REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #126
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
My boss got Lasik around when I joined the company a little under two years ago. He was doing alright but then had some sort of minor complication. They went to correct it and ended up fucking up his vision more. He's going in for a third procedure soon.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #127
My homepage has been set to RS

Christ...which clinic?

And with stories of complications, I always like to understand the full story. Any prior eye problems? Astigmatism? Etc.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #128
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Sorry for bumping this old thread.

I'm hearing good things about Pacific Laser, Coal Harbor, and possibly London in New West. Can anyone share any recent personal experiences/prices with any of them?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #129
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I had prk done at coal harbour, paid $1300 for both eyes including eye drops and aftercare stuff, no complaints
Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #130

Didn't realize I was last one to post, but yeah, I got it done back then.

London Eye center - not 20/20 but close enough. Complaint - healing took "longer than usual"

Background - healthy, followed the guidelines + fish oil, etc. And yet my eyes took longer than normal to heal. Stupid long..... I think it was a couple months before I was confident in driving.

Whereas pacific promised that I could be working out the next day.

2500, with referral.

I believe Pacific wasn't bad either, 3500?

All in all - no regrets. Wish I had it done sooner.

Fyi, we'll need cataract surgery sooner.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #131
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Damn, mine sounds expensive.

Did Intralase procedure at London Eye Center at New West. $3300 with referral, $3600 without. This procedure is the one with the faster healing time.
Did this surgery on March 23rd, took the eye drops and sleeping pills. Next day I went in for my checkup. I felt 100% fine, eyes were a bit sensitive to light
but I felt no pain whatsoever, or even the sand in my eye feeling, or backwards contact lenses.

Had 2 friends come by here, 1 did PRK and his eyes were irritating him for over a week.

Recommend intralase - faster recovery (maybe different for your eyes) - cost more. I felt like I could go to work the next day, too ! lol

wore contacts for 11 years prior
Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #132
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

PRK has a longer and more painful recovery time, but is supposed to be better if you participate in alot of activities like sports and boxing that could cause an impact to your eye. For me I had no choice because i was told my corneas were naturally thick or something. I have nothing but good things to say about coal harbour, dr kirzner is an OG and everythign went smoothly. Well except the recovery, and this is coming from someone who started off on hard contact lenses instead of soft.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #133
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Didn't realize I was last one to post, but yeah, I got it done back then.

London Eye center - not 20/20 but close enough. Complaint - healing took "longer than usual"

Background - healthy, followed the guidelines + fish oil, etc. And yet my eyes took longer than normal to heal. Stupid long..... I think it was a couple months before I was confident in driving.

Whereas pacific promised that I could be working out the next day.

2500, with referral.

I believe Pacific wasn't bad either, 3500?

All in all - no regrets. Wish I had it done sooner.

Fyi, we'll need cataract surgery sooner.
Why you guys need cataracts surgery?
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #134
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

had PRK at london eye probably 11 years ago

very painful 2nd day but it was because i wasn't using enough drops, was driving 4 days later, used sunglasses to look my computer for the first week or so lol

only downside is if my eyes are dry my vision goes a little blurry

best money i ever spent
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzjr View Post
Why you guys need cataracts surgery?
Forgot the answer but laser eye surgery speeds up the typical age you need cataract surgery.

The doc's....nicely forget to mention that during the orientations. But honestly, it wouldn't have changed my mind anyways.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #136
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Does anyone know how referrals work? Is it only for former patients or would a referring optometrist work as well?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #137
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
did it at lasik md, custom prk for 3k roughly
no regrets, good so far, took 2 weeks till i was able to drive but still have light halos at night time, they said that would take roughly half a year to recover from lol
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #138
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
PRK has a longer and more painful recovery time, but is supposed to be better if you participate in alot of activities like sports and boxing that could cause an impact to your eye. For me I had no choice because i was told my corneas were naturally thick or something. I have nothing but good things to say about coal harbour, dr kirzner is an OG and everythign went smoothly. Well except the recovery, and this is coming from someone who started off on hard contact lenses instead of soft.
From what I’ve been reading, if there is an impact hard enough to dislodge the flap, you’ll have other more serious head injuries anyway.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #139
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
You can also dislodge the flap from dust and irritation^^^ is what I was told when I went in to get mine, rubbing your eye super aggressively.

I got mine done at Pacific Laser Center... 8'ish years ago? PRK and healed up nicely, have slight hallowing at night and my right eye is slightly better than my left. I had mild astigmatism.

I think all in all, after pre paying for all my optometrist follow up visits I was into it for almost $4-5k. Can't remember the exact number. I didn't care though, can't get aftermarket eyes overnighted from Japan so got the best guy in town to do it.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #140
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
From what I’ve been reading, if there is an impact hard enough to dislodge the flap, you’ll have other more serious head injuries anyway.
That's the conclusion I came to as well, once it's fully healed (6-12 months) then a severe enough impact to cause a tear would've torn it even if you never had surgery.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #141
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Bumping an old thread. Did some research and will likely go with PRK instead of laser but I guess will have to wait for the actual consultations to advise which is more appropriate for me. Seen various reviews on coal harbour, pacific laser and london eye center. Has anyone done this recently and how did it go?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #142

Go to multiple places for consults and see what they suggest. I got LASIK 4 years ago, my friend got it this morning and my wife is going for PRK tomorrow lol. She would've preferred PRK but her corneas were too thin.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #143
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Last edited by zyzzjr; 11-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #144
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzjr View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like most optometrist still wear glasses? Why don't they get Lasik?
I always wonder about this..., I assume it's because most optometrist offices seem to sell glasses too.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #145
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Disclaimer -- a family member is an optometrist.

From the conversations I've had, the family member optometrist does not prefer Lasik because at the end of the day, it is still surgery, and surgery carries a certain amount of risks. Post-op care is also extremely important, and IMO (not the family member's opinion) is where it is most risky and easiest to screw up.

On the other hand, corrective eyeware -- be it regular eyeglasses or contact lenses -- are a tried and truth, time-tested solution that carries far, far lower risks than Lasik at the costs of a small / negligible inconvenience.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #146
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Bumping an old thread. Did some research and will likely go with PRK instead of laser but I guess will have to wait for the actual consultations to advise which is more appropriate for me. Seen various reviews on coal harbour, pacific laser and london eye center. Has anyone done this recently and how did it go?
I got my eyes done at london eye center in January. I got PRK. My prescription was -8.50 in both eye so I was very blind. It's been 7 months since the surgery and my left eye is about 75%, my right eye I would say is 90%. 100% clear vision can take up to a year but it's all dependent on the person. I chose london eye because they have a lifetime guarantee so if you need to go back for any other sessions, it's all free. Best decision ever to get this done, you won't regret it.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
On the other hand, corrective eyeware -- be it regular eyeglasses or contact lenses -- are a tried and truth, time-tested solution that carries far, far lower risks than Lasik at the costs of a small / negligible inconvenience.
That's pretty dependent on how strong your prescription is IMO. My eyes were pretty shit and contacts didn't work well for my prescription, so I was stuck with glasses that I was useless without. I'll avoid getting into anything long winded here but they were massively inconvenient.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #148
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I still refuse to do it given there are a lot of success stories.

you only have one set of eyes, so any minor complications is for life.

This is the reason why I still am wearing glasses and contacts.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #149
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Did mine under a year ago at Pacific Laser. PRK. Took about a week before I could drive again. Vision got progressively better over a month's time. Had to do eye drops and fish oil and whatnot. Still have dry eyes but a couple drops a day is not bad.
Cost me 3100 for the surgery but Pacific Laser makes you follow up with your optometrist so that is an extra cost so with the RX, follow up appointments, eye drops, etc. closer to maybe 4200 bucks?

Recovery sucked because I got that sand in eye feeling and my eyes got tired easily and it was really annoying going through but I'd do it again.
Loving it.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #150
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Did PRK at Pacific about 2 years ago. Everyone's recovery/prescription and surgery is different. I was -4.5 /-5 with some astigmatism. I could drive after a week. I was back at work after a week and a half. Everyone's recovery is different. Older co-worker of mine had redness/sand feeling for 2 years after she did PRK. That said, she was in her 50's when she did it, and wasn't in the best health to begin with. I started taking the required supplements about a month before surgery, and continued for 6 mo after. Full recovery was around 6 months before I didn't need to carry eye drops.

I would do it again. I'd been following PRK/Lasik info for years. I finally got it done after I had kids. They destroyed two pairs of glasses 'helping' me put them on. The final straw came in the summer, when my glasses slipped off of my head from sweat into a #2 diaper, while I was changing the kid.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: