REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #21801

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I have a confession to make. Just before game seven of last year's SCF, I was praying to Allah, Buddha, Jesus, Shiva, and the hockey gods that luigi would get injured in the first minute, Schneider would go in, and we win the cup.....

I say this now, because if I had said it back then, I would have been crucified - nailed to the cross.
dont feel bad. at the start of last season i predicted the canucks would make the finals. but would only win if schnieder played the final round.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #21802
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
I wouldn't say that is far fetched. Ultimately, it may be a GM decision and not the Sedins. If Sedin production continues to decline, would you sign them to another long-term contract unless they took a sizable pay cut? Wouldn't be much different than parting with Naslund.
I don't disagree that its a possibility, but a very slim one IMO and certainly not something that will happen with 'little doubt'. For 2 seasons after this one, they will still be elite players. Their next contract will maybe be 3-5 years long to take them to possible retirement, and I am sure their 'decline in ability' will be taken into account both from a management and player persepctive and what the caphit number will be--it will not be higher than it is now especially if it is a longterm deal to take them into retirement. Parting with Naslund was completely different IMO. I see that more as Naslund getting run out of Vancouver and he lost the will to play the game, esp AV's game at that time. Naslund's final years of production would be acceptable at 3-4M/season had the Canucks chosen to even offer him a contract but its clear MG wanted a clean slate.

The Sedins are your franchise players and the face of the Canucks, they have shown they are willing to take a hometown discount and have also shown that they wanted to finish their careers as Canucks prior to MG saying he doesn't do those types of deals (a year before giving Lu his lifetime contract). If given a second chance, I think today's MG signs the Sedins to their 12 year deals

I'm not worried about their production for the next few years. They were both on fire at the beginning of the season, and only fell off the scoring leader list since ~January. Their production potential is still there, they are just not tapping into it right now for whatever reason. There are different reasons you can subscribe to explain this, but IMO I don't think a natural decline in their output ranks up high on that list at this point.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #21803
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
So you guys think the twins are actually on the decline and not just having a shitty season?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #21804
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Whats the history with you becoming a red wings fan? Sergei Fedorov?
pre lockout days

Yzerman, Probert, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Primeau, Cheveldae, Kozlov, Lapointe

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #21805

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
So you guys think the twins are actually on the decline and not just having a shitty season?
Who said they're on the decline? They're 31 years old, not 41.

They have more hockey in them to play and all players have slumps. Sedins are having one right now.

Its not just the Sedins "underachieving" this season. Heatley and Thornton are some examples of having a bad season.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #21806
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

They have more hockey in them to play and all players have slumps. Sedins are having one right now.

Its not just the Sedins "underachieving" this season. Heatley and Thornton are some examples of having a bad season.
Read hachisix's post on the previous page about their production being on the decline.

Both thorton and heatly have had their production slip since last season, it's not just this year.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #21807
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
bad season, I hope. But Kesler hasn't been doing all too well either.
I'm not all too concern yet. I assume it's just a slump, and see if they can generate during playoffs.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #21808
MOD

lol at guy behind bench

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #21809
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,218 Times in 1,611 Posts
We all know the canucks haven't played their best hockey over the entire season this year and yet, we're 2nd in the west and just 2 points behind the Blues.

We all remember in Naslund's final year, the whole team slumped hard and missed the playoffs. I think the score in our final game of the season was 7-1 in favour of Calgary, IIRC.

If the Sedins/Burrows AND Kesler slumping = 2nd place finish in the west, then yeah, I'd say that's a lot better than the situation we had during Naslund's decline. I don't foresee MG giving up on back to back Art Ross Trophy winners because of one sloppy season.
Spoiler!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #21810
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Also consider the amount of games the canucks have played since last year.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #21811
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
lol! I probably should have worded that better.

Was just pointing out re-signing the sedins is not a given. Anything can happen.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #21812
MOD

City says no live site celebrations for this year's playoff run

In a rather lame but precautionary move the City of Vancouver has decided to completely cancel any sort of viewing party in downtown Vancouver for the NHL playoffs. There were serious talks about viewing parties at BC Place, however, it looks like this won’t happen. At least not in the early rounds. Instead the City of Vancouver plans to host public viewing of games at community centres. Who wants to get drunk at a community centre? Okay not get hammered to the point of no return when mob mentality set in but a community centre doesn’t fit the occasion. High school formal, sure but not a playoff viewing party.

The City of Vancouver said they don’t want to shut down all celebrations during large events, but they want people to celebrate responsibly to minimize the risk to the public so as to avoid the events during the Stanley Cup final last year.

The City’s plans include implementing ideas such as allowing public viewing of games and celebrations at community centres, bars, pubs, and maybe theatres, should the Canucks advance into third and fourth rounds of the playoffs. But no crowds would be allowed downtown.

There will be no outside screens to watch the game.

The City said they are considering block parties, but those would have to be organized by an event planner and no alcohol would be allowed.

The Vancouver Canucks will be involved and have partnered with the City. They will also be matching the City’s funding for the celebrations, which could be between $50,000 to $100,000.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/city+says+...#ixzz1qLurbKIJ

wow...thats lame

Quote:

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #21813
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ That SUCKS!!! Community centers? lol
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #21814
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Seriously, after what happened last year, there is NO way the city will arrange outdoor viewing parties in the foreseeable future! Blame it on the stupid rioters!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #21815
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
With the gong show that happened last year, is anyone surprised?
At the same time, will this stop people from POURING into downtown after games, even in the early rounds like last year?

but back on the Canucks..
Slumping or not, its 3w in a row.
but thats not the important stat. its how to play back to standards. Last nights game isn't 2011/2012 or even 2010/2011 Canucks hockey
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #21816
MOD

from cknw

Quote:
The city is also encouraging smaller events at pubs and restaurants, and alcohol-free events at community centres.

It also wants to see events around Vancouver, perhaps at Trout Lake or Hillcrest.

Key parts of the plan will include limiting alcohol and reducing crowds in the downtown core.

As for the police, steps have already been taken to improve communication between forces, including having a large events liason officer.

wow...NO FUN VANCOUVER

what are they gonna do? road block into downtown? shut down skytrain going downtown? stop it a stadium station?

Quote:

Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #21817
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Looking at how the west is unfolding, I feel that 2nd place isn't so bad at all.

The looks of it is that if Stl finishes 1st, they would probably have to face the winner of Nash/Det in the 2nd round.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #21818
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
The Canucks lose the tiebreak between STL anyways

The dog fight to make the playoffs in the west is an exciting one to watch
Theres even a chance that Pittsburgh can take the presidents trophy
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #21819
I don't get it

As a city, we've proven time and time again that we don't deserve fun things - 94' riot, Guns-N-Roses concert, 2011 Finals.

Maybe if the Canucks start winning a few championships, it wouldn't mean as much, so maybe people wouldn't get so rowdy. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #21820
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
What a bunch of bullshit, let the terrorists win.

With that mentality they should just enact prohibition to curb unwanted behaviours.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #21821
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Theres even a chance that Pittsburgh can take the presidents trophy
What you mean EVEN a chance? If you ask me, I'd say they are the most likely to win it...They are a close 3rd in terms of point percentage, and are the hottest team in the league...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #21822
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
everyone should just smoke pot

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #21823
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Weren't they just saying that they were thinking about opening BC place for playoff games?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #21824
Big Drama Show

Manny Malhotra named as a 2012 Masterton Nominee

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. -Manny Malhotra was been nominated by the Vancouver chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association as the Canucks nominee for the Masterton Trophy which is awarded annually to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

"It's obviously very special — especially with what the Masterton stands for," said Malhotra. "You look back at the guys who have won in the past and what they've overcome and triumphed over in very serious situations. To be thought of in that regard, is very humbling to me. Whether I win or not is irrelevant. Being held in that regard is pretty special to me."

It's been a special challenge for Malhotra to recover from a March 16, 2011 incident when a deflected puck struck him during a game against the Colorado Avalanche and four subsequent procedures on the injured eye. He has maintained dominance in the faceoff circle with a 58.2 per cent efficiency — sixth in the NHL — and has seven goals and 18 points in 73 games.

"Manny as a person, is one of the best individuals I've ever met in my life as far as dealing with and getting it," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.
IMO, Mason Raymond could have been our nominee too
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #21825
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
lol... Maybe this will teach the troublemakers to not riot anymore.
But who knows... The troublemakers probably are like
cause they never cared to watch the game in the first place.

Oh well, doesn't affect me. I like watching my important playoff games at home un-distracted.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Closed Thread