REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #26
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I don't care who I give my information to, ICBC, the phone company, hydro, etc.. I give my information to them in exchange for a product or service. I don't give them my information so they can do whatever they want with it.

As for my ethnic background, I'm from the UK.
When I gave my fingerprints to the UK to apply for a Visa, I'm going to assume they're going to use it against me if I commit a crime in the UK. They weren't taken merely for immigration issues - ie, if I wanted to stay longer than my 2 year visa.
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
When I gave my fingerprints to the UK to apply for a Visa, I'm going to assume they're going to use it against me if I commit a crime in the UK. They weren't taken merely for immigration issues - ie, if I wanted to stay longer than my 2 year visa.
And when I gave my information to ICBC, I'm going to assume it is for the purpose of licensing me to drive, insuring my vehicle and for spanking me should I do something naughty while driving or damaging anything insured by ICBC.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
And when I gave my information to ICBC, I'm going to assume it is for the purpose of licensing me to drive, insuring my vehicle and for spanking me should I do something naughty while driving or damaging anything insured by ICBC.
But you see, my prints were taken for UK Border Agency. Not by a policing agency. I'm just not naive enough to think they wouldn't share it with interpol, or the local police if they ask.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #29
I subscribe to Revscene

I've got a good idea...

National/International ID cards.

Every man, woman and child will be required to line up at their local police stations to be photographed naked from multiple angles, have all their personal information recorded and digitally fingerprinted. That information will be entered into an international database that every police and intelligence agency around the world will have free, open and unlimited access to.

Someone remind me why it is wrong to want and receive privacy again?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I've got a good idea...

National/International ID cards.

Every man, woman and child will be required to line up at their local police stations to be photographed naked from multiple angles, have all their personal information recorded and digitally fingerprinted. That information will be entered into an international database that every police and intelligence agency around the world will have free, open and unlimited access to.

Someone remind me why it is wrong to want and receive privacy again?
that's a horrible idea. CC, Insurance, Utilities are all optional. Government identification is different such as citizenship, that is "required" to identify someone and is the same concept as your National/International ID cards minus the naked pictures. haha

truth is, you may or may not like it but your information is being used as we speak to identify other people. Chalk it up as Life's not fair.

I do care what my information is used for but if they are misused, that's where legal protection comes into play. When you sign and provide your information, there are fine prints that will tell you about the type of privacy policy applied. Re read ICBC and I'm sure somewhere in there will say they have the right to provide your information to legal authorities.
600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Let me ask you this then - why don't you care about who does what with your personal info?
I care, when it is used for evil. I have no suspicion that ICBC will use my data for evil, and identifying rioters is certainly not evil.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote