REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Razor Ramon HG 01-03-2022 09:30 PM

Starbucks makes the drink into their own cup and pours it into yours. Not sure how drive through McDonalds would work. I guess the person handing you your food does something similar.

lilaznviper 01-03-2022 09:38 PM

most of the time i order through the app. so how will that work? they just make it and wait til i get there bring it out and pour it into my own cup and they just waste a cup?

whitev70r 01-03-2022 10:38 PM

Hmmm ..I'll report back tomorrow to see how it's done.

AzNightmare 01-04-2022 12:22 AM

edit. nvm.

Razor Ramon HG 01-04-2022 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 9049365)
most of the time i order through the app. so how will that work? they just make it and wait til i get there bring it out and pour it into my own cup and they just waste a cup?

I don't use the app so I can't say, but I imagine so. And the baristas use reuseable cups for this purpose because they aren't allowed to wash or touch customer's cups.

lilaznviper 01-04-2022 09:39 AM

i put in an order their the mcds app and it auto puts in the cup fee. looks like the only way is to buy via cashier. most stores only have 1 cashier now so its going to be a long line to save 25 cents.
Not sure what gets displayed on the kiosk machines

Hondaracer 01-04-2022 09:41 AM

So it’s just another tax grab that is virtually impossible to avoid in most situations..

Build a fucking recycling program where you pay 5 cents per cup turned in at return it depots, the garbage would be eliiated and would provide a revenue stream for the homeless. Instead of this faceless tax grab going into general revenue

inv4zn 01-04-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9049382)
So it’s just another tax grab that is virtually impossible to avoid in most situations..

Build a fucking recycling program where you pay 5 cents per cup turned in at return it depots, the garbage would be eliiated and would provide a revenue stream for the homeless. Instead of this faceless tax grab going into general revenue

It's not even a tax grab, that $ goes straight into the restaurant's coffers. Essentially COV told restaurants they can charge more on the guise of sustainability (which, convolutedly makes some sense), but other cities which had nothing to do with this are all like fuck yeah us too!

whitev70r 01-04-2022 10:10 AM

Experiment fail ...I usually go to McD in Vanc but today pulled into one in Richmond. Wanted to see if I can use my own mug at the drive through. Richmond doesn't charge disposable cup fee, it's only a Vancouver thing.

So one way is to get your coffee in Richmond, Burnaby, or North Shore ...if it's not out of your way.

murd0c 01-04-2022 10:20 AM

I went to A&W in Poco today and was charged 25 cents for my cup. So it's not just Vancouver by the looks of things. They even told me if I wanted my food in a bag they had to charge me for the bag.. WTF

whitev70r 01-04-2022 10:25 AM

^ oh ..as of today, Richmond is not charging ...they may jump on the wagon. If $0.25 goes to their pockets, why not?

teggy604 01-04-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9049382)

That is a better idea than CoV. Make it like buying pop where you can recoup that cost. They put all this bullshit on the front end and have nothing at the back end when it comes to recycling.

And worst is they leave it to the business like mc Donald to use that money how they see fit with no accountability where that money goes into. We all are not born yesterday. Essentially if you go take out or drive thru you pay 25 cents for cup and another 15 cents for a paper bag. That a couple bucks extra if you order for a family.

lilaznviper 01-04-2022 11:13 AM

tried to order a meal and wasn't charged a 15 cent paper bag fee via mcds app. 25cents adds up pretty quickly if you grab coffee everyday

El Bastardo 01-04-2022 12:36 PM

Insanity. I can go anywhere here and get a styrofoam bucket to hold my pop in and its dirt cheap.
Absolute cash grab.

Hondaracer 01-04-2022 12:46 PM

Here’s an idea, but a 300 pack of red solo cups from Costco for $12 use those for your coffee and toss it in the garbage after. You’ll come out ahead after 50 cups tossed with 250 being your profit… lol

inv4zn 01-04-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9049419)
Here’s an idea, but a 300 pack of red solo cups from Costco for $12 use those for your coffee and toss it in the garbage after. You’ll come out ahead after 50 cups tossed with 250 being your profit… lol

Haha, "how to be an asshole for only 12 dollars!!"

But yeah, this is stupidity at it's finest.

Although, I should say, some of this is psychological - like because you see it as a separate line item, and know it's going to fuck all, it's very annoying.

But if McDicks silently upped all their drink prices by 25 cents none of us would notice haha

whitev70r 01-04-2022 01:28 PM

It is a strategy to get you to use your own cup and stop the paper cup waste. Where the $0.25 goes is irrelevant. I was just thinking that $0.25 is just enough to make me want to make that effort of bringing my own cup. Any less like 5 cents, I would have said, hell, I'll just pay the extra to save the hassle of me bringing a mug/washing it afterwards. That's all this is. Just imagine all the paper cups that are used in one day here in hippie coffee drinking Vancouver. If we can save using 25% of those cups in one day, I think it would go a long way. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less. I, for one, like it.

GLOW 01-04-2022 01:57 PM

can you even bring/use your own cup for coffee with covid and all?

i would think you're forced to use a new cup from the store and pay the 25 cents

Hondaracer 01-04-2022 02:30 PM

As said above they will use a reusable cup and pour your coffee into it, not sure if right at the till or at the check out area at a Starbucks etc.

I didn’t even mind bringing my own cup but with Covid now it becomes a big thing as opposed to where you used to just hand them the cup.

Are you going to use your own cup for a caramel macchiato or sonthing like that? Lol even a latte kinda has to be made in the cup it will be served in

AzNightmare 01-04-2022 02:45 PM

Well fuck, I though it was only 0.15 for a cup. It's actually 0.25, and 0.15 for a bag? wtf.

And I guess I won't be getting any more McD stickers on their cups, so that's more profit for McD when people stop redeeming free coffee.

Manic! 01-04-2022 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 9049417)
Insanity. I can go anywhere here and get a styrofoam bucket to hold my pop in and its dirt cheap.
Absolute cash grab.

But 6 inches of snow kills hundreds of people. In 2015 the US government told Texas to winterize the electrical grid but the current governor sued and one won the right not to.

Also Texas gets more covid money from Brandon then any other state.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/texas-...united-states/

whitev70r 01-05-2022 09:57 AM

PSA ...can confirm that at McD, whether you walk in or go to drive through ... you cannot bring your own mug. Which kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thing. I thought it was to eliminate use of paper cups in the city.

inv4zn 01-05-2022 12:10 PM

Soon we'll have to do this for take out...:facepalm:
https://i1.wp.com/www.leadercoaching...1.18.54-PM.png

StylinRed 01-05-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 9049436)
Well fuck, I though it was only 0.15 for a cup. It's actually 0.25, and 0.15 for a bag? wtf.

And I guess I won't be getting any more McD stickers on their cups, so that's more profit for McD when people stop redeeming free coffee.

I got charged $0.30 for a paper bag at St. German bakery

BlackV62K2 01-05-2022 05:57 PM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...from-maskless/

Lol put a bunch of douche "influencers" on plane and this happens. Gotta do it for the gram right?