REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #3151
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
RIP. Maybe the personal issues were a factor in his death, but he will always be remembered for trying to fight guys twice his size.
Boris Valabik vs Rick Rypien Dec 10, 2009 - Canucks TV feed - YouTube
I'd say it's more than a "maybe". The guy had some pretty serious mental issues, which actually explains his suicidal tendencies to fight bigger guys. Also explains the incident where he went after a fan... It got to the point where he couldn't even play any more, which is pretty bad, and I guess the time off didn't help at all.

Anyone know if Ripper ever had concussion problems? If so, this is just another suicide/overdose in a looooooooooooooong line of very sick, depressed athletes and pro wrestlers. If not, the poor guy was just ill
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #3152
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
RIP Rick Rypien. Watching all these video's and geez what a pitbull he is. I notice in all these video's he's the one throwing the first punch. Way to man up for your boys.

Defiantly will be missed. Thanks for the brilliant year's that you gave us, it was a pleasure being your fan.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #3153
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

News 1130 reporting he did indeed take his own life.. very sad.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #3154
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

rip rick rypien
Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #3155
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Former Canuck Rick Rypien found dead - News1130

Quote:
COLEMAN, AB (NEWS1130) - Former Vancouver Canucks player Rick Rypien was found dead in his Coleman, Alberta home by a family member on Monday afternoon. He was 27-years-old.

Rypien spent a half dozen seasons in the Canucks organization, where he played 119 games and had nine goals, seven assists and 226 penalty minutes.

He signed a one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets as a free agent in July. Rypien was familiar with the ownership of the Jets, as that group owned the Canucks farm team, the Manitoba Moose during the forward's time with the Canucks.

With the Canucks, Rypien had taken a couple of leaves of absence during his tenure for personal reasons. His most recent time away from the club came last November. He returned to hockey in the spring and played 18 games in the regular season and playoffs with the Moose in Winnipeg.

Rypien's agent Allain Roy spoke with his client on Saturday morning and said the centre was looking forward to training camp with the Jets next month.

RCMP in southwestern Alberta have told several media outlets, they have confirmed a non-suspicious, sudden death.

Resources
For information and resources on suicide prevention, visit Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of British Columbia, or phone 1-800-SUICIDE in BC.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #3156
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
didnt another nhl player die a little while ago? pill overdose or something?

:/
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #3157
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
man... it's still hard to believe he's gone just like that.

Canucks statement:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=555357
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 08-15-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #3158
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
didnt another nhl player die a little while ago? pill overdose or something?

:/
Derek Boogaard
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #3159
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Fuck man, I don't usually get affected hearing other peoples' passings, but this Rypien thing is getting to me for some reason.

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #3160
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Ugh, RIP Rypien...

Although I hate to say that I'm not surprised...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #3161
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wow .why'd he suicide ? Just signed a new contract and had a fresh start. RIP Rypien.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3162
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

RIP Rick Rypien...you will be missed :'(
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #3163
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van19 View Post
Wow .why'd he suicide ? Just signed a new contract and had a fresh start. RIP Rypien.
Posted via RS Mobile
He took 2 extended absences from the team. It's been rumored he's suffering from depression and was suicidal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #3164
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

letting go by the canucks probably drove him over the edge even if the jets did sign him afterwards...i loved the tenacity he brought to the canucks especially his fights....

i will indeed remember him as a canucks player and not a jets player...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #3165
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

btw...this was not the type of news i look for...i'd take a slow summer nhl news day than hear this kind of tragedy...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #3166
SardaukarMod

RIP.

edit:

comments from players around the league and his family:
Spoiler!

best: Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings: "RIP Rick Rypien. He was a warrior. Hit me so hard my eyes couldn't focus for 30 secs. Not sure if it was a left or right. #hitmewithboth"
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)

Last edited by seakrait; 08-15-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #3167
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
News 1130 said the Canucks will have some sort of thing at Rogers center on wednesday from 2 pm to 8 pm to honor Rypien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #3168

RIP...your fights were epic
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #3169
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

RIP Rypien
Forever a fighter
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #3170
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Ultimate teammate hid his dark emotions
Scrappy player Rypien battled with depression
By: Gary Lawless

Posted: 08/15/2011 10:54 PM

Rick Rypien punched above his weight class most nights in pro hockey as well as in his everyday battle with depression.
Often Rypien was able to win on the ice but his illness refused to stay in the shadows.
The 27-year-old Winnipeg Jets winger was found dead Monday in his home near Coleman, Alta.
Rypien saw action in parts of six NHL seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, but played in just 119 games over that time due to injuries and two separate leaves from the team due to personal issues.
After leaving the Canucks this past season to deal with his illness, Rypien came to Winnipeg, the place of his start as a pro, to play for the Moose and rejuvenate his career.
The normally businesslike Rypien arrived in Winnipeg tanned, relaxed and much quicker with a smile than the media had ever seen in his previous stints with the Moose.
Former teammate, roommate and dressing room stall neighbour Mike Keane said Rypien had appeared to find some peace in his life.
"He seemed to be in a good place. We chatted off and on this summer and he was happy with the way things were going and the way he was feeling," said Keane. "I don’t know what to say. It’s a shock. His demons were stronger than anyone knew."
Jets assistant GM Craig Heisinger brought Rypien to Winnipeg back in the Manitoba Moose days and was the player’s greatest champion.
Heisinger was Rypien’s confidante, friend and supporter.
When the Jets began signing free agents as a new NHL team, it was no surprise to anyone with a passing knowledge of the relationship between the two men that the Jets added Rypien.
Jets owner Mark Chipman commented on the day Rypien was signed that the team had immeasurably upped its character quotient.
"I was happy he had signed with the Jets. Zinger and Chip had Rip’s best interests in mind. They looked out for him and they wanted the best for him," said Keane. "They took care of him when he needed it. I was happy he was back here because it was the right place for him."
Rypien arrived in Winnipeg an undrafted free agent in the spring of 2005 and immediately earned the respect and admiration of Moose coach Randy Carlyle.
Carlyle famously mistrusted rookies, but Rypien proved to be responsible defensively and willing to do whatever he could to help his team win.
Others noticed, too, and it took Rypien less than a season to go from a skinny but deadly AHL middleweight to an NHL buzz saw.
Heisinger discovered Rypien playing for the Regina Pats in the Western Hockey League and described him as "a really good player on a really bad team."
Heisinger noted that Rypien never quit in games as a junior despite most of them being losing causes. Heisinger reasoned the player would bring that same will to pro hockey.
Boy, was he right.
His first night in a Moose jersey, Rypien took on a much larger opponent in a scrap in front of the Moose bench and despite the size disadvantage managed to score a victory. His new teammates could hardly believe their eyes as this wisp of a boy, who couldn’t put together a moustache if you spotted him three months, hung on for dear life and kept firing punches until his dance partner wore out and moved in for the clinch.
It was the ultimate first impression as the banging of sticks against the Moose bench boards told the whole building.
Rypien was bone sewn together with sinew covered by a layer of muscle. His body was all angles and edges and he threw it at any and all opponents with complete abandon.
"He was the ultimate teammate," said Keane. "We were roommates for a couple of years and we sat beside each other in the room. You couldn’t ask for anything more. You could see it in the way he played. He played hard and he stuck up for his teammates. He worked hard on his game and constantly tried to get better. That’s how you win in pro hockey, with people like Rip."
Calgary Flames forward Guillaume Desbiens played with Rypien in Manitoba and Vancouver.
"It’s messed up. I just found out. I’m flabbergasted," said Desbiens from his home in Montreal. "From the first time you met Rip, he was a great guy to be around. His personal problems have been written about a lot lately and that paints him in a bad light. He was easy to be around and fun to be around. He was a great teammate , the kind of guy you looked forward to coming to the rink with and building a team."
Keane said Rypien hid his dark emotions.
"People didn’t know what he was feeling. He never showed it," said Keane. "It’s so sad. There’s really no words for it. I don’t know what to say."
Ultimate teammate hid his dark emotions - Winnipeg Free Press
Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #3171
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Rick Rypien tribute song from the homie Matt Brevner

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #3172
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
to think he was that bad that he couldnt have lived to play for the jets

although being let go by the Nucks was a huge blow i'm sure, going back to Winnipeg would have probably been a great opportunity and there were probably as many Rypien fans there than in Vancouver from the moose days
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #3173
I don't get it

can't believe this is foreals.

RIP
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #3174
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
RIP rypien you were a beast
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #3175

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
something sickening i heard while at a restaurant today: "well he wasn't that great of a player for us anyways so why is everyone so worked up".

needless to say, people around him heard and one fan gave him an earful before the manager told him to calm down.

RIP Rypien, you will be missed by the REST of us
Closed Thread