REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #17826
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
I'm trying to learn to do that, the whole racist dialogue thing is just so new that it's caught me off guard. And I think I've identified the source... but there's not much I can do about it because it's her best friend.

That said, I think the best friend has gone that way because of exactly what whitev70r said... her husband passed away and she's extremely aware of her own mortality now/doesn't know what to do without him and she's turned totally dark and taking my mom with her on that journey.

My mom also refuses to believe that she can't hear properly anymore, even though I can easily walk into the house and up the stairs and completely surprise her that I'm even there lol. Super in denial about so much stuff........
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 12:04 PM   #17827
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts

My mom has started learning how to use Facebook and YouTube in the past couple of years.

It's fucking scary when she comes up to me with scam texts on her phone or app notifications offering free things.

It's frustrating when she watches YouTube videos from WeChat University and starts spewing random broscience.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 01:30 PM   #17828
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,713 Times in 3,134 Posts
That’s why we need more old fucks like mg1. That generation who were born in the 50s and 60s are ill adapted for social media and the digital age. It’s too easy to scare and fool them.

My dad is on TikTok trying to get likes for his art work and pictures of my dog. He thinks he has legion of fans just cuz he has 2000 followers. I’m like dad, those are 2000 bots or retards who have no life.

Best thing was he posted a picture of my ratrolla and everyone called him a douche. So he went around replying to all the comments telling them to fuck off.

Oh and he also added everyone suggested to him on Facebook so now he has like 4000 Arab friends all named Mohammad. Pretty sure my dads gonna be on a terrorist watch list shortly.

Last edited by Badhobz; 08-16-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 02:23 PM   #17829
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
At the same time no one is forcing anyone to watch that content.

Would you rather have Justin hand picking what’s fed to people? Lol it’s bad enough with the CBC etc.

There’s no middle ground really, you search every news outlet and it’s got some weird bias/dubious ownership. Imo most of this “news” wouldn’t have any impact on you if you never saw it to begin with. I think the issue are the algorithms that spoon feed you the stuff reinforcing your views based on the “news” being directed to you
Lol gotta shoehorn Trudeau into every conversation now?

I don't forsee our generation having a much better go at things once AI picks up the pace in 10, 20 years.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 02:28 PM   #17830
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
It is also extremely disappointing how such a large number of people have no ability to discern between real facts and dubious claims. Granted, mainstream media is far from perfect, and would of course have their political leanings as well. Still, wouldn't your BS alarm go off when stuff has repeatedly been proven to be false / fake?

It is exactly like the meme that says:

Parents then: Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Parents now: But I saw it in my Fackbook group!

Thanks to the idiotic Bill C-18, all that's left now on FB for Canadians is everything EXCEPT mainstream media.

In an effort to "save journalism" the Canadian Gov't is basically destroying it and lot of jobs in the process.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:31 PM   #17831
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Needed a haircut. I cut my own hair, but can't get a few spots, like the neck. Anyway, I used to go to this place in New West. Today, I decided to get a cheap chinaman haircut. Went to Lucky Hair Cut in chinatown (in a small mall across from the old Kent's Kitchen on Keefer). $13.00. A few C-Lai's were getting their hair done. Noisy as fuck, but whatever............ there was this old guy. By old, I mean maybe 70+ I asked for a #1. I have never had such a wAnderful haircut in my life. Doesn't mater where I go, they never get the hairs on my neck. This guy puts lather on my hairline and neck. He then starts to strop a straight edge razor. Kind of thought, "How steady is his hand?" He did a great job. Never felt so good. I gave him $16.00. He was very thankful.

Apparently there's a place on Main Street called, CP Barbers or something like that - haircut for $8.50. Like wtf?

I was at Neptoon Records today, and the barber shop next door wanted $35.00. Seniors pricing.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:41 PM   #17832
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Has anyone here had to deal with aging parents who start to get really weird views on stuff? Like, they've been normal politically speaking or religiously most of their life but then suddenly it's like they start latching onto FB groups or talking incessantly to small groups of people who have... less than ideal views of the world?

My mom is up there in age now and in the last 6 months I basically can't go over to their house anymore without getting in a big argument with her because she just goes on and on about trans people and pronouns and that she's glad Gal Gadot isn't in the Barbie movie because she's Israeli and "Barbie isn't Israeli" to which I told her if she actually watched the movie she'd realize how ridiculous that statement is since the whole point of the movie is that anyone can be Barbie. It culminated the other day in a mini-rant about China people forcing us out of our own city in front of my GF who, despite growing up in Canada, is from China. Of course she threw in the obligatory "except you" at the end because that makes it all better.

It's becoming quite tedious and I'm concerned about her shutting off, she seems to be becoming more and more negative and miserable the more she gets into this stuff. Suggestions to talk to different people or change up her echo room a bit or perhaps even just realize that what she's reading might not be truthful have so far fallen on very deaf ears.
It's not just old people but certainly everyone has become more "woke" but in the aspect of aware vs. what right wings use to describe left wing people.

I have friends who are in their 40's now that had zero issues with trans and gay people and now suddenly there's a prob. And this is for items outside of the entire trans discussion too....mind you i do currently live in Alberta and even the educated sound like the truck convoy here.
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:59 PM   #17833
MG1

I beg to differ. People my age are very aware of technology. We were the ones who started it all. My son said to me one day that I was always first to embrace new technologies. I admit, it has become harder to keep up with new advances in technology, but there are way more young people out there who are clueless. It kind of scares me, actually. Have and have not society.

Also, it all comes down to how we treat each other. I can't believe how shitty people are nowadays. With technology, it has made it so much harder to keep a good moral compass.

I don't watch news anymore. Definitely nothing on social media or podcasts. Social influencers, whathaveyou. Anyway, RS, ftmfw!

In Mike we Trust., jbol

This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 05:04 PM   #17834

You’re the exception. Ya you guys might have invented the fundamental technology behind this mess, but it’s navigating this cesspool of humanity that has many of your generation stumped.

Hell i can imagine turning into a grumpy racist old fuck when I hit your age. I’ll probably call everyone a retard and a fag cuz back in my days, these words weren’t bound to such sensitive topics. Everyone was a retard and everyone was a fag

Ya retarded fag
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 05:09 PM   #17835
MG1

I still catch myself saying things that are no longer acceptable.

I used to use the word gay all the fucking time. My daughter keeps reminding me not to do that.

I have these little spoons and forks in the cutlery drawer. I keep calling them gay forks and gay spoons............

Retarded/Retard is another hard one to keep in check.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:21 PM   #17836
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
You’re the exception. Ya you guys might have invented the fundamental technology behind this mess, but it’s navigating this cesspool of humanity that has many of your generation stumped.

Hell i can imagine turning into a grumpy racist old fuck when I hit your age. I’ll probably call everyone a retard and a fag cuz back in my days, these words weren’t bound to such sensitive topics. Everyone was a retard and everyone was a fag

Ya retarded fag
The cesspool party is there are just too many types all of a sudden for some people to wrap their heads around. It was binary until all of a sudden it wasn't. It's much easier to manage and respond to when there's only 2 choices plus gay.

I'm in no way against LGBTQ+... I don't know where it ends right now, but just like at work, when a lot of new things are introduced at the same time you'll have some people who just want to stick with the old ways. "What's wrong with doing billing with pen and paper? Why do I have memorize all these codes for all the products?" That afflicts people young and old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

I used to use the word gay all the fucking time. My daughter keeps reminding me not to do that.

I have these little spoons and forks in the cutlery drawer. I keep calling them gay forks and gay spoons............

The retard one is hard. Been using it for the last 20 years, I'm sure longer for you, so it's a habit that's hard to get rid of.

The word gay was much easier because there were always lots of gay people around me and it was never a insult.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #17837
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I'm not giving up the R word. I'll be sensible with where and how I use it, but you can be sure that it's one of those words that gets the point across when someone is being a retard.
How are you supposed to let your buddy know he's being retarded if you aren't allowed to call him a retard?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:32 PM   #17838
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm not giving up the R word. I'll be sensible with where and how I use it, but you can be sure that it's one of those words that gets the point across when someone is being a retard.
How are you supposed to let your buddy know he's being retarded if you aren't allowed to call him a retard?
Retard, Stupid, Idiot, Moron, Imbecile, and many more words describing mental deficiency all came from the same place, and relatively the same time. They are all medical terms that eventually got used as colloquial insults, but for some reason only one of them got canceled. That's what I don't understand...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:42 PM   #17839
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
When I'm alone in my car and people are doing stupid shit on the road I'll bust out all my old favorites and it's glorious.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #17840
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Approving an admin to change my profile name to retard

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 06:51 PM   #17841
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
I do believe there is a username here by the name of retard

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:04 PM   #17842

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

it's lame and lame for me now haha. And soon, I imagine that lame will be wrong somehow too.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 11:25 PM   #17843
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I do believe there is a username here by the name of retard
Closest one to that username. But he hasn't been active since 2007.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/memb...edloser-43768/
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:25 AM   #17844

Argh I forgot it’s Monterey car week this week. I was suppose to go down there but I’m stuck in montreal. Has anyone on RS ever went to this Mecca of the automotive world ? Seems super cool but I wasn’t sure if being around 20,000 people in that small village with 37 degree weather would be all that fun.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:38 AM   #17845

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Dope ... miniature V8 engine build!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?exti...54190841973219
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 07:48 AM   #17846
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Argh I forgot it’s Monterey car week this week. I was suppose to go down there but I’m stuck in montreal. Has anyone on RS ever went to this Mecca of the automotive world ? Seems super cool but I wasn’t sure if being around 20,000 people in that small village with 37 degree weather would be all that fun.
I think dukes has been? If I remember correctly.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2023, 08:40 AM   #17847
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I think dukes has been? If I remember correctly.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #17848
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Closest one to that username. But he hasn't been active since 2007.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/memb...edloser-43768/
Looks like they've retarded the frequency of posting since 2007.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2023, 08:49 AM   #17849

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Dope ... miniature V8 engine build!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?exti...54190841973219
That's pretty slick!!!
Old 08-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #17850

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
^ yah, I wonder if it can possibly run ... so detailed.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote