REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #13626
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
https://www.southernliving.com/garde...ronella-plants

bought a few citronella plants that were on sale and it seemed to have curbed mosquitos

knock on wood
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #13627
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
I need to offer my body up to science.

I'm completely immune to mosquito bites... they can bite me a hundred times and I get no mark and no itching. I really have no idea why this is the case?

I literally went camping once in Skagit Valley and there were swarms of them, everyone I was with their entire legs and arms were just red dotted itching messes and I walked out of there with the same porcelain white baby skin I went in with
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #13628
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,715 Times in 3,135 Posts
^ GIVE ME YOUR GENES !!!!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #13629
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Municipalities set the parking requirements. In townhouse zones, that typically means 2 cars within a strata lot. So, the developer will build a tandem garage that's long enough to accommodate two cars. The driveway is usually an afterthought and only constructed as part of some mandatory setback from the common driveway.

Sure, it's developer 'greed'. They build to the minimum or design the property with marketability in mind. I haven't seen many sales brochures with long driveways to accommodate a full-size pickup with a hitch as a feature. Most customers don't care enough to demand long driveways, at least not yet.
I think the average consumer doesn’t really realize how their parking will work until after they move in
Old 07-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #13630
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Are there any mosquito creams that work on bites?

Also are there any mosquito sprays / solutions that actually work?

I saw this $150 mosquito trap at costco, tempted to just toss it on my balcony to get rid of any bugs lol.
Mopiko is one of my favourite ointments. Minty menthol feels soothing. Western version is Goldbond
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #13631
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
When u was swarmed I didn't think I got bit cuz there was no reaction for like a day n half, now a few of the bites I got are swelled up like crazy, that's never happened to me before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Are there any mosquito creams that work on bites?

Also are there any mosquito sprays / solutions that actually work?

I use a Japanese ointment called Muhi S also one from a brand called Yuskin (for bug bites) I find the Muhi S to be waaaaay better, no itch and feels/smells menthol-y

Oh just realised the Muhi S I use is the exact same as the Mopiko that conezone recommended, just branded differently for different regions

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-12-2022 at 12:17 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2022, 02:18 PM   #13632
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly in those scenarios the developer should have thought the design out better rather than with greed top of mind.
They should, but at the same time if you're driving a vehicle that doesn't fit in a parking space that's a you problem. A little overhang isn't a big deal but I hate the nut sacks in crew cabs who park in the front row of a parking lot and block half the roadway so people can't get past their shitbox because their 2 brain cells can't be bothered to go double park in the back where they fit.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #13633

I don’t even think it’s “greed” per say but just poor design

Instead of leaving a 5-6’ concrete pad in front of the garage that appears to be a parking spot, just make the common road wider or design the layout in a different way that it’s impossible to park a vehicle on the concrete leading into your garage
Old 07-12-2022, 06:59 PM   #13634
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

I use a Japanese ointment called Muhi S also one from a brand called Yuskin (for bug bites) I find the Muhi S to be waaaaay better, no itch and feels/smells menthol-y

Oh just realised the Muhi S I use is the exact same as the Mopiko that conezone recommended, just branded differently for different regions
I just realized the one that we have is Hong Kong market regular Mopiko (it only has English and Chinese on the package)
I grew up thinking it was a Chinese ointment cuz we read the kanji as “mo bei go”, and we’d always get it from the Chinese herbal shops haha.
I googled Muhi Mopiko-S and it seems like the S means Extra Strength Mopiko... hmm neat! Is it available locally?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:25 PM   #13635
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Ahh
I think I saw the Japanese products store in Richmond Centre carry it, cant remember exactly, my mom just has a huge supply from Japan
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #13636
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
First time going to the United Boulevard Transfer Station. After seeing it being built over the last two or so years, they opened up in March of this year. I was expecting all kinds of new technology and stuff. It's basically just a bigger version of every other transfer station out there. They open at 5:30 in the morning, so I went at around 6:00. Three vehicles there, including this small station wagon - young couple. Female was pretty darn hot. Couldn't help but notice the skinny jeans. Anyway, I hitched up the aluminum trailer and loaded it up with about 8 rotted out fence panels and other pieces of wood last night.

Grand total came out to 19 bucks. I was predicting 40 bucks, so big bonus. Nothing but super dried out mold and bug infested wood. Definitely going non-peak hours from now on. Saved me time and some bucks. I was expecting huge lineups. They have lineup cams on their site. At 5:30, the place was empty, so I thought they were closed.

Did I mention I love my all aluminum 14 foot trailer? Grated aluminum ramp is so handy. No wind resistance when up. Trailer is so light, too. Hardly notice it. Electric brakes hooked up to a Tekonsha controller. I used to tow a car hauler filled with racing gear and car up to Ashcroft with no issues. Ridgeline - the little truck that could.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 07-13-2022 at 08:07 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #13637
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
What does everyone do for BBQ's these days? My co-worker is an older east indian lady ~45 who was ranting to me about going to a bbq and it sucked because there was barely any food and there was no alcohol. When she hosts a bbq everything is taken care of by her, food and drink.

I think that's a pretty old school way of doing a BBQ and it's quite a bit financially for the host. I told her that these days most people just BYOB at the very least and it's common to have a potluck bbq now.

What do you guys do?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:11 AM   #13638
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
Depends on the menu and size of the crowd but definitely BYOBeers and I’ll have a couple of bottles around for drinks if people want to mix one up.

If it’s just burgs and dogs then I’ll take care of everything. If it’s another couple or two, I’ll take care of steaks or whatever but I’m not feeding 20+ people a t-bone unless it’s a special event or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #13639
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Good for your co-worker.............. BYOS (bring your own shit) is pretty much the way it is. Not everybody can afford to provide everything. It's the company that matters. If you're into impressing others, well....................... nuff said. Just make sure not to invite her over to a BBQ. My 2 bits.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #13640
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
When I host, assuming it is about 6-12 ppl, I typically manage the 'main' dishes and maybe a side that will leave the group not hungry. And then ask people to bring any additional sides/dessert/drinks they want to have themselves. Most ppl like to bring desserts/sweets and so I don't tend to prepare that.

A few weeks ago I did 2 lbs of wings, and burger bar where I laid out all the fixins and let ppl build their own burgers, both with meat and impossible for the vegan folks. This was for about 9 adults and 5 young kids.

I will be doing DIY taco night for 6 adults this coming weekend, where I'll grill up a nice flank or skirt steak for carne asada, some beyond meat with taco seasoning, and grilled eggplant. Along with the fixins of tortillas, grilled bell peppers, salsa/guac/sour cream, and cheese.

In my circle, I think its assumed ppl will not show up empty handed, and will have drinks enough for themselves at the very least, supplemented by additional options by the host. And then any drinks leftover is left for the host.

And then additional food is upon request as a favor from the host.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 07-13-2022 at 08:39 AM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #13641
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
We're hosting this weekend as well. My wife is old school about hosting events - she prides herself on creating a cohesive menu and ensuring that people have enough to eat to the point that she discourages our guests from bringing any food. We encourage people to bring their own booze however.

We are trimming our budget by utilizing poultry and pork as our proteins, rather than beef.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #13642
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
You should always bring booze at minimum.

I have people over all the time, and they always bring their own drinks.

I'd never go to a BBQ or visit without bringing my own bottles either.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #13643

We usually have a big Xmas party and a summer party each year.

Xmas we supply wine and most of the food, get charcuterie, appies etc. tell people to maybe bring an appy or dessert and BYOB

Summer we usually do burgers and dogs and provide like potato salad and chips along with a few cases of beer. Typically I can guzzle back 8-15 beers on my own so if I’m going to be providing I should have quite a few lol.

I think going to a BBQ where absolutely nothing is provided kind of defeats the purpose of hosting a bbq? Lol
Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #13644
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
When I host, assuming it is about 6-12 ppl, I typically manage the 'main' dishes and maybe a side that will leave the group not hungry. And then ask people to bring any additional sides/dessert/drinks they want to have themselves. Most ppl like to bring desserts/sweets and so I don't tend to prepare that.

A few weeks ago I did 2 lbs of wings, and burger bar where I laid out all the fixins and let ppl build their own burgers, both with meat and impossible for the vegan folks. This was for about 9 adults and 5 young kids.

I will be doing DIY taco night for 6 adults this coming weekend, where I'll grill up a nice flank or skirt steak for carne asada, some beyond meat with taco seasoning, and grilled eggplant. Along with the fixins of tortillas, grilled bell peppers, salsa/guac/sour cream, and cheese.

In my circle, I think its assumed ppl will not show up empty handed, and will have drinks enough for themselves at the very least, supplemented by additional options by the host. And then any drinks leftover is left for the host.

And then additional food is upon request as a favor from the host.
This is kinda how I think.

It's situation dependent, I treat a small dinner party differently than an informal "invite everyone you know to a bbq" The former will get fancy cooking, the latter will get costco frozen burger patties but as the host I'll always provide something (I've also found that through experience, for the bigger parties it's better to keep it simple anyways.)

I've been to a "bring your own meat" bbq before, I dunno, I find that very awkward. Everyone waiting their turn to cook their shit on the grill, and eating different stuff (I'm also pretty OCD about my grills so, I could never do that). Though it could probably work if everyone brought something that the host then cooked up and made a giant "sampler plate" that everyone could share.

Also maybe it's the way I've been raised, but leftover booze is always left to the host. Taking leftover booze home with you just feels so rude, regardless if the host provided any food or not, they still provided their home to have the party at.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 07-13-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #13645
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
We have BBQs at my friend's house a few times a year.

He'll have some meat and booze, but everyone is expected to bring some of their own stuff to contribute.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #13646
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
It's a different culture. With Indians if you go to someones house they will stuff you with food and drinks. Things are changing with the newer generations by being exposed to western traditions like a pot luck.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #13647
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This is kinda how I think.

It's situation dependent, I treat a small dinner party differently than an informal "invite everyone you know to a bbq" The former will get fancy cooking, the latter will get costco frozen burger patties but as the host I'll always provide something (I've also found that through experience, for the bigger parties it's better to keep it simple anyways.)
Can vouch for Great68, fantastic host. All of RS should stop by his place!
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #13648
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Did a few BBQs this summer already with the new grill and house.

We prepped all the meats, sides, and non-alcohol drinks. We did a bring your own booze because everyone has a different preference to beers, and more than half the girls are pregnant/breastfeeding.

$250 covering for 10 ppl isn't too bad imo, we had leftovers too for the next day with enough food for 4 people.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:56 PM   #13649
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Has anyone had to talk to a friend about not contributing to group outings? Like many of you, I never show up to an event empty handed. My go to for a BBQ is bringing tandoori chicken to fire up (which I don't mind grilling myself) and I bring beer or wine for the host.

But, there are always the usual suspects that don't seem to contribute with either booze or some form of snack/appy/dessert. It really irks me that every time they go to an event they don't contribute.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #13650
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,005 Times in 1,910 Posts
^ simple, just don't invite them to future events. No need to 'talk' to them.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote