REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #27251
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
actually in a elimination game, going with the backup is a slap in the face to luongo. it is a direct statement from management that they think schnieder is the better goalie for the team. hes butt hurt and he will continue to be butt hurt, its very realistic that he asks for a trade after this.
Agreed, but in this business, what's more important - winning, or protecting egos? It's not an easy job, but I sure hope management is focused on winning.
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #27252

last year it was protecting egos. this year im glad they made the right choice. im curious to see how luongo actually handles it after the season is done as ive found hes quick to blame his team/teammates before he admits his own faults. should be a very interesting offseason when it comes.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #27253
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

What can Lu say though? He didn't play himself out of the starting job. His team was not there to put up for him when he held up his end of the bargain. The team does appear to play a better game with Schneider in net, so have they lost confidence in Lu? With Schneider being the undisputed starter til he falters, I wonder what the dynamic in the room is like right now. How butthurt is Lu really? I can't imagine that would be a good energy to rub off on the rest of the team.

A possible way this can resolve, Schneider gets us out of round 1. The Canucks lose a game or two in round 2 which gives Lu a chance to get back in net and he plays air tight from there on in so AV/MG have no need to put Schneider in. LOTS of things need to go right for this scenario to play out, its much easier to speculate on what will happen in the offseason.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #27254
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
the goalie talk takes a lot of excitement away from the team right now...thats all i can say...
Too much speculating..
just be glad we arn't the Flyers right now with their goalie garbage going on

so heres a laugh

Ryan Ellis... ping pong in the ding dong

This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #27255
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
A shit team would take luongo in a heart beat, not only could he be a good starter for most those teams he would also be a marketing peice
plus Luongo is really solid in the regular season!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #27256
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So anyone want to talk about the end of the Luongo era? Or is that irrelevant for now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
bet he'll start next game
I bet he won't.

It would be an asinine move to put Luongo back in for game 5. If the series was tied 2-2, then maybe... but with no mulligans left, you can't go with the statistically poorer choice and hope for the best.

Make no mistake, Schneider will play every remaining game of this series, and if the Canucks do miraculously make it to the second round, he'll start that too, until he has a truly bad game. Then we might see Luongo again.

I guess there is a REMOTE chance we'll see Luongo start another game in this series... and that's if Schneider craps the bed really badly and lets in like four goals early, gets pulled, and the Canucks complete a miracle comeback to win... then Luongo will start the next game. But barring that scenario, it's Ride the Schneid.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #27257
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Schneider will play every remaining game of this series, and if the Canucks do miraculously make it to the second round, he'll start that too, until he has a truly bad game. Then we might see Luongo again.
I like this strategy. I wish AV would do this for the rest of the playoffs for our goalie situation. Instead Goalie #1 and Goalie #2, We have Goalie 1A and Goalie 1B and keep switching the Goalies after every couple of losses.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #27258
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
The problem I have with Luongo is down low with a lot of traffic the puck always finds it's way into the net.
Every time there is a big pile up in front of him, the puck goes into the net.

This is what troubles me. Schneider is better down low which is why I like him right now over Luongo, especially in the playoffs.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #27259
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
The two goalies are supporting each other........ perhaps the media and fans should do the same. Wait till it's over, then lynch whoever you want.

There's no room for animosity in the dressing room. I cheer for who ever is in the net.......... OK, so more for SSSSSssssssss, but.......
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #27260
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
MG1 knows what to say at the right time.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #27261
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Schneider is going to be harder to keep unless Lu gets moved between the draft and the last day to send qualifying offers to RFAs

There was an article on his FA status and plays out each sanario. I dig that out when I'm home
scenario
Spoiler!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #27262
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
The two goalies are supporting each other........ perhaps the media and fans should do the same. Wait till it's over, then lynch whoever you want.

There's no room for animosity in the dressing room. I cheer for who ever is in the net.......... OK, so more for SSSSSssssssss, but.......
The media plays the Debbie Downer because it's what sells newspapers, generates web traffic, etc. In fact, our tendency to cannibalize our sports teams is really a microcosm of Vancouver attitudes at large. We bitch about everything and are never satisfied.

/rant
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #27263
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
What if the Philadelphia Flyers were realists in the 2010 conference semi-finals against Boston??.......History will be made.

"Comeback" - History Will Be Made - YouTube
What if Cory Schneider started Game 6 and 7 SCF 2011.

*Cues the History will be made music
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #27264
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
It will be very difficult to trade Luongo and his contract. Teams will consider it a salary dump and give very little in return for what is, in fact, a great goalie with a good contract (given the cap hit and the fact that there are outs for either camp after x yrs). He also won't want to play for a team with no chance of a cup. Very limited options, very limited gain for the Canucks.

Trading Schneider on the other hand, should land the Canucks 1, perhaps 2 impact players + a draft pick or two. Plus, you'd have to pay him around 4M, let's say thats the cap hit for shits and giggles.

So, trade Luongo get little in return plus a measly 1.3M to play with or trade Schneider and get some legitimate top 6 assets to help them win a Cup during this so-called "Sedin Window".

Keep in mind how difficult it will be to move Luongo compared to Schneider. MG has all the bargaining power with Schneider and teams will likely try to outbid each other and offer a hell of lot. With Luongo, MG loses all bargaining power because he's already told the other GM's that he's running with Schneider and has to lose Lu's contract...

MG this offseason =
I doubt Cory gets $4m. He's got two seasons under his belt, that doesn't make a $4m payday. Yes, he's getting older but he still hasn't been a starter yet in the NHL. I'm guessing $2.75-$3m each for two years if he gets re-signed. If he signs for $4m, it will be for a longer term. He's an RFA this year, meaning the Canucks will want to get him cheap while they can and eat up a year of his UFA status while Cory goes out and proves himself as a starter.

As for Luongo, his contract isn't as big as most people think. $5.33m is a relatively small cap hit, especially with a rising cap every year. Also, Lu has an "out" clause for whatever franchise he's with that says they can dump him after 8 years. Effectively, it is a SIX year deal at $5.33m a year. No, he won't bring the return Schnoo would but don't think it will be hard to trade Lu.

The factors that will go into whether or not he's traded will be...

1. NTC. He has to want to get traded.
2. The CBA. We might have another lockout on our hands if the league and NHLPA can't come to an agreement. If there are new rules with the CBA, whatever we're talking about now goes out the window.
3. Trade partners: New Jersey and Tampa Bay are the most likely destinations since they have no goaltending next year and no high-end goalie prospects. Florida has Jakob Markstrom waiting but he's 22 and Lu could mentor him for a few years. Washington seems set on a Holtby/Neuvirth combo for another year. Toronto...never know what Burke wants. Islanders would have to get DiPietro to retire.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #27265
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #27266
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
What worries me most is that the past trades with goalies, the team only gotten prospects or picks in return. None of the really impact players.

Halak to Blue for Eller and Schultz

Bryzgalov's rights were traded for a 3rd round.

Varlamov was for a 1st and 2nd rounders.

EVEN when we got Luongo, we only gave up Auld, Bertuzzi, Allen, and a pick. lol hahaha
Halak and Varlamov were mostly unproven commodities. Bryz wasn't under contract so a 3rd rounder was a GREAT deal for just rights. Rights to Hamhuis went for the same, I think. Halak had a great playoff run. Varlamov was inconsistent.

When we traded for Lu, the NHL was a much different place and Luongo didn't have the numbers (wins, mostly) to back up a bigger trade demand.

However, both Luongo and Schneider have proven they can play with the best in the league. Jennings and President's Trophy last year, another President's this year.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #27267
RS controls my life!

Colorado's 1st and 2nd was a great return for Varlamov. The Avs first rounder had a chance to turn out to be a top-5 pick before the start of the season.

Varlamov also had a recurring groin injury and only had 59 games under his belt at the time.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #27268
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
So I'm hearing Sundays game might be at noon as per The Team store right now
Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #27269
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
So I'm hearing Sundays game might be at noon as per The Team store right now
Better than 10am as it is currently scheduled at (according to Google, at least).
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #27270
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
10am?! WTF
Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #27271
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Yah I noticed google puts 10am automatically if a time is yet to be determined
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #27272
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I'd guess 4 pm or 7 pm PST.

OKC vs. LAL 12:30pm
NOH vs. LAC 6:30pm

No one in LA would care about the Hornets game.

Edit:

My guesses for Sunday, April 22nd

Boston at Washington 10am PT
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia 1pm PT
Los Angeles at Vancouver 7pm PT
Nashville at Detroit 4pm PT

Last edited by TRDood; 04-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #27273

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I'd guess 4 pm or 7 pm PST.

OKC vs. LAL 12:30pm
NOH vs. LAC 6:30pm

No one in LA would care about the Hornets game.
LOL......No one in LA cares about the KINGS game.......
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #27274

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
is it just me or does anybody else get the feeling cory schneider doesn't even want to play in vancouver?

listening to him on After Hours last time it sounded like he just wants to get this season over with and sign with another team as a starter
Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #27275
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
LOL......No one in LA cares about the KINGS game.......
Would NBC and ABC want to compete for its viewers?

It's OKC afterall.. not the Raptors.
Closed Thread