REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #51
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,357 Times in 976 Posts
you know what's funny, i have seen people giving people some shitty ass dishes and bowls. i'm like wtfffff you gave him /her a bowl??? wtffff

10-20 yrs ago, parents paid a few here and there to help, nowadays, teens pay for EVERY penny and they have all the say in it. which is really the best way to do it. parents don't have to worry about shit, jut show up and that's it.

6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #52
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
Sorry bumping this old thread as I'm looking for info/thoughts on weddings as I recently got engaged. T

hings on our minds right now is where to start looking for venues, how to finance it, and how to appease more traditional parents - we already told them we are doing white food and not traditional Asian and that it will be a "western" venue.
My friends had to book about 8 months to a year in advance for Summer weekends.

So... book ahead.

Money stuff:
$50 per head for average fare.

$100 per head for "above average" fare.

Wine and alcohol will add another 30% on top of your bill.

Don't forget service charge of 15% or 18%.

If it is a Chinese restaurant, cake cutting is free.

If it is a Pacific-Contemporary restaurant, cake cutting is $3 per guest/plate.

And, as another poster mentioned, you'll get some of the costs back from guests who give money/cheques.

Based on friends' data, you'll probably recoup 20% to 40% of the DINNER cost from money gifts.

Venues:
Depends on the # of tables you want.

You mentioned you are probably going to do a Pacific/Contemp/Seafood venue:

Here are some ideas:
1- Hawksworth/Hotel Rosewood Georgia York Room (up to 60 guests) or Spanish Ballroom (sits at least 20 tables of 10 guests each)
2- Blue Water - Pacific Room sits up to 80 guests, or the main room, up to 200+
3- Market/Shangri-La (they charge a rental fee for the rooms even if you meet the $ minimums...), but they have a 6th floor terrace that is spectacular for outdoor dining, that can sit up to 100 people. Make sure you tell them you want the awnings REMOVED.
4- The Aquarium? But the food sucks (be warned), but the venue rocks especially in the Arctic Gallery (Beluga exhibit underground). There is a rental fee also.
5- Any of the country clubs with golf courses and restaurants (though their food quality are debatable).
6- Many other restaurants have private rooms that can sit dozens of guests or more. Do your due diligence.
7- The Peak at Grouse.
8- Beach House in West Vancouver. Beach side. Balcony on second floor. But main dining room is not "open" per se.
9- Cioppino's have a few rooms, but they can only sit up to 40 for the biggest room (so not "open")

Good luck and congratulations!

Don't get stressed.

Enjoy the process and plan plan plan!
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I was so interested to see Blue Water Cafe will host weddings. Looked at the floor plan and it appears there's no room for head table, open bar, or dance floor.

The $98 menu looks pretty awesome though.
Posted via RS Mobile
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #54
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,357 Times in 976 Posts
consider West or Le Crocrodile ... u don't get to do anything crazy like rocking it with a DJ and stuff but the food will be most memorable.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #55
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
I was so interested to see Blue Water Cafe will host weddings. Looked at the floor plan and it appears there's no room for head table, open bar, or dance floor.

The $98 menu looks pretty awesome though.
Posted via RS Mobile
For a large open area type of wedding with a dance floor, you'll need a banquet room in a hotel.

If you use the hotel's restaurant, the food is probably going to be not as good as a regular restaurant (not in a hotel).

So, if you want both GOOD food and a hotel banquet room, try:
1- Market by Jean Georges (Shangri-La rooms)
2- Hawksworth (Rosewood Hotel Georgia York Room or Spanish Ballroom)
3- Or, Pan Pacific (forgot the name of the privately owned restaurant on the 2nd floor)
4- Or Four Seasons (Yew)

Or, a convention centre-type room and have a restaurant cater for food.
Like the Vancouver Convention Centre (a ton of room sizes to choose from)

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 07-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #56
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Where's the open bar?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #57
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
consider West or Le Crocrodile ... u don't get to do anything crazy like rocking it with a DJ and stuff but the food will be most memorable.
Once people have had a few drinks no one will care about the food. Unless it's really crappy.