REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #51
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Experienced sleep paralysis once, scariest feeling I've ever felt. It was fairly recent, in the summer. My sleeping patterns were all effed because I'd stay up a day or two at a time because of work .. anyways, I went to bed after taking some caffeine about 2 hours before. I woke up in the middle of the night after having a nightmare. My nightmare was that there was a demon/entity in my house, and it was trying to kill my family members. I woke up and heard stuff outside my door (nothing was there of course, was about ~3:30am), and instantly knew it was the demon. I want to get up and save everyone so bad but I couldn't move...I tried to scream but I couldn't scream -- I was essentially stuck to my bed. Then I started sweating pretty profusely (probably the caffeine, who knows) and I eventually snapped out of it at around 4am, and I was drenched in sweat and breathing super heavy. Realized I had just experienced sleep paralysis, and fell asleep.

Freaky thing is, my brother moved out about a year ago, and I sleep in his old room. He used to get this feeling of a ghost holding him down all the time, and he used to tell me this. I now know what he felt was sleep paralysis, creepy.

Other than that, my only "real" near death experience was almost getting abducted as a child when the family was on vacation in India. Some random guys came to a party we were having and kept asking me to show them where the town's convenience store was. We had the biggest house in a very rural area (no streetlights/paved roads), and the police department was quite a distance away, so we were easy targets. The convenience store was about a 10 minute walk away, and it was about 9 or 10pm. Thank god I didn't go with them, who knows what would've happened, or what orifices would've been invaded.

More recently, I was sitting in the backseat of my friends car on boundary, and my friend asked me to jump in the front at a redlight so we could use HOV (getting onto hwy 1 east), and I got out and was moving to the front when a big dump truck literally grazed my ass. That could've sucked majorly.
Advertisement
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_valentinor View Post
paKo""""" =D
you sure you weren't just super stoned and misjudged the cars speed when it was actually crawling at 30km/h?
I bet it was a P-car and the guy was in first gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 09-12-2011 at 12:28 PM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I don't really reflect on life much. But having read the thread title, I realize I have nearly died twice in almost 30 years.

At 6 years old, I went to India with my family for a month long visit. A few days into the trip, I became severely sick from drinking the water there (likely through ice cubes). My immune system failed and I was vomitting continuously and had continous shits. Lost half my body weight in days. The doctors there were actually mis-diagnosing me so that they could prescribe more medication and earn more money. India is a cruel place in that regard, as they target Canadians. After a couple of days my parents figured out the doctors were useless and I was flown home on a stretcher. Took me a long time to recover, but I don't remember much from it because of my age.

The second instance was in high school. My girlfriend was driving home pretty late at night. We were on 16th ave in White Rock waiting at a light right in front of Peach Arch Hospital (154th i think). Light turned green and she literally let off the throttle to accelerate. Her Jeep creeped forward into the intersection as the torque converter kicked in and WHOOSH.

A black late 80's Thunderbird just blew across us from 154th at an insane speed. It was a blur. 5 seconds later a patrol car blows past in full chase. We didn't even move. I'll never forget the feeling. We would have both been toast, T-boned at that speed. My girl was so startled she couldn't drive herself home.

Anyways boys. I've come to learn that you never know when you're going to go. Live life to the fullest. Buy fast cars, mack on the hottest bitches, work hard and enjoy every day that you are lucky enough to open your eyes in the morning.

Kev
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #54
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,529 Times in 4,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Anyways boys. I've come to learn that you never know when you're going to go. Live life to the fullest. Buy fast cars, mack on the hottest bitches, work hard and enjoy every day that you are lucky enough to open your eyes in the morning.

Kev
Right on!
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Experienced sleep paralysis once, scariest feeling I've ever felt. It was fairly recent, in the summer. My sleeping patterns were all effed because I'd stay up a day or two at a time because of work .. anyways, I went to bed after taking some caffeine about 2 hours before. I woke up in the middle of the night after having a nightmare. My nightmare was that there was a demon/entity in my house, and it was trying to kill my family members. I woke up and heard stuff outside my door (nothing was there of course, was about ~3:30am), and instantly knew it was the demon. I want to get up and save everyone so bad but I couldn't move...I tried to scream but I couldn't scream -- I was essentially stuck to my bed. Then I started sweating pretty profusely (probably the caffeine, who knows) and I eventually snapped out of it at around 4am, and I was drenched in sweat and breathing super heavy. Realized I had just experienced sleep paralysis, and fell asleep.

Freaky thing is, my brother moved out about a year ago, and I sleep in his old room. He used to get this feeling of a ghost holding him down all the time, and he used to tell me this. I now know what he felt was sleep paralysis, creepy.

Other than that, my only "real" near death experience was almost getting abducted as a child when the family was on vacation in India. Some random guys came to a party we were having and kept asking me to show them where the town's convenience store was. We had the biggest house in a very rural area (no streetlights/paved roads), and the police department was quite a distance away, so we were easy targets. The convenience store was about a 10 minute walk away, and it was about 9 or 10pm. Thank god I didn't go with them, who knows what would've happened, or what orifices would've been invaded.

More recently, I was sitting in the backseat of my friends car on boundary, and my friend asked me to jump in the front at a redlight so we could use HOV (getting onto hwy 1 east), and I got out and was moving to the front when a big dump truck literally grazed my ass. That could've sucked majorly.
I am pretty sure a demon was holding you down and your dream is foreshadowing..
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #56
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignatas View Post
I am pretty sure a demon was holding you down and your dream is foreshadowing..
Thanks .. i really had to fucking read that at 2am ... *stays awake rest of night*
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #57
Hyde's Understudy

Lol don't worry , if you can't sleep I'm sure the demon will keep you company
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #58
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
back in grade school, a friend had a pool party.
I can't swim, and some bitch decided to push me into the deep end.
They were all laughing until they noticed I didn't surface. I'm not very buoyant.
Blacked out, somebody pulled me out of the pool.

Car accident, big delivery truck made a left turn infront of me, slammed on my brakes, wet road, locked up, SMASH. Hit the wheel of the truck, if it had been a few feet left or right, my head would have been gone.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #59
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Back when I couldn't swim (somewhere between grade 1-3) I drowned in watermania and blacked out.

Grade 4-6ish me and a friend were fucking around on a ski lift and I fell off.. Luckily it was near the end of the lift and I got away with a few bruises but was done for the day.

Not really a near death experience but almost got run over on the morning of the rs summer meet. An old man in a Benz was turning right at an intersection and was only looking at the oncoming traffic and started to accelerate when i was in front of his car.. Jumped out of the way and his bumper swiped me
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #60
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Was turning left onto boundry from marine to go up that big hill.
Had the left turning light and was maybe the 4th or 5th car to turn left.
As i turn i hear a trucks horn. when i finish turning i look in my rear view mirror and see that a semi truck has hopped on to the curb and grass area of that shell gas station there still hasn't stopped yet. Minutes later i realize that that truck came from down the hill and ran the red light because it couldn't stop. If that truck came down any sooner could have hit me or any other car in front of me. Or if i turned seconds later.
bong890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #61
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

i've told this one before, but i'll do it again for fun.

Early morning on my way to work, like 5:30 am
i was at the intersection of Clark Dr (left hand lane, turning left) and Broadway heading south on Clark.

sitting at a red light with a 5 ton truck on my right.

my light turns green.

still being half asleep, i hesitated at the light, not turning immediately like i usually do.

about 3 seconds later i hear this HOOOOOOOONNNNNKKKKK of a semi trailer coming from the left.

a car on the RIGHT side of the 5 ton truck beside me had pulled into the intersection.

the Semi had run a RED light and plowed into the small car at full speed. the small car couldn't have seen the semi because of the 5 ton blocking his view.

not sure if that driver survived.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #62
I am grateful grapefruit

My buddy was giving me a ride somewhere, I was sitting in the back, driver's side.

We were turning a major street, and somehow my buddy thought we had our own merge lane - but in reality, we were turning right into the right lane. Anyways, there was a semi coming - and we essentially cut him off while he was going full speed.

The semi managed to swerve out of the way, but barely.

I was sitting in the back and had no idea what was going on. I turned to the left, and saw the semi blow past us while we were half in the lane. Honestly - it was a foot from the window, how it managed to miss us, I have no idea. I actually had that feeling where I saw my life flash before my eyes...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #63
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
i get sleep paralysis sometimes but i dont panic as hard as you guys... its when i just woke up and just so dazed, i just lay there and wait it out lol, i just think its nothing because its when im super high or drunk when i sleep
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #64
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
i get sleep paralysis sometimes but i dont panic as hard as you guys... its when i just woke up and just so dazed, i just lay there and wait it out lol, i just think its nothing because its when im super high or drunk when i sleep
shieeeett braaah, you sure you're just not still tired as fuck and don't wanna get up?
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #65
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Some interesting responses in this thread regarding sleep paralysis.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the terror that many people experience with sleep paralysis is not because they can't move: it's because the fear center in their brain, the amygdala, is essentially in overdrive. When I experience sleep paralysis, I try to scream not because I can't move (I'm sure many of us have been so drunk to the point that we can't move for an hour the next day we wake up), but because I'm so damn scared for no good reason than that my brain is making me scared.

Just imagine if you found out your whole family got brutally murdered or that RS got shut down permanently . The feeling is that of your worst imaginable fear coming true...(and the hallucinations of other people/creatures sitting in your room and staring at you don't help).

But about half the people I've talked to about sleep paralysis have experienced what Ulic described: little if no hallucinations and abject terror, but that damned buzzing noise, the weight on their stomach, complete paralysis, and being locked in that state for what seems a long, long time, but in reality, is much shorter as you have a warped sense of time when you are in these semi-conscious states.
Halfpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #66
MG1

The worst one I had was in winter, when I had the heater on in the bedroom. My mouth was dry. So dry it was hard to breath. There's a water bottle on the night stand. I know it's there because I always put one there before I go to sleep. I force myself to move one arm to get up."Great, it worked!" All I need to do now is to get up and reach for it. "I've done it!" Nope, I'm just imagining it. I hear someone in the room. It's my wife. I ask her to wake me up. She doesn't hear me, because I'm not saying anything. So I start to raise my voice. It's now a scream for help. Still nothing. My throat is so dry......... I convince myself not to panic. "It's going to be over soon," I say to myself. "Just stay calm." I stop breathing, gasping for air. I can't help it. I go into panic mode again. I then go blank.... only for it to happen again. I eventually keep trying to move my arm. Finally it works. Wife comes into the room and says, "Boy were you out like a light." I felt like crying. I scream at her, "Why didn't you wake me up?" Guess what? I wasn't really awake. I was still in paralysis.........

I now sleep with my iPod next to me and have the alarm wake me. 4 hours max of sleep. Strange thing is, I often take power naps on the couch or anywhere other than the bedroom and I never have a problem waking up or getting to sleep.

Before sleep paralysis crept into my life. I used to enjoy sleep. I dreamt a lot and I remembered each one vividly. I got to the point where I could control my dreams. I would often wake up and force myself to go back to sleep to continue a good dream, and at times change the ending.

I often wAnder if my sleep problems are the result of all the drugs I took in my younger days, LOLOLOLOLOL.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #67
Hyde's Understudy

^ dude, did your doctor not say anything?

Is it contributed to snoring? Or sleep apnea? Maybe those oxygen masks will help you out. Your condition sounds quite serious.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #68
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
^ dude, did your doctor not say anything?

Is it contributed to snoring? Or sleep apnea? Maybe those oxygen masks will help you out. Your condition sounds quite serious.
I don't have a family doctor. The old one like died, LOL.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #69
Hyde's Understudy

lol find a new doctor and make him your family doctor.

How does your wife handle your alarm going off every 4 hours to wake her up as well? My wife kicks me when i snore too loud lol
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #70
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
lol find a new doctor and make him your family doctor.

How does your wife handle your alarm going off every 4 hours to wake her up as well? My wife kicks me when i snore too loud lol
First off, I go to bed late.......... blame RS on that one. If I go early, I take the ol' laptop to bed and surf.

As for snoring, I'm the quietest sleeper in the family. Funny thing is, it doesn't take much to wake me. As soon as the iPod Touch alarm goes off, I turn it off before the second ring ends. Any longer and it's because I can't find the damn thing.

And the doctor thing I mentioned in my previous post. I wasn't laughing at the fact he is dead. It's just he died so long ago. If he were still alive, he would be over 100 years old. Anyway, my old family doctor was amazing. He was a true doctor - in it to help others not in it to make as much money as humanly possible. He helped out the community so much. Based out of the DTES, he took care of people who could not speak English or afford anything. He would even fill out unemployment insurance papers and other government documents for those who couldn't read or write - for free. He worked without much rest. Truly a fine doctor. I imagine he inspired a lot of young people along the way. He even gave me my English name, because my mother couldn't come up with one.

I just thought I should clear that up. I would never make fun of the old family doctor. He had so much respect by everybody he cared for over the years. So sad to see him go.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #71
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Sounds like typical sleep paralysis to me.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #72
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
shieeeett braaah, you sure you're just not still tired as fuck and don't wanna get up?
yeah im 100% sure lol i guess i dont freak out bad, i only freaked out bad once, it usually happen cause i needa go piss and cant move, my body just shuts down and i sit there for a while until i REALLY need to pee, and hopefully i can move, nearly didnt make it once
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #73
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
My brother and I were nearly shot...in Surrey of course. And yes, I honestly thought I was gonna die that day.

We were in high school at the time, coming home from rugby practice with a couple of buddies. All four of us were tired as shit, so we decided to cut through a park that's known to be...seedy to say the least. No one was really in the park that day, and as we walked towards the playground, we noticed a group of classic Surrey wannabe gangsters, who were drunk and high off their asses. They spotted one guy in our group, and one guy in theirs started yelling, calling him a rat.

We thought they were too wasted to do anything, we were wrong. As we walked past, one of them pulled out something metal from his bag. We thought it was a baton, but nope, he had a fucking gun, and I had heard the rumour he was packing heat before. So my buddy that got called out told us "we should probably start running".

Unsurprisingly, they went after us, and chased us into the nearby forest trails, the guy with the gun having it fully brandished. It was 15 seconds in that we came across a fork in the trail, and on the go, we asked each other which way to go. My dumb ass yelled to go right, but we broke left, and they were stupid enough to not split up. The whole time I was running, I could feel my legs cramping and I couldn't really breathe, but the adrenalin from being chased was keeping me going; it was a feeling of pure fear that I have never felt since.

We lost them, and basically I never cut through that fucking park since unless there's lots of people around. Even though he never fired it, seeing the gun alone was enough to question whether or not we were going to live.