REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

looking to buy 04-07 impreza 2.5RS... need opinions/advice

hey guys,

I've been looking to buy an 04-07 impreza RS (sedan/wagon). I did a search on here for the head gasket leaks on the 2.5 motors (for those particular years), and didn't really come up with much.

So far, I've gathered that the earlier, pre-2000 engines had the main issue, and they since gotten "better". Just curious if anyone on here has any personal ownership experience.

I am as well thinking of a WRX, because well.. it's a WRX over an RS. But, I have to think practicality a bit more and save the extra pennies in gas costs.

thanks
Advertisement
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Family owns a 2002 Legacy GT wagon, a 2005 Impreza RS Wagon, and (at one point) owned a 2002 Forester 2.5X. All 3 cars use the same 2.5SOHC engine. None had any issues what so ever beyond scheduled oil changes, coolant changes, spark plug changes, and belt changes. The engine is extremely bullet proof. The only problem is that with age, the engines get a little noisier during start-up, but the noise levels return to normal after it has warmed up.

As for the Impreza, the one with an auto is slow, and when going up hills, it can't make up its mind on whether to stay in 3rd or 4th gear. So-so mileage. I love the steering on these cars: very nicely weighted. In 2005, the offered a 'Sport' package on the RS series: which added moonroof, STI fog lamp covers, leather covered parts, and WRX heated seats. I have the base 2.5RS and wish I had waited for the RS Sport.

They're very good daily drivers, and the AWD system is unmatched in it's price range. Throw on a set of Xice2's and you're unstoppable. This is coming from a guy that lived in Kelowna for 3 years and drove back and forth btwn Van and Kelowna during the worst of Winter once a week.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
The 2002-2003 had headgasket issues. We kept complaining about issues to Richmond Subaru, but they told us everything was fine. Then once we were out of warranty, they told us our head gasket was leaking.

I believe Subaru changed the type of coolant used to include an additive that "re-conditions" the headgasket to help it stay together. 2004+'s are supposed to be fixed, though if you check the forums, some people still have issues with head gaskets.
Head Gasket Leak Problem on all NA 2.5? - NASIOC

And yes, our 2002 TS would make a loud ticking sound when the engine was cold, but once it was warmed up, it would go away. The dealership told us it was normal.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I have an 06 2.5i sedan, and so far, no issues with head gaskets at 120k mileage.
On the naturally aspirated imprezas, mileage is ok. I can get up to 600km on a full tank if I were to drive the car till it's completely empty, but I usually hit 520-550km until the gas light comes up. This is a mix of both city and hwy driving.

Unfortunately, it is underpowered. Depending which year you get, it's between 165-173 hp, and keep in mind you're using AWD constantly with a 3000 lb vehicle.

But the AWD with a set of snow tires comes in very handy if you drive a lot in the snowy areas of BC.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

IMASA: Almost forgot, you must change the coolant using the Subaru Coolant + addictives. The addictives can be brought for cheap online, but they're not too bad to begin with. I bought enough for 3 coolant changes (both coolant + coolant addictives) from Don Docksteader for about $40.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

thanks for the feedback guys. Wifey and I decided that we would like a AWD (japanese branded) vehicle. So, the subey came as my top pick after reading a lot of reviews about how well it did in the snow.

J-chow: I'll probably be doing the mix of city/hwy, so that's probably closer to what I will be getting. I don't mind the lack of power vs the WRX, because at least I can fill up with 87 octane and not feel the pinch so much.

too_slow: thanks for the tip on the RS sport. I had never even known/heard about that!

IMASA: you think the ticking could be due to valve adjustments?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
do NOT get the auto unless it is for someone who can't drive a manual
My dad bought an auto '09 and it's dumb as fuck. you can literally hear the tranny going herp derp everytime you drive the car
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

I heard they're pretttyyy gutless too, with the auto