to make drivers aware of the hazard. When I was taking some lessons for my class 5 around point grey area I found this out.

Taking a few real lessons from a real driving instructor won't hurt you since they may be able to make you more aware of what the real exam will be like and what kind of tricks to watch out for.

aliuu 05-15-2011 06:25 PM

thanks alot guys for infos ~~ it was a confusing thing =/

dlo 05-15-2011 07:00 PM

good luck sammy boy, ull need it for sure

Soundy 05-15-2011 07:57 PM

I have a related question... I think it's been touched on in this forum before, but I can't find the post/thread.

I know in some jurisdictions, construction zones only apply when workers are present. Is there anything similar in BC? For example, the whole stretch of Lougheed Highway from the Pitt River Bridge to Golden Ears Way in Pitt Meadows is currently a construction zone with a 60km/h speed limit... which seems a little silly on the weekend when there's nobody working, no machinery on the roadside, and the construction itself is pretty much completed other than the cones left behind...

xilley 05-15-2011 08:16 PM

shouldnt you have learned this on your L book?

geeknerd 05-15-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7435052)

there are so many things missing from the L book.

zulutango 05-16-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7434630)

I think in retrospect, that Crown could have described the section of roadway as a "designated school zone" with regulatory signs showing a required maximum of 30 kmh for all vehicles while driving this section of roadway. It's a signed speed zone, and the zone is so specific that the MVB even post regulatory signs indicating the start and finish of the zone..."the school zone ends" signs you see. They don't display zone ends signs for any other zones I'm aware of?

I'm glad the court offered an opinion as to what a "school day" is. To go to the OP's question...just ask your examiner if they deem it to be a school day for the purpose of the roadtest. They are the ones marking you and in this specific instance, they will decide if you are correctly obeying the signs. It is a reasonable question, specially near the end of the school year when every school handles things differently. I don't believe that you are supposed to know if this is a day that the school board requires teachers to be available for work. :)

Soundy 05-16-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7435029)
I have a related question... I think it's been touched on in this forum before, but I can't find the post/thread.

I know in some jurisdictions, construction zones only apply when workers are present. Is there anything similar in BC? For example, the whole stretch of Lougheed Highway from the Pitt River Bridge to Golden Ears Way in Pitt Meadows is currently a construction zone with a 60km/h speed limit... which seems a little silly on the weekend when there's nobody working, no machinery on the roadside, and the construction itself is pretty much completed other than the cones left behind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7435052)

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 7435188)
there are so many things missing from the L book.

I'd already had my driver's license for 10 years before the GLP came in, so... no.

Soundy 05-16-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7435473)
I think in retrospect, that Crown could have described the section of roadway as a "designated school zone" with regulatory signs showing a required maximum of 30 kmh for all vehicles while driving this section of roadway. It's a signed speed zone, and the zone is so specific that the MVB even post regulatory signs indicating the start and finish of the zone..."the school zone ends" signs you see. They don't display zone ends signs for any other zones I'm aware of?

I was thinking the same thing. Buildings, playgrounds, whatever, really aren't relevant: sign says 30, you do 30. Pretty simple.

Quote:

I'm glad the court offered an opinion as to what a "school day" is. To go to the OP's question...just ask your examiner if they deem it to be a school day for the purpose of the roadtest. They are the ones marking you and in this specific instance, they will decide if you are correctly obeying the signs. It is a reasonable question, specially near the end of the school year when every school handles things differently. I don't believe that you are supposed to know if this is a day that the school board requires teachers to be available for work. :)
Also pretty simple: if there's ANYTHING about the test or conditions you're unsure of, JUST ASK!

(BTW, regarding the bit about whether there's summer school... I've never seen a school (at least in BC) that did OFFICIAL summer sessions that DIDN'T have a little "SUMMER SCHOOL" tag added to the bottom of the school zone signs. Just sayin'...

aliuu 05-16-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7434816)
30 if it says 30 below.

There are some school zone signs that don't necessarily mean to slow down, but just to make drivers aware of the hazard. When I was taking some lessons for my class 5 around point grey area I found this out.

Taking a few real lessons from a real driving instructor won't hurt you since they may be able to make you more aware of what the real exam will be like and what kind of tricks to watch out for.

well yeah i am taking lessons but the instructor isnt understanding the question,they dont get what i mean yenno haha... a friend of mine failed by driving 30km on a school zone, i just wanna get it on first try LOL and go on my relaxing trip

xilley 05-16-2011 01:07 PM

oooh, didnt realize, but yeah one tip i was given was, school zone ends when you see houses facing houses, if you understand what i mean
and the biggest tip is to just calm the fuck down and relax. when you get all nervous you make even more mistakes, just remember your shoulder checks
good luck !

zulutango 05-16-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7434816)
30 if it says 30 below.

As a driving/riding instructor of class 5,6,7,8 and GLP...I agree...but this may just be a prejudiced view on my part. :woot2:

"Just asked my driving instructor on this as my test is the 23rd. You *must* still obey school zone signs, you can stop travelling 30 when it is *July 1st*."

Geez....how long a test are you having to do? They are supposed to take about 45 mins max!!!!!!
"

k3mps 05-16-2011 09:20 PM

when i took my road test, i asked my tester this too, as school was over.
they just answered with "stick with your gut instinct, go the speed you think you would usually be going at"
i assumed 30 and that's what i went with. better safe than sorry; good luck!

aliuu 05-18-2011 12:05 PM

thanks for advice guys one more question; How long is the road test? and do they make u pull over alot?

dlo 05-18-2011 02:57 PM

mine only took 12 minutes..pulled over 4 times

CRS 05-18-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliuu (Post 7438467)
thanks for advice guys one more question; How long is the road test? and do they make u pull over alot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheDLo (Post 7438622)
mine only took 12 minutes..pulled over 4 times

Wow, that's really quick.

Mine was about 30mins and pulled over 3-4 times.

dlo 05-18-2011 03:52 PM

yeah, i actually thought i failed, than he told me i passed :D did it like 3 weeks ago at burnaby location

k3mps 05-18-2011 05:38 PM

mine took 45min..
it sucked cuz it was 26degrees that day and it was during after school rush..plus air con was broken. brutal.
if you're taking it at the burnaby location, from what my friends tell me, they majority of them are really nice.

CRS 05-18-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lllggg (Post 7438802)
mine took 45min..
it sucked cuz it was 26degrees that day and it was during after school rush..plus air con was broken. brutal.
if you're taking it at the burnaby location, from what my friends tell me, they majority of them are really nice.

My evaluator and I talked about how our parents beat us as kids.

Not even kidding.

I broke the ice by having QMFM on and talked about how I'm all about the classics.