REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #3376
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee:7559521
Holy, $9 for a Lightning game? You'd think prices would be jacked up with a winning team like Tampa with the roster they have...
Too bad the hockey market in Florida is absolute dog shit, same goes with most of America. Football and baseball dominate it. I also find the color commentary and play by play to be boring as well, the broadcaster will always make mistakes too.
Advertisement

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #3377
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
RS meet in florida
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #3378
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
I'm actually looking at next year's schedule and planning on going on the road to see Canucks play the Panthers and Lightnings Jan 9th and 10th.
Tickets at both rinks are dirt cheap (especially florida, $30 for row 7 centre ice)
What I'm wondering is how is the fan base in these cities? am I gonna be one of the few Canuck fans in the crowd or will there be a fair share of us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
RS meet in florida
Posted via RS Mobile
I am planning on going down for these games as well....I heard that the panthers have an area where out of town fans are not allowed to sit so to me that sounds like there is a core base and everyone else is transient
Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #3379
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^Ya, probably all Canadian retirees in that section.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #3380
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
Too bad the hockey market in Florida is absolute dog shit, same goes with most of America. Football and baseball dominate it. I also find the color commentary and play by play to be boring as well, the broadcaster will always make mistakes too.
don't forget basketball in the states. huge.
Spoiler!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #3381
I'm better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9:7559569
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
don't forget basketball in the states. huge.
Ahh yep. Side note - wasn't it rumored that we were going to buy the hornets or some dying NBA team?

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #3382
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Hope we get the hornets, we would get all the star forward pot heads on this team.

They come here for the weed but stern knows that's y he's not gonna bring the nba back here
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #3383
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I was at a panthers game a couple years ago and it was against the caps. The arena was still half empty and almost half of those at the game could care less about the game. The 60 dollars for enter ice lower bowl row 10 was a pretty good deal tho. The rink itself is located like an hour away from miami so it's like in the middle of no where off of the hwy.when I was asking the hotel concierge about how to get there, he hasn't even heard of the bank atlantic center
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #3384

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Thanks everyone for their feedback.
Yea its gonna be a fun little trip. Flight doesn't seem to be too expensive to florida either.

The only other out of town game I've watched recently was 2 years ago in chicago, where luongo got pulled after the 1st period.....I paid $250 per ticket...sat in a section with ALL blackhawk fans....while wearing a luongo jersey....not a fun experiance to say the least.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #3385
I'm better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi:7559637
Thanks everyone for their feedback.
Yea its gonna be a fun little trip. Flight doesn't seem to be too expensive to florida either.

The only other out of town game I've watched recently was 2 years ago in chicago, where luongo got pulled after the 1st period.....I paid $250 per ticket...sat in a section with ALL blackhawk fans....while wearing a luongo jersey....not a fun experiance to say the least.
Posted via RS Mobile
Man that must have felt like you were drowning in a sea of aids

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #3386
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
catching the heat/magic play would be a far better experience
Old 08-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #3387

one of the tsn comments from the couture signing. sprouted because people all over the world love to rag on phil kessel and the leafs

Quote:
@ DogDaysofsummer: I agree with your statement 100% that 'Defense wins you championships' since the best offensive players can be shut down by a stifling defence. That said, it takes a team effort to accomplish that feat, with ALL players buying into that system and style of play, and therefore we can safely conclude that no ONE player can win a championship let alone a series in the NHL playoffs. I witnessed first hand, the 'Almighty Boston Bruins' of the 1970-1971 season dominate the league with superstars such as Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Wayne Cashman, Derek Sanderson to name a few, yet they were beaten by a strongly united and regenerated Montreal Canadiens team back stopped by rookie Ken Dryden. It takes outstanding goal tending, solid DEFENCE, solid hitting, and timely scoring, and intangibles such as leadership to win the Stanley Cup. So, to put the onus on Phil Kessel and blame him for the woes of the Toronto Maple Leafs in recent years, is unfair.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #3388

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
Too bad the NBA is locked out

If I were you skiiipi, i'd rather attend a Tampa game rather then the Panthers game for obvious reasons..
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #3389
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I went to PHX last season and bought tixs for $56CDN, sat about 12rows up from the Canucks bench.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #3390
regulator

Quote:
not if you're a hockey fan...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #3391
regulator

Quote:
^ not even close to comparison...
How is it not even close? They're both young, both centers, both getting 2nd line minutes. Obviously Kesler is better defensively and Couture only has ONE season where he scored more than 5 goals and 9 pts (and even last year he only had 56 pts. 5.75mil is a LOT of money for a guy who is so unproven, and that deal could end up looking very ugly if he is a flash in the pan.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #3392
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga250 View Post
How is it not even close? They're both young, both centers, both getting 2nd line minutes. Obviously Kesler is better defensively and Couture only has ONE season where he scored more than 5 goals and 9 pts (and even last year he only had 56 pts. 5.75mil is a LOT of money for a guy who is so unproven, and that deal could end up looking very ugly if he is a flash in the pan.
lmfao, his cap hit is $2.875 mill for 2 years, which IMO is a very good deal. It's only around 300k more than Raymond's cap hit, and i'd MUCH rather have Couture on my team.
And of course he's only had 1 season where he scored more than 5 goals, he's only been playing in the NHL for 2 seasons.

Couture is still very young, and comparing his contract to Kesler's is completely irrelevant and stupid.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #3393
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
If I were you skiiipi, i'd rather attend a Tampa game rather then the Panthers game for obvious reasons..
Yah I'd much rather watch Tampa (Ohlund!) than Florida... I can't name a single player from the Panthers off the top of my head, LOL.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #3394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Yah I'd much rather watch Tampa (Ohlund!) than Florida... I can't name a single player from the Panthers off the top of my head, LOL.
Jovocop
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #3395

Quote:
Too bad the NBA is locked out

Yea I will be watching both games. Its on back to back nights, and its only a 4 hour drive between 2 cities.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #3396
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Yea I will be watching both games. Its on back to back nights, and its only a 4 hour drive between 2 cities.
Posted via RS Mobile
Im probably gonna go too, gonna be a good experience
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #3397

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Im probably gonna go too, gonna be a good experience
Posted via RS Mobile
Yea, I just checked flights
Fly from SEA to FLL then fly back from TPA to SEA, round trip flight for $360pp not bad at all.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #3398

Quote:
Healthier Cody Hodgson getting personal coaching from Claude Lemieux

Prospect says he's 'as ready as I can be' ahead of Canucks training camp

Given what Cody Hodgson means to both the present and the future of the Vancouver Canucks, there was a good deal of talk and thought this summer put towards turning around the rough start this terrific NHL prospect has experienced so far.

The Canucks coaches and management have held several conversations with the Hodgson camp — which now includes his personal coach Claude Lemieux, if you can call him that — and whether or not the club agrees 100 per cent with this new initiative and all it might one day involve, it certainly has the player stoked and ready to try to have his best training camp ever.

"I am really excited to be completely healthy again, strong and really looking forward to camp," said Hodgson, who will come into town right after Labour Day.

"It's been the best summer in a long time for me and I'm coming in as ready as I can be to help regardless of the roster, what positions are open or not or what the coach is thinking. It's his job to make those decisions and my job to be the best player I can be no matter where I'm used."

Hodgson said those words like he truly meant them.

Whether this personal-coach approach is a one-off or an idea that may catch on with a lot of young players around the league remains to be seen, but there's no question it has really given Hodgson a mental lift, which is one of the areas he and Lemieux have been working on.

"I've been through a lot of different situations in my career and I think I'm going to be able to help the players I work with both on and off the ice with both mental and physical preparation," says Lemieux, who now lives in Toronto, given his own son is an aspiring hockey player.

"I remember a situation in New Jersey about two months into the season I was at rock bottom and thinking 'I need to get out of here, I want a different start in a new organization.' But Lou Lamoriello [Devils GM] and I talked and he expressed faith in me, and a few months later I was the MVP of the playoffs. A fresh start in another city wasn't what I needed at all. I needed to make some adjustments in my attitude and look at the team around me differently.

"Vancouver is one of the best organizations in the game; why would you want to go to another team? You have to look at your surroundings in the right way and I think Cody's definitely doing that."

Lemieux is involved with a company called 4Star which works with and represents athletes, and they've established a working arrangement with Hodgson's agent, Ritch Winter's Sports Corporation, to help their hockey clients. Hodgson is one of the higher-profile players to have this type of help.

"We've had a number of discussions with the coaches and management in Vancouver and we expect to talk from time to time," said Lemieux, who is really looking forward to the new role as a substitute for playing. "Being able to help another player, to me it's the next best thing to playing yourself and that's something I can't do anymore."

"He's helped me with quite a few things," says Hodgson. "We've worked on mental preparation, footwork, shooting and places to shoot and different ways of scoring. It's been really interesting."

In many ways this makes a lot of sense for the coaches. For instance, on just a straight personal experiential level, what can Alain Vigneault and Rick Bowness, both career defencemen, tell a young forward about the game? They can teach him a lot about what they expect and explain the reasoning of their decisions, but helping 25 different guys in individual areas where they would like to improve is a tall order. Teammates are a help, of course, and the skills coach the Canucks introduced last year was another great step. But it would seem a personal coach can do nothing but help if he isn't too overbearing or interfering. Why should goalies be the only players with an individual or personal coach?

How Hodgson plays from here on in isn't going to be the ultimate test of the personal-coach concept in the NHL, of course, but it may be fun to examine the effects in this one situation at least.

© Copyright © The Province
Healthier Cody Hodgson getting personal coaching from Claude Lemieux

For anyone that may have been wondering how he was doing.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #3399

lolol nhlshop selling this:

Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #3400
Big Drama Show

Quote:
lolol nhlshop selling this:

RS group buy
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread