REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2011/2012 Canucks Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647779-official-2011-2012-canucks-thread.html)

MR_BIGGS 04-14-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 7882478)
The Kings do look very good on paper.

I think this series will be won on special teams and Canucks do have the edge when discussing the 3rd and 4th lines.

Before the series started, lots of people were saying, the Kings can play a bruising way effectively and if the Canucks can't get their powerplay going, they will pay for it. The Canucks success will go by who wins special teams, and thats where they are losing.

Tapioca 04-14-2012 09:58 AM

Game 3 is more or less a do-or-die game. Contrary to what some people have said, I think the Canucks played a decent game last night. The Kings have been a far more opportunistic team (scoring from broken plays, etc.), which has been the difference so far.

I have been pretty disappointed in a few players though, mainly Edler and David Booth. Booth is struggling with decision-making and can't maintain possession of the puck. Edler has just gone brain dead. I would give Kassian more minutes - he looks lost out there at times, but at least he knows how to hold the puck. If Dustin Penner can elevate his game, it shouldn't be a stretch for a young kid like Kassian to elevate his too if given an opportunity.

There's still a chance for the Canucks to get their confidence back with a grinding victory on the road. If they're going to take Game 3, they'll take it 1-0 or 2-1 in OT. Schneids will start because this team needs a shakeup. The team also tends to a play a simpler game in front of Schneids.

Renthal 04-14-2012 10:28 AM

these have been posted a billion times but still...celebs and nhl players separated at birth…

2012 NHL Playoffs Separated at Birth - Photos - SI.com

lol at susan boyle and zidlicky

MR_BIGGS 04-14-2012 10:35 AM

Daniel Sedin will not play in the first round of playoffs.

invader 04-14-2012 10:39 AM

Yea, do it for Daniel (DID)

Tim Budong 04-14-2012 10:44 AM

Special teams are working against this team
regardless, sometimes, looking at stats is pointless, simply because certain players can beast their way through and not contribute on the scoreboard, yet be SUPER EFFECTIVE

This is what the Canucks need to bring to the table, match the intensity by doing the right things and take control. Richards/Carter/Brown/Kopitar have done just that to be the difference. Whether they pop a goal in or not, they are doing the right things with and without the puck to cause trouble.

Starting Schneids is one way to shake things up. I think thats the only way to do it... AV will not bench Raymond as much as we want him to. Funny how he's HORRIBLE, yet he does a few things right when on the PK and utilizes his speed in that regard.

Things get harder for the Canucks, going to LA, where ice is bad and after the next two games means a 4 day break before 5.
win the next two, regroup and take the next two

Canucks in 6. still possible guys

Ludepower 04-14-2012 10:48 AM

Daniel is no excuse why the team is losing.
We have a stacked veteran team losing to an 8th seed team.
We're playing with the mentality that we'll make it back to the Stanley cup finals without breaking a sweat.

Wake up you spoiled brats...this aint October...you're in the playoffs now...act like it.

Ronin 04-14-2012 10:54 AM

New 1st unit PP:

20-33-17-2-23

kristianhay 04-14-2012 10:56 AM

^

Confirmed?

spideyv2 04-14-2012 11:02 AM

Take edler off the powerplay for ffs, he's earned his spot off it

sonick 04-14-2012 11:04 AM

I lol'd when I saw the Kings do the drop-pass PP entry in the 3rd.

So sad, it looks like the Canucks only had thee PP entry plays: Drop-pass, carry-in or ring-around the boards... All three of which the Kings read like a book.

fobulaus 04-14-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7886223)
Im almost positive that daniel has a broken/fractured jaw, and not a concussion.

Managment never specifically said what his injury was, just "upperbody." Daniel was also told not to speak with the media, which would have been a dead give away.

Anyways, I still have faith in the canucks to take this series over, but AV really needs to switch things up.

What? How do you know this???

Tim Budong 04-14-2012 11:10 AM

PP announced on twitter from practice

anyways..im sick of the bullshit..im just gonna throw this one out there...

NO DANIEL SEDIN ISNT AN EXCUSE TO PLAY LIKE SHIT

quasi 04-14-2012 11:10 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel plays tomorrow, hurt or not.

Tim Budong 04-14-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 7886282)
I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel plays tomorrow, hurt or not.

form Canucks presser

Daniel is not travelling with the team to LA

Renthal 04-14-2012 11:14 AM

elliot friedman on cbc just said daneil did not travel with the team but could join the team later in the week :suspicious:

whereas kristen reid said he is done for the first round

Hondaracer 04-14-2012 11:29 AM

with Kesler on the first unit the 2nd unit PP is basically obsoltete..

things looking grim

spideyv2 04-14-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7886302)
with Kesler on the first unit the 2nd unit PP is basically obsoltete..

things looking grim

Yup. Trading coho half way through the season? :fuckthatshit:

spideyv2 04-14-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fobulaus (Post 7886277)
What? How do you know this???

Speculation on my behalf

Ch28 04-14-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renthal (Post 7886291)
elliot friedman on cbc just said daneil did not travel with the team but could join the team later in the week :suspicious:

whereas kristen reid said he is done for the first round

I'd believe Kristen Reid over Friedman.

pastarocket 04-14-2012 11:47 AM

Coach AV and his assistants are getting outcoached big time by Sutter.

What's the difference in the series besides special teams? Systems play. LA is playing an aggressive forechecking system and winning battles for the pucks in the boards.

For whatever reason, the Canucks are not making the quick adjustments in their zone breakouts and powerplay to counteract what Sutter is coaching his players to do. That blame falls on both the coaching staff for not adjusting strategy fast enough and the players for not executing the strategy.

Keys to winning the series:

1) Fast tempo zone breakouts: No more D men standing behind the net and reading the play for break outs. You saw it in game 1 with Richards just standing in front of Lu and trying to forecheck, waiting for Bieksa or another D men to take the puck out. That's TOO SLOW.

The D men must come break out of their zone with speed, speed, and more speed. Forwards need to be ready for the quick pass. Maybe the coach can consider putting Gragnani in the game. He is a fast skater, that can move the puck quickly.

2) Gridlock traffic in front of Quick as much as possible. Quick cannot make the save if he cannot see the puck. Kassian showed briefly in game 2 that he can do his power move protecting the puck, and play a cycle game.

Why not put Kassian on the first line and get a cycle game going with Henrik? Burrows attacks the net, gets to high traffic area, to get the garbage goals along with Kassian. Burrows can also get more chances shooting from the high slot while Kassian and Henrik cycle the puck and cause havoc in the Kings zone.

I would even put Kassian in front of the net on the power play too.

3) Best players must play like the best players. Game 2 stats: Kesler, Higgins, 6 shots each. +/- of Minus one. Booth: Six hits. NO SHOTS, Minus one. Henrik, 6 shots. NO POINTS for these players.

The top 6 forwards must produce points in game 3 or else the Canucks are done like dinner.

4) Hustle! Hustle! Win the puck battles. The forwards need to work extra hard and be quick to the puck. It was sickening to watch the Kings win puck battles at the boards through most of game 1 AND 2.

5) A goaltending change. Luongo is not the main reason the team is behind 2-0 in the series. Luuu has played good, but not outstanding in terms of not making the highway robbery saves to keep his team in his games.

Granted, his team mates have not scored enough goals on 5 on 5 or on the PP to give him goal support.

Why not put in Schneider just to give the Kings a new look? Corey has proven that he can play under playoff pressure based on his game last season vs. Chicago in round 1. The Kings have never faced Schneider at all this season. A change in goaltending is not a knock against Luongo's play.

6) Attack the net! Play aggressive but smart. There is still too much shots from the perimeter. Booth and the forwards have the keep going forward, bring the pucks to the net and stand in front of Quick to screen that goalie.

Booth has that power move where he takes the puck to the net. He has to do that more. I don't expect May Ray to skate to the net and play aggressive. He's not that type of player anyway. Higgins, Booth, and Kesler have to keep shooting and skate toward Quick. Make life miserable for this guy, but avoid the goalie interference penalties.

7) More bodychecks and physical play. Every Canuck player, except for the goalies, has to pay the price physically and lay out hits on every Kings player. Big bodychecks over the course of a 7 game series will take its toll on LA.

8) Score on the powerplay! The PP has been discussed so much on this thread that I will not elaborate on this point.

I have been a faithful Canucks fan since I was six years old. I've supported this team through thick and thin.

Despite the heartbreak of watching the Canucks lose in the Cup finals in '94 and last year, I will be a fan forever. I have not given up on this team. No bandwagon jumper here.

A comeback series win is possible!

My prediction of Canucks winning in SEVEN games has not changed. No fat lady is gonna sing on this team in this series!

Go Canucks go!!!!!!

punkwax 04-14-2012 11:52 AM

Everyone looking for someone to blame... the entire team is not playing well in front of Lu. I agree that starting Schneider isn't a bad idea despite Lu not "deserving" to be benched. The team seems to respond well when S is in net, and we need a fucking response. Every team has stepped it up a notch to playoff level hockey, except for our Canucks.

Few bright spots, I like Booth laying down the hits... wish Edler would take a page from that book. Hansen playing really well. Kes better step up and keep it up, he's the guy I'm expecting a hell of a lot more from.

We're not out of it.

spoon.ek9 04-14-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renthal (Post 7886250)
these have been posted a billion times but still...celebs and nhl players separated at birth…

2012 NHL Playoffs Separated at Birth - Photos - SI.com

lol at susan boyle and zidlicky

Tim Thomas & Drew Carey :rofl: also, the Patrick Marleau & Kyle Chandler one REALLY matches.

same with Crosby & Andy Samberg, how did I not realize that before!? hahaha. I guess Lu does kind of look like Borat :whistle:

Greenstoner 04-14-2012 12:40 PM

would be funny if we got sweep by the Kings, just saying...

i hope not but i would laugh at the people who said "canucks gonna sweep the king" 's face so hard and say YOU DONT KNOW HOCKEY FOOL!!! Take my anger on them instead

bballguy 04-14-2012 12:43 PM

Caps finally score....1-0 with 2 minutes left in the 2nd...and how well is Holtby playing...he's allowed 1 goal in around 102 minutes....not bad for your 3rd string goaltender...