REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

StylinRed 01-24-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9015301)
Stylin, dunno if your parents have TV service but Telus if offering free multi culctural packages for the entire term of new TV contracts.

Of course that means paying for a TV contract if you were used to getting it for free over an Android box etc

Ohh that's cool, yea my rents still use Shaw for tv, it's just the Asian stations are showing older shows etc, but a deal with telus might be a good incentive for em to make a switch!

sonick 01-24-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 9015314)
Get into something physical. Lifting, a martial arts, something strenuous.

I've found that always has helped my seasonal depression, big time.

The toys will only make you happy temporarily, you'll get bored of the toy, and then look for the next thing to replace it. It's a never-ending chase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark0821 (Post 9015147)
TLDR: Just some gebbrish about realizing adulting is hard hahaha

Sorry guys, honestly, just wanted somewhere that I can vent it out?

I woke up today almost depressed? I dont want to use the word depressed, as I dont want to take away from people actually suffering from depression. I know it is a serious mental issue. And personally I am no where near that, maybe just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I don't know whats going wrong but I think I am losing interest as an enthuasist, just the hobby is expensive, looked down upon by my peers and family (except my wife), and the whole VI thing not looking to end anytime soon.

In some cases, it seems like the car thing is holding me back from achieving "more meaningful" goals in my life if you catch my drift? Like... lets pluck down 80k on a M2... or 80k can get you ahead in alot of other things... maybe its the kids growing older and not sure where the extra income is going to come from to cover all the extra expenses, the mortgage is only 8 years out of the 35 year term...

Just seems that, even thought Im getting a raise every year, it feels like I am actually less wealthy every year. Keep pinching and saving where I could and money seems to go out faster than it is coming back in....

The problem is, I dont really even have any other hobbies if that....

Maybe a drive up to Squamish will clear my head...

and for people who read this long into this unorganized, no point rant, thank you.

Fudge....

Towards the end of 2019 I was in a pretty bad spot with work stress as well as just the monotony of adult life. I had been seeing a therapist which helped a bit, but in the new year 2020 I started gratitude journaling on a weekly basis having read some positive effects from it. Essentially every Sunday night I reflect on 5 things I was grateful for and why.

Not sure if it was a coincidence with COVID, but my approach to my day to day perspective gradually changed for the better. Even though nothing around me had been happening, I was happy and grateful for what I did have in my life.

It wasn't an immediate change, I was forcing myself to go through the actions but eventually the habit bled into my day to day.

I admit to a bit of boredom since the holidays causing me to buy random things, but it's definitely not the dark mindset I had last year.

I would suggest seeking therapy, or looking into gratitude or mindfulness activities (which I consider working out or physical activity to be) as it definitely had a positive impact for me.

That and also CBD lol.

Hondaracer 01-24-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 9015317)
Ohh that's cool, yea my rents still use Shaw for tv, it's just the Asian stations are showing older shows etc, but a deal with telus might be a good incentive for em to make a switch!

Yea there are quite extensive Chinese channels I believe. But I’d confirm the packs are what your parents actually watch

EvoFire 01-24-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark0821 (Post 9015147)
TLDR: Just some gebbrish about realizing adulting is hard hahaha

Sorry guys, honestly, just wanted somewhere that I can vent it out?

I woke up today almost depressed? I dont want to use the word depressed, as I dont want to take away from people actually suffering from depression. I know it is a serious mental issue. And personally I am no where near that, maybe just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I don't know whats going wrong but I think I am losing interest as an enthuasist, just the hobby is expensive, looked down upon by my peers and family (except my wife), and the whole VI thing not looking to end anytime soon.

In some cases, it seems like the car thing is holding me back from achieving "more meaningful" goals in my life if you catch my drift? Like... lets pluck down 80k on a M2... or 80k can get you ahead in alot of other things... maybe its the kids growing older and not sure where the extra income is going to come from to cover all the extra expenses, the mortgage is only 8 years out of the 35 year term...

Just seems that, even thought Im getting a raise every year, it feels like I am actually less wealthy every year. Keep pinching and saving where I could and money seems to go out faster than it is coming back in....

The problem is, I dont really even have any other hobbies if that....

Maybe a drive up to Squamish will clear my head...

and for people who read this long into this unorganized, no point rant, thank you.

Fudge....

You aren't alone. I've been feeling exactly the same. For me there are things that I took for granted, like going out for food, or going to the grocery store together with my wife. We have a 16 month old and we haven't been to Superstore as a family. Before shit closed down in March we were already on high alert in Jan/Feb and limited taking the little one out. Little things that brought joy like heading out for dessert after dinner is no longer possible.

Funny you mention a M2. I plopped down for a M3 two years back. Huge step in life and Euro Delivery was amazing. Nowadays the M3 sits for weeks on end not driven because it's easier to just take the SUV. I've filling the M3 once every 6 weeks, maybe if even.

I'm questioning my enthusiast card as well. Covid, life, priorities have all changed from a few years ago. With WFH being life now, trading in the M3 for a bigger house with some office space doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

I don't feel the money pinch as much cause I think my salary gains have far outpaced inflation, but it has not kept up with housing though. The housing pinch is real.

Yeah rants.... some days it's bad when I get up in the morning. I find myself craving for a pour of whiskey or henny at night a lot. Just a word of advice, resist the urge. The alcohol really messes my mental health up and I feel it can easily spiral out of control.

UnknownJinX 01-25-2021 08:33 AM

Well, that was quick. The curse of Mustang strikes one of my friends.

He told me that he is following my other friend's Civic Si, and he is following my other friend on a highway. Light turned yellow, and he thought my other friend was gonna drive through the light. Nope. I am actually surprised and glad that the collision was relatively minor. Still, he told me it's gonna cost a few grand to fix everything.

Just kind of hilarious as he showed it to me as I am a Camaro owner, LOL. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...def43c96c6.jpg

Hondaracer 01-25-2021 09:15 AM

Curse of shit drivers more like it..

nismodrifter 01-25-2021 10:23 AM

I need tires mounted in Kelowna.

Tires are going on a set of custom made wheels.
I need the installer to be proficient, handling them with care and avoiding any damage.

Any suggestions as to who I can trust would be most appreciated.

whitev70r 01-25-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 9015383)
Well, that was quick. The curse of Mustang strikes one of my friends.

He told me that he is following my other friend's Civic Si, and he is following my other friend on a highway. Light turned yellow, and he thought my other friend was gonna drive through the light. Nope. I am actually surprised and glad that the collision was relatively minor. Still, he told me it's gonna cost a few grand to fix everything.

Just kind of hilarious as he showed it to me as I am a Camaro owner, LOL.

Damn ... that's gotta be awkward rear ending a friend.

whitev70r 01-25-2021 11:01 AM

anyone has a good recommend for juice cleanse?
Damn ... they are $$$$$!

UnknownJinX 01-25-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9015393)
Curse of shit drivers more like it..

I don't think the guy has much experience behind the wheel, or at least he hasn't been driving for a while.
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9015402)

Yep, and now he has a friend with a Camaro that's gonna poke fun about it all the time, LOL.

The other guy actually has a Hellcat as well, so each of us has a pony from the Big 3.

punkwax 01-25-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9015402)

:hay:

Presto 01-28-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 9011684)
Chongga is the most popular brand, but I find it to be way too salty. I like Jongga (yes very similar names) it's a bit funky and sour and not too salty.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Didn't see Chongga at the Hmart. The prolific brand seemed to be Jongga. I went with the small 750g to try out, and we like it.

skiiipi 01-29-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismodrifter (Post 9015401)
I need tires mounted in Kelowna.

Tires are going on a set of custom made wheels.
I need the installer to be proficient, handling them with care and avoiding any damage.

Any suggestions as to who I can trust would be most appreciated.

have you tried august motors?

Liquid_o2 02-01-2021 09:55 AM

Probably a silly question.

I need to order something off of Amazon.com as the product I need currently isn't available in Canada.

Amazon.com states the following:
AmazonGlobal Shipping + $17.68
Estimated Import Fees Deposit + $6.90

I'm fine with paying those fees. Has anyone had to pay duty + import fees that are significantly higher than what Amazon.com estimates? I don't want to get screwed over and pay an additional $50 on top of what is listed.

RCubed 02-01-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 9016390)
Probably a silly question.

I need to order something off of Amazon.com as the product I need currently isn't available in Canada.

Amazon.com states the following:
AmazonGlobal Shipping + $17.68
Estimated Import Fees Deposit + $6.90

I'm fine with paying those fees. Has anyone had to pay duty + import fees that are significantly higher than what Amazon.com estimates? I don't want to get screwed over and pay an additional $50 on top of what is listed.

The use Pitney Bowes as a broker and all fees are prepaid. Never had an issue with additional fees, but they are slow because they first send the package to their distribution center.

GLOW 02-01-2021 10:53 AM

i've only bought a handful of times this way and did not require me to pay anything more than estimated...no guarantee though i think.

Liquid_o2 02-01-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCubed (Post 9016391)
The use Pitney Bowes as a broker and all fees are prepaid. Never had an issue with additional fees, but they are slow because they first send the package to their distribution center.

I'm fine if it takes a few weeks, no rush. Says I'll get it by mid-Feb.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll take the chance as I won't be able to head across the border for a while.

EuterVanWasser 02-01-2021 02:26 PM

Hey all, any recommendations for a restaurant in East Van / Burnaby that does a good Peking duck to go? Wife's birthday and she wants a Peking duck dinner. Help a gwai-lo out here bois!

whitev70r 02-01-2021 03:20 PM

Pretty unique request but Yaohan T&T has that option. Never tried it though.

Here is another, more like BBQ duck with the crepes in one kit, in Burnaby:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5796688955935/

If you really want to go all out, $80+ each, around Broadway and Pine though Old Beijing Roast Duck

Presto 02-02-2021 04:19 PM

Happy Groundhog Day!
Apparently, spring is coming early.

highfive 02-03-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser (Post 9016430)
Hey all, any recommendations for a restaurant in East Van / Burnaby that does a good Peking duck to go? Wife's birthday and she wants a Peking duck dinner. Help a gwai-lo out here bois!

It’s all about having it hot when eating it.

Hopewell on first ave marketplace is pretty good. T and t sells one in a box where you can bake it at home. Or request for one from the bbq place and do what restaurants do and cook the skin with a nice hot oil bath if you’re have a wok to create thst crispy skin

Obsideon 02-03-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9016442)
Pretty unique request but Yaohan T&T has that option. Never tried it though.

Here is another, more like BBQ duck with the crepes in one kit, in Burnaby:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5796688955935/

If you really want to go all out, $80+ each, around Broadway and Pine though Old Beijing Roast Duck

Take it with a grain of salt but I've had 2 friends try Old Beijing Roast Duck and they said it wasn't worth it at all. And they normally spend quite a bit at dinners. Because of their comments I have not been there personally.

You can probably get decent peking duck at most Chinese restaurants like Sun Sui Wah, Kirin, etc...

StylinRed 02-03-2021 09:04 PM

+1 to Old Beijing duck sucking

xxxrsxxx 02-03-2021 09:50 PM

Quan Ju De Beijing Duck House on Cambie and 12th is a famous China chain for Peking duck. They make a whole presentation about it and lights the whole duck on fire in front of you.

StylinRed 02-03-2021 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx (Post 9016745)
Quan Ju De Beijing Duck House on Cambie and 12th is a famous China chain for Peking duck. They make a whole presentation about it and lights the whole duck on fire in front of you.

Wow I must be living under a rock, didn't know we got one here! But its a fusion style restaurant hmm... Still gotta give it a shot one of these days $98 for roast duck, last time I had duck at that price it was in Australia and deep fried, but you got the whole duck

Edit: eh reviews r meh too