REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Just tracked down my stolen iphone (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648874-just-tracked-down-my-stolen-iphone.html)

Yuffa 07-01-2011 12:36 PM

Just tracked down my stolen iphone

So my iphone4 got stolen last week when I was working at Richmond Centre. I sent a remote lock and a message saying that I will give $200 reward to who ever found my phone no questions asked and left my phone number there.

Just now Apple Mobile Me finally found my phone in Surrey and the guy actually gave me a call. Turns out he bought the phone from the flea market for $450. I told him that I am willing to pay him $200 if he return my phone. He said he paid for the phone so it is his now.

Obviously I am like WTF? Called the police and they said they don't track down phones because phones only lasts for 2 years and they don't have the man power to do it.

Here is exactly where it is an hour ago:
http://ow.ly/i/dL3k

I still have the receipt and Serial Number of the phone as well.

What to do Revscene? =(

Spidey 07-01-2011 12:40 PM

if anything, find out where this flea market is...

Manic! 07-01-2011 12:41 PM

Call the police.

Spidey 07-01-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7497185)
Call the police.

can you read?

Berzerker 07-01-2011 12:42 PM

The police have to go if the phone is in the hands of someone who isn't the rightful owner and you know where they are. It's stolen property. Doesn't matter if it's "just a phone" or not. The "manpower" isn't needed to look for the phone just to retrieve it as it is STOLEN PROPERTY.

I would call back and pursue the issue.

Also him saying he bought it at a "flea market" is probably bullshit and he's just trying to get 450$ from YOU for a stolen phone because no one else will buy it.

Berz out.

jeedee 07-01-2011 12:43 PM

Call the RevScene beat down crew

Gtrr33 07-01-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 7497191)
Call the RevScene beat down crew

what an idiot.

anyways good luck maybe contact surrey rcmp and see what they can do for you.

jeedee 07-01-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtrr33 (Post 7497224)
what an idiot.

anyways good luck maybe contact surrey rcmp and see what they can do for you.

I was being sarcastic, retard.

Santofu 07-01-2011 01:37 PM

I think you should find out where the Flea Market is...
Then you go to that location if he is actually telling the truth or not... If he is...
Go inside and find the stand where they sell iphones/blackberries and then maybe call police afterward?

Culverin 07-01-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuffa (Post 7497174)
Obviously I am like WTF? Called the police and they said they don't track down phones because phones only lasts for 2 years and they don't have the man power to do it.

Which police did you call?

Glove 07-01-2011 02:05 PM

unfortunately, if the police said they cant help, well theres nothing you can do

Berzerker 07-01-2011 02:09 PM

Crisis averted hopefully. I got the address of the phones location and encouraged Yuffa to contact the police again. With a proper address they were willing to go retrieve the phone. Now we just have to wait to see what happens. I guess if they show up at the door and the person says I don't know what you talking about I'm not sure what they can do. I would think that the information and the tracking location would be sufficient to get a warrant but I'm no judge.

Berz out.

ImKai 07-01-2011 02:24 PM

im pretty sure buying from a night market is bs lol . you can always meet up that guy at the apple store and say ill buy it for 450$ and then let apple check it out it if it's real and lie to him and let apple check who's name it's under and stuff , as well you can go on the site of apple track him down and turn on your camera and see his face ! or third option there was this girl on the news who bought a stolen car for 5000$ and the owner got the car back but the girl never got the money back so maybe you can argue ? goodluck tho !

elcurto99 07-01-2011 02:30 PM

Take him to small claims court, it sounds like you are able to prove that it is in fact your phone.

Even if he did buy it at the flee market, because the goods were stolen the seller never legally held the title on the goods. Courts will find the sales contract made at the flee-market void and your goods will be ordered to be returned.

SaviorSelf_666 07-01-2011 02:36 PM

If they wipe your phone can you still track it? If so I'd be pretty quick to try and get it.

Mananetwork 07-01-2011 06:55 PM

^she locked it so the phone is absolutely useless. It needs to be plugged into the rightful owners laptop
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 07-01-2011 08:10 PM

I'd show up at the house with all paperwork in hand, and cause a ruckus until someone calls the cops. The cops will probably cuff you, but won't let the other guy get away either. Then they'll look at the phone, your paperwork, and sort through all the mess, and eventually give you your phone back. I saw it on cops. It works.

ruthless 07-01-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 7497618)
I'd show up at the house with all paperwork in hand, and cause a ruckus until someone calls the cops. The cops will probably cuff you, but won't let the other guy get away either. Then they'll look at the phone, your paperwork, and sort through all the mess, and eventually give you your phone back. I saw it on cops. It works.

take berz with you for good measure

ImportXxX 07-01-2011 08:22 PM

that's the dumbest explanation i have ever heard, who would buy a locked phone for $$450 without testing it..

Berzerker 07-01-2011 08:42 PM

Yep the story is bullshit. He was just hoping she would say "Ok I'll pay you back what you paid for it" I really hope the police found it.

Berz out.

MindBomber 07-01-2011 09:01 PM

I have a suggestion, contact the person who has possession of the phone and offer to pay $500, no questions, just because you want the information stored on the phone back. Arrange a meeting, but bring the police and paper work. If you just send the police to the address the person will hide the phone inside before answering the door, at that point, with no search warrant their hands will be tied.

ConCho 07-01-2011 09:19 PM

Go there yourself and get it? Just a suggestion (bring some people with you).

SkinnyPupp 07-01-2011 09:49 PM

Arrange a meet up with him to buy the phone for $450, then steal it back.

TOS'd 07-01-2011 10:05 PM

There there, Yuffa.

CRS 07-01-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7497703)
Arrange a meet up with him to buy the phone for $450, then steal it back.

:lol

I was JUST thinking that.

Say, fine, I'll pay you $450. Before you meet up, tip off the cops and make sure you have an officer there with you. Then we you meet up, bam. Get your phone back for free AND get the guy arrested with stolen property.