REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Trial date set for Amanda Zhao's killer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653885-trial-date-set-amanda-zhaos-killer.html)

Jermyzy 09-19-2011 04:55 PM

Trial date set for Amanda Zhao's killer

Trial date set for Amanda Zhao's accused killer

Trial date set for Amanda Zhao's accused killer
The case is unprecedented as evidence gathered by the RCMP for a crime committed in Canada has been turned over to a foreign jurisdiction
By Kim Bolan, Vancouver Sun September 19, 2011 5:27 PM •Story•Photos ( 2 )
More Images » Amanda Zhao with Ang Li. Almost nine years after she was murdered in B.C., her accused killer and former boyfriend Li is going to trial in China.Photograph by: PNG files, ...Almost nine years after Amanda Zhao was murdered in B.C., her accused killer and former boyfriend is going to trial in China.

New Democrat MLA Jenny Kwan announced Monday that a trial for Ang Li is scheduled to start in Beijing on Tuesday.

And Kwan said the case is unprecedented - where evidence gathered by the RCMP for a crime committed in Canada - has been turned over to a foreign jurisdiction for a prosecution there.

Kwan said that political pressure in Canada convinced China to waive the death penalty, clearing the way for the RCMP to hand over its files.

Zhao was found stuffed in a suitcase near Stave Lake in October 2002. Li, who had been living with Zhao in Burnaby, fled to China before he could be charged in Canada.

Kwan said Zhao's relieved parents contacted her Sunday night with news the trial was finally beginning.

"They had asked us for help, reached across the seas - yelling, calling out for help - and we responded to help the family to get this

case to court so justice could be served," Kwan said.

Kwan, MLA for Vancouver-Mount Pleasant, held a news conference with Port Coquitlam MLA Mike Farnworth Monday, to provide the update on the high-profile case.

Farnworth said what is really needed is an extradition agreement between China and Canada so that people like Li could be tried in Canadian courts.

"I would like to see an extradition treaty with China, but that is not going to happen quickly," he said.

In the meantime, bi-lateral cooperation like what happened in this case will at least prevent suspects from walking free, he said.

Zhao was attending a Coquitlam language school and living in a basement suite with Li and his cousin Han Zhang when Li reported her missing on Oct. 9, 2002. He claimed she had gone to the grocery store and never returned.

On Oct. 20, her body was found. Li fled to China just three days later - before the RCMP had enough evidence to recommend a charge.

The Crown finally approved a second-degree murder charge against Li on May 12, 2003 - but he was long-gone.

Zhang, his cousin, was charged in B.C. with being an accessory after the fact. That case was later thrown out and he also returned to China.

The Zhao family travelled to Vancouver in 2008 and met with Kwan and police to plead for justice for their daughter.

Kwan said Monday that the RCMP apologized to the parents about mistakes that had been made.

"I know that when the RCMP was here and met with the Zhao family, they were very apologetic about what had happened," Kwan said. "The court system here and the police system failed the Zhao family - there is no mistake about that."

She said Li never should have been allowed to leave Canada. And police error led to the case again Zhang being dismissed, she said.

"Those were hard lessons for the RCMP," Kwan said. "And more dramatically, hard lessons for the family."

murd0c 09-19-2011 04:57 PM

Fuck a trial for him. He should just have a prison "accident" to save the family all the heart ache they don't need.

unit 09-19-2011 05:10 PM

jesus i remember following this when it was going on.
i was reading this article to my fob students in conversation class!

scottsman 09-19-2011 05:16 PM

apparently the BF family is pretty major and it is speculated he may get off lightly if convicted.

Culverin 09-19-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsman (Post 7583460)
apparently the BF family is pretty major and it is speculated he may get off lightly if convicted.

You mean like the family is well connected?

2 n r 09-19-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Kwan said that political pressure in Canada convinced China to waive the death penalty, clearing the way for the RCMP to hand over its files.

"They had asked us for help, reached across the seas - yelling, calling out for help - and we responded to help the family to get this case to court so justice could be served," Kwan said
:suspicious:

Mr.C 09-19-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 n r (Post 7583498)
:suspicious:

Yeah, I didn't get the no death penalty either. It would be easier. Although potentially life in prison in China... Possibly worse than death?

TheKingdom2000 09-19-2011 07:38 PM

IMO I think getting trialed in China is a lot worse than in Canada.
If he's found guilty, life in prison there is probably the ultimate punishment. At least he's going to rot in jail forever.

SkinnyPupp 09-19-2011 07:39 PM

No death penalty + "connections" = quietly out of jail in no time

Jail time in China isn't likely to be tougher than anywhere else, unless you're in there as an enemy of the state.

jackmeister 09-19-2011 07:45 PM

lol
life in prison doesn't mean "rot to death" in China. Give it 2 years, he'll be free on medical parole...

ilvtofu 09-19-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsman (Post 7583460)

That's why he was living in someone's basement with his cousin, everyone assumes that people living here from beijing has the chinese government in their pocket...

vafanculo 09-19-2011 08:27 PM

I wonder if he was on rs
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 09-20-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7583665)
That's why he was living in someone's basement with his cousin, everyone assumes that people living here from beijing has the chinese government in their pocket...

politically connected and wealthy from corruption don't always go hand in hand

and this was 10 years ago we're talking about where corrupt wealth wasn't smuggled out in droves as it is now

racerman88 09-20-2011 07:21 PM

should be interesting to see how this plays out as China knows that Canadians are watching this.

drunkrussian 09-20-2011 08:34 PM

doesnt matter how connected you are. for china, foreign relations = foreign pr = determinant of trade relations = determinant of power and profit. his connections are worthless, and probably made up in the first place

he gon get buuuuuuutt rapeeeeed
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 09-20-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7583643)
No death penalty + "connections" = quietly out of jail in no time

Jail time in China isn't likely to be tougher than anywhere else, unless you're in there as an enemy of the state.

I don't think they get broadband.
Also, I don't think there's such a think as "prisoner's rights" in china.

vitaminG 09-20-2011 09:25 PM

you'd think that since were extraditing that big time smuggler back to china that there would be some quid pro quo

optiblue 09-20-2011 11:34 PM

I hope this guy burns.
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 09-21-2011 08:38 AM

i hope his connections are on the same level as BChow and enjoys life in prison.

i saw the guy "weep" while talking to news reporters saying he should have walked her to safeway... man that makes me want to punch him in the face

Mr.HappySilp 09-21-2011 09:53 AM

lol 2cents this guy will be free in a year.

SumAznGuy 09-27-2012 08:12 AM

Also posted in the no need to start a new thread.

Chinese court sentences Li Ang to life in prison for 2002 murder of B.C. student Amanda Zhao

Mr.C 09-27-2012 08:53 AM

Welp, life in prison. That's gonna suck.

StylinRed 09-27-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8040683)

Quote:

Li’s murder trial began in September, 2011 and only lasted two days.

Since then, calls were made by local B.C. politicians to investigate the delayed verdict.

Li comes from a well-connected Chinese military family.
interesting it took so long for a verdict; going to assume that his "prison" cell will feel like a holiday inn

Ulic Qel-Droma 09-27-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7585003)
doesnt matter how connected you are. for china, foreign relations = foreign pr = determinant of trade relations = determinant of power and profit. his connections are worthless, and probably made up in the first place

he gon get buuuuuuutt rapeeeeed
Posted via RS Mobile

butt rape only happens in twisted western prisons.

in china he's gonna be eating rice off the floor with the cockroaches.

at night, mass waves of bedbugs will eat him alive. he'll have to eat lice to supplement his shitty meal.

fleas are so abundant his pillow will turn black from flea droppings.

round worms, scurvy, etc. the list goes on. are highly rampant.

he'll literally rot.

and probably get beaten by guards.

SumAznGuy 09-27-2012 10:09 AM

One can only wish.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66926...-suicided.html