REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

What would you do?

So my gf and I rented a place about 2 months ago. We signed a 6 months lease agreement but plan to live there for a year before buying. About a month ago, my landlord rented the second suite beside ours to 2 girls, 2 babies, and a dog. In addition, they have 2 pups that they keep in a cage by the side of the house on certain days. One of their bf is also there most days and is quite loud. So with all these people/pet in a small suite you can just imagine how loud it can get.

Besides all of this, we have to share the laundry/drying machine with these girls. Anyhow, they would even do their laundry on our days even though in the tenant's agreement we are clearly assigned certain days to do laundry. Now, I want to bring this up to the landlord, girls, or break the lease agreement. My gf told me not to complain as she is afraid our neighbors will break into our suite and damage our things as we both work till 5 on weekdays and no one is at home during these times if they were to break in.

The other thing is that I'm concerned about is my landlord does not really speak English so he may not communicate it to them properly so if I did bring it up to him nothing will be done. My gf mentioned that one time the landlord told my neighbors to move their bikes but they were acting all rude to him and was telling him how they don't understand what he is saying.

Lastly, they already broke the tenants agreement as when my gf and I signed our lease agreement it clearly stated no pets but I don't know why the landlord made an exception for them. If I broke the lease agreement, which I don't really want to do, will I have to pay a penalty and what will you do if you were in my shoes?
Advertisement
SilverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
lease agreements mean nothing.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
I would confront those 2 bitches. Tell them to show some respect to both their landlords and you as their neighbor.

Otherwise, tell the landlord that you didn't sign up for this shit. If your place is being made a living hell, then it's your right to do something about it.

If the same landlord made some bullshit exception to allow pets (and for them to do their laundry on days not agreed on), them tell him that either they go, or you go with no penalties because frankly, that shit's just down right unfair. Like Majin said, lease agreements don't really mean anything.

+ I wouldn't worry too much about the whole "breaking in" thing. I don't think they (or their bfs) would really want to commit a felony just to settle some sort of "score" IMO.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
my rule of thumb when picking between 2 or more girls .. always go with the one with bigger boobs
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Ask the tennancy board.
The Tennancy Act works in favour of the tennants - Not the landlord.
If the conrtact has been voided (pets) then your portion of the contract can also be considered null and void and you would be free to leave at your own request.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
95% of all these things can be solved with one thing...ask.

You made a decision to move in. He made a decision to rent to these people next door.

If you go to him and say you want to avoid dealing with the branch, but this is re-donk,he'll either cheap out and say no, deal with the people next door or let you go.

Trust me, no one wants to deal with the branch. Always better to go it alone and come to an arrangment.

If you wanted out, and he forced you to stay out your lease, you make your claim based on safe enjoyment of your rental unit.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
95% of all these things can be solved with one thing...ask.

You made a decision to move in. He made a decision to rent to these people next door.

If you go to him and say you want to avoid dealing with the branch, but this is re-donk,he'll either cheap out and say no, deal with the people next door or let you go.

Trust me, no one wants to deal with the branch. Always better to go it alone and come to an arrangment.

If you wanted out, and he forced you to stay out your lease, you make your claim based on safe enjoyment of your rental unit.
QFT

If that doesn't work, goto the tenancy board.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
First off, I hope you didn't sign a totally lopsided contract. Something that would only protect the landlord would be idiotic to sign. Usually, it's the landlord will ensure hot water, property maintenance, services, both parties will uphold noise curfew between hours of something and blah blah blah.

The laundry thing, I'd definitely bring that up with the landlord. If your landlord can't hold them to it, then we might have problems. But your landlord would be in pretty rough shape anyways if he doesn't have a translator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT View Post
My gf told me not to complain as she is afraid our neighbors will break into our suite and damage our things as we both work till 5 on weekdays and no one is at home during these times if they were to break in.

Why would they be able to break in? Is your GF just that paranoid or are your neighbors just that sketchy? If you're really worried about that, just set up a webcam on your door or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT View Post
Lastly, they already broke the tenants agreement as when my gf and I signed our lease agreement it clearly stated no pets but I don't know why the landlord made an exception for them. If I broke the lease agreement, which I don't really want to do, will I have to pay a penalty and what will you do if you were in my shoes?
If you don't know why landlord made an exception for them, then it's not really yours to question. Maybe they pay him more rent? Maybe a pet fee? Maybe their lease agreement is different. You can't accuse them of breaking the lease agreement just on the assumption that it is the same as yours.

I'd ignore your paranoid girl. Talk to the landlord, and see what he says. Then if you get it through to him that the other tenants are totally bothering you, then maybe we'll be nice and let you out of your lease agreement. He'd have to be a dick not to, and if he was a dick, then I'd escalate it by taking it to the tenancy board.