REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #19976
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
McKenzie: The two other guys in that Magnificent tribute

Imagine being immortilized forever but not because of something great you did.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #19977
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Here's the story if you don't want to click the link

Quote:
So, Rich Pilon, how does it feel to be immortalized in the bronze Mario Lemieux statue unveiled today in Pittsburgh, with Le Magnifique splitting the New York Islander defence pairing of Pilon and Jeff Norton for all eternity?

"To tell you the truth, it's very cool," Pilon told TSN, just minutes after the statue was unveiled in Pittsburgh. "I have no problem with it. If you're going to get beat on a play and it's there for everyone to see forever, it might as well be Mario. He did that to a lot of defencemen."

Pilon wasn't aware he was part of the statue until he got a text shortly after 12 noon today from his old buddy and former teammate Dean Chynoweth.

"I remember the play pretty well," Pilon said. "I have the photo, actually. Someone I know had a hockey calendar with that photo (taken by Sports Illustrated's Paul Bereswill) and they sent to me. It's right up there on my office wall. So I remember the play well. Mario scored a lot of his big goals against the Islanders.

"That was my rookie season (Dec. 20, 1988). No shame in a rookie getting beaten like that by Mario. It was a privilege just to play in the NHL and against players like Mario."

The Penguins say they chose that particular image as the basis for the statue because "it was a metaphor for everything Lemieux accomplished in his career and his life, breaking through defenders, overcoming obstacles, turning back challenges."

Pilon certainly recovered from that Lemieux goal. He went on to play 631 regular season games over 14 NHL seasons, mostly with the Islanders but also the New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues.

The 43-year-old is now living in Saskatoon with his wife and two children. He notes he's been sober for seven years and life is good, working with Cameco, the uranium mining company.

"I'm doing a project called Dream and Believe," Pilon said. "It's aimed at kids eight to 14 years old in northern Saskatchewan communities and we're using hockey to help them stay away from (substance abuse). So I'm at a good place right now and doing well."

And that's even with Mario beating him and Norton for all eternity.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #19978
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
^so lets say daniel saw a bruin player in a vunerable position and he decided to lay him out with a perfectly clean check, he should answer the bell? I only believe in answering the bell if u throw a dirty hit.
Posted via RS Mobile
Cmon now, you're comparing apples to oranges

Sedin vs Kronwall, and the fact that Kronwall lined that hit up (his go to hit that he is KNOWN for), as he does with his other ones, which Sedin never does (and has no reputation for), as I've only seen him do the usual non vulnerable body checks to the boards.

An injured player on the ice (regardless of dirty/clean hit) SHOULD pretty much automatically equate some kind of response from the injured players' team. Seeing the Buffalo team have no response when Lucic ran into Miller was absolutely retarded and shouldn't have been the case. Even for a majority of the clean hits, I always see the player throwing the hit drop the gloves (even immediately when the opposing player is skating towards him), not because he has to, but because he should and to own up for his actions and a sign of respect.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #19979
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Ok how about i use kesler instead of sedin. He throws a big but clean hit, and the opposing teams resident tough guy challenges him to a fight..... We lose Kesler at the minimum of 5 minutes(im assuming he wont get injured in the fight) and the other team loses a guy that play less than 10mins a game. And the lucic miller incident is different. Tht was a dirty play. I dont think being a star player or a hitter makes a difference. Making clean checks in this league shouldnt be punished by fighting an opposing player
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #19980
My homepage has been set to RS

David Booth on TEAM1040 | TEAM Radio | TEAM 1040 AM | TEAM 1410 AM | Home of the Canucks, Whitecaps FC and BC Lions

Boother on 1040. Seems like a genuine dude, hopefully he brings it in the playoffs!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #19981
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
That whiplash of the head and hitting the ice and bouncing up looked a lot more painful than the hit itself..

Kronwall is a fucking pussy, never drops the gloves unlike other players who are willing to answer the bell for their hits, either clean or dirty

I'm not so sure about both clean and dirty.
I find this is how the game gets labelled as a "goon" sport when one lays out a clean hit and then a brawl has to start every single time.
Might as well just completely taking hitting out of the game then to get some flow.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #19982
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
brayden schenn did the right thing not jumping kronwall but challenge him. NHL players today just jump other players to protect their teammates after the hit gayyyy

i just hoped that brayden wouldnt get toss in circles like what kovalchuk did to him
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #19983

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Ok how about i use kesler instead of sedin. He throws a big but clean hit, and the opposing teams resident tough guy challenges him to a fight..... We lose Kesler at the minimum of 5 minutes(im assuming he wont get injured in the fight) and the other team loses a guy that play less than 10mins a game. And the lucic miller incident is different. Tht was a dirty play. I dont think being a star player or a hitter makes a difference. Making clean checks in this league shouldnt be punished by fighting an opposing player
Posted via RS Mobile
Dependent on injury + degree of the hit for sure; but if the player is lying on the ice like Jakub, clearly injured, passed out, I damn well hope Kesler answers to drop the gloves, like I said in the previous post, not because he has to, but for respect out of the player, and not to be a COWARD.

Being a star player vs grinder makes a huge difference IMO, you get "star treatment" from the league and then you got your teammates who are gonna step in for you when their tough guy comes at you (a la Ovy).

Also keep in mind, for the hit I was talking about, no penalty was called on the play which means Kronwall pretty much got away with a borderline hit, and since there's so much ambiguity in rule 48.1, he likely won't be suspended, as its pretty much up to a judgement call from Shanahan. Kronwall has a reputation for that hit, and hes done it time and time again and just skates away to the bench without a scratch or penalty. Pretty sure the Flyers bench was fuming and went to challenge Kronwall as the game progressed. If the league didn't look at suspensions for head shots like they do now, I'm pretty sure the Flyers would of went head hunting

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #19984

Booth is a cool guy. During the autograph signing at rona you can only get 1 item signed per person or a canucks card with his photo. He signed my puck and i asked him if i can get an autograph of the card too.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #19985
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Booth is a cool guy. During the autograph signing at rona you can only get 1 item signed per person or a canucks card with his photo. He signed my puck and i asked him if i can get an autograph of the card too.
Did you get your Hamhuis autograph yet?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #19986
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
An injured player on the ice (regardless of dirty/clean hit) SHOULD pretty much automatically equate some kind of response from the injured players' team.
I see where you're coming from about standing up for your own teammates, but I'm not sure I can agree with a response regardless of clean/dirty hit. How many times have we seen players 'injured' to try and draw a penalty, only to pop up and play the next shift?

It's one thing to respect and stick up for your own teammates, but its also important to keep the integrity of the game. If your teammate gets destroyed cleanly because his head was down knowing that a big hitter is on the ice, the way to call that even is to make a clean hit back. Don't jump the guy, try to pick a fight, call him out for not fighting you, whatever, he's only doing his job (in this case Kronwall actually had a great scoring chance after the hit).

I don't think this hit was a targetted headshot, Kronwall was going to lay that hit anyways like he's done so many times. Just so happened Voracek was leading with his head and hit his shoulder head first.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #19987

^ I agree with the integrity of the game; however, the head was clearly the principal point of contact and the way he landed was ugly. Some players stay down, (to fake it) for only a brief period of time but clearly, when you stay down for that long, dazed, unsure of what the hell is going on, you realize its serious business.

Looks like Jakub is gonna be the 8th player on the Flyers to suffer a concussion this season

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #19988
UFO

Yeah, no doubt Voracek wasn't faking it. How does Kronwall execute that hit without hitting the opposing player head first though? To me, the bigger issue was that Voracek was leading with his head first after he got the puck when he ran into Kronwall who was going to hit him one way or another.

I've made similar plays where I was in Kronwall's position but just standing stationary at the blueline. The opposing player with his head down does not know I am there, I brace for the collision and he goes down, and I usually end up with the penalty even though I had position and didn't move or initiate the contact. This is in a non-contact league of course, but I can see this being an easy hit/play to make in contact scenarios.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19989

Kronwall actually takes a stride forward before nailing him IIRC, fuck I hate that hit every time I re watch it. Usually Kronwall executes that hit with his back towards the player, but I guess in this case the shoulder of Kronwall got him nice and square. Doesn't Rule 48.1 have some leeway as to the player delivering the hit having to hold up the hit if they know it'll turn ugly?

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head– "A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered."

That's all it says.. and does mention the vulnerable position part.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #19990
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
lol I found this gem on HFboards

Jeff Tambellini - HFBoards

the best post..
wtf that was from 2005. Oh how time has flown and changed, its nice to look back sometimes, point, and laugh.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #19991
UFO

It sucks to see guys hurt like that, but these guys need to keep their heads up esp when they know heavy hitters are on the ice.

With 48.1 I think you can make a case that Voracek advancing and leading with his head forward and down because he didn't have puck control put himself into a vulnerable position just before the collision, while Kronwall already had him lined up and ready to go. Voracek was going to get nailed the regardless of where his head was, so Kronwall wasn't seeking the head as initial point of contact IMO

A good compilation on Kronwall's work:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #19992
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
spotted E-40six and dbaz? at rogers arena last night

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #19993

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Did you get your Hamhuis autograph yet?
I got his autograph when he was at the robson team store
Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #19994
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
girl and I sat beside David Booth and Dale Weiss on Monday at the italian kitchen..
it was a funny scene.. becuz it seemed like it was flannel shirt night......

myself, le girl, booth, weiss, their buddies..

didnt talk to them..too busy drinking away and it seemed like they didnt wanna be bothered either so just left it haah
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #19995
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
spotted E-40six and dbaz? at rogers arena last night

lol were you guys sitting close to us?

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #19996
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
lol were you guys sitting close to us?
walked past you at the end of the night. level 100

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #19997
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
girl and I sat beside David Booth and Dale Weiss on Monday at the italian kitchen..
it was a funny scene.. becuz it seemed like it was flannel shirt night......

myself, le girl, booth, weiss, their buddies..

didnt talk to them..too busy drinking away and it seemed like they didnt wanna be bothered either so just left it haah
Since when did we have stephen weiss on our team?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #19998
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Lol, I'd take Weiss over Weise.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #19999
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Interesting stat:

Last 10: Canucks 5-3-2, Rangers 5-3-2, Wings 5-4-1, Bruins 4-5-1.

The teams commonly considered as the top four Cup contenders have hit the skids recently. It's most likely because they see the finish line while teams like Dallas are fighting for their lives.

It's not just the Canucks slumping so RELAX, we got this
Canucks were 7-3 in their last 10 last season, and Boston was 6-3-1

This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #20000
Need to Seek Professional Help

there's a chance that the canucks, rangers, wings and bruins won't even make it to the SCF. generally the teams that get there are the teams that click at the right time. sure its not the playoffs right now and guys can say the canucks are saving themselves for later but you can't just suck the last 10-15 games of the season then expect to turn it on in the playoffs.

the canucks haven't been played up to their standards for a long time now. its only getting more notice now because they aren't winning in OT/SO.
Closed Thread