REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #851
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
^ if you don't copy the config file back I will go back to default setting.

Just wondering if I was to set it to parking mode do I need to have it powered or does it use it's internal battery? If not the does it mean the battery is only used for shutdown?
for the parking mode, you need the Power Magic
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #852
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
^ if you don't copy the config file back I will go back to default setting.

Just wondering if I was to set it to parking mode do I need to have it powered or does it use it's internal battery? If not the does it mean the battery is only used for shutdown?
You do need a power magic battery controller. I won't drill your battery, otherwise you can't start your car.

asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #853
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Got hardwire the DR380 and had a chance to test recording a clip. I will say for the price of dr380 worth to buy.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #854
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The 400 model still has the overheating issue and 380 is apparently the model that solves the overheating issue.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #855
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Is the 400 really that bad? Thinking of getting the 380 now
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #856

^not that its bad, but theres a huge possibility of it overheating. And according to blackvue their answer to this was the 380.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #857
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
^^^
I think that the main cause of overheating is a hot day combined with parking mode.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #858

^^^ some experienced it during driving as well and you can see from the posted footage in this thread, so not necessarily just related to parking mode.

But I also thought that most ppl didnt use power magic, so may or may not be a issue.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #859
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Well if it's hardwired and has a fuse holder on parking mode, why not take the fuse off / power it down since it won't be used.
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #860
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIV+ View Post
Well if it's hardwired and has a fuse holder on parking mode, why not take the fuse off / power it down since it won't be used.
You can take the camera off if you want to. I am unsing two cameras in my cars. Usually I take them away when I am not driving.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIV+ View Post
but parking mode is a great feature something other cams dont have.

and i say hardwire might be the cause as most just wire to there dome lights
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #862
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
^^^
How does wiring it to the dome light cause overheating? You mentioned the dome light in a previous post, and someone responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Well I am pretty sure that most if not all the ppl that hardwired their camera to their dome light, prolly have a higher chance of overheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
No it wont increase the chance of overheating, if you use the correct gauge wire.. it is more likely due to TO weather pushing it pass the thermo envelope.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
^^^
How does wiring it to the dome light cause overheating? You mentioned the dome light in a previous post, and someone responded.

There is no definite answer as of yet imo(the specs does say operating temp is -20 to +60 degrees celsius), its just an assumption I have with regard to continuous power and not using any diodes and i doubt that ppl that did their own installs use the right gauge wire either. So I just think hardwiring using something like a power magic module will act as a regulator.

Like on redflag's forum almost all hardwire using their dome lights, and have overheating issues. I could be wrong but havent heard much of a issue with those who hardwire with power magic.

I guess what I am interested in is the outcome of hardwire with power magic and 400 model.

Last edited by extracrunchie; 07-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #864
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
i have a couple of these guys and the suction cup seems to fail on hot days (I guess the windshield gets too hot?)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290576070460?...ht_4088wt_1030

any idea on what i can do to mount this thing? any place to buy a better suction cup?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #865
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

First, this kind of "cheap" wiring cameras might stop working under high temprature such as 30 °C. It is important that low quality camera will miss recording. So it might miss several seconds among clips. This kind of camera is just useless.

Second, no warranty. Why would you like to spend 30 dollars on a low quality one without warranty?
I have a friend bought this kind of camera about 50 dollars in china. The screen stop working after 3 days. So 30 dollars gone in two days.
You pay what you got.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #866
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i have a couple of these guys and the suction cup seems to fail on hot days (I guess the windshield gets too hot?)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290576070460?...ht_4088wt_1030

any idea on what i can do to mount this thing? any place to buy a better suction cup?
One option you have is to modify the cup to take double sided tape and simply stick it on your windshield. The other is to find a higher quality suction cup online (not sure where you'd find one, sorry).
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #867
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

I just hardwire another dash camera on my rear windshield. I call it BlackvuePRO

Angel is wide than GoPRO, Night view is way better than GoPro.

I hope blackvue can product some suction cup so that I can mount the camera on my car's fender.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #868
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
First, this kind of "cheap" wiring cameras might stop working under high temprature such as 30 °C. It is important that low quality camera will miss recording. So it might miss several seconds among clips. This kind of camera is just useless.

Second, no warranty. Why would you like to spend 30 dollars on a low quality one without warranty?
I have a friend bought this kind of camera about 50 dollars in china. The screen stop working after 3 days. So 30 dollars gone in two days.
You pay what you got.
Many people don't need high definition footage. They just want a video camera that records what happens. ICBC will rule in your favour (or someone else's) provided they can see what happened. It doesn't matter if you're able to make out if the person driving has blue or brown eyes.

Besides, using the screen is illegal in BC, so it doesn't really matter if it works or not.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #869
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Can asr comment on the 380 and how hot it gets under normal operation? Parking mode? Etc.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #870
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Can asr comment on the 380 and how hot it gets under normal operation? Parking mode? Etc.
That's exactly what I want to show you guys. I used dr400 and dr380 both are under cooling condition. After about 1 hr driving. DR380 is obviously not as hot as dr400 even though dr380 is in black color. After 1 hour driving, the temprature between two models are huge different. So this means dr380 does improve the heating issue.
I want prove you guys more about dr380. And I will write a thread about dr380 later tonight.Unfortunately, I don't have a temprature gauge. Does anyone got temprature gauge I could borrow for 1 time? Thanks.

Last edited by asr; 07-06-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #871
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Many people don't need high definition footage. They just want a video camera that records what happens. ICBC will rule in your favour (or someone else's) provided they can see what happened. It doesn't matter if you're able to make out if the person driving has blue or brown eyes.

Besides, using the screen is illegal in BC, so it doesn't really matter if it works or not.
It depends on people's different thinking.

Yes, using the screen dash camera while driving is illegal.

How about a hit and run situation? If your dash camera didn't capture a clear license plate, how could ICBC waive your deductible? That's a point.

One RCMP told me that if you present a blurry video which got a clear criminal face or license plate, then the non-HD video is useless. That's the official RCMP told me in person.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #872
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the technical input but I don't find it useless for my purposes.

Quote:
because it was only $35 shipped to my door to play around with. at that price i'm fine with no warranty. before i know if i really want something high end i usually buy something lower end to see if i really like it to avoid buyer's remorse on a high end item. i did the same with my 1st set of golf clubs.

Quote:
You pay what you got.
sorry to hear your friend's camera died. i understand the risks of a cheap camera and i didn't post to cry about it. i simply asked if there's any other mounting ideas or if anyone knew where to buy replacement suction cups.

thanks for the idea lomac. if i can't find another suction cup i might just use tape.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #873
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
So if the blackvue 400 dies under this over heating issue, will warranty be covered and how long is it for?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #874
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Like Glow, I bought an el cheapo dash cam from China. Took a while to get it, but it was well worth the money. Starts up immediately and the screen confirms the camera is aimed properly. As I'm about to drive off, I flip the screen closed not having to worry if the camera is aimed properly. In fact, I can tell if the camera is aimed properly by just looking at the device. The media being SD Card format is also a bonus - much easier to handle than the micro SD card the BlackVue uses. As of this week, I have a BlackVue. The BlackVue has higher definition and records well at night time, however, it is a bear during dusk. Last evening, I had uber problems with the BlackVue adjusting to shadows caused by the sun being low on the horizon.

I purchased my BlackVue via eBay before I found out the BlackVue was sold by a couple of RS sponsors. If I had known, I would have supported an RS sponsor.

Anyway, the BV I got came with Korean language installed. Seller sent me English update and all is well. Had a few issues with it, but figured out how to do a proper upgrade/conversion. Quite simple, now that I know what needs to be done.

I also purchased an extra set of accessories for the BlackVue - an extra mount and an extra adapter. Going from one vehicle to another is a snap.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with getting the cheaper dashcams. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise needs to step back and smell the roses. I have both the cheaper variety and the BlackVue.

Just putting an unbiased opinion out there. It bothers me a bit when sales pitch takes over a thread meant to inform people.

If any of you need help, I'll try my best............

Also, if you need one of these dashcams or any other electrical device installed in your vehicle, you can always contact any of the RS sponsors, like Soundsgood, Rise, etc. They know their shit and can get it done right - quality installs by qualified people using proper supplies.

Last edited by MG1; 07-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #875
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
As an old man, would you recommend the camera for someone like my sainted-yet-also-aged mother? I'm honestly not sure if it'd be good for her, but she had a lady back into her once (who luckily also fessed up) and I worry that it'll happen again...or worse.

I need a third opinion to give her. Aged man, advise!
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote