REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #501
degenerate extraordinaire

they should use Couture's picture to replace the current/old "Internet. Serious business." meme
Advertisement
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #502
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

the best goalie of all time is not really relevant. The best goalie at the right time is what's important
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #503
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
Spoiler!
willie mitchell! i still miss having him on our team
Spoiler!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #504
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
The Canucks had a great run this year, but only those who were old enough to remember the run in '94 can understand and appreciate how good that team was. The regular season wasn't an indicator of how much heart and ability to pull through in the clutch that team had. Trevor Linden played with bruised ribs and he still scored 2 goals in Game 7.

Team 1040 interviewed Sergio Momesso a couple of weeks ago and he was still upset at how Gregson called several penalties on the Canucks in the first 2 periods. The Rangers scored 2 power play goals that game which were the difference. Compare that with how Game 7 this year was officiated.

After this year's run, I can still proudly claim that the '94 team was the better team. They will remain so until the Canucks win the Cup.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #505
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The Canucks had a great run this year, but only those who were old enough to remember the run in '94 can understand and appreciate how good that team was. The regular season wasn't an indicator of how much heart and ability to pull through in the clutch that team had.

Team 1040 interviewed Sergio Momesso a couple of weeks ago and he was still upset at how Gregson called several penalties on the Canucks in the first 2 periods. The Rangers scored 2 power play goals that game which were the difference. Compare that with how Game 7 this year was officiated.

After this year's run, I can still proudly claim that the '94 team was the better team. They will remain so until the Canucks win the Cup.
The best thing about the Canucks team from '94 was the fact that they weren't the most talented team but the team with the most heart & determination. Linden pushing himself to the max during the last 2 games was just beyond epic.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #506
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
The best thing about the Canucks team from '94 was the fact that they weren't the most talented team but the team with the most heart & determination. Linden pushing himself to the max during the last 2 games was just beyond epic.
It's really too bad that most Canucks fans here only saw Linden play in the twilight of his career. In the early 1990s, he was awesome: he could skate like the wind, he could hit, and he always showed up in the playoffs.

That 1994 team was actually very talented, but the Rangers were simply stacked: Messier, Graves, Leetch, a young Kovalev, Zubov, Richter, Lowe, and the list goes on. And they were coached by one of the biggest SOBs of all time whose old school tactics worked. We came within a goal post of tying the game. This year's Canucks played Game 7 like they knew they were going to lose.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #507
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I just saw a re-run of How i met your mother

anyone remember this?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #508
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The Canucks had a great run this year, but only those who were old enough to remember the run in '94 can understand and appreciate how good that team was. The regular season wasn't an indicator of how much heart and ability to pull through in the clutch that team had. Trevor Linden played with bruised ribs and he still scored 2 goals in Game 7.

Ironically, if 94's game 7 was played today, there would be about 2000 penalties
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #509
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

From Elliot Friedman's blog:

Quote:
Considering the level of disappointment the Vancouver organization had with the refereeing in the Stanley Cup Final, the Sedins showed an unbelievable amount of class by skating over to the officials after the handshakes and thanking them. According to one source, their comments were along the lines of, "We know that a lot gets said. This is an emotional time and you shouldn't take all of it personally." And, if anyone thinks that makes them soft, the two Flyers who did the same thing last year were Mike Richards and Chris Pronger.
Quote:
Forget the contract. Roberto Luongo and the Vancouver Canucks should take a deep breath, wait a little while until the emotion dies down, then seriously and honestly chat about the future. Doubt he'd have complaints about the organization, but it says a lot about his stature in the city that the Canucks scored just eight goals in seven games and Luongo is receiving the most blame. My guess: He loves his teammates, but can't stand the fan base. Is that enough for him to want to stay?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #510
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
That's what's missing from the 2011 team, grit, heart and determination. Kesler would make a better captain (though Mike Richards has shown to have been the better pick). Henrik has got to be the most passive captain I've ever seen. Even Gretzky had fought at least a couple of times. I guess we could put Rypien in there to protect them but I don't know if you can protect anyone anymore. They need a big bully on that line. In 94 canucks were big and mean. Odjick player with Bure and nobody complained that he wasn't putting up points.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #511
I HERP TO YOU DERP

nhl awards tmr?

imma tune that out for sure
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #512
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Thanks!
For the longest time, I've been trying to find videos of McLean (or any standup goalie from the past).
I've always wanted to see how they make those saves without relying on the butterfly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippynixx View Post
I agree that it is all mental with him, now is keepin him in the net for 8 goals healthy? regardless on how much he wants to play?

Another example where AV failed.

I'd rather see Roberto sitting on the bench mad then be left in and have another team get in his head.
People can debate whether it was right or wrong for AV to actually let Luongo decide for himself.
But remember, AV asked him when it was 5-0. And all was "good" until the last 2 minutes and 30 seconds of the game.
And then 3 goals went in within that span of time. Was there really a point for AV to put in Schneider with less than 2:30 left in the game??

After it was 6-1, I assume AV didn't think Canucks would still let in 2 more after that with so little time left.
In a sense, AV didn't really leave Luongo in there for 8 goals. Technically, it was really only 5... maybe 6 goals, depending on how you look at it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #513
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Thanks!
For the longest time, I've been trying to find videos of McLean (or any standup goalie from the past).
I've always wanted to see how they make those saves without relying on the butterfly.
Except for the occasional spectacular glove save or pad stack, they didn't

Here is some good one on one footage from 1980 against Mike Palmateer (the Tim Thomas of the 80's )

This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #514
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

LIKE A BOSS

lol Burrows.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #515
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
he still looks the same

before he got fat

lol

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #516
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It's amazing how some of them look pretty much the same now as they were when they were kids... LOL
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #517
I HERP TO YOU DERP

iginla rofl
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #518
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Except for the occasional spectacular glove save or pad stack, they didn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUiIsZOLXPA

Here is some good one on one footage from 1980 against Mike Palmateer (the Tim Thomas of the 80's )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_RsuT8ZmsQ
Guarantee at 0:28, Thomas wouldn't have given up on that play, and would
have made a ridiculous diving stick save.

Pretty funny when Palmateer tries to stay balanced on his feet on some saves, but ends up hopping and flopping over after.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #519

Quote:
Thanks!
And here's how you protected your goalie.

The videos on the last two pages are pretty much a summary of why Bettman gets booed in everywhere he goes.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #520
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
So far I say yes by far. More heart, more clutch. If you compare their to runs to the finals well McLean didn't get embarrassed like Luongo. But I guess you can say that for the whole team. In 94 the nucks fought. They finished teams
off. If I counted right,

chance to eliminate other team 94 team 3 - 1 , 2011 team 4 - 7
facing elimination 94 team 5 - 1 , 2011 team 0 - 1

94 the canucks forced game 7 from being down 3 - 1, twice.
2011 the hawks forced game 7 from being down 3 - 1

Goals, Henrik = 3, Daniel = 9, Kesler = 7 for a total of 19
Bure had 16 himself and he scored that Game 7 2OT goal
Linden scored 12 and our only 2 goals in Game 7 of the finals. I think the kids these days would say he "lead the team like a boss". Kirk stopped 54 shots against the Rangers in game 1, stopped the Flames for 3 OTs in a row.
Maybe cause I was a kid when I watch all this but he's on youtube. here's one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgrFCIJPvo
Note he stays on his feet

I wished that team won. McLean was heroic. The team was heroic.
Ya they were great at comebacks but to be fair this years team was never behind in a series, not once. At the end of the day the result was the same, a loss in game 7 of the SCF. Bures speed and Trevors heart were something to watch though.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #521
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Different time, different style, different kind of goalie. In the 94 year, McLean was in line for the Vezina with Patrick Roy. He was also in line for the Conn Smythe had Vancouver won the cup. He was the best of the stand up style goalies and was always even keel, always. I don't think I've ever seen him get shaken or rattled, even when losing.

Quote:
I noticed McLean wasn't thrown in that mix.
I was still new to hockey back in the day, so I'm not 100% sure about McLean's play.
But besides the one season he came 1 game away from winning the cup, was he really the elite goalie everyone in vancouver talks about,
or is that hype?

I just looked up his stats on wiki... seemed like he was a pretty good goalie in the early 90s (before I started watching hockey)

So just asking, Kirk McLean better than Luongo all time?

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Ya they were great at comebacks but to be fair this years team was never behind in a series, not once. At the end of the day the result was the same, a loss in game 7 of the SCF. Bures speed and Trevors heart were something to watch though.
That;s what irks me the most. They could have walked through to the cup. Instead, round 1, an almost sweep turned into 3 games of shame until barely squeeking by in game 7. Then in the finals they got rocked in every road game. They couldn't score a goal couldnt stop one. Canucks also had home ice in every series. In 94 the exact opposite. It was like once they had the hawks down 3 - 0 they were shocked that they still needed to win more games.

Anyways this team should be back next year hopefully. And hope no one is banging Luongo's wife
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #523
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
WTF?

I just realized the ending got cut off. OMG, does he save the last shot or not?!!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #524
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercloset View Post
We're not on his wishlist.

And it seems like he's leaning towards signing with Pittsburgh, if the Pens want him that is.
i know we are not.. but it would be awesome... plus i dont think we have the cap big enough for him..

hes always like Pittsburgh.. im guessing Lemieux will convenience Jagr to go pittsburgh..
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #525
I HERP TO YOU DERP

i read a few things about jagr being a locker room cancer so i wouldnt mind him NOT being here at all...

we have a tight and close group - we should keep it that way
Closed Thread