REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #101
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Mahalo to the International Marketplace

Waikiki's International Market Place Closes, End Of An Era For Hawaii

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ember-old-days
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 01-08-2014 at 02:46 PM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #102
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^^Dang. When I was last there (last May), there were "rumblings" but nothing substantial. I couldn't even find anything definitive when I checked online.

Definitely going to miss some of the food places.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #103
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone been to Polynesian Culture, Paradise Cove and Germaine Luau? Planning a trip to Oahu and would like to try one luau but not sure which is best.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #104
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Wow.. didn't even know about this til I got on this page... it was our first time in Hawaii last April and thought this place had a nice old school feel to it... what a shame.
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #105

Yeah, the area definitely lost some of it's character.

If you want the same items for cheaper, you can get them at Aloha Stadium swap meet but it's just not the same.

Aloha stadium swap meet is one of the largest Swap meets in Hawaii. Experience the great shopping at Aloha Hawaii swap meet and Flea Market at Honalulu region

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam0m0 View Post
Anyone been to Polynesian Culture, Paradise Cove and Germaine Luau? Planning a trip to Oahu and would like to try one luau but not sure which is best.
We went to Paradise Cove...the drive out there is damn nice IMO...Ko'olina is beautiful

But just looking at both menus.. I think Germaine's look nicer lol...

I probably wouldn't consider the Polynesian culture luau..as it's not really on the beach like the other 2... so atmosphere might not be the same.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Yeah, the area definitely lost some of it's character.

If you want the same items for cheaper, you can get them at Aloha Stadium swap meet but it's just not the same.

Aloha stadium swap meet is one of the largest Swap meets in Hawaii. Experience the great shopping at Aloha Hawaii swap meet and Flea Market at Honalulu region
This place is nice too and can find good deals but it's HOTTTTTTTTTTT lol.. it's just way too big to walk around in hot weather and yup..just not the same feel to it..... I just told my wife about the International market place and she was shocked as well...

The marketplace was also the spot for 2$ mai tai's lol
Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #108

Ahh, so you've been. Yeah it's pretty hot out there. We didn't even make it all the way around before things started to look the same, so we left.

RSUV #7
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #109

Aloha Stadium swap meet is ok. Mostly cheap things that you'd buy for souvenirs etc.

Quote:
I've been to PCC. I regret not spending more time at the different areas. When I go back it's going to be a place that I spend more time with. Skip the dinner. It is definitely not worth it.

The Samoan guy who does the show with the coconuts is freaking hilarious. I had to leave his show early to check out the rest of the center, but damn he's too entertaining.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #110
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
That's the main reason why my gf and I skipped a luau. It just takes up way too much time to eat a mediocre buffet dinner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
That's the main reason why my gf and I skipped a luau. It just takes up way too much time to eat a mediocre buffet dinner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Bingo. I would've love to have those 2 hours back to explore the exhibits at the PCC. It's pretty neat as there are a lot of hands-on activities.

And some of the girls running the activities....
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #112

I still think a Luau (at paradise cove) is a must thing to do atleast once in Hawaii.. PCC is a place where you must spend an entire day at without worrying about anything else to do besides exploring... This is why I prefer the Paradise Cove as it's a relaxing feel/evening..

I would suggest going to a Luau during a quiet day where you are not sight seeing much, etc just so you don't end up thinking you could've done something else, etc.. We did ours when all we did was just lounge around/walk around during the day and went to the luau early evening til late.

Would I do it again? probably not as IMO, it's a 1 time experience and no regrets... the food isn't the best but we still had fun...

But that's just how I am.

Last edited by 411ken; 02-27-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #113
i like gifs

But that's the thing. Everyone that I've talked to said the same thing. "Its a good one time thing but I'd never do it again."

If you're not going to do it again, then why would I want to do it in the first place?

Make sure you rent a scooter!!! So much fun riding around the island. We used Hawaiian Style Rentals which is right in Waikiki a few blocks west of the zoo. It's situated where all the hotels are. The guys are so chill and easy going. We did a 4 hour rental and they let us return the scooter whenever we wanted hahaha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #114
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
If it is just authentic Hawaiian food that you want to try, skip the overpriced luau.

We always go to Ono family cafe up the street from the Rainbow Drive inn at 726 Kapahulu Ave.

We did the Luau at the Polynesian cultural centre a few years back and the show was nice but the food was so so b/c they are cooking for hundreds of people.
I would suggest visiting the Polynesian cultural centre to check out the show, but eat elsewhere

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/37/41169...Foods-Honolulu

If you look like a local, you get treated nicer than if you are a tourist. Lol
They thought we were locals and were very friendly to us. When some obvious tourists came in, they were not as friendly. Seated them and dropped the menus on their table.

If you have a rental car, check out the lagoons at Ko'Olina on a weekday. Lagoon #4 has the bigger parking lot.
Make sure you go to Pearl city first on the way there to pick up some take out so you have something to eat while you are at the beach. We bought take out from L&L Korean BBQ.
There is a Walmart in Pearl city too if you need matts or sunscreen

Last edited by racerman88; 02-28-2014 at 03:16 PM.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
If it is just authentic Hawaiian food that you want to try, skip the overpriced luau.

We always go to Ono family cafe up the street from the Rainbow Drive inn at 726 Kapahulu Ave.

We did the Luau at the Polynesian cultural centre a few years back and the show was nice but the food was so so b/c they are cooking for hundreds of people.
I would suggest visiting the Polynesian cultural centre to check out the show, but eat elsewhere

Ono Hawaiian Foods - Kaimuki - Honolulu | Urbanspoon

If you look like a local, you get treated nicer than if you are a tourist. Lol
They thought we were locals and were very friendly to us. When some obvious tourists came in, they were not as friendly. Seated them and dropped the menus on their table.

If you have a rental car, check out the lagoons at Ko'Olina on a weekday. Lagoon #4 has the bigger parking lot.
Make sure you go to Pearl city first on the way there to pick up some take out so you have something to eat while you are at the beach. We bought take out from L&L Korean BBQ.
There is a Walmart in Pearl city too if you need matts or sunscreen
I sensed that vibe when I was last there. They sat us down, left my fiancee and I for a while just as I wanted to ask whether they had any poke. When I finally flagged them, they just bluntly said "no. Check Ono Seafood up the street". So I left and checked the other Ono out.

OMG POKE WAS SO GOOD. Had that then had some malasadas to wash the fish down. Good lord what a meal.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #116

Ugh, you guys are making me hungry.

My Waikiki go to's:

Sadly, my favourite shave ice place (Ailana's) closed, so next visit I'll have to find a new one.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #117
Banned By Establishment

side street inn looks a little sketchy. Lol
When I try to google it, two other locations come up. Where is this one located?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #118
Banned By Establishment

If you have a Costco membership, the location at 333 Keahole has good poke.
They are east past Hanauma Bay. Need a car to get there.
If you like wasabi macadamia nuts, Costco there also has some that are really good. I like them better than the other brands. Comes in a black and green 1.5lb bag.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #119

Hopaka (by Ala Moana mall) is the original location. A bit dirty, yeah but people go for the food.

The newer one is a short cab ride from Waikiki. It's kind of like a pub atmosphere when busy.

My must gets are the sizzling rib eye on Maui onions, spicy chicken, Portuguese sausage fried rice

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #120
Banned By Establishment

nice size portions
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #121
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
What the ... looks like I totally missed a bunch of spots the last time I went, I did have a delicious ramen at Ezogiku though! ... thanks for this list, RS delivers!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #122
i like gifs

Eggs n Things just reminded us of Denny's

Me's BBQ is a GREAT spot! Their take out box was more than enough for my gf and I. We were both sooooo full afterwards

Me's BBQ - Waikiki - Honolulu, HI | Yelp
Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #123
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Fyi Most of the good eats is outside of Waikiki
Used to be a fan of ME's but their meat jun blows

After looking at that sidestreetinn pic I made myself some Portuguese sausage fried rice. Hmm so salty
Posted via RS Mobile
beatdownvictim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #124
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
From that list i would skip Eggs n Things, Cheesecake factory for sure. There just there for the japanese tourists.

nicos was ok for me, i had bad service at the new place. Used to be better when it was just a fish shack.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #125
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

copy pasta from my old posts:

Quote:
ditto on nixing the Poly centre luau, its overpriced and not really good, seriously. show is ok

im going back in april w00t! 3 time for me.

go jetskiiing but only go for 30 minutes. i was gonna do 1 hr but after 15 minutes i was a wreck, didnt think it would take so much outta me. same with surfing lessons @ Waikiki.

Hanuma bay is awesome but always chilly. go early and beat the crowd. no sunscreen in water allowed so bring a t shirt.

goto the Alamoana mall its pretty good. i didnt goto diamond head.

Try going on a Shark tour. (go into ocean inside a cages and watch sharks eat.) its $100/person but worth it IMO. i will never do that again...sooo scary.

eat at cheescake factory but make reservations.

im older so i dont club, but rather prefer to lounge around drinking @ Duke's (on the strip)

for perverts like me hang out on the edge of the water in Waikiki as bikini tops often are removed by the waves.

( . Y/_\)

^ nipple alert

goto the north shore and check out the beaches there get smoked by a monster wave, then go home crying.

we stayed at the Royal Pacific Monach hotel 2 blks from Waikiki beach, rooftop pool FTMFW. 33 foors up. awsome view, great friendly staff.

Pearl harbour. so-so unless you are big on history. lotsa crying people.

flea market at stadium. don't bother its all crap you can get at the international marketplace. btw did i mention we watched a girlfight there? 2 big wahini duking it out in bikini's lol, over a man no less.

DO NOT EAT AT THE MARKET PLACE! ITS POO!

beware of what you eat in hawaii, something there gave me travellers diarrea, mening the whole 10 days i was there = the runs every day despite me not feeling bad at all. weird.

eat at Mi- BBQ its cheap and good portions its a Korean/hawaian mix of takeout.

if you look really hard you may be able to find an ABC convenience store

if you go in the water at all, buy some cheap aqua socks. well worth the $ to keep from slicing your feet open on coral.

renting a car for more than a day is a waste. cabs are cheaper esp with friends. the bus is not bad either.

i went horseback riding on the north shore beaches too.its nice if you like horse that RUN.

DO NOT DRINK ON THE STREET, its not Vegas and they WILL ticket you.

90% of my time was spent in the water. or on the beaches. if u r like me goto walmart and buy some cheap snorkle gear. good for the beach and Hamana Bay. better than renting the stuff.

oh yeah buy a waterproof camera the you can RELOAD with film.

bring ziplock bags for your ID and $. keeps it all nice and dry even when swimming.

go for the Catamaran boat ride on Waikiki its pretty fun.

Bring a GPS system. the road names are hard enought to read let alone pronounce. try that while driving and reading a map. fuggedaboutit.

eat at Chili's its so much bettter in Hawaii
LOL our GF's had bikini's on and they wouldn't seat us.

We flew over to Maui to check out the Volcano crater....definately not worth it lol. but we were ar like 10,000 ft above sealevel. man the air is thin there, and COLD!

we then drove into town. not much todo in Maui IMO.
EDIT: more to be posted later.
added good places to eat:
Arachino - italian
Maraduke - Udon noodles
Todai - Buffet with lots of Sushi.
Red Lobster- Corn biscuits. Mmm.
Cheesecake Factory- massive line ups. go early.
Ono hawaiian food. REAL authentic hawaiian food.
Rainbow drive in - good junk food.
Paradise Cove - Great Luau show.
Duke's - nice atmosphere, decent food. hidden away beside outrigger hotel on the strip in Mini mall. beachside tables too.
Tiki's - kind of a Red Robin feel. typical fast food.
Burgers in Paradise. - name sums it up. burger joint.
Ziggy's - fast food in Alamoana Mall. its at the bottom of Sears, not the food court. if you like chili, you have to try theirs.

been to Hawaii 4-5 times. it my go to place forever.

Don't eat at: Seashore - its a dive that gives lots of coupons.

Last edited by Psykopathik; 03-31-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Psykopathik is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: