REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #76
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
If the guy called you can't you track him down through his phone number...?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #77
I STILL don't get it

My friend actually just had her iPhone stolen.
She had pulled over to go mail a letter. One of the windows was open, the thief reached INTO her car through the open window, to take her phone and wallet. As she turn around from the mailbox to walk back to her car, she SAW this guy pulling his arm out of her car with her phone/wallet. She ran up, asking him what he was doing, started yelling for help.
The guy said, you can't do shit to me, and ran away.
Luckily she had her car keys, so she could drive away/ he didn't steal her car.

I know it sounds stupid, to leave your window open with valuables inside. But for literally a distance of less than 5 meters to a mailbox, I don't think I would've thought twice doing something like that either.

Any ways; sorry to thread jack, but this brings me to my question. What are you legally allowed to do if you see someone stealing your shit, or for us car guys, trying to steal our car or rims or vandalizing?
I'm pretty macing them, or hitting them with any kind of weapon would land us in jail right?
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #78
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
^
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #79
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
if you see someone committing a crime, and in the case of a theft, if you are the owner or have consent from the owner, you can restrain the theif with resonable force until authorities arrive. i could be off on that, so take it with a grain of salt.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #80
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
Stupidest thing was offering $200 for the phone back.

Smartest thing would be track it, call the guy, tell him you'll offer the price he paid for it, go to his house, call the cops and tell them this guy came out of his house and snatched your phone from your car, wait for officer to arrive and deal with the matter with your serial number and all your paperwork.
Yeah and get charged with giving false statement?
The cop will ask what you were doing at this persons house.
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #81
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
This is one of the dumbest topics in the world. I say that because there are so many people who can't distinguish the difference between having one of your possessions stolen and losing it. In all honestly, if I had "lost" my phone, and someone found it, I would want them to give it back to me. But let's face it, we're living in a world where not everyone is out looking for other people's interest before their own.

What if I found an iPhone in a parking lot. Do I leave it there for someone else to pick up? Do I take the phone and attempt to call the "Home" number or do I keep it for myself? Obviously making an attempt to call the person who owns the phone is the "Right" thing to do, but keep the phone isn't in any means illegal. It's not stealing if the item is not in your possession.

I've been buying/selling phones since early 2001 and I have NEVER lost or had a phone stolen. Some of us, myself included have owned roughly 30 different phones in the last 6 years and have never managed to have anything happen to them. I take care of my possessions and don't give others the opportunity to steal things from me. Good neighbourhood, bad neighbourhood, there are bums and thieves everywhere waiting for people to give them the opportunity.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #82
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Outreach why do you bump so many random threads?
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #83
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post

He's trying to get his posts up...Looks back for threads he understands lol.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #84
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
if you see someone committing a crime, and in the case of a theft, if you are the owner or have consent from the owner, you can restrain the theif with resonable force until authorities arrive. i could be off on that, so take it with a grain of salt.
You can make a "citizens arrest"
S.494(1) Arrest without warrant by any person-Any one may arrest without warrant a) a person whom he finds committing an indictable offence; or
b) a person who, on reasonable grounds, he believes
i) has committed a criminal offence, and
ii) is escaping from and freshly pursued by person who have lawful authority to arrest that person

S. 494(2) of the Criminal Code states: Any one may arrest without a warrant: any one who is the owner or a person in lawful possession of property...may arrest without a warrant a person whom he finds committing a criminal offense on or in relation to that property.

So Raidens correct, you can restrain/arrest anyone with a reasonable amount of force, but you must turn them over to a peace officer within a reasonable amount of time
..good ol Ruthless and Associates Inc.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #85
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
^ i'm mesmerized by your avatar.

im zoned out looking at it for at least a couple minutes

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 11-19-2011 at 08:21 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #86
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
^she locked it so the phone is absolutely useless. It needs to be plugged into the rightful owners laptop
Posted via RS Mobile
no it dosnt you can take out the sime card put it in dfu mode then do a factory/force restart and basiclly have a brand new iphone
dee242 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #87
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Locking the phone doesnt Brick it... ^ what he said... DFU mode and new firmware = free iphone

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #88
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Oh man, i am totally doing this w/o knowing it. Its not by intention.
Outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #89
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yea man shitty deal but it seems nowadays cops want pretty much everything handed to them on a silver platter. What outreach said is probably your best option...

if your phone was stolen for example, the cops would probably give you the same scenario, so basically for our tax dollars we're expected to solve crimes as well lol
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #90
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Leaving shit out in public is just stupid. All my stuff stays in my pockets, hell you could be sitting at the table and someone could easily pass by and swap their broken phone for your working one when you look away, and you wouldn't have a damn clue for at least a couple minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rna View Post
call into rogers and have the UUID blocked as stolen. the phone will become useless. If he still has your contact info he might decide to take the $200.

if he does not return it, it will be useless metal, you still win.

if he does, take the phone back and tell him to **** off.

most likely he will not return it, and simply dispose it.

sorry to hear about your loss.

next time get the thing jailbroken and install longitude as a background services. as long as he/she doesnt update the phone, even if the sim changes you can track it down and personally deliver a gratifying punch, whilst getting your phone back.

B.
can't they just get one of those phone unlocked chips that goes between the SIM and the tray?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #91
Rs has made me the man i am today!

thats why you don't leave your stupid phone out on the table when you're sitting down to dinner in a restaurant. This generation is doomed and is going to be useless.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #92
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
thats why you don't leave your stupid phone out on the table when you're sitting down to dinner in a restaurant. This generation is doomed and is going to be useless.
As opposed to placing it where?

I personally plop my keys, phone and wallet on a table when sitting down because they are all incredibly uncomfortable - I don't understand those who leave stuff in their pockets and sit their lopsided, readjusting their ass all the time and giving themselves back cramps. Granted I also rarely sit in the centre of the restaurant, and always place them in an area where a person would have to reach across me to get them.

I'd hardly say that wanting to be comfortable is an indication of a generations stupidity. Being stupid about how you do it however is.... well, stupid.

Maybe murses will catch on one day

-----

Honestly though, in this day and age, I would have thought only dumb offenders (or technological neanderthal ones) should be stealing phones. Virtually every one comes with some sort of "Find my Phone" app - heck Apple even prompts you to set up an account when you get the phone. IMO owners who fail to utilize these features have no one to blame but themselves.

You'd think it would be a deterrent to thieves to know that they have literally stolen a tracking device, yet I believe there was just an article in the paper saying how cell phone thefts on are on the rise.

Its a pity for the OP that the Cons new citizen's arrest legislation hasn't been passed yet - would have made it far easier to justifiably go and reclaim your property - albeit likely unwise and unsafe. Maybe wait until it passes and they pay him a visit!

Last edited by Bainne; 12-15-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #93
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
This generation is doomed and is going to be useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote