REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #3276
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy228 View Post
not sure if you will be able to buy it from them tho. As far as I know, they didn't sell NHL 11 in their store for quite some time.
that's because every copy they had kept getting scooped up before it could reach the store
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #3277
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
2011 Miss USA is a Canucks fan:

Crowned Canuck - Vancouver Canucks - Features

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #3278
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
IIHF Hockey on TSN

Nice to watch good hockey again............ two months to go. Having withdrawls.

Last edited by MG1; 08-19-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #3279

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
WOW thats hard to believe after how well he played for the Avs that no one wants him now. Signing for those big dollars with the Rangers sure fucked his career up.

His career got fucked up by his knee. Not money.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #3280
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
I think there are some great ideas for the game in the new propositions. The Hybrid Icing sounds like a great chance to continue the exciting race for the puck while lessening the injury risk. The Trapezoid possibly being removed is good news as well, fantasy goalie points anyone!?! It was a silly and completely useless addition to begin with.

From TSN:

THE "HYBRID" ICING RULE
The hybrid icing rule maintains the exciting race for the puck the fans love, while taking the danger of the end boards out of the equation.

Under the hybrid rule the linesman determines whether a play will be called icing based on which player reaches the faceoff dot first. If he believes the attacking player will be the first to the puck, icing is waved off. If he believes the defending player will eventually win the race to the puck, the whistle is blown and the play stops dead at the faceoff dot, instead of inches from the end boards.

This one is a no-brainer and should be implemented into the game as soon as possible.

NO ICING PERMITTED WHILE SHORTHANDED
Let's think about this one for a second. If icing isn't allowed in even strength situations then why is a team on the penalty kill, a situation in which they are being penalized, allowed to ice the puck?

This rule would not only make minor penalties more prohibitive, it would also enhance the effectiveness of the powerplay by increasing the amount of time spent in the offensive zone. The NHL is always conscious of boosting scoring and this would be a great way to do it.

OVERTIME VARIATION: FOUR MINUTES OF 4-ON-4 FOLLOWED BY THREE MINUTES OF 3-ON-3
It's no secret the shootout is widely disliked in NHL circles, but short of getting rid of it altogether, this tweak might offer some relief.

While asking NHL players to play in a 3-on-3 format seems kind of hokey, if a higher percentage of games could avoid going to a shootout as a result of this rule change, then it should be implemented. Speaking of the shootout, they will also test a five shooter format as opposed to the current three shooter format. The three shooter format makes coming back from a deficit near impossible, so if the shootout is here to stay then the move to a five shooter format should be welcomed.

NO LINE CHANGE FOR TEAM COMMITTING AN OFFSIDE
Penalizing teams for going offside would force players to be more careful upon entering the offensive zone. This would reduce the number offsides along with whistles and play stoppages that go along with them. It may also have the unintended effect of reducing creativity. If teams knew that they could be penalized by going offside then they would be more likely to simply dump the puck in the offensive zone. One thing the league wants more of is creativity and excitement, so they should be careful with this one.

AFTER OFFSIDE, FACE-OFF GOES BACK TO OFFENDING TEAM'S END
What's with the aversion to the offside call? Here's yet another rule aimed at making an offside a penalized offense. This would have the same negative effect as the previous rule discussed. If teams are scared to go offside due to the fear of a faceoff in their own end, they'll simply dump it in. Ask fans how exciting dump and chase hockey is and you have your answer on whether this rule makes it off the drawing board.

REMOVING TRAPEZOID BEHIND NET
The trapezoid rule should never have been implemented in the first place. The thinking was that if the goalies couldn't leave their net to play the puck in the corners it would increase the opposing team's time in the offensive zone, leading to more goals. What it's done is reduced quick breakouts and hampered the ability of goalies to help in the transition game. It's also slowed down the game by forcing the defenseman to skate all the way back to the corner to retrieve the puck.

The league needs to remove the trapezoid and bring back the old days where goaltenders served not only as puck-stoppers, but a helpful sixth-man on the ice. Being able to play the puck efficiently as a goaltender is a skill that should be taught and celebrated, not penalized.

IN-NET GOAL LINE CAMERA
On almost any given night during the hockey season there will be controversy surrounding whether a puck crossed the goal line or not. Well, why not give the boys upstairs another tool to help figure that out. A high definition camera pointed at the goal line would provide an invaluable angle for NHL headquarters when deciding whether a goal is in fact a goal. The technology to do this is out there and has been for a while; there is no reason to wait any longer.

NHL to reflect on rules at annual research and development camp
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #3281
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I like the thinking behind hybrid icing, but giving that additional level of judgement and power to the officials, I'm not sure how well it can be executed. The rules for penalties let's say are fairly clear and black and white, but how often are they interpreted as shades of grey? With the center ice line and icing calls, some linesmen will let you dump the puck a few feet short of the line without calling an icing while others will not, and once again this is a black and white rule.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #3282

If the Canucks were a soccer team:

Other teams:

Futbol Hockey Kit - Imgur
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #3283
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I like the icing rule during PK... makes teams think twice about penalties then.
It can really clean up the game from stupid penalties and keep the flow of the game going.

I personally like the Shootout. It's exciting to watch. I don't understand why everyone hates it so much.
Maybe because it becomes a 1 on 1 showdown, rather than a team effort??
It's the quickest way to a conclusion to a game (in most cases).
Unless they plan to have OT only, and bring back ties.
I don't mind having the 4 on 4, and then 3 on 3. But I would rather keep the shootout.
Whenever a game heads to overtime, I always hope the game goes into shootout, and I actually feel jipped when it only ends in OT.

I don't like offside penalized rule... it can't be too harsh or it WILL just be dump & chase hockey.
A fair penalty would be that when the attacking team goes offside, the face-off will take place in the neutral zone,
at the dot besides the offending team's blue line, not at the dot beside the defending team's blue line.

I never noticed the Trapezoid issue... but probably because Luongo's horrible at puck handling...
it was probably a good thing to have for Vancouver... I don't mind it being removed though. I really don't care for either way.
It would affect some teams a lot, and not so much for some other teams, depending on their goalies.

The Goal Line Camera is a MUST. Put three tiny cameras in the frame...
top, and both sides. No more questionable goals. Should be very easy now...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #3284
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
If the Canucks were a soccer team:

Other teams:

Futbol Hockey Kit - Imgur
Whoever makes that '94 one can just take $150 out of my pocket now. Not even kidding. Want. Now.

The one with the modern colors looks like some made a bathrobe into a shirt with that pattern.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #3285
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
WOW thats hard to believe after how well he played for the Avs that no one wants him now. Signing for those big dollars with the Rangers sure fucked his career up.
This reenforces the point made by Matthew Barnaby on TSN a few years back.

It pays off more in the long run to stick with a team where you it's working for you, performance wise, than to go for the immediate big contract.

I'm sure Anson Carter woulda taken that 2mil with the Canucks looking back now.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #3286
...in the world.

Quote:
In reality, he wasn't much worse on the Rangers than he was anywhere else. His best offensive year ever was with Buffalo with 69 points. He hit 65 and 67 with the Avs. His first two years with the Rangers, he scored 58 and 56 points.

I don't know about you but I think that's about right. Consider how much better the Avs were at that time and how good the Sabres were at that point as well and the Rangers were a downgrade so he lost about 10 points on his average.

Still, rather consistent in the 55-70 point range with only two years where he failed to hit 50 points after his rookie season. It's not that he sucks, it's that he wasn't worth fucking $7m a year for 5 years. That shit is insane...just like every other contract the Rangers sign.

But he's got injury problems and he's 35. Why push it when you have a Cup and the Rangers just go done paying you $35 million? I'm sure someone offered him a 1-year, $1m deal somewhere to prove himself but he just didn't want to take it.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #3287
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

with that said, it sounds like that he was about the money...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #3288
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
This reenforces the point made by Matthew Barnaby on TSN a few years back.

It pays off more in the long run to stick with a team where you it's working for you, performance wise, than to go for the immediate big contract.

I'm sure Anson Carter woulda taken that 2mil with the Canucks looking back now.
lol I disagree, you only have so many years as a professional athlete, you get all the money you can asap. There is no guarantee sticking with the same team will = same results, personnel changes to the team/coaching happens every season and it wasn't like drury got that deal when he was a RFA hes not exactly young. That was definitely going to be the last big deal he got unless he turned out to be like a selanne.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #3289
Banned (ABWS)

everyone who goes to the NYR late in their career will likely to retire

richards and gaborik next to retire from NYR?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #3290
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
lol I disagree, you only have so many years as a professional athlete, you get all the money you can asap. There is no guarantee sticking with the same team will = same results, personnel changes to the team/coaching happens every season and it wasn't like drury got that deal when he was a RFA hes not exactly young. That was definitely going to be the last big deal he got unless he turned out to be like a selanne.
Half true... See NFL...true if contracts are guaranteed...should be performances based or youre outta there...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #3291
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'm sure someone offered him a 1-year, $1m deal somewhere to prove himself but he just didn't want to take it.
Reminds me of when Kevin Weekes said he would rather do colour on CBC than take on the role of a backup goalie, lol. I know he never turned out as the goalie of the future, but I really wish NYI or somebody who give him a starting job so I don't have to listen to him on HNIC.

If I was Drury and somebody was dangling say 50% more per year than I know I'm worth, for multiple years, I would be insane not to take it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #3292
...in the world.

Drury made the right call. A player in his point range, experience, etc is around the $4m range. That means he made almost $16m more than he was really worth.

He's 35 now so his next contract will count against the cap of whoever signs him regardless of whether he retires or is bought out or whatever. Think about that for a second. If Drury took a $4m deal from Buffalo instead of a $7.xx deal with NYR, he'd STILL be 35.

Even if he plays until he's 40, that means someone out there needs to give him at least $3m a year, 5-year contract NOW for him to make the same amount of money that he made with his NYR contract. He's not an elite player like Pronger. ZERO chance he'd get a $15m, 5-year contract at this point in his career.

TL;DR: By taking the NYR deal instead of staying in Buffalo, Drury made an extra $16m that he would have never gotten otherwise regardless of where he played. He made the smart play.

You might think I'm crazy but looking at the structure of his previous contract, I'm almost SURE this is how his agent explained it to him when he was choosing between Buffalo and New York.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #3293
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Does anyone have that Article on the Sedins growing up together and about how they were drafted by Burke??

I can't seem to find it

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3294

Okay guys,

So I'm in a keeper hockey pool and need some input.

Of these players I can only keep four and have to drop the rest.

1. Jeff Skinner
2. Jamie McBain (D)
3. Zach Bogosian (D)
4. Joe Colborne

5. Kyle Quincey (D)
6. Eric Tangradi
7. Nick Bjugstad

That is how I have them ranked. Does Colborne have a shot at being a top 6 forward in Toronto?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #3295
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

colborne is a risk because it depends if connolly gets injured or not. The TML has an effective 2nd line consisting of kulemin. grabo and macarthur- all 3 averaged 50 points last season, so colborne is definitely not playing in the 2nd line.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #3296
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Tried to find the video that goes with this, but IF every word was right....

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #3297

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Okay guys,

So I'm in a keeper hockey pool and need some input.

Of these players I can only keep four and have to drop the rest.

1. Jeff Skinner
2. Jamie McBain (D)
3. Zach Bogosian (D)
4. Joe Colborne

5. Kyle Quincey (D)
6. Eric Tangradi
7. Nick Bjugstad

That is how I have them ranked. Does Colborne have a shot at being a top 6 forward in Toronto?
Your rankings seem right, but I'd have have Bogosian over McBain. Colborne is a bit risky, as he might not make the top 6 in the Toronto. I'd take:

Skinner, Bogosian, McBain and Quincey just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #3298
My homepage has been set to RS

Quincey is with LA still right? He killed it about 2 years ago:getting points up the ass, including some PP. But now with Doughty and a rejuvenated Johnson on the PP point, I think quincey's value is going to plummet.

And Toronto?

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts

Last edited by trancehead; 08-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #3299
Banned (ABWS)

nick bjustad > colborne

more ice for nick in florida + talents
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #3300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
colborne is a risk because it depends if connolly gets injured or not. The TML has an effective 2nd line consisting of kulemin. grabo and macarthur- all 3 averaged 50 points last season, so colborne is definitely not playing in the 2nd line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Your rankings seem right, but I'd have have Bogosian over McBain. Colborne is a bit risky, as he might not make the top 6 in the Toronto. I'd take:

Skinner, Bogosian, McBain and Quincey just to be on the safe side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
nick bjustad > colborne

more ice for nick in florida + talents

All valid points guys, thanks.

Now I'm leaning towards Quincey for that final 4th spot because I think he'll get a good amount of playing time in Colorado. I think he'll get top 4 minutes and return to the points per game he had before last season which was due to a shoulder injury.

As for Bjustad, I would love to keep him, but even for a keeper league, I think he's still a bit a ways from making the team in Florida. I might be able to re-draft him in a later round of our draft. He did well at the US national junior evaluation camp.