REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #426

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I remember reading a post saying "Be careful what you wish for Canucks fans" - Flyers fan.

I would hands down have Lu as my goalie ANY day of week for my team instead of a goalie grave yard with inconsistent goalies every year. I don't blame Lu for our losses in the finals. It was just bad timing on the injuries we had.

Just look at Philly for an example. They have a stacked team with elite forwards and defencemen. If it wasn't for their inconsistent goaltending, IMO they would be repeat NHL champions.

Goaltending and defense wins championships, remember that.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #427
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Get to game 7 of Stanley cup finals... Trade goalie.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #428
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
repeat? they lost to chicago in the final
Spoiler!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #429
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Man it should have ended in Game 6 if they put in Schneider... but nooooooo... Lus the #1 and HAS to be in net to win...

given how they played in the reg season, all the series in the playoffs should not have gone past 5 games... 6 games maybe but definitely not up to game 7.. just ridiculous for a team that does so well in the reg season.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Man it should have ended in Game 6 if they put in Schneider... but nooooooo... Lus the #1 and HAS to be in net to win...

given how they played in the reg season, all the series in the playoffs should not have gone past 5 games... 6 games maybe but definitely not up to game 7.. just ridiculous for a team that does so well in the reg season.
No way would I have put Schneids in game 6. Lu came off of a shutout and he doesn't get the start? That would be a HUGE slap in the face for him [going into game 6]. We can sit here and say "we should've, we could've, we would've put Schneider in for game 6", but we didn't. Leave it at that.

It's a completely different game in the playoffs. Statistics don't mean shit. The underdog can upset the favorite any given day. Mind you, injuries caught up with the team late into the playoffs preventing them from performing the way they did compared to regular season.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #431
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

now we wouldn't want Lu to leave and be stuck with goalies like Cloutier, Brochu and Sabourin do we?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #432
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I sort of agree that putting Schneider in net may have won the game but the long terms effects of doing so would be huge. It's just disrespectful to the guy that has brought you all this way...not to mention how the team would see it. It would show the lack of confidence the team had in Lu.

Either way, it would've never happened and it should never happen.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #433
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I'm so annoyed by all the people that keep assuming Canucks would have won with Schneider in net. Remember, Canucks couldn't even score on Thomas...
Maybe that had something to do with not winning.

Maybe if Canucks PP didn't go 1/65 (or something ridiculous like that), they wouldn't have lost.
And don't even get me started on the people blaming the refs with stats like that.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 06-20-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #434
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:

Get Shutout in Game 5 and then get benched for Game 6? lol
You should be our coach bro, I bet we'd be perennial Stanley Cup champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #435
My homepage has been set to RS

Schneider will have his ups and downs. Every young goalie does and you see many examples. It's a lot different being a backup/noob where nobody knows how you play vs a starter where they have time to figure you out.

As for Luongo vs Thomas (by Kevin Woodley):

Quote:
"[He's] very much a structured goaltender. Very much a rigid butterfly-style goaltender. When the Canucks are tight defensively and taking away second chances in the middle of the ice, he is among the best. But when there are breakdowns, the difference between him and the athletic and acrobatic Tim Thomas -- in terms of their ability to pick up those mistakes for their teammates with the big, timely, athletic diving saves -- is that you can't get a book on Thomas. With Luongo, when someone walks in alone there are two spots: High glove and five-hole. He's just so rigid in his structure that it's become easier for teams to target him and break him down."
Quote:
Thomas is typically at his most aggressive off the rush. That sometimes creates backwards flow that leaves him off angle and causes some of the “soft” goals he gave up in the Eastern Conference final against Tampa Bay.

Like all goalies, there are good and bad with Thomas, strengths and weaknesses. The aggressiveness that serves him so well can be used against him without the right kind of help from his defense. It’s no different than Roberto Luongo getting ventilated because of his deeper positioning when the Canucks gave up the middle of the ice to the corner-picking Blackhawks in the first round.

Luongo didn’t change after that, but his team has done a better job since at shutting down the front of his net, including second chances the first two games of the final. Similarly, Thomas didn’t change dramatically after the first two games of this series.

Their differing styles are not always perfect, and won’t always work, but it’s also part of why they’re playing for the Stanley Cup.
He's got some weak parts of his game he can and needs to improve on because they really get exploited. Game 6 was a horrible game for him. I was disappointed AV didn't put Schneider in after 2 goals to give Boston a different look.

At the same time, the "blame Luongo" posts make some of you guys sound really dumb TBH. 15 wins.. selective memory.. time to finger point! Really? In 2011, I don't see any brick wall goalies anymore. Even as fans, meaningful analysis/criticism is productive. Knee-jerk blaming on this scale, I really believe, gets into their heads to some extent.

Want to learn more about goaltending? Try strapping on the pads. Or read Kevin Woodley www.ingoalmag.com
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #436
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I sort of agree that putting Schneider in net may have won the game but the long terms effects of doing so would be huge. It's just disrespectful to the guy that has brought you all this way...not to mention how the team would see it. It would show the lack of confidence the team had in Lu.

When it came down to a best of three, I saw it as a short tourney like the Olympics. You go with whoever can get the job done. But hindsight is 20/20.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #437
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:

Wow I jus---wow.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #438
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
drop it off before sunday

anymore info???
Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #439
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
^ forgot the address ill update u guys tmr

Toronto worst city for pro sport HA-HA!
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #440
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Wow, mike Gillis sure gets a lot of tire pumping, considering the core of the team was put together by Burke and Nonis. Something Gillis never gives credit for btw.

Gillis has done a good job of filling gaps and basically not fucking up like a lot of GMs do. I don't thunk he's a "genius" though...
Patrick White for Erhoff. MG = Genius
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
No way would I have put Schneids in game 6. Lu came off of a shutout and he doesn't get the start?
he let in 12 goals in 2 games in boston.. isnt that a sign?? so what does he do in game 6 at boston...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #442

Quote:
he let in 12 goals in 2 games in boston.. isnt that a sign?? so what does he do in game 6 at boston...
So what? He had 2 shutouts in 3 home games, isn't that a sign?

Thank god you're not the coach of the team...
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #443
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
I dun think any coach has put in their backup goalie in the Stanley Cup finals after their starter got a shut out the game before.

It would have been the boldest move ever made.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #444
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

This.

If we had a 3-0 lead in the series like the CHI series, it would have made for a stronger case to put Corey on for Game 6 and have Lu back in Game 7. However, Lu just came out of a shutout.

The series reminded me of the Flames/Canucks series in 2004. We just got outworked, out-coached, and ran out of gas.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
So what? He had 2 shutouts in 3 home games, isn't that a sign?

Thank god you're not the coach of the team...
Posted via RS Mobile
some goalies just cant do good in certain arenas.. call me superstitious...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #446
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Looks like its only a matter of days till Jagr is back

Quote:
Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda this morning tells me it's down to 3 teams: Pittsburgh, Detroit and one other NHL team he doesn't want to name.
53 minutes ago
Quote:
``He’s really decided he wants to play in the NHL and he’s excited about it. He’s ready for the challenge,’’ Svoboda told ESPN.com.
53 minutes ago
Quote:
Svoboda plans to meet with Jagr again later today. Decision should come within next few days
53 minutes ago
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #447

CANUCKS should get Jagr!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #448
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Doesn't seem like GMMG wants to move Ballard, as he openly stated.

If we end up re-signing all of Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Hansen and Lapierre, we will probably no room to acquire a 2nd liner to play alongside Kesler unless we trade, or just bring someone up from the farm.

I'm hoping AV pulls his head out of his arse and give Ballard proper ice time next season, pair him with Tanev, give him 1st/2nd unit PK and 2nd unit PP duties.

1st unit PK: Hamhuis-Ballard or 2nd unit PK: Ballard-Edler/Ehrhoff
2nd unit PP: Ballard-Bieksa/Tanev/Edler (if Samuelsson and Ehrhoff are on the point)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #449
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
CANUCKS should get Jagr!!
We're not on his wishlist.

And it seems like he's leaning towards signing with Pittsburgh, if the Pens want him that is.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #450
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercloset View Post
Doesn't seem like GMMG wants to move Ballard, as he openly stated.

If we end up re-signing all of Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Hansen and Lapierre, we will probably no room to acquire a 2nd liner to play alongside Kesler unless we trade, or just bring someone up from the farm.

I'm hoping AV pulls his head out of his arse and give Ballard proper ice time next season, pair him with Tanev, give him 1st/2nd unit PK and 2nd unit PP duties.

1st unit PK: Hamhuis-Ballard or 2nd unit PK: Ballard-Edler/Ehrhoff
2nd unit PP: Ballard-Bieksa/Tanev/Edler (if Samuelsson and Ehrhoff are on the point)

this better not be the case. we need someone who can compete at the NHL level to compliment kesler at his BEST; which is obviously right now. otherwise it's going to continue being a helicopter 2nd line.
Spoiler!
Closed Thread