REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #3451
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Ugh.....so many decisions to make for this weekend's pool draft

There's 14 of us and I'm drafted 3rd in a non-snaking draft. Tempted to pick up Crosby if he drops to the 2nd round.
start doing your homework haha
Advertisement

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #3452

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
LOL

@vancouvermetro: Attempt to ship $12K worth of bogus Winnipeg Jets jerseys crashes and burns at the border Metro - $12,000 worth of bogus Winnipeg Jets jerseys seized at border
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #3453
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
I found this quite interesting
let Puck Daddy explain

Ryan Kesler vs Nick Mangold of the NY Jets on the topic of "Kes-lurking"
Team Mangold vs. Team Kesler: Who is master of the Photobomb? - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

ends with a war of words on twitter between kesler, Mangold and Mark Sanchez

LOL
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #3454
degenerate extraordinaire

Wade Belak found dead

Ex-Leafs enforcer Belak found dead | Hockey | Sports | Toronto Sun
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #3455
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Boogard
Rypien and now Belak

wtfux is happening
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #3456
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
WTF?!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #3457
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
This is not a good look for the NHL

RIP
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #3458
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
its never good when anyone dies
but man..all 3 players have a past of fighting
Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #3459
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
WTF!! Just saw on TSN.

R.I.P

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #3460

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
RIP Belak
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #3461
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Wow wtf....

RIP

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #3462
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
RIP

These men were 4th liners, tough guys that had to, literally, fight for a spot to play in the NHL. It's terrifying to think what kind of demons they battled and subsequently lost to.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #3463
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Also suicide by hanging? Did he have issues with depression too?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #3464
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

....RIP
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #3465
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
RIP Wade Belak

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #3466
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
retired in april. must be tough being a pro athlete and have nothing to do when training camp starts
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #3467
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
he was gonna work with preds radio crew, also was going to be on battle of the blades, which was in pre-filiming which was also why he was in Toronto

they always talk about how much these "tough guys" must go through to make it in the NHL and the demons, but fuck really how hard could it possibly be? is it really that mentally taxing to be an "enforcer" ? or is it just the physical pain and subsequent painkiller meds that put these guys in this spot

looking from the outside life cant be all that bad for a guy making a nice 6 figure salary for a good chunk of time with a reasonably bright future ahead of them.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #3468
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
RIP Belak. He was one of my favourites when he played for the Leafs and he had such a great off-ice personality and sense of humor.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #3469
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
RIP Belak. This was more shocking than Rypien, Ryp always was the quite one who kept to himself most times and did have personal issues having to take leaves of absences from the team. Belak always seemed like a really well adjusted, outgoing, humorous and happy individual. He had a young family as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
he was gonna work with preds radio crew, also was going to be on battle of the blades, which was in pre-filiming which was also why he was in Toronto

they always talk about how much these "tough guys" must go through to make it in the NHL and the demons, but fuck really how hard could it possibly be? is it really that mentally taxing to be an "enforcer" ? or is it just the physical pain and subsequent painkiller meds that put these guys in this spot

looking from the outside life cant be all that bad for a guy making a nice 6 figure salary for a good chunk of time with a reasonably bright future ahead of them.
Over the years, I've been lucky enough to meet and become friends with several former and current NHLers, having chatted about stuff like this with some of them. Without naming names, I'm hoping I could provide some insight and understanding.

First thing to keep in mind is that for the majority of pro hockey enforcers, none of them wanted to have to be a fighter for a living. Most of them do it out of necessity to make it to or to keep a job in the NHL. These guys aren't boxers or MMA athletes that chose to fight for a living and have that mind sight of wanting/loving to fight.

Most hockey enforcers get extremely nervous about having to fight, some even for days before playing another team where they know they will be expected to drop the gloves against that teams enforcers. Knowing you have to fight to keep your job in the NHL but not wanting to fight takes a toll on these guys mentally. A lot of these guys turn to drugs and or alcohol to deal with this, which in some cases can lead to substance abuse. Substance abuse and not wanting to fight but having to, can certainly alter ones personalty negatively and/or result in personal demons. Some might be thinking, that no one is forcing these guys to be a hockey player for a living, but for most, it is the only way they know how to support themselves and their loved ones. For some, their whole identity and all they know is to be a hockey player.

Before this next point, let me first say that I have no issue with fighting in hockey and am not one of those advocating for it to be taken out of hockey, I've been in a number of fights in my personal/professional life and constantly train in boxing and various MMA disciplines, but unlike boxing or MMA, fighting in hockey is bare knuckle, no gloves, bare knuckle shots hurt. Most people would be surprised the amount of pro athletes who abuse the use of oxy to help deal with the pain of just playing hockey for a living, now imagine the amount of oxy an enforcer feels he needs. Repeated bare knuckle blows to your head can result in concussions, which in a lot of cases of former NHLers and NFLers have lead to an onset of depression. Some individuals just can't deal with depression or drug abuse well and maybe in the cases of Rypien and Belak, saw no other way out but suicide.

Last edited by 7seven; 08-31-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #3470
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,040 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ this.

Most enforcers made it that far because they could actually play. When coaches (junior or whatever) pressure guys with natural ability to fight because they seem to have the chin for it - and it brings another 'element' to their game - many make the adjustment and literally fight for the opportunity to make the NHL and earn pro money.

Some are cut out for it, others aren't.

RIP Wade Belak

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by punkwax; 08-31-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #3471
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

poor guy...

this might be the beginning of the end of fighting in the NHL...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #3472
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
poor guy...

this might be the beginning of the end of fighting in the NHL...
Doubt it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #3473
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
fighting in hockey is bare knuckle, no gloves, bare knuckle shots hurt. Most people would be surprised the amount of pro athletes who abuse the use of oxy to help deal with the pain of just playing hockey for a living, now imagine the amount of oxy an enforcer feels he needs.
Don't forget the damage they do to their hands and knuckles when the first few punches are directly onto the helmet of the opposing fighter.

Out of anger, I punched a wooden wall at work. It took quite a few weeks before I was able to close my hand to make a fist without it hurting. And even though it has been almost a year, my knuckle is not the same. If you compare my two hands, you can spot the difference.

I remember there was a clip where Don Cherry was talking about meeting some enforcer guy and his 2 knuckles were smashed. Now imaging that same guy having to go out next game and knows he has to fight that team's enforcer with said smashed knuckles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #3474
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Call me cold hearted or whatever but for 800k a year a few broken bones seems a small price to pay, people live much tougher lives then these enforcers who might earn an 8th of what they do..

All these deaths kind of seem similar to all the WWE deaths that happened a while back
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #3475
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

A few broken bones isn't the only price to pay.. If you read 7seven's post... it goes much deeper, and further than any physical "pain".

Talk about the concussions, eventual psychological repercussions from repeated bare-knuckled blows. Clearly 800k/year wasn't enough to keep these guys from their eventual downfall.

Yeah it may seem as if most hockey players live a glorious career, and yes they do get paid more and are subject to a much more lavish lifestyle than most. However, one cannot attest to knowing what kind of mental trauma any/all these 'enforcers' encounter.
Closed Thread