REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #1351
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
happy 4/20

Advertisement
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #1352
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
It's certainly not a matter of opinion that humans are omnivores, our teeth are evidence of that and I would not argue that we are not. I would also say however, that humans like all primates are capable of adapting to differing environmental conditions (diet included) very well. Certain primates are vegetarian, while others eat meat rarely, and others pursue meat as an active part of their diet, all with very nearly identical biological structure.I don't think being vegetarian is by nature destroying ones body, some consider it healthier, some consider it unhealthy, I think it's fairly neutral.

Even if I believed my diet was detrimental to my health, lets say being vegetarian took a few years off my life, I still would be. The little fish I eat, I catch, I kill and it is not the emotionless factory farmed, saran wrapped on a piece of styrofoam experience that many people depend on maintaining to avoid acknowledging the life of the animal the flesh came from. I can't separate life from flesh, I need to acknowledge and pay respects to that life personally. If I know the animal suffered in it's life to feed me, like a chicken in a broiler barn does, I can't avoid a sense of guilt for contributing to that suffering. That's a bit strange perhaps, but I've been that way since I was very young. I probably sound the same way a Christian babbling about creation does right now... :P

I'll try to check out that book during the summer.

I have a movie that might interest you. It's called "Animals". A Canadian Indy film maker moves to a farm in Nova Scotia and buys a few animals, against the advise of his farmer neighbors, he treats them as living creatures and not simple faceless commodities. The film maker raises and bonds with them emotionally, at maturity he slaughters and butchers the animals, then eats them. It brings up topics that people are very afraid to face and offers some interesting insights.

You're a smart dude too Skinny, thanks for the compliment.
The 'teeth' argument is silly, and I'll just leave it at that. But as you said, if there's one thing we can do, it's adapt to different things. That's why I usually just take the 'to each their own' sentiment with so many things. However, to say that this is the 'proper' way to eat, is where I take issue with it. But we can leave that alone since I don't think you are going to try to argue that

I think it comes down to two things: 1) Putting humans on a pedestal. This is where vegetarianism is basically like religion - our egos are so huge, we can't accept the fact that we are just animals. But that's all we are, and all we ever were. We are animals, designed and evolved over millions of years, but now there is this great importance placed upon us, and for some reason people are "above" eating animals. Like there is something wrong with it, and it's cruel. Well guess what - animals eat animals. And so do we. There's nothing inherently 'cruel' about it. Go look at how animals hunt in the wild.. Everything from ants, to lions, and everything in between are 'cruel' to each other. Because tehy are just doing what they're designed to do in order to survive. Hell, even plants aren't vegan, which is an interesting juxtaposition to bring up to vegans

And the second issue is the general anthropomorphism of animals, and how it affects us... I guess it might be the same issue overall, but it comes down to empathy. My wife is VERY empathetic to all living things. She's the type of person who will see a snail or slug in a path, and move it aside to make sure it doesn't get stepped on. But that doesn't stop her from being a normal meat eating person, because she respects the animals, and respects what they provide to us. I think if that self realization wasn't there, she would almost certainly become a vegetarian (like her sister, who eventually had to stop because she was getting sick, and also came to a similar realization that hey, humans eat animals and that's OK)

As far as cruelty to animals, you can be cruel to an animal, or you can't. It is up to you to decide. And the same goes for someone working at a chicken farm or a beef farm. There is nothing you can do to stop a cruel person from being cruel, including not eating their products. Because they are going to be cunts whether you eat beef or not. And if everyone stopped eating meat, they would all still be cunts (well, for the short time before the environment collapses, which is inevitable if such a thing were to happen)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #1353
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #1354
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #1355
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Hey ricers, fast and furious is on TV followed by 2fast 2furious channel 38
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #1356
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66683...g-springs.html
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #1357
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Finally went out with the chick that has the massive tits and it was a interesting date.

Well got lost going to her place driving around for 45mins ended up finding it at 10:15, was going to go to the boathouse for a couple drinks and oh snap they close at 11, go to Onyx steak house and same ficken thing. We ended up going to Browns talking until 1230 (they close at 12) but over all it was a decent time can't wait for the next one thats hopefully a bit eariler in the evening...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #1358
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've noticed that from time to time, my gas gauge's needle will go to full when it shouldn't be there and then gradually go back down (which may take a couple of days) Anyone know why this is happening?
Cereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #1359
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts

lolwut
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
I've noticed that from time to time, my gas gauge's needle will go to full when it shouldn't be there and then gradually go back down (which may take a couple of days) Anyone know why this is happening?
The gas float or gas level sensor is probably wonky.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #1361
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think it comes down to two things: 1) Putting humans on a pedestal. This is where vegetarianism is basically like religion - our egos are so huge, we can't accept the fact that we are just animals. But that's all we are, and all we ever were. We are animals, designed and evolved over millions of years, but now there is this great importance placed upon us, and for some reason people are "above" eating animals. Like there is something wrong with it, and it's cruel. Well guess what - animals eat animals. And so do we. There's nothing inherently 'cruel' about it. Go look at how animals hunt in the wild.. Everything from ants, to lions, and everything in between are 'cruel' to each other. Because tehy are just doing what they're designed to do in order to survive. Hell, even plants aren't vegan, which is an interesting juxtaposition to bring up to vegans \
By your logic, is it okay to kill others? Bears kill and eat their own young sometimes.

Alligators eat each other. Is cannibalism wrong? Because you can find examples of that in the animal world.

Yes, I agree, we are animals, but most of us would like to hold ourselves to a higher moral standard in human society, and not just disregard dispicable behavior as 'oh, it's not cruel, we're just animals."
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #1362
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
ran into an RSer the other day!

Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #1363
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
By your logic, is it okay to kill others? Bears kill and eat their own young sometimes.

Alligators eat each other. Is cannibalism wrong? Because you can find examples of that in the animal world.

Yes, I agree, we are animals, but most of us would like to hold ourselves to a higher moral standard in human society, and not just disregard dispicable behavior as 'oh, it's not cruel, we're just animals."
Normally I don't respond to straw man arguments like this, but I'll just put two questions here for you. Are we animals? Are we bears?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #1364
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Does anyone know if EasyWash in North Vancouver is still open?

Mix result from Yelp and Google Review.....
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #1365

Does anybody know if the old Ikea Richmond is still open or is it all in the new building?

I need to buy some sheets but don't want to bother with the grand opening crowds.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #1366
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Does anybody know if the old Ikea Richmond is still open or is it all in the new building?

I need to buy some sheets but don't want to bother with the grand opening crowds.
Should be open in the next day or two. Old building is pretty much empty.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #1367
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
schticky.. do they work and where can i get one ?
i have cats shedding and it sucks to buy lint rollers all the time.
i'm sure cat owners agree .
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsomnii View Post
schticky.. do they work and where can i get one ?
i have cats shedding and it sucks to buy lint rollers all the time.
i'm sure cat owners agree .
Saw it at the As Seen on TV store in Lansdowne.

It should work pretty well, I have a car sticky pad that uses the same material and it really is quite astounding how sticky it is, and how you can rinse it off with water, and once it dries it gets sticky again.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #1369
Banned By Establishment

just get your sheets from superstore.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #1370
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
ran into an RSer the other day!

Windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1371
Banned By Establishment

hahah is that from disneyland?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #1372
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Does anyone know if you can use a 2nd hand 02 sensor, assuming the replacement works ?
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #1373
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise240 View Post
Does anyone know if you can use a 2nd hand 02 sensor, assuming the replacement works ?
Of course you can, well as long as it's meant for that vehicle of course.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #1374
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Great ! Thanks, wasn't willing to spend the cash on a new 02

Last edited by Paradise240; 04-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #1375
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
my little rant for the day...

I am absolutely stunned that Castanet (Kelowna's largest news site, classifieds, and forum. significantly busier than craigslist) now charges $20+tax for employers to post help wanted ads when they have always been free. Last year there were 3-4 times as many ads per category than there are now. The help wanted ads are more beneficial for people trying to find work than they are for employers. Unemployment is a big concern to everyone, and Castanet is now making it harder for people to find work? It costs us employers more money to help someone find a job now than it does to advertise services available. I could understand perhaps $5. But going from free to $20 is absurd.