REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

winson604 08-16-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9072842)
Nevermind the drivers, not all of them obviously but quite a few... I am often waiting at places and they just barge up to the front with their bag open yelling out their order number and the staff always have to gravitate toward them.

I also have the experience quite often of trying to order something and the terminal for an order app starts dinging away and their attention is drawn away from me to check what's on that and then back to me again.

Do the delivery apps still make you decide the tip% before the food even arrives? That's some serious intimidation if it's still the case (I believe it was with some of them).

Yes but you can change the tip amount up to a certain time after the food had arrived. I know there have been stories from the driver side saying they saw an order with a nice tip then after the delivered they changed it to a shitty ass tip or none at all.

underscore 08-17-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 9073033)
This can be changed by taking ownership of the GoogleMyBusiness listing though. I wonder how good of an effort Uber takes into GMB management

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Not every restaurant owner is going to be tech savvy enough to figure that out though.

Spoon 08-17-2022 07:59 AM

Ordered Uber Eats when they were running promotions and the driver went on a giant detour with my meal. Food arrived cold even though the restaurant was less than 10 mins away, and I was able to remove his tip. What I didn't expect was Uber (or likely the restaurant) reimbursing me for the meal though.

IMO, delivery apps will be a hit or miss experience since it's driver dependent, but they're here to stay. Minimum wage isn't all that minimal anymore. So operators probably feel the pinch and need to maximize the usage of their staff even though it cuts their margins. And let's not forget about fuel and time cost. I've used delivery apps for family picnics and what not and the convenience is sometimes worth the extra cost.

MarkyMark 08-17-2022 08:22 AM

I've never had an issue getting my money back if the food arrives cold or if there was something wrong with the order. Not sure who actually takes the hit when that happens

When there are promotions it's cheaper or very close to the same price than it would be for me to order from the restaurant directly and pick it up myself

punkwax 08-17-2022 08:48 AM

All this talk of food apps had me curious if I had an offer sitting there since I haven’t ordered delivery in over a year or so. Checked skip at like 10PM and yep, $8 off of McD’s so I got all the kids a happy meal (Pokémon cards are out), let the boy stay up late for his chicken nuggies and customized myself a McDouble. They need a “like a mac” button btw..

First time having McDs in quite a while.. ‘twas a glorious late night munch sesh with the kids :lol

sonick 08-17-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 9073059)
I've never had an issue getting my money back if the food arrives cold or if there was something wrong with the order. Not sure who actually takes the hit when that happens

When there are promotions it's cheaper or very close to the same price than it would be for me to order from the restaurant directly and pick it up myself

I hope it's not the case, but I would assume the restaurant gets dinged when people request their money back. Shitty deal since its the delivery driver and the app's fault of setting the route and not at all the fault of the restaurant.

MarkyMark 08-17-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 9073064)
I hope it's not the case, but I would assume the restaurant gets dinged when people request their money back. Shitty deal since its the delivery driver and the app's fault of setting the route and not at all the fault of the restaurant.

Yeah that would be ridiculous because we've had situations where we saw the food sitting on someone's doorstep 8 houses over a couple of hours later when going for a walk lol

yray 08-17-2022 09:11 AM

any recommendations for a muffler/exhaust guy around the Bridgeport area

winson604 08-17-2022 09:25 AM

All this talk about food delivery apps who uses grocery delivery apps like Instacart lol. Man I haven't stepped foot into a Costco in over a year since I started using it.

Unlike food delivery apps like uber, door dash etc it isn't nearly as expensive not even close in my experience anyway. With food apps you're paying in some crazy pretty insane markups on the actual product and then a shit ton of extra fees on top.

With instcart the main difference lies in the markup of the product. I haven't looked at every single order I've ever done but I have found that sometimes the price on instacart was even lower than if I ordered it on costco.ca or if it was marked up the difference was extremely minimal.

Example:

Tide original
Coscto.ca = $27.49 after $5.50 off
Instacart = $24.09 after $$5.50 off

Zip Lock Med size bags
Coscto.ca = $15.49 after $3.50 off
Instacart = $14.59 after $3.50 off

I use it so much so that I got a membership for $99 a year (cheaper than an uber pass or door dash pass) and again so far great service, barely even paying more in some instances compared to going yourself even factoring in fees and tip.

Here's an example of a recent order. Service fee was basically nothing but sure tip and fee was $16. I may or may not have even paid any markup on the actual items. Compared to ordering food that's a steal on a $100+ order. You could easily order 2 or 3 items on a food app and already pay way more than $16.

Order totals
Item Subtotal

$108.45

Tip

$14.33

Service Fee

$1.96

Service Fee Tax

$0.10

Goods and Services Tax

$4.48

Provincial Sales Tax

$6.28

Retailer Discount

-$5.50

Instacart+ Member Delivery

Free

Total

$130.12

sonick 08-17-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 9073066)
any recommendations for a muffler/exhaust guy around the Bridgeport area

Not sure if too far, I've always heard good things about Hoegler's Muffler City on 3 Rd.

BIC_BAWS 08-17-2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 9073064)

Unfortunately, this is the case. See link below, directly from Uber.

https://help.uber.com/merchants-and-...6-96ca77682dd2

Spoon 08-17-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9073069)
With instcart the main difference lies in the markup of the product. I haven't looked at every single order I've ever done but I have found that sometimes the price on instacart was even lower than if I ordered it on costco.ca or if it was marked up the difference was extremely minimal.

TOS'd 08-17-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9073069)

Example:

Tide original
Coscto.ca = $27.49 after $5.50 off
Instacart = $24.09 after $$5.50 off
Costco in-store = $21.49 after $5.50 off

Zip Lock Med size bags
Coscto.ca = $15.49 after $3.50 off
Instacart = $14.59 after $3.50 off
Costco in-store = $12.99 after $3.50 off

Costco.ca is marked up vs. in-store at Costco already since shipping is built into the cost on the .ca website.

So yes Instacart may be a few bucks cheaper than the website, but it may very well be marked up slightly on top of the in-store price.

EDIT: added zip lock bag price.
EDIT: added tide original price.

Liquid_o2 08-17-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 9073089)
Costco.ca is marked up vs. in-store at Costco already since shipping is built into the cost on the .ca website.

So yes Instacart may be a few bucks cheaper than the website, but it may very well be marked up slightly on top of the in-store price.

EDIT: added zip lock bag price.
EDIT: added tide original price.

This is exactly it. If you shop in-store at Costco, the majority of items will be cheaper than what you see online. When you factor in $3 to $5 on each bulk item at Costco, it can really add up over the year.

Euro7r 08-17-2022 04:26 PM

For some reason, I've been overcharged at the Save-on-foods near my place twice in the past 3 weeks. First time the cashier gave me $4 off on-top of the correct price when I told them about the incorrect pricing when I bought burgers 3 weeks ago.

Today I bought an item in store where the label showed $19.99 but I was charged $29.99. I showed them no where on the aisle price tags show $29.99, the cashier refunded me the over-charged difference upon confirmation.

I recall if my understanding is correct, if an item is under $10, you get it for free if you spot the pricing error. If it's over $10, they have to give you the lower price (correct price) and offer $10 reduction?

TOS'd 08-17-2022 06:17 PM

Canadian Scanner Price Accuracy Code (Formerly known as SCOP). You need to mention SCOP and also the retailer must be participating in it to honour it, in your case Save-on-foods does.

https://www.simplyfrugal.ca/wp-conte...icker-2019.png

When I went to Loblaws and bought two sticks of butter on sale, they rang up as full price and I showed her the sale sign and mentioned SCOP, so she gave me the first one free and I paid the sale price on the second stick of butter.

AzNightmare 08-18-2022 04:52 AM

My Ring doorbell caught some guy that just walked up to my mail box and took everything in it.
Not sure if this is worthwhile to even report it...

SOL?

whitev70r 08-18-2022 06:06 AM

^ Sorry about that .. but definitely report especially if you got video ... cuz if guy is doing it to yours, chances are, he is doing it to others in the neighbourhood.

Fafine 08-18-2022 06:18 AM

Happened to us before. I'd suggest replacing the mailbox with a lockable one.

Hondaracer 08-18-2022 06:25 AM

If you’ve got clear video of the guy I’d probably print some flyers out and post em around the hood. At the very least it creates a deterrent

winson604 08-18-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 9073154)
My Ring doorbell caught some guy that just walked up to my mail box and took everything in it.
Not sure if this is worthwhile to even report it...

SOL?

I'd be pissed if it happened to be the mail drop with the Churches Chicken coupon.

604STIG 08-18-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 9073137)
Canadian Scanner Price Accuracy Code (Formerly known as SCOP). You need to mention SCOP and also the retailer must be participating in it to honour it, in your case Save-on-foods does.

https://www.simplyfrugal.ca/wp-conte...icker-2019.png

When I went to Loblaws and bought two sticks of butter on sale, they rang up as full price and I showed her the sale sign and mentioned SCOP, so she gave me the first one free and I paid the sale price on the second stick of butter.

Since learning about this years ago, I always automatically place the most expensive item im purchasing first to be scanned to maximize discount ($10 max)
I'm actually surprised at how many times per year this situation occurs.

sonick 08-18-2022 07:36 AM

How do you guys bring it up with the cashier?

I am always self-conscious about coming off like a tightwad-cheapskate, especially if cashiers aren't aware of the policy and I need to Karen it and ask for a manager.

Spoon 08-18-2022 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 9073128)
I recall if my understanding is correct, if an item is under $10, you get it for free if you spot the pricing error. If it's over $10, they have to give you the lower price (correct price) and offer $10 reduction?

They do.

Quote:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanne...accuracy-code/
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the displayed price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the displayed price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the lowest advertised price.
On the other hand, retailers have caught on. One time I discovered a discrepancy and informed the cashier while she was scanning my items. She corrected the price on the spot and just like magic, the mistake never took place because the proper way was to knowingly let the purchase go through and report to CSR. :yuno:

Then there's one time, I saw a lady with a giant cart of products at the CSR counter. Apparently she's known to the store, and on a weekly basis, she would go there to pick up incorrectly priced items to abuse the rules. CSR had to call their manager on the ruling and I did not stick around for the final verdict. But you have to admire her commitment. :awwyeah:

underscore 08-18-2022 08:02 AM

iirc mail theft is considered a fairly serious crime, so it'd be worth reporting it.