REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #101
I am Hook'd on RS

what is there to complain? the mainlanders contribute TREMENDOUSLY to our local economy... pssh about them not working and not paying tax...they probably get taxed more than we paid for our income tax by simply buying for an Audi R8 here, think about how many cars, houses, nice bags, expensive clothings they buy in vancouver and how much tax these Chinese people paid in Canada. we should be grateful that they want to be in vancouver otherwise our economy is down the shitters.
Advertisement
sundance1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #102
Banned (ABWS)

All I've got to say is, inheritance ftw. I'm so glad I dont have to worry about saving for 20 years just so i have enough money saved up for a downpayment on a house here.

God damn it must be real nice to come here and be able to buy a 2million dollar house in cash...
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #103
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance1911 View Post
what is there to complain? the mainlanders contribute TREMENDOUSLY to our local economy... pssh about them not working and not paying tax...they probably get taxed more than we paid for our income tax by simply buying for an Audi R8 here, think about how many cars, houses, nice bags, expensive clothings they buy in vancouver and how much tax these Chinese people paid in Canada. we should be grateful that they want to be in vancouver otherwise our economy is down the shitters.
Ya oddly enough, drug money and money from foreign investors is what's keeping our economy here in Vancouver alive.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #104
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Lupolls?? that's a whole lotta fail right there. I have been online for a lonnnng time, and I am still in shock. Please tell me it was some inside joke or obscure reference. Not usually the spelling police, but cmon...
no need to write a ticket officer, that was an inside joke
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #105
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Doucher View Post
All I've got to say is, inheritance ftw. I'm so glad I dont have to worry about saving for 20 years just so i have enough money saved up for a downpayment on a house here.

God damn it must be real nice to come here and be able to buy a 2million dollar house in cash...
20 years of saving for a down pmt? you work at mcdonald bro?
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #106
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
20 years of saving for a down pmt? you work at mcdonald bro?
when did he say he was saving up for 20 years
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #107
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
The mere fact we were born in Canada is about as lucky as someone managing to make themselves a small fortune in China.

China's manipulation of their currency and a lack of rights for the workers pretty much ensure that more and more fortunes will be created in China. Theres a low overhead, and its not like they're using quality material to manufacture products. Hell, talk to someone there about outsourcing some programming work and you'll find out that they don't even pay for licensed software.

In Canada, we have rules. We have minimum wages, we have works rights, we have quality standards. We have rules. All of those cost money.

I think that if you're lucky enough to be born in a country where the free market reigns under the banner of communism, where the workers can easily be exploited, and there are next to no rules about running your business if you can pay off the right people you shouldn't be so quick to jump on a plane to buy your way into another country. Whats here for you? Another million? Maybe, but after the amount of hoops you'll have to jump through is it really worth it?

Paging Civic Blues to this thread because hes the type of guy who'll make this discussion truly interesting.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #108
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Doucher View Post
Ya oddly enough, drug money and money from foreign investors is what's keeping our economy here in Vancouver alive.
yeah...this once again proves how people in vancouver should stop complaining and get a real job. Businessman in China are making money, drug dealers in Vancovuer are making money, the average citizen in vancouver aint making shit, something seriously wrong with the system.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #109
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post
China's manipulation of their currency and a lack of rights for the workers pretty much ensure that more and more fortunes will be created in China.
......and how do you know workers in China don't have any rights? have you personally worked there, or you are just pulling shit out of your ass?

As a person who has family business in China, I can tell you China's labor law is one of the strictest in Asia...don't forget the government was based on a communism structure and communism places laborers above all other social class.

of course, having law and actually enforcing it is two different stories, but as the workers are starting to become aware of their law granted rights, they will start to use it, and very soon Chinese labor right will be on par or even above of those in the developed countries.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #110
degenerate extraordinaire

The mainlanders we see are just a tiny portion of the more fortunate population. For every wealthy Chinese we see, there is a fuckton of piss-poor exploited workers back in the mainland.

It's not always about how our wages compare to others, because quite frankly their business practices are/can be very different from ours. They define the dog-eat-dog world.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #111

Quote:
......and how do you know workers in China don't have any rights? have you personally worked there, or you are just pulling shit out of your ass?

If I read in the newspapers enough times that the sky is blue I don't need to go outside to see for myself. And I really don't think anyone can chalk it up to "western propaganda"

The economic market in China is far more likely to create millionaires than here in Canada, especially the west coast. We're hinterland to both China and the United States. This is the frustration most of us born here in Canada, and who don't come from money feel.

Why unfairly unbalance our real estate market? Are the overseas businessmen buying these homes trying to keep the average worker in a similar class to those in their home countries so that we can be as easily exploited?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #112
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I really want to wait for CRA to review files of all these Mainlander account for foreign income.

and yes, I agree civicblue must be invited
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #113
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
China's manipulation of their currency and a lack of rights for the workers pretty much ensure that more and more fortunes will be created in China. Theres a low overhead, and its not like they're using quality material to manufacture products. Hell, talk to someone there about outsourcing some programming work and you'll find out that they don't even pay for licensed software.

In Canada, we have rules. We have minimum wages, we have works rights, we have quality standards. We have rules. All of those cost money.

I think that if you're lucky enough to be born in a country where the free market reigns under the banner of communism, where the workers can easily be exploited, and there are next to no rules about running your business if you can pay off the right people you shouldn't be so quick to jump on a plane to buy your way into another country. Whats here for you? Another million? Maybe, but after the amount of hoops you'll have to jump through is it really worth it?

Paging Civic Blues to this thread because hes the type of guy who'll make this discussion truly interesting.
So what does that have to do with millionaires bringing their money over here? Oh, because they buy homes and it affects the price of housing. You only care if it affects your self-interest. You sure didn't mention that a common practice among many American companies is that they "exploit" labor worldwide (so don't unfairly single out China) by outsourcing work and who constantly threaten workers that they will leave their country in order to depress wages. Double standard much?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #114
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
yeah...this once again proves how people in vancouver should stop complaining and get a real job. Businessman in China are making money, drug dealers in Vancovuer are making money, the average citizen in vancouver aint making shit, something seriously wrong with the system.
lol... who the fuck are you?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #115
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Lol at eugenics talk from wstce
Posted via RS Mobile
Lol shouldn't you be sitting in jail by now?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #116
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
And I really don't think anyone can chalk it up to "western propaganda"
I am sorry but this is exactly what you are doing, buying into western media propaganda.

Don't forget: The economic miracle thats been happening in China was pretty much started by Foreign companies setting up factories in China, namely, American companies, German companies, Japanese companies and Taiwanese companies.

Twenty years ago when labor law in China wasn't as strictly enforced as it is today, these foriegn companies abused Chinese workers like hell. child labor, overtime work, no vacation, poor and dangerous work environment, unsanitary work place, you name it, they got it, and who are the owners of these companies? yes, Nike, Walmart, or aka the Americans, Europeans, or simply, the westerners.

gradually the Chinese businessmen are starting to catch up to the game with the westerners, and are finally starting to make a fortune, while the westerners have already made shitload of money in China.

Don't forget, it was the west who started this capitalism game, and it was the westerners who started to abuse labor rights massively in Asia. The Chinese has simply just caught up to the game.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #117
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
For the people that are defending this i have a question for u.

How would u feel if people came here from a different country and decided to take your job just cause they were willing to do it for alot cheaper. Or lowered base salary for your paticular job just cause they are all willing to do it for cheaper. I dont see that being any different than this.

edit* defending mainlanders coming to Vancouver and driving up housing prices is a good thing. Which i think is not

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 05-29-2011 at 10:44 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #118
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post

How would u feel if people came here from a different country and decided to take your job just cause they were willing to do it for alot cheaper. Or lowered base salary for your paticular job just cause they are all willing to do it for cheaper. I dont see that being any different than this.
I don't know what you mean by "defending"? Pro/against what?

Of course it's a shitty feeling. That's why you work harder and adjust to the situation.

I personally dislike mainlanders, but Vancouverites complain too much about EVERYTHING.

Here are our options
1. Earn more money, stay in Vancouver.
2. Move to another city, they are still very affordable.

TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #119
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
As a person who has family business in China, I can tell you China's labor law is one of the strictest in Asia...don't forget the government was based on a communism structure and communism places laborers above all other social class.
Thanks for the laugh, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post

edit* defending mainlanders coming to Vancouver and driving up housing prices is a good thing. Which i think is not
Well, I did come into this country recently. Guess I took someone's job. Too damn bad.

However, unlike these people, I keep my money in Canada. I buy local when possible, from local or Canadian companies. Why? Because I want this country to grow, thus making it better for everyone to live here.

How can someone even argue that it's good to have massive foreign ownership in the city? Sure, they pay property taxes, but that's it. They are collecting the rent and using it in China, or in HK, or in London, or whatever. They are not keeping the money here in Canada, and *that's* the bad thing.

Last edited by Mr.C; 05-29-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #120
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:

Whether you believe the yuan is being manipulated is up to you. I studied economics in university, but I am in no means any economist nor do I know the exact policies the Chinese government have in place. I do know that if the RMB was to appreciate, the products you buy would ALSO increase. Not only that, it would mean housing in Vancouver would be cheaper in relative terms which would have an inflow of more hot money. Anyways, thats not the point.

Another thing is this whole "exploit" thing is beaten to death. I have been to China and seen factories first hand, it isn't pretty. But that is like many industrial factories that are all over the world. The office workers or the white collar workers are given fair treatment. From labourers and up, how is it considered exploitation when the employees agree to a wage given to them, and then the employers paying that wage?

I like to think that I am a pretty capitalist person. I myself have moved out of Canada to HK and I am looking to purchase a house here. Yes my wages are higher than the locals, does that make me any worse? I want to have a home as well, why can't I? I also cannot speak the local language, does this make me any lesser of a person? How many users from this forum can say that they have moved to another country after becoming an adult and picking up the local language fluently without speaking English? I highly doubt more than a handful. Also, don't say coming here as a child counts, because you can learn through the education system and learning as a child is much easier than an adult.

I see myself no different than those from mainland going to Vancouver. Sure they are a million times richer than me, but in the end, we are just trying to give ourselves the best opportunity and also for our kin.

I think before blasting out racial remarks and repeating things you only hear of, experience it first hand then make an informed decision. I am not defending people from mainland driving up the housing market, but I can see both sides and make a rational decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #121
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Whether you believe the yuan is being manipulated is up to you. I studied economics in university, but I am in no means any economist nor do I know the exact policies the Chinese government have in place. I do know that if the RMB was to appreciate, the products you buy would ALSO increase.
You think that they would keep their factories in china if other countries started to become competative?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #122
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Holy cow i just realized I posted in this thread earlier then got bashed for it.

Prime example I encountered literally hours after I made the initial post
Spoiler!

Again, I have nothing against immigration. It's just that I remember when my family immigrated to Canada from HK a decade or so ago we at least made the effort to
A) get at least a firm grasp of English that we can communicate in
B) be prepared to face a new surrounding and adapt to it.

but yeah, this thread is just turning into a ragefest.
i'm outta here
Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I think before blasting out racial remarks and repeating things you only hear of, experience it first hand then make an informed decision. I am not defending people from mainland driving up the housing market, but I can see both sides and make a rational decision.

Woah, woah, woah. Nobody made any racialist comments here. I was commenting on ethnocentrism and the policies of China as a political body.

I like the discussion happening in this thread. This is a great topic and I enjoy being a part of it, but I won't be called a racist.

Moving on; this thread may not be entirely on topic but its turned into a very stimulating conversation. Lets not have it degrade into something less.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #124
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
I don't get why being required to know english is even an issue.
When you guys say that it just sounds like americans back then who complained about mexicans taking their jobs. So what? Survival of the fittest.

Rich mainlanders are rich because they either made all that money by them selves or they inherited from their family. So what? Do you know how many poor people there are in china compared to the rich? I don't even know why you guys are hating because they're rich. Obviously they've earned it through some way or another, and are just spending their money. How do they pay no taxes? Buying luxury cars, houses, food, clothes, they pay taxes on all those, probably more than you do. If they set up a business here, which I know many do, that creates employment.

Stop fucking bitching about not being able to buy a house in Vancouver. This is a case of have-not's angry at the have's. You just became a have-not. Deal with it. Bitching does NOTHING. Get off your ass, work harder. Be smarter, start businesses, move elsewhere. Invest your money wisely. This world runs on supply and demand.

Everybody here is already so lucky. Consider the fact you could have been born in africa with aids. Or blind. Or mutated. Or mentally disabled. Or born in a country with conscription. Or even dead. 200 million sperm per ejaculation and YOU fucking made it? Congratulations buddy, you won the lottery when you were born.

Stop taking everything for granted, and if you want to increase your quality of life, then work for it. Those mainlanders sure did. You don't get a free lunch just because you were born here, that does not make you special or better than other people.

Seriously.. coming from Canadians this is ridiculous, considering Canada is considered the most multicultural country.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #125
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Woah, woah, woah. Nobody made any racialist comments here. I was commenting on ethnocentrism and the policies of China as a political body.

I like the discussion happening in this thread. This is a great topic and I enjoy being a part of it, but I won't be called a racist.

Moving on; this thread may not be entirely on topic but its turned into a very stimulating conversation. Lets not have it degrade into something less.
Although I quoted you, I wasn't calling you a racist. I meant it for all the posters who HAVE mad a racial comment that was not needed.

As for Majin, if a country can become as competitive as China, then I am sure the factories will move. You can see it already in some of the textile industry. But it would be hard for a country to compete against China. Even in India where it is known for customer service call centres and software development, it is also the economic policies there that hinder them.

Everyone, consumer or manufacturer, are always resourceful and looking for the best deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: