REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
wow they should make a law, if you arent canadian u cant buy specific properties in canada

what is western canada gonna become in next 50 yrs, republic china of canada.
Tell that to a home owner that will lose 250K on a house.
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Australia. Had a friend who emigrated here from greece, worked here for 2 months said this city fucking sucks and left for sydney. He now makes 30 an hour at a call center there for a bank. Don't buy into the vancouver delusion. Vancouver is just like any other coastal city.
I just came back from Australia a few weeks ago - went to Cairns, Sydney, and Gold Coast. Beautiful country and the people are great there. From my brief stay, quality of life seems to be much higher there. People work to live, not live to work, and seem to be much happier. Their cost of living is still high, but people generally make higher wage than here (except in my profession :P ). I would seriously consider moving there except my profession is not as highly paid in Australia and the fact that all my family live here.

OT: does anybody know where to buy Bundaberg ginger beer in Vancouver?
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
if i hear that lady talk in person, i'd want to punch her in the face. "YESSSHHHHHH"
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I think I have come to settle with the idea that Vancouver & Richmond are beyond reach for me.

As much as it bothers me that foreigners are buying up the real estate market, it's a free market that we can't control. Instead I'll focus my energy on working harder and earning more money.

Kev
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
wow they should make a law, if you arent canadian u cant buy specific properties in canada

I got a better idea, lets make all non-canadian citizens wear armbands and have a star-shaped patch with a C on there, If they are found without wearing the star in public, they would be subjected to severe punishment.

Then as we progress, we will eventually build camps to house all of them for the greatness of the Northern Reich.
apple_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
I don't hate on mainlanders, but then this is getting a bit ridiculous. I guess there's not much that can be done?
Limit the amount of property a person that is not a resident can own. Sure, there are tons of ways around it, but it's a start.

Or maybe move to Sydney.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
People who defend Vancouver with the passion live in their own bubble.
That you are correct. I can easily get a job in Toronto making the same amount (if not more due to greater opportunities) while paying half of the real estate prices. Sure they have harsher winters but, but looking at rain 8 months of the year isn't exactly paradise. Plus with the money I save I could retire 10 years earlier or take an extra vacation a year with no regrets. If it wasn't for the family I would be out of here long ago.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=1303196505
Good luck getting a 1 bedroom condo in coal harbour for $260k
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
is it too late to take the test to become a realtor?? wow..
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Resident Bullshitter

china also have tour groups that is specifically for buying real estates around the world.

the whole group of people are all prospective buyers and will not leave empty handed
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #35
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
they really need to fix up the immigration laws.

you don't know english. you GTFO and learn it before you come here

you don't live here for more than 6 months each year and contribute to the various social programs? you don't get medical coverage
Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I say let all the immigrants in as long as they buy and live
anywhere 200km outside of the lower mainland. If the government wants
to help the BC economy by letting in immigrants sure then come here
and make your home out in 100mile house or somewhere those
smaller towns need a boost in there economy not here we've already
got enough.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #37

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
we grew here, they flew here.

vancouver is already multicultural enough as is, its pretty bad when those of us who are homegrown are the minority and we'll never have the ability to purchase a house in the city we grew up in.

wasnt it australia that made a boat containing lots of immigrants heading to australia turn around and leave their country before they even got in? whoever it was....they got the right idea on it!

im not trying to sound racist or anything..but for fucks sakes, my cousins kid is in elementary school, schools should have 2 options for children, english or french...not english and mandarin/cantonese or others. if you want to live here, fine, live here, but live here like a canadian.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Instead of banning them. The gov should pass a English test (much like LPI or 1st year University English test) and also have a verbal conversion with people who plans to come to Canada. If they fail the test, they can't come. I new New Zealand does this. We don't need more people who have no intentions of learning or even trying to learn English to be in this Country.

Also pass a law saying in order to use social programs from Canada you have to be employed for at least 5years. Why the fuck should anyone who just came to Canada get on the EI program and using our tax dollars when they didn't even pay a penny. Want to use Canadian's money you must first contrubite to it first.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #39
Banned By Establishment

I never knew RS harboured so much racists thoughts. Almost sounds like a white power group.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #40

I've lived here almost all of my life, born and raised CBC

All of my friends, ranging from high end careers to lower end careers, none of us can afford a house.
It's because of stupid stuff like this which is essentially kicking out Canadians from our own neighborhoods. It is sad and ridiculous.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I had my obstetrics/gyne rotation at Richmond general for 6 weeks and I swear that >60% of the patients we had were fly-ins from mainland China. There is a thriving cottage industry in Richmond where these expectant mothers put up $3000-5000/per month to live at these pre/post-partum houses. There they have caretakers who take them to prenatal appointments, cook for them, translate for them while they wait for their babies to deliver and thus, obtain Canadian citizenship for them. There is even a specific family doctor who speaks mandarin and works out of multiple hospitals in the in the city catering to this population. These ladies pay for everything privately at the hospital. I saw a lady reach into her wallet an pull out $1200 for an epidural. :O
Understandably, the nurses on the labour and delivery unit were all up in arms about this practice.
bob_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_cutie View Post
I never knew RS harboured so much racists thoughts. Almost sounds like a white power group.
How about your own racist thoughts? Pretty bold to assume the people complaining here are white.

Your prejudices are equally as racist as the ones in this thread. Now STFU.

Kev
Old 05-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
I say let all the immigrants in as long as they buy and live
anywhere 200km outside of the lower mainland. If the government wants
to help the BC economy by letting in immigrants sure then come here
and make your home out in 100mile house or somewhere those
smaller towns need a boost in there economy not here we've already
got enough.
Posted via RS Mobile
While we are at it, lets make it mandatory to require travel papers when transiting between cities for all Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
How about your own racist thoughts? Pretty bold to assume the people complaining here are white.

Your prejudices are equally as racist as the ones in this thread. Now STFU.

Kev
Because 2 wrongs make a right. You claim I am racists to justify your own racists thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Instead of banning them. The gov should pass a English test (much like LPI or 1st year University English test) and also have a verbal conversion with people who plans to come to Canada. If they fail the test, they can't come. I new New Zealand does this. We don't need more people who have no intentions of learning or even trying to learn English to be in this Country.

Also pass a law saying in order to use social programs from Canada you have to be employed for at least 5years. Why the fuck should anyone who just came to Canada get on the EI program and using our tax dollars when they didn't even pay a penny. Want to use Canadian's money you must first contrubite to it first.
You will need to have accumulated between 420 and 700 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period to be entitled to receive EI regular benefits

Last edited by apple_cutie; 05-28-2011 at 01:24 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #45
Banned By Establishment

double post
Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #46

Actually, I haven't made any racist comments in this thread. In fact, I accept the fact that we are within a free market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I think I have come to settle with the idea that Vancouver & Richmond are beyond reach for me.

As much as it bothers me that foreigners are buying up the real estate market, it's a free market that we can't control. Instead I'll focus my energy on working harder and earning more money.

Kev
Just stop posting. You are making yourself look foolish.

Kev
Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
They're also spending big money on shopping, I was Holts last weekend and the guy was telling me that three guys from Shanghai walked in, asked to see suits and jackets and within 30 minutes they dropped close to $75,000 like it was nothing. Some people have too much money.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #48
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm totally down for a night market over here. The richmond one is hella far for me
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #49
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

It's time everyone waked the fuck up and realized that it's a global economy.

Don't delude yourselves into thinking that a few thousand people from a specific part of the world are to blame for your troubles.

Money talks. Period.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
It's time everyone waked the fuck up and realized that it's a global economy.

Don't delude yourselves into thinking that a few thousand people from a specific part of the world are to blame for your troubles.

Money talks. Period.
I completely agree with you, the thoughts of the people in here have me worried regarding their knowledge of how the world works, their ideas and thoughts are very similar to those which brough on the Great Depression in the 30s, raising tariffs and restricting free-trade(immigration and investments)