REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2024, 06:52 AM   #21201
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,274 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
^Richmond Acura has a 2022 45e for $70k - it's got base-spec looks which I've grown to like. I think it's a decent deal.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/x5/r...201K9&sprx=100
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh
That sold yesterday when I was there trying to make a deal. The other guy saw there was competition and he decided to just take it while we were hammering out our trade in price for the X3

I don't mind the looks as I don't really care whether it's got the M sport appearance package, but it's only got the essential package and I really don't like Alpine White. I was going to suffer through it anyways but the competition is fierce lol
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 07:19 AM   #21202
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,833 Times in 5,622 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Man the lower mainland is something else, people crying about the cost of everything and saying they're all broke and can't afford housing or rent... but practically fighting each other to drop $70k on a used SUV lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 07:35 AM   #21203

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Man the lower mainland is something else, people crying about the cost of everything and saying they're all broke and can't afford housing or rent... but practically fighting each other to drop $70k on a used SUV lol
The crazy thing is, the other guy was financing most of it on 9%. We were working on our trade and the sales actually assured me chances the other guy will walk because he came in with a Tesla and they are refusing Tesla trades. He wanted the car anyway so
Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 AM   #21204
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,560 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
why would they refuse tesla trades? they retain resale value do they not? or is it b/c the market is saturated with them?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:59 AM   #21205

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
why would they refuse tesla trades? they retain resale value do they not? or is it b/c the market is saturated with them?
Tesla used prices have been tanking for the last 18 months, there were too many speculators during covid who tried to make a buck and there's an over supply of them. A lot of the listed ones won't sell at the price they are listed. When was the last you time you heard some one say they were looking for a used Tesla? I think on here, only Hehe bought a used Model X, but the glut is with Model 3 and Model Y.

The other problem is Tesla new pricing has been consistently dropping, everytime Tesla cuts it's prices the used cars take a dump understandably. The dealers would be stuck with bagholding the car if they take it in and it doesn't sell quickly, which in the current market, it doesn't sell quickly.

While I thought they would just lowball the trade, straight up refusing it was slightly surprising. I talked to a few friends and they concurred that they are either a) not taking them in, you are on your own, or b) taking a 5 figure hit compared to list.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:11 AM   #21206
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,560 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
sounds like time to keep an eye on used teslas

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:31 AM   #21207
Performance Moderator

I think dark said even Hyundai doesn't take trades on Tesla??... lolol you know your brand is devalued when..................
Old 05-15-2024, 08:59 AM   #21208
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,214 Posts
Failed 613 Times in 192 Posts
Quote:
I think dark said even Hyundai doesn't take trades on Tesla??... lolol you know your brand is devalued when..................
I think the problem is that Tesla adjusts prices on the fly and there's too little prediction on how to value it as trade in. Say a new Y is 60k today, and a used one is 40k. Then the next morning new Y drops 3k, and where does the used one ends at?

Not to mention that the second hand market kinda relies on the lack of information to function, whereas Tesla pricing is available to everyone and it even makes news whenever it's dropping.

All used cars devalue like shit unless you are in some exclusive limited edition cars. It's just Tesla's prices are known and can easily be found. Others, unless you have an active access to dealers' bidding network, it's hard to know the pricing.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:02 AM   #21209
Performance Moderator

That's a really long way of saying a brand is devalued.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:26 AM   #21210
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Not to mention that the second hand market kinda relies on the lack of information to function, whereas Tesla pricing is available to everyone and it even makes news whenever it's dropping.

All used cars devalue like shit unless you are in some exclusive limited edition cars. It's just Tesla's prices are known and can easily be found. Others, unless you have an active access to dealers' bidding network, it's hard to know the pricing.
Customers have AutoTrader and FB Marketplace to gauge the asking prices for their vehicles - it's not like there aren't enough Camrys, F150s, and RAV4s on the market to gauge what the asking price should be on their own car.

Dealerships have additional tools that share retail and wholesale transactional prices along with market days supply for most mainstream models. This helps them determine what to safely offer a customer without getting burned.

I find dealerships usually have a harder time with limited edition / niche cars because there's not enough transactional data from their tools, so they end up lowballing just to be safe unless the used car manager knows what they're looking at.

I interpret dealerships refusing a Tesla trade as a sign that the pricing on them is volatile, the market days supply is unhealthy, and the opportunity cost is too high.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:34 AM   #21211
Performance Moderator

Well add in the fact too that it's not uncommon for dealers to lowball trades... but to completely blackball an entire model or brand is something else entirely. There's a big difference between saying "Okay we don't really want this, they're hard to sell, but if you'll take X amount we will make it happen" and "Forget it we don't want it, sell it yourself"
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:45 AM   #21212

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
That sold yesterday when I was there trying to make a deal. The other guy saw there was competition and he decided to just take it while we were hammering out our trade in price for the X3

I don't mind the looks as I don't really care whether it's got the M sport appearance package, but it's only got the essential package and I really don't like Alpine White. I was going to suffer through it anyways but the competition is fierce lol
I've been keeping tabs on these and anything reasonably-priced goes quick. A few weeks ago BJ had a loaded Davit Grey 45e with 45k odo for ~$65K? That car only lasted a few days if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Well add in the fact too that it's not uncommon for dealers to lowball trades... but to completely blackball an entire model or brand is something else entirely. There's a big difference between saying "Okay we don't really want this, they're hard to sell, but if you'll take X amount we will make it happen" and "Forget it we don't want it, sell it yourself"
It's certainly unusual but there must be some sort of poor track record for the dealer to straight up refuse them. Maybe someone closer to the industry can share a bit more information.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:53 AM   #21213
Performance Moderator

Yah I also suspect that, probably too many issues with how they're set up and passing on the ownership from a software perspective to the new owner I imagine is something most conventional dealers don't have much appetite for.

Just want to sell cars that don't ask questions lol
Old 05-15-2024, 10:03 AM   #21214
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Are X5 Plug in hybrids decent in terms of reliability? I remember when they rolled out the activehybrid ones and they were big POS.
noclue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #21215
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,123 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Are X5 Plug in hybrids decent in terms of reliability? I remember when they rolled out the activehybrid ones and they were big POS.
Same question but for the X3 PHEV. Their pricing is surprisingly competitive. I'm not quite ready to buy so might wait till the next gen X3 PHEV comes out but it might be an option when they start clearing the current ones out.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:22 AM   #21216

$400 to clean a BBQ is nuts.

I usually just focus on cleaning the grill rack part as it's actually where it matters. The rest is just vacuum and wipes.

I have an acquaintance who runs a service to restaurants to clean their pots, trays, grills... etc with a special machine to get rid of all the buildups and I usually just drop my grill racks off to him and for the price of a six-pack, they come back shiny the next day. It's incredible what his machine can do. I used to scrub the shit out for hours and my racks wouldn't come anywhere near what his machine can do.

If anyone is interested in cleaning theirs, drop me a PM. I can hook you up.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #21217

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I haven't dug enough into the 45e, but some 50e owners are getting CEL on their 50e shortly after delivery on Bimmerpost:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025929
Old 05-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #21218

Quote:
I've been keeping tabs on these and anything reasonably-priced goes quick. A few weeks ago BJ had a loaded Davit Grey 45e with 45k odo for ~$65K? That car only lasted a few days if I remember correctly.
I went to look at that, but I wasn't ready to buy yet as we hadn't done our math to see how much we can afford. I'm still beating myself over it as that car was loaded, correct spec, correct colour, correct year. The only thing I didn't like was black leather but that was minor.

We did our maths after that episode and we are waiting for the next unicorn to come up.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #21219

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Same question but for the X3 PHEV. Their pricing is surprisingly competitive. I'm not quite ready to buy so might wait till the next gen X3 PHEV comes out but it might be an option when they start clearing the current ones out.
Quote:
I haven't dug enough into the 45e, but some 50e owners are getting CEL on their 50e shortly after delivery on Bimmerpost:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025929
From the research I've done, the battery pack on the 45e has relatively little issues. The battery pack is actually 12 smaller individual packs and they can be changed out individually. It's not a 5 figure sum if one cell went bad.

It does seem like the BMW system has no alternator and the conventional battery is charged through the motor or a DC converter from the 400V hybrid pack.

The 50e has a new electrical portion of the system with a bigger battery and motor. Some ppl have dynoed it at around 500hp. Thing is kind of insane, but if it's having problems maybe it's not that great

@supafamous Was it you that had a X3e in Australia? or did you have the iX3? The X3e loses a pretty significant amount of trunk space. I already think the gas X3 is a bit small with 2 kids.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:06 AM   #21220

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
@supafamous Was it you that had a X3e in Australia? or did you have the iX3? The X3e loses a pretty significant amount of trunk space. I already think the gas X3 is a bit small with 2 kids.
Yeah, I had the iX3 when I was in Australia - really loved it though my wife thought the bucket seats were a bit constrictive. We're a one kid family so the X3 is mostly big enough (we still want the grandparents to also fit in the back but they're all smallish). The X3 PHEV loses some trunk room but I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker for us or not and the short EV range isn't really an issue either as most of our trips are under 15km.

That said, I'd gladly consider a longer range PHEV if it costs about the same and there's no trunk space penalty and the new X3 looks like it could be a winner.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:13 PM   #21221

Thanked 4,760 Times in 824 Posts
Failed 883 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
$400 to clean a BBQ is nuts.

I usually just focus on cleaning the grill rack part as it's actually where it matters. The rest is just vacuum and wipes.

I have an acquaintance who runs a service to restaurants to clean their pots, trays, grills... etc with a special machine to get rid of all the buildups and I usually just drop my grill racks off to him and for the price of a six-pack, they come back shiny the next day. It's incredible what his machine can do. I used to scrub the shit out for hours and my racks wouldn't come anywhere near what his machine can do.

If anyone is interested in cleaning theirs, drop me a PM. I can hook you up.
I just buy new racks. a pair for my Weber Q series from Amazon, $75.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:40 PM   #21222

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
I just buy new racks. a pair for my Weber Q series from Amazon, $75.
Do you replace it every year? That's balling.

Mine is out of question... I think it was something like 180+tax to replace it. So, I think $20-40 per year (I usually do at the end of the season and once mid summer if we are doing a lot of BBQ) is pretty decent for the saving of all the elbow grease.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:08 AM   #21223
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,558 Times in 2,526 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Cleaning the racks is the easiest part, just crank the grill on high and burn everything off then just scrape and brush it.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2024, 06:14 AM   #21224

Speaking of grates, I highly recommend Grill Grates (https://www.grillgrate.com) if you're replacing yours. Johnstone's in North Van carries them in store. Works exactly as described.

Review: https://www.seriouseats.com/grillgra...for-gas-grills
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #21225
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,803 Times in 930 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
All this BBQ talk what do you guys use/recommend for a cleaning brush. I've always used the ones with the metal bristles but might finally make the switch over to another type but don't know how good they are.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote