REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #14276
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Hmm... What kind of makes me wonder is, this whole race swap thing is solely for the purpose of being woke.
But why isn't Asians ever being the ones that do the replacing?

Imagine if it was an Asian Mermaid. People would be losing their minds even more over it.
What if they made Mulan Black?
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #14277
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #14278
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... What kind of makes me wonder is, this whole race swap thing is solely for the purpose of being woke.
But why isn't Asians ever being the ones that do the replacing?

Imagine if it was an Asian Mermaid. People would be losing their minds even more over it.
Quantum Leap reboot is going to star an Asian guy (but then, it's a new character not a reimaging)

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2022, 10:13 PM   #14279
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
The only one I thought wasn't too bad was Beauty and the Beast. They added in a bit more backstory to her parents (If I recall correctly).

They changed the 3rd act of Aladdin... and the whole Will Smith genie thing was weird.

LK was holy shit bad. It was a carbon copy of the original, yet every dramatic part was poorly executed and failed to even give any feels. And trying to make realism CGI, but then mix it with talking animals, it's just doesn't work.

I never watched those older animated movies like the one you mentioned before Little Mermaid. I agree, this would be a good opportunity for them to remake and refine them.

LM - Tarzan, aka "Disney's Renaissance" should have been left untouched. They're masterpieces.
I thought Maleficent was pretty good, so was Cruella(Emma Stone might have saved it). I'm sure Lion King was horrible though as I had zero interest in watching it. Pinocchio is in theaters now but I'm not sure I'm curious enough to even watch it on Disney+
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:18 PM   #14280
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

I have a barely used closet that I want to repurpose to store two sets of tires in.

I currently have a set of four on the ground, but looking to build a simple heavy duty shelf that can support the other set. I would have to stack these vertically, but there is enough space.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this? I was thinking of just installing some wall brackets to the studs and then going to Home Depot and having a piece of MDF or plywood cut to size.

I checked the studs and marked them in the image as yellow squares. I can use up to four brackets. The blue is where I would want the shelf and then the red are the tires.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eve...ack/1000676062

I saw these brackets at Home Depot and they're rated for 1,000lbs per pair. Would it be fine to just do brackets in the middle two studs and skip the two side brackets? The studs aren't evenly spaced, but I don't think it'll be that big of a concern.
Someone else already said this, but if you put a board straight on brackets with a heavy weight on the board/shelf, the board itself will eventually bend, reducing contact with the brackets, greatly increasing chance of failure.

You should use all 4 brackets, and cut 3 pieces of 2x4, and screw them into the board in a U shape. Then have the 2x4's sit/screwed on the brackets. You're evenly distributing the load across the 2x4's/brackets. Make sure the screws you use for the brackets into the studs are also properly rated and thick/long enough.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:52 PM   #14281
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I thought Maleficent was pretty good, so was Cruella(Emma Stone might have saved it). I'm sure Lion King was horrible though as I had zero interest in watching it. Pinocchio is in theaters now but I'm not sure I'm curious enough to even watch it on Disney+
I didn't watch Cruella. I enjoyed the Maleficent movies. But aren't those spinoffs and not remakes?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:05 PM   #14282
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Someone else already said this, but if you put a board straight on brackets with a heavy weight on the board/shelf, the board itself will eventually bend, reducing contact with the brackets, greatly increasing chance of failure.

You should use all 4 brackets, and cut 3 pieces of 2x4, and screw them into the board in a U shape. Then have the 2x4's sit/screwed on the brackets. You're evenly distributing the load across the 2x4's/brackets. Make sure the screws you use for the brackets into the studs are also properly rated and thick/long enough.
Would warping still be a concern if the studs are about 13.5" between? With the weight resting on the brackets, wouldn't it be in worst case warping towards the brackets? Old house, so not sure if that's the reason the studs are narrower.

I installed two brackets today and they seemed secure since I pressed down on each one individually with bodyweight. I used 12 x 1 1/2 screws to secure them to the studs.

I took three images. One with just the brackets. And then another two with tires on to have a clearer view on how they would be rested on top of the board.

https://imgur.com/a/dfScXx1

I don't have the board mounted yet as I need to recut it to fit. It's a solid spruce board that is 3/4 inches thick that I picked up from Home Depot.

EDIT: Home Depot told me to use 1 1/2" screws to anchor the brackets. Might switch them to 2 1/2" screws for more support.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 09-12-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #14283
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
I think if you just screwed 2x4's to the studs around the closet in the "U" shape, and then used 3/4" plywood (or even better 2x1/2" pieces) as your shelf on top you could do without the shelf brackets entirely. It would be plenty strong.

Plus you'd get extra clearance underneath without the diagonal cross brace of the bracket.

For screws I'd use 4" #10's at minimum (I'd probably use GRK's for extra piece of mind)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #14284
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
I didn't watch Cruella. I enjoyed the Maleficent movies. But aren't those spinoffs and not remakes?
I thought Emma Stone's performance in Cruella was great (I also REALLY like her).

After thinking about it a little you are right that it's a spinoff. The ones I've been actually interested in watching are all spinoffs or original movies. The remakes are not that enticing.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #14285
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
The brackets do stick out a lot further than I thought so you might be good there, personally I tend to go overkill when supporting loads because you don't want to have a pile of tires coming at you one day lol.

Definitely get longer screws though, after the drywall and bracket you've only got 3/4"-1" into the wood.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #14286

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think Disney is getting to the point where they are flat out trolling.
Looks like I called it

"The Little Mermaid" makes Disney history as most viewed trailer with thousands of dislikes
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #14287
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Quantum Leap reboot is going to star an Asian guy (but then, it's a new character not a reimaging)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3I0SpwjVK8
I loved quantum leap, I hope they have cameos from the original show in it too
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #14288
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,283 Times in 1,971 Posts
Quote:
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:59 PM   #14289
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
This was never about black representation, this was all about hating gingers!

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:59 PM   #14290

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
This is why the little mermaid is black.

Disney is going to make bank off this movie and bank for years at the theme parks because of parents taking there kids to see her in real life plus the dolls and everything else.

Who cares if a bunch of adults are pissed off. I you want to watch a kids movie with a white Ariel go watch the original.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #14291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
This is why the little mermaid is black.
So moms can manipulate their kids into making a viral video that adds fuel to the fire?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2022, 11:11 PM   #14292

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
So moms can manipulate their kids into making a viral video that adds fuel to the fire?
It's still going to make a ton of money. If the mermaid was white do you think it would get this much free press? Disney knows how to make money.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:35 PM   #14293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's still going to make a ton of money. If the mermaid was white do you think it would get this much free press? Disney knows how to make money.
That is literally the point I have been making! It's not to promote social awareness or help society progress. It's to make money, and that's it. The content of the tick tock you posted is irrelevant to them. The fact that it went viral and has people worked up is why Ariel is Black. It's a billion dollar troll job!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 05:59 AM   #14294
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
That is literally the point I have been making! It's not to promote social awareness or help society progress. It's to make money, and that's it. The content of the tick tock you posted is irrelevant to them. The fact that it went viral and has people worked up is why Ariel is Black. It's a billion dollar troll job!
So you mean you are pointing out a multibillion dollar publically traded company is making decisions to make money and not for pure altruism? Shhhhoockkinnngggg... It doesn't mean the societal benefit of representation is not there.

If they wanted to be 'woke' they could've made Ariel an indigenous trans person with fetal HIV, of course they won't because they know there's no market for it.

You think the producers of Crazy Rich Asians truly wanted Asian representation? They took a gamble that the market was ready for it, and they were right.

That said, despite the buzz I don't know if it'll be as marketable as you think it would be. They will probably get the coastal Democrats and the black population (which is not exactly gigantic), and maybe Latino/Hispanic.

They will likely sacrifice white ppl in the flyover states, as well as a lot of the Asian population, which are low key racist. Also likely lose out on China too as a result. They are likely fully aware of this too when making this decision.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 09-14-2022 at 06:04 AM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 06:29 AM   #14295
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
i think most western media companies dont even count on revenue from China anymore
Old 09-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #14296
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i think most western media companies dont even count on revenue from China anymore
Not sure how they evaluate direct-to-stream movies but box office movies definitely count on China and world-wide revenue (of which China is likely the biggest %).

Maybe I am just a realist and not an idealist, but when I hear "representation matters", I do not interpret that at all to be mattering in a sense of societal benefit or impact, or being seen as 'woke'.

I interpret that as representation now matters for businesses to maximize revenue, because people of certain underrepresented groups are now willing to support/not support certain things with their wallets now.

Back in our parents generation, representation did not matter, because our parents did not give a shit if they saw themselves represented on media, they were too busy working and hustling. Representation was the last thing on their mind.

Nowadays people expect more, and are willing to pay or not pay for it. I do not criticize businesses at all if they are reacting to changing consumer demands.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 09-14-2022 at 06:58 AM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #14297
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I don't really like the race swapping thing, but growing up as an Asian kid, I was never really aware of this lack of representation. Sort of like what that video was displaying with kids being happy because of said character is the same race. That would have flown over my head. Is this something that's being taught now?

And also, am I the only one that already knew ahead of time that Disney casted a Black actress for this role? Why does it seem like so many people had no clue until they revealed it in the trailer?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #14298
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
i didnt know till i saw the trailer.

speaking of race things, i only remember this from high school and then everyone had an AZN tag on asian avenue. Now that i think about it, it makes no fucking sense at all... us asians all hate each other, we aren't a monolithic culture.

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 07:27 PM   #14299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Not sure how they evaluate direct-to-stream movies but box office movies definitely count on China and world-wide revenue (of which China is likely the biggest %).
Big Hollywood movies are essentially banned in China right now; there's practically no box office revenue from there anymore. Some movies get through by only showing China in an ultra positive (not even neutral) way, like Minions 2 recently. They let through just enough movies to make sure their overall revenue is higher than in the US. It's still like 80-90% domestic movies now, compared to 60% before covid.

It has had a positive effect on most of the movies themselves. Top Gun is probably the best recent example of this. Expect Disney movies to cater less to this market, and Universal to cater more.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 08:03 PM   #14300
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If this little mermaid thing has had any major impact, it's certainly that it's exposed how fucking racist people truly are, holy shit.
The comments being left by the "I'm not racist buuuuuuttt" crowd is fucking despicable. These people should be sterilized.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote