REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

road test for (N)

i have a question to ask i have a road test on june 27, im wondering how fast am i suppose to drive on school zone, schools over but there is still exam so im confused any clues how fast your suppose to drive during that day
Advertisement
aliuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
School zones are 30km/h from 8AM to 5PM on regular school days. However, there is still summer school and if exams as taking place, I would go with the posted 30km/h.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
I am grateful grapefruit

You need to drive the 30 in the school zone unless the sign is covered. I've seen the summer school signs covering the regular school signs though. Go 30.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Before you begin your road test you are permitted to ask your tester questions. As a driver I don't believe you are expected to know which schools are closed during the sumer and which are open for summer school. It would be appropriate to ask the tester how he wants you to deal with the situation. My experiance has also been that schools with the tabbed 30k restrictions are usually NOT high schools...and they are likely not doing summer make-up classes in those low grades.

147 (1) A person driving a vehicle on a regular school day and on a highway where signs are displayed stating a speed limit of 30 km/h, or on which the numerals "30" are prominently shown, must drive at a rate of speed not exceeding 30 km/h while approaching or passing the school building and school grounds to which the signs relate, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., or subject to subsection (1.1), between any extended times that are stated on the signs.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Just asked my driving instructor on this as my test is the 23rd. You must still obey school zone signs, you can stop travelling 30 when it is July 1st.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Retired Traffic Cop

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/case-law/case-law-r-v-ashir

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
30 if it says 30 below.

There are some school zone signs that don't necessarily mean to slow down, but just to make drivers aware of the hazard. When I was taking some lessons for my class 5 around point grey area I found this out.

Taking a few real lessons from a real driving instructor won't hurt you since they may be able to make you more aware of what the real exam will be like and what kind of tricks to watch out for.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

thanks alot guys for infos ~~ it was a confusing thing =/
Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
good luck sammy boy, ull need it for sure
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I have a related question... I think it's been touched on in this forum before, but I can't find the post/thread.

I know in some jurisdictions, construction zones only apply when workers are present. Is there anything similar in BC? For example, the whole stretch of Lougheed Highway from the Pitt River Bridge to Golden Ears Way in Pitt Meadows is currently a construction zone with a 60km/h speed limit... which seems a little silly on the weekend when there's nobody working, no machinery on the roadside, and the construction itself is pretty much completed other than the cones left behind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
shouldnt you have learned this on your L book?
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
there are so many things missing from the L book.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
I think in retrospect, that Crown could have described the section of roadway as a "designated school zone" with regulatory signs showing a required maximum of 30 kmh for all vehicles while driving this section of roadway. It's a signed speed zone, and the zone is so specific that the MVB even post regulatory signs indicating the start and finish of the zone..."the school zone ends" signs you see. They don't display zone ends signs for any other zones I'm aware of?

I'm glad the court offered an opinion as to what a "school day" is. To go to the OP's question...just ask your examiner if they deem it to be a school day for the purpose of the roadtest. They are the ones marking you and in this specific instance, they will decide if you are correctly obeying the signs. It is a reasonable question, specially near the end of the school year when every school handles things differently. I don't believe that you are supposed to know if this is a day that the school board requires teachers to be available for work.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I have a related question... I think it's been touched on in this forum before, but I can't find the post/thread.

I know in some jurisdictions, construction zones only apply when workers are present. Is there anything similar in BC? For example, the whole stretch of Lougheed Highway from the Pitt River Bridge to Golden Ears Way in Pitt Meadows is currently a construction zone with a 60km/h speed limit... which seems a little silly on the weekend when there's nobody working, no machinery on the roadside, and the construction itself is pretty much completed other than the cones left behind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
there are so many things missing from the L book.
I'd already had my driver's license for 10 years before the GLP came in, so... no.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I think in retrospect, that Crown could have described the section of roadway as a "designated school zone" with regulatory signs showing a required maximum of 30 kmh for all vehicles while driving this section of roadway. It's a signed speed zone, and the zone is so specific that the MVB even post regulatory signs indicating the start and finish of the zone..."the school zone ends" signs you see. They don't display zone ends signs for any other zones I'm aware of?
I was thinking the same thing. Buildings, playgrounds, whatever, really aren't relevant: sign says 30, you do 30. Pretty simple.

Quote:
I'm glad the court offered an opinion as to what a "school day" is. To go to the OP's question...just ask your examiner if they deem it to be a school day for the purpose of the roadtest. They are the ones marking you and in this specific instance, they will decide if you are correctly obeying the signs. It is a reasonable question, specially near the end of the school year when every school handles things differently. I don't believe that you are supposed to know if this is a day that the school board requires teachers to be available for work.
Also pretty simple: if there's ANYTHING about the test or conditions you're unsure of, JUST ASK!

(BTW, regarding the bit about whether there's summer school... I've never seen a school (at least in BC) that did OFFICIAL summer sessions that DIDN'T have a little "SUMMER SCHOOL" tag added to the bottom of the school zone signs. Just sayin'...
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
30 if it says 30 below.

There are some school zone signs that don't necessarily mean to slow down, but just to make drivers aware of the hazard. When I was taking some lessons for my class 5 around point grey area I found this out.

Taking a few real lessons from a real driving instructor won't hurt you since they may be able to make you more aware of what the real exam will be like and what kind of tricks to watch out for.

well yeah i am taking lessons but the instructor isnt understanding the question,they dont get what i mean yenno haha... a friend of mine failed by driving 30km on a school zone, i just wanna get it on first try LOL and go on my relaxing trip
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
oooh, didnt realize, but yeah one tip i was given was, school zone ends when you see houses facing houses, if you understand what i mean
and the biggest tip is to just calm the fuck down and relax. when you get all nervous you make even more mistakes, just remember your shoulder checks
good luck !
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
30 if it says 30 below.

As a driving/riding instructor of class 5,6,7,8 and GLP...I agree...but this may just be a prejudiced view on my part.

"Just asked my driving instructor on this as my test is the 23rd. You *must* still obey school zone signs, you can stop travelling 30 when it is *July 1st*."

Geez....how long a test are you having to do? They are supposed to take about 45 mins max!!!!!!
"
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #19

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
when i took my road test, i asked my tester this too, as school was over.
they just answered with "stick with your gut instinct, go the speed you think you would usually be going at"
i assumed 30 and that's what i went with. better safe than sorry; good luck!
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
I STILL don't get it

thanks for advice guys one more question; How long is the road test? and do they make u pull over alot?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
dlo

mine only took 12 minutes..pulled over 4 times
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliuu View Post
thanks for advice guys one more question; How long is the road test? and do they make u pull over alot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
mine only took 12 minutes..pulled over 4 times
Wow, that's really quick.

Mine was about 30mins and pulled over 3-4 times.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
dlo

yeah, i actually thought i failed, than he told me i passed did it like 3 weeks ago at burnaby location
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #24

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
mine took 45min..
it sucked cuz it was 26degrees that day and it was during after school rush..plus air con was broken. brutal.
if you're taking it at the burnaby location, from what my friends tell me, they majority of them are really nice.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllggg View Post
mine took 45min..
it sucked cuz it was 26degrees that day and it was during after school rush..plus air con was broken. brutal.
if you're taking it at the burnaby location, from what my friends tell me, they majority of them are really nice.
My evaluator and I talked about how our parents beat us as kids.

Not even kidding.

I broke the ice by having QMFM on and talked about how I'm all about the classics.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by: