REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RayBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,424
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
All McDonalds burgers use nothing but pure beef. And they aren't deep fried (not sure why you said that)

I said it because the only thing I can think of fast food that isn't processed meat is chicken parts...and the only way I can recall fast food joints serving chicken parts is being deep fried. (is Nandos considered fast food?)

Even though Mcdonalds uses purebeef patties, its still 'processed meat.' All it has to do is come from a cow, and its considered 100% beef.

On a side story, urban legend storytells that McDonald's beef supplier's name is 100% Beef.....which is how McDonalds is able to legally claim they have 100% Beef patties.
Advertisement
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #27
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
How did you calculate 90 calories a breast? Chicken breast is about 1cal/g, so for just the meat alone it'd be at least 130 calories (average half breast being 130g).

Can you post your recipe?
It's not really a recipe as much as it is a sauce I really like.

What I do is I take Superstore Bluemenu Easycook Chicken breast burgers (DO NOT get the "thick and juicy" burgers, they taste like shit and are processed), and throw em in a plastic bag with Kraft Marinade overnight (Southwest barbecue is the name I think). I use about 2 teaspoons/breast. I add a bit of lemon juice + salt pepper aswell, and throw it in my fridge.

The next day I grill it for about 15 mins turning frequently, and brush on the juice from the bag everytime I flip. Closest I've ever come to having chicken breasts that taste like nando's breast. I love it so much that I eat it 4xdaily. You may or may not like it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
I said it because the only thing I can think of fast food that isn't processed meat is chicken parts...and the only way I can recall fast food joints serving chicken parts is being deep fried. (is Nandos considered fast food?)

Even though Mcdonalds uses purebeef patties, its still 'processed meat.' All it has to do is come from a cow, and its considered 100% beef.

On a side story, urban legend storytells that McDonald's beef supplier's name is 100% Beef.....which is how McDonalds is able to legally claim they have 100% Beef patties.
+1! I've heard this as well. Pretty smart how they market it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 322
Thanked 87 Times in 31 Posts
i use to work at McDonalds back when i was 15 and i remember when the rumor came out about how the company was called 100% beef. Haha im not too sure if any of you guys were aware or went to the same meeting as i did, but there was a meeting at Science world shortly after with a lot of McDonalds employees from all over Vancouver and we had to do a sit in about how it wasn't true and that we should relay that information to our family and friends.

Saying that i worked at McDonalds and even i didn't believe it was 100%. NO WAY.
__________________
to live is to suffer but to survive is to find the meaning of suffering
FeedBack
tubbyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
^ True story
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
I can't believe that people exist who are stupid enough to believe stories like that. Truly, it blows my mind.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RayBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,424
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I can't believe that people exist who are stupid enough to believe stories like that. Truly, it blows my mind.


Whether the tales are true or not....It seems to me that you've been convinced that you've been eating quality meat. I don't know where the surprise....since when was ground beef considered a quality meat?
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,386
Thanked 4,998 Times in 1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
How did you calculate 90 calories a breast? Chicken breast is about 1cal/g, so for just the meat alone it'd be at least 130 calories (average half breast being 130g).

Can you post your recipe?
??? Protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 883
Thanked 56 Times in 19 Posts
most of the fast food places that deem themselves "healthy" dont actually come out and say it. They just say eat fresh, subway, nandos etc.... Guess I need to start looking for the mom and pop stores hole in the wall type diners
__________________
I don't know what u do for your respect, but ima die for mine
lundyt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I can't believe that people exist who are stupid enough to believe stories like that. Truly, it blows my mind.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #35
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,386
Thanked 4,998 Times in 1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundyt View Post
most of the fast food places that deem themselves "healthy" dont actually come out and say it. They just say eat fresh, subway, nandos etc.... Guess I need to start looking for the mom and pop stores hole in the wall type diners
Every napkin at Nandos says "Seriously Healthy Chicken"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #36
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I can't believe that people exist who are stupid enough to believe stories like that. Truly, it blows my mind.
Yes, because hearing something and telling someone else that you heard it when they mention it makes you stupid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #37
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Whether the tales are true or not....It seems to me that you've been convinced that you've been eating quality meat. I don't know where the surprise....since when was ground beef considered a quality meat?
Yes, because when you take meat and GRIND IT, it suddenly becomes bad for you.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
Thats like saying their chicken nuggets are 100% chicken meat, no?

Either or, I'd avoid McDs.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #39
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Thats like saying their chicken nuggets are 100% chicken meat, no?

Either or, I'd avoid McDs.
No it's not. Not at all.

Ingredients of a chicken Mcnugget:

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning [autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid], sodium phosphates, natural flavor (botanical source). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dextrose, corn starch

Ingredients of a beef patty:

Beef

Avoiding McD's because it is 'bad' is like avoiding water because it can drown you. If you go in there and use your head, avoid the crap, and don't eat there exclusively, there is nothing that makes it automatically bad.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RayBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,424
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yes, because when you take meat and GRIND IT, it suddenly becomes bad for you.
Okay....nobody grinds quality meat. Thats why its ground up.....because after the butcher takes the good quality meat, the crap edibles go into the grinder. Its still 100% Beef.


However, there is still the issue that McDonalds patties have 4x the sodium then a standard beef patty of the same weight.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #41
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
So what makes meat "good quality" if it's just meat? Amino acid profile? molecular weight? How do you determine that the peptides and lipids in a sirloin steak for instance are somehow more healthy than the peptides and lipids found in ground beef?

The patties have no sodium added, it is sprinkled on during cooking. You can request no salt added. Not that it matters, because there's nothing bad about sodium, if you are not sick with kidney disease.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 377
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
SkinnyPupp puts up a good fight, beef is beef, and mcdonalds is mcdonalds, and it will remain an unhealthy choice.
mkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #43
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
Some things at mcdonalds are unhealthy choices. Mcdonalds itself is not in itself an entirely unhealthy choice.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
Honestly, bad or not, I would still avoid McDs.

Double Big Mac or a Chicken Salad, I could care less.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #45
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,036
Thanked 17,641 Times in 5,346 Posts
And that's fine. Personal choice. But spreading stupidity is what irritates me. Things like "they use a BRAND of beef called 100%" and "ground beef is bad for you because it's ground" and "salt is bad for you"... it's all such bullshit needs to stop.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
No for sure.

Everything has to be eaten in proportion to what is healthy for your body.

At the end of the day no one can really say what exactly is in their beef patties or not.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #47
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RayBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,424
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
And that's fine. Personal choice. But spreading stupidity is what irritates me. Things like "they use a BRAND of beef called 100%" and "ground beef is bad for you because it's ground" and "salt is bad for you"... it's all such bullshit needs to stop.
Not saying that you are wrong, but it seems like you are the only one defending your own comments.
If McDonalds tasted better (to me), id be having that more often.

The topic definitely isnt healthy food...its about healthier fast food, and McDonalds as a whole is not unhealthy. But for me, the determining factor is this...what fast food can i have and in 1.5 hours have a good workout without having my lunch bogging me down? Regardless of sodium, cholesterol, carbs, fat, preservatives, etc. etc. etc.

For me, it definitely isnt McDonalds...on the other end, it IS Subway and Taco Del Mar.

Have you ever convinced a person with a family history of high blood pressure that there is no problem with salt?
Or convince a marathon runner that carbs are bad for them?
Everyone has different diet requirements.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by RayBot; 09-04-2011 at 04:15 PM.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,426
Thanked 1,472 Times in 563 Posts
As far as what your body looks like, you can look great eating mcdonalds everyday, that's not saying it's super healthy for you, but do you think your body knows the difference between 40 grams of protein from mcdicks and 40 grams from a chicken breast cooked at home? Yeah the sodium content is higher but let's assume no one is stupid enough to eat mcdonalds every meal of the day.

As for carbs, they don't make you fat, and you dont need to avoid them. Eating way more calories than you burn off in a day makes you fat...you can get fat if you eat too many chicken breasts in a day, given it puts you at a big caloric surplus.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #49
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 377
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Does a Mcdouble really have 22 grams of protein like they say =o
mkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #50
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
DaFonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In your head
Posts: 4,591
Thanked 376 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
??? Protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram.
Pure protein. A chicken breast (or any meat for that matter) has a lot of water content by weight.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net