REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #17901
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I look forward to the day when some white teenager is working at the Crystal Mall food court cranking out classic Hong Kong cafe dishes likes baked pork on rice or Hong Kong French toast.
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #17902
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,514 Posts
There have been lots of times when I went to an izakaya in DT, and there was a Caucasian person working as server. But then they are fluent in Japanese.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:23 PM   #17903
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
We have a trip just outside Osoyoos from Sep 4-7.

There is a non-essential travel ban from now until Sep 4 (until end of day).

Is it selfish of us to still leave on Sep 4?

The other family we're going with doesn't think it's a big deal, but my conscience isn't as clear... What do you guys think?

Also, I don't even know if it's safe to go. I don't want to be caught between any wild fires and there is a wild fire just West of Osoyoos.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:28 PM   #17904
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
I think with the smoke, displaced people, and possibility of being stuck on a highway closed by wildfires, I would not go.

But that's just me.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #17905
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I also noticed a few east Indian employees at the new T&T in Coquitlam next to IKEA. It was a surprised at first but I guess if they can fluently speak English that's fine. Probably to communicate with non Chinese speaking customers if that arises.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #17906
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,910 Posts
East Indians in HK can speak fluent Canto!
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 09:45 PM   #17907
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I think with the smoke, displaced people, and possibility of being stuck on a highway closed by wildfires, I would not go.

But that's just me.

I wouldn't put my family at risk by going on the trip. It seems insensitive to go when there are folks fighting to keep their homes from burning into the ground.

You can always go to the Interior after the wildfires are over.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 04:51 AM   #17908
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Even if you decided it's ok to go, it's not going to be an enjoyable time unless things are drastically different. I'd say just keep an eye on the situation expecting not to go and if it's a totally different circumstance come time (lots can change in 2 weeks) you can go with a pretty clear conscience.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 07:12 AM   #17909
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
I agree with westopher. Keep on eye on the fire situation in the Okanagan area to see if things change. It may not be a pleasant experience even being in Osoyoos with the bad air quality and all sorts of things happening around you.

I know of some extended family members who had to cancel their trip to Kelowna this month. One uncle is pissed that his son, my cousin, cannot get his AirBnB reservation fee back because he did not cancel his stay before the start date of being inside a host's home. The host is not replying to that cousin's messages, because, hey, guess what that host might have already left their home because of the risk of loss of life from the wildfires.

That uncle is now fretting about money being lost and not being able to take his grandson, a nephew to that cousin, to Kelowna. Uncle, his son, and nephew, and other family members were supposed to go to Kelowna to buy wine and do some wine tasting. Not anymore.

I was thinking "really?" Complaining about someone losing money from AirBnB compared to the risk of endangering the lives of three generations of a family from really wanting to visit Kelowna. One of his family members that was supposed to go on the trip to Kelowna has asthma too. #Priorities
Old 08-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #17910

^ yah this. C'mon people ... what is a few hundred dollars to you and vacation inconvenience is someone else's life turned upside down. This is how we, as British Columbians who don't live in the area, can help and support in some small way. Just eat the rez fee.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #17911
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Depending on the age of your kids and the stages in which the cleanup is, that could be the opportunity for a major life lesson. Go enjoy yourselves on a vacation with a little bit of volunteer work sprinkled in if possible.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:46 AM   #17912
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
You really don't want to be in Kelowna atm, the air is disgusting. I was outside for maybe 10 minutes and my clothes smelled like I'd been camping for 3 days. They've been able to ease some of the evac orders down to alerts but overall things are still considered out of control.

At the same time fuck AirBnB, they're refusing to accept that there's a travel ban here and the hosts are just using it as an excuse to screw people out of their money and ignore them. I'd fight with AirBnB or just do a chargeback through your credit card.

You can use this to look up the address and see if its under an evac order if you're really worried about the host though: https://www.cordemergency.ca/map#msd...komfQmTEdyrOzc
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:36 AM   #17913
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

It looks like Osoyoos is mostly on Alerts now, changed from evacuation, but I think you guys are right, it's not worth it to be there. And the smoke dischrage will not be pleasant and dangerous for the kiddos.

I'm just going to tell the group we don't feel comfortable going. I'll suggest going to the island or the sunshine coast or something.

Does anyone know of a place other than Tofino that has sandy beaches? The kids really like the beach, but they only like sandy beaches.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:11 AM   #17914
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Thanks for the input everyone.

It looks like Osoyoos is mostly on Alerts now, changed from evacuation, but I think you guys are right, it's not worth it to be there. And the smoke dischrage will not be pleasant and dangerous for the kiddos.

I'm just going to tell the group we don't feel comfortable going. I'll suggest going to the island or the sunshine coast or something.

Does anyone know of a place other than Tofino that has sandy beaches? The kids really like the beach, but they only like sandy beaches.

Information about sandy beaches on the island:

https://vancouverislandview.com/best-sandy-beaches/

Yambury Beach sounds like a nice sandy beach. Qualicum Beach area.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:16 AM   #17915
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,350 Times in 5,653 Posts
We were suppose to go to sun peaks this passed weekend friend has a house there but didn’t because of the fires, ended up going to whistler and renting an Airbnb instead

Lol if you wonder how places in Vancouver are still so busy try whistler. Every patio full, $12-$15 for a beer, $18 glasses of wine. Every single good item is $25-$35 for somthing like a burger. There were 7 adults and 2 young kids and over 2 nights 3 days we spent like $1600 just going to eat and drink at simple patios like Amsterdam cafe, garibaldi lift co. Etc. It’s fucking insane

Not to mention I counted 15 cranes up in the hillside all working on brand new custom homes. Went golfing at the whistler G&CC and there are 6-7 brand new homes under construction on the course
Old 08-21-2023, 10:00 AM   #17916
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

The whole Qualicum area is fantastic for kids. Great beaches, tonne of kids activities and weather is very pleasant. Hard to find a good place to stay on short notice though.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 10:16 AM   #17917
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
We were suppose to go to sun peaks this passed weekend friend has a house there but didn’t because of the fires, ended up going to whistler and renting an Airbnb instead

Lol if you wonder how places in Vancouver are still so busy try whistler. Every patio full, $12-$15 for a beer, $18 glasses of wine. Every single good item is $25-$35 for somthing like a burger. There were 7 adults and 2 young kids and over 2 nights 3 days we spent like $1600 just going to eat and drink at simple patios like Amsterdam cafe, garibaldi lift co. Etc. It’s fucking insane
at those whistler prices

better off buying a case and cracking them on the balcony of your hotel
i think i'll be doing that

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

Last edited by GLOW; 08-21-2023 at 11:44 AM.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #17918

Yah, Parksville, Qualicomm are popular places for beaches (note we did not say Nanaimo ). Mile long beaches in Parksville when it is low tide ... can go clamming if no red tide. If I were you, I wouldn't venture to the other side of the island, Tofino, Long Beach, Ucluelet, etc. The one and only hwy there has been affected by wildfire and they've shut it down earlier in the summer so you'd be stuck on the West side.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #17919

Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
East Indians in HK can speak fluent Canto!
Yeah call them a fork like you do in Vancouver and then get your ass kicked.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:06 AM   #17920

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

Clicked on the Juan de Fuca beaches and the first one listed is China Beach ... @Badhobz ... have you ever be to Chinaman Beach?
Old 08-21-2023, 11:25 AM   #17921

Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,136 Posts
No, but it sounds lovely. I can see it now… acres and acres of squatting mainland bitches on pristine white powder sands.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:43 AM   #17922
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
No, but it sounds lovely. I can see it now… acres and acres of squatting mainland bitches on pristine white powder sands.
for some reason when you said squatting i'm thinking squatting and taking a dump

i usually go to the qualicom beach side, don't think i've ever stopped by the yambury side, but i assume it's all the same

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:14 PM   #17923
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
We have a trip just outside Osoyoos from Sep 4-7.

There is a non-essential travel ban from now until Sep 4 (until end of day).

Is it selfish of us to still leave on Sep 4?

The other family we're going with doesn't think it's a big deal, but my conscience isn't as clear... What do you guys think?

Also, I don't even know if it's safe to go. I don't want to be caught between any wild fires and there is a wild fire just West of Osoyoos.
I just got back from Nelson yesterday. Left on Friday (before the travel restrictions), back yesterday. Friday the crater creek fire just started and we witnessed it beginning, but the wind was blowing south.

AQ got significantly worse on Saturday. We went from Belfour to Crawford Bay. It was not good. Sunday for our driveback, we went through Keremeos/Osoyoos and it is NOT a good look. The sky was thick with smoke, orange and dark. It does not give you a good feeling. If there are still active fires, I would not recommend it. It would probably be pretty terrifying for your kids tbh.

Tho if you are kidless/wifeless, I would reccommend going to Nelson.. those British women... #NBN. Or Revelstoke..
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #17924
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Rolls Royce Just released a new car that's going to cost 30 million. The car market is fucked.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/21/rolls-...30m-price-tag/
Old 08-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #17925
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Yah, Parksville, Qualicomm are popular places for beaches (note we did not say Nanaimo ). Mile long beaches in Parksville when it is low tide ... can go clamming if no red tide. If I were you, I wouldn't venture to the other side of the island, Tofino, Long Beach, Ucluelet, etc. The one and only hwy there has been affected by wildfire and they've shut it down earlier in the summer so you'd be stuck on the West side.
Rathtrevor is the one I used to like going to as a kid. Would do cub scout camping there too, and that was really fun.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote