REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #6001
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
fuck off. im miserable with these allergies..
more sunshine + warmer temps = worth it
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #6002
RS controls my life!

RIP Aryton Senna. Would have been his bday today.
Posted via RS Mobile
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #6003
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Ultimate Caesar Garnish in Vancouver

Don’t look now, but it looks like the Score on Davie has just won the Caesar garnish game. Called the “Checkmate Caesar,” it’s garnished with a full roast chicken, Score burger, slider, chicken wings, pulled pork mac and cheese hot dog, roasted vegetables (in case you’re worried about your figure) and a brownie for dessert.

However, at $60.00 it does not come cheap and is recommended to be consumed between a group of people. According to a Score spokesperson, it takes 20 minutes to prepare the drink and food.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #6004

Competition Bureau sets stiff limits in Loblaw?s deal for Shoppers - The Globe and Mail

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #6005
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
more sunshine + warmer temps = worth it
It's snowing here in Squamish this morning.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #6006
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
10 famous geniuses and their drugs of choice - Salon.com

1. Sigmund Freud — Cocaine

To Freud, cocaine was more than a personal indulgence; he regarded it as a veritable wonder drug, and for many years was a huge proponent of its use in a wide array of applications. In a letter written to his fianceé, Martha, Freud wrote: “If all goes well, I will write an essay [on cocaine] and I expect it will win its place in therapeutics by the side of morphine and superior to it … I take very small doses of it regularly against depression and against indigestion and with the most brilliant of success.”

Freud published such a review, titled “Uber Coca” in 1884. Interestingly, Freud’s paper was one of the first to propose drug substitution as a therapeutic treatment for addiction. While replacing morphine with cocaine is something we now know to be counterproductive to recovery, the concept of substitution therapies persists to this day. (For a great overview of Freud’s relationship with cocaine, check out this post by Scicurious.)

2. Francis Crick — LSD

Francis Crick — of the DNA-structure discovering Watson, Crick and Franklin — reportedly told numerous friends and colleagues about his LSD experimentation during the time he spent working to determine the molecular structure that houses all life’s information.

In fact, in a 2004 interview, Gerrod Harker recalls talking with Dick Kemp — a close friend of Crick’s — about LSD use among Cambridge academics, and tells the Daily Mail that the University’s researchers often used LSD in small amounts as “a thinking tool.” Evidently, Crick at one point told Kemp that he had actually “perceived the double-helix shape while on LSD.”

3. Thomas Edison — Cocaine Elixirs

In 1863, French chemist Angelo Mariani invented “Vin Mariani,” a Bordeaux wine treated with coca leaves, the active ingredient of which is none other than cocaine. The ethanol content in the Bordeaux could extract cocaine from the coca leaves in concentrations exceeding 7 mg per fluid ounce of wine. Thomas Edison — the prolific American inventor and notorious insomniac (though perhaps not surprisingly) — was one of many people of the period known to regularly consume the cocaine-laced elixir.

4. Paul Erdös — Amphetamines

Paul Erdös — well known for his hyperactivity; his habit of working 19-hour days, even well into his old age; and his tendency to show up on his colleagues’ doorsteps demanding they ”open their minds” to mathematical dialogue — was one of the most prolific mathematicians who ever lived, publishing more peer-reviewed papers than any other mathematician in history.

His secret? According to him, amphetamines. Included here is an excerpt from a book published in 1998 by Erdös’ de facto biographer, science writer Paul Hoffman, which explains Erdös’ proclivity for amphetamine use:

Like all of Erdös’s friends, [fellow mathematician Ronald Graham] was concerned about his drug-taking. In 1979, Graham bet Erdös $500 that he couldn’t stop taking amphetamines for a month. Erdös accepted the challenge, and went cold turkey for thirty days. After Graham paid up — and wrote the $500 off as a business expense — Erdös said, “You’ve showed me I’m not an addict. But I didn’t get any work done. I’d get up in the morning and stare at a blank piece of paper. I’d have no ideas, just like an ordinary person. You’ve set mathematics back a month.” He promptly resumed taking pills, and mathematics was the better for it.

5. Steve Jobs — LSD

LSD was a big deal for Steve Jobs. How big? Evidently, Jobs believed that experimenting with LSD in the 1960s was “one of the two or three most important things he had done in his life.” What’s more, he felt that there were parts of him that the people he knew and worked with could not understand, simply because they hadn’t had a go at psychedelics. This latter sentiment also comes through in his recently published biography, wherein Jobs goes so far as to associate what he interpreted as Bill Gates’ dearth of imagination with a lack of psychedelic experimentation:

“Bill is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he’s more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people’s ideas.”

“He’d be a broader guy,” Jobs says about Gates, “if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger.”

6. Bill Gates — LSD

Which is funny, because Bill Gates totally did experiment with LSD, though an excerpt from a 1994 interview with Playboy reveals he was much less open about it than Jobs:

PLAYBOY: Ever take LSD?
GATES: My errant youth ended a long time ago.
PLAYBOY: What does that mean?
GATES: That means there were things I did under the age of 25 that I ended up not doing subsequently.
PLAYBOY: One LSD story involved you staring at a table and thinking the corner was going to plunge into your eye.
GATES: [Smiles]
PLAYBOY: Ah, a glimmer of recognition.
GATES: That was on the other side of that boundary. The young mind can deal with certain kinds of gooping around that I don’t think at this age I could. I don’t think you’re as capable of handling lack of sleep or whatever challenges you throw at your body as you get older. However, I never missed a day of work.

7. John C. Lilly — LSD, Ketamine

Neurocientist John C. Lilly was a pioneer in the field of electronic brain stimulation. He was the first person to map pain and pleasure pathways in the brain; founded an entire branch of science exploring interspecies communication between humans, dolphins and whales; invented the world’s first sensory deprivation changer; and conducted extensive personal experimentation with mind-altering drugs like LSD and ketamine.

It bears mentioning that Lilly’s experiments with interspecies communication, personal psychedelic use and sensory deprivation often overlapped.

8. Richard Feynman — LSD, Marijuana, Ketamine

Feynman was always careful about drug use, for fear of what it might do to his brain — giving up alcohol, for example, when he began to exhibit symptoms of addiction. In “Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!,” he writes, ”You see, I get such fun out of thinking that I don’t want to destroy this most pleasant machine that makes life such a big kick. It’s the same reason that, later on, I was reluctant to try experiments with LSD in spite of my curiosity about hallucinations.”

Nevertheless, Feynman’s curiosity got the best of him when he became acquainted with none other than John C. Lilly and his sensory deprivation tanks. Feynman experimented briefly with LSD, ketamine and marijuana, which he used to bring on isolation-induced hallucinations more quickly than he could when sober.

9. Kary Mullis — LSD

Who, you may be asking, is Kary Mullis? Let’s put it this way: If you’ve worked in a biomedical research lab since the 1980s, there is an exceedingly good chance you’ve performed a polymerase chain reaction (aka PCR, the lab technique that can turn a single segment of DNA into millions of identical copies), or are at least familiar with it. You have Mullis to thank for that. While Mullis didn’t invent the PCR technique, per se, he improved upon it so significantly as to revolutionize the field of biomedical research, securing himself a Nobel Prize in chemistry in the process.

The secret to Mullis’ breakthrough? In a September 1994 issue of California Monthly, Mullis says that he “took plenty of LSD” In the ’60s and ’70s, going so far as to call his “mind-opening” experimentation with psychedelics “much more important than any courses [he] ever took.” A few years later, in an interview for BBC’s Psychedelic Science documentary, Mullis mused aloud: “What if I had not taken LSD ever; would I have still invented PCR?” To which he replied, “I don’t know. I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.”

10. Carl Sagan — Marijuana

Preeminent astrophysicist and cosmologist Carl Sagan not only smoked marijuana regularly, he was also a strong advocate for its use in enhancing intellectual pursuits — though not as publicly as others on this list. Having said that, Sagan did contribute an essay to the 1971 book titled “Marijuana Reconsidered” that spoke to the virtues of marijuana use. The piece was penned under the assumed name “Mr. X.” The identity of its true author was only revealed after Sagan’s death.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #6007
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Indecisive about new wheels.

or

On this:

KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #6008
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
i like the first one

Last edited by freakshow; 03-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #6009
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
First one for me as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #6010
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Ordered the first one! ebay seller for the second one wouldn't take my best offer anyway.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #6011
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

wandering if it is possible to get a VI for a vehicle that has temporary insurance. I heard if you have temporary insurance the police officer cannot give you a VI. Is this true?
blackjack101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #6012

^NO

RSUV #7
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #6013
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
James Rebhorn 65 passed away from skin cancer

RIP

Quote:
Homeland actor James Rebhorn dies at 65
James Rebhorn
Rebhorn's extensive filmography included The Talented Mr Ripley and Independence Day
US actor James Rebhorn, known for roles in TV series Homeland and film Scent of a Woman, has died at the age of 65.

Rebhorn, who had skin cancer, died at his home in South Orange, New Jersey, his agent Dianne Busch said.

His career spanned five decades and saw him appear in TV shows including The Good Wife and 30 Rock, and films such as My Cousin Vinny, Carlito's Way and Basic Instinct.

Diagnosed with melanoma in 1992, he continued working until last month.

His agent told The Hollywood Reporter: "He fought it all this time.

"He died Friday afternoon at his home in New Jersey, where he had been receiving hospice care for a week and a half."

He had more than 100 screen credits, one of the most recent being for Homeland, in which he played Frank Mathison, the father of Claire Danes' CIA officer Carrie Mathison.
BBC News - Homeland actor James Rebhorn dies at 65
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #6014
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

No as in not true you can still get a VI with temp insurance?

Sorry for not making my question clear
blackjack101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #6015

If it's being driven on a public road, regardless of temp or long term insurance, it's subject to a VI.

RSUV #7
Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #6016
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Toyota returning to WRC
MaaaadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #6017
I don't get it

does anybody know the name or phone number of the karaoke place on kingsway on top of Dai Tung? has anyone been there? looking to head there this weekend
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #6018
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What the puck?

Quote:
This terrifying doll, which can move her hips, legs, head, arms and fingers in the creepiest human-like fashion, is an art installation by Jordan Wolfson. It's on display from March 6 to April 19 at the David Zwirner Art Gallery in New York City.

The scariest part? Her eyes are equipped with motion-sensor technology so she can literally follow your gaze with her own soul-crushing stare.

She might not be so terrifying if she wasn’t wearing that hideous green witch mask, but as she waves her creepy hands in front of her face while dancing in the mirror, you pretty much know what your next nightmare is going to be about.

In the video, people watch her dance as she is connected to the mirror by a metal pole. She moves her entire body in slow sultry movements, making it impossible to look away.

Her eyes, though. It’s hard to believe she isn’t real. As the music picks up, so does she, and when it slows down, she stops…and stares.

Then, she suddenly spouts words from some strange monologue, sending chills down your spine as she follows you with her eyes.

In order to create this curvaceous animatronic sculpture, Wolfson worked in close collaboration with a special effects studio in California. The studio has also been used by some major Hollywood productions.

So why the need to showcase this seriously weird piece?

Wolfson says didn’t intend for the piece to be specifically about women. Instead, he wanted to explore "the gaze,"a concept usually linked to the notion of gender power imbalance in media.

It’s interesting to see that he has taken a scantily clad woman, turned her into a dancing sensation, and created the scariest freaking thing I have ever seen.

Normally, when you think of terrifying, the thought of a sexy woman swinging her hips doesn’t come to mind.

Perhaps Wolfson also wanted to get people to open their minds to the idea that fear comes in all forms.

After all, Wolfson is known for his thought-provoking pieces, which usually include a series of invented animated characters. It’s hard to believe any are as horrifying as this, though.

Want the latest buzz before it goes viral?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #6019
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
LOL

Is North Korea forcing all university-aged men to get a ?Dear Leader Kim Jong-un? haircut? | National Post
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #6020
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
What the puck?
i give it two weeks before it ends up in japan as a sex toy
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #6021
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
What's a nice way of informing my neighbour that I want to trim her trees/bushes that have grown on to my side of the property? I'm not really asking for permission...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #6022
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
If the growth extends onto your property then you don't need permisison.

eg: my co-worker's neighbor trimmed a tree that was hanging onto his property. My co-worker was pissed when he got home and saw it. He confronted the neighbor who replied with a fuck off type answer. He then contacted the City of Richmond and they told him what I mentioned above. My co-worker felt pretty powerless afterwards and was shocked at the City's response. The tree is now half dead due to the extensive trimming.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #6023
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
If the growth extends onto your property then you don't need permisison.

eg: my co-worker's neighbor trimmed a tree that was hanging onto his property. My co-worker was pissed when he got home and saw it. He confronted the neighbor who replied with a fuck off type answer. He then contacted the City of Richmond and they told him what I mentioned above. My co-worker felt pretty powerless afterwards and was shocked at the City's response. The tree is now half dead due to the extensive trimming.
Yes, I'm not asking for permission, but I thought it would be nice to give them a heads up... Diplomacy is not one of my strengths.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #6024
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I would check with the City of Vancouver first to be 100% sure you are in the right. Each municipality has their own rules and regulations around these type of matters. If, for some reason, you are in the wrong you might get a fine or something from the City.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #6025
Need to Seek Professional Help

Anyone know if the CAN-AM gas station in Point Roberts is closed down?
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote