REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #6226
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
If you are looking for good coverage, a new WiFi router alone may not be your magic ticket. In particular, I think you'd be better off looking into a mesh WiFi setup to offer full house coverage.

That is probably something I should do too, but I haven't done enough homework to know what's good.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #6227
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I was googling a mesh system too but am still reading up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
How big is the house? How many floors? What kind of construction?
3000sqft, wood, 2flrs, I'm not sure if a new router would help just yet either

I'm sitting on the floor above the router, directly above the router and the connection will disconnect for a second, switch to lte, then reconnect to the WiFi -_- but! My tvs/firesticks/laptops don't seem to have a problem, so I'm wondering now if it's just my phone :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #6228
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
How about powerline w/ wireless access points?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #6229
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
In most games, the boost from 2080 - 3080 isn't that high. Even at 4K we're talking about 20-30% higher frame rates.

In the super graphically intense games it's higher, but still not crazy

If you play under 4K, your 2080 is totally fine for now.
those numbers seem right according to deep dive sources (gamersnexus and digital foudnry)

this is before raytracing which is becoming standard with the new consoles

i think it's a big deal because moore's law kinda came back/higher end of the GPU market is attainable again which has been absent for several years now

alright one more

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-17-2020 at 01:51 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #6230
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
3080 on 4K barely gives you 60+ fps on max settings on newest game from what Ive read.

it be really good for 1080/1440p

Im thinking if I do get a 3080 Il get a 30-32" curved 1440P 144hz monitor

or wait it out and bet theres a 3080 TI that would have more mem/be better for 4K gaming

ray tracing is still meh. all about that DLSS though.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #6231

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Dude I'm literally clueless to this, I had no idea something like that existed! really got to do some reading lol
Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #6232
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Not a huge fan of them because it highly depends on the wiring inside your walls. Mesh systems better, or one powerful router in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I was googling a mesh system too but am still reading up

3000sqft, wood, 2flrs, I'm not sure if a new router would help just yet either

I'm sitting on the floor above the router, directly above the router and the connection will disconnect for a second, switch to lte, then reconnect to the WiFi -_- but! My tvs/firesticks/laptops don't seem to have a problem, so I'm wondering now if it's just my phone :/
Is it swapping between 2.4ghz/5ghz networks? Could be that... that house is not so big, I'd try a new router first before going mesh. Something like https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Nighth...388466&sr=8-20
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #6233
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Anyone get a 3080?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #6234

Quote:
Not a huge fan of them because it highly depends on the wiring inside your walls. Mesh systems better, or one powerful router in the middle.

Is it swapping between 2.4ghz/5ghz networks? Could be that... that house is not so big, I'd try a new router first before going mesh. Something like https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Nighth...388466&sr=8-20
At first I was leaning towards a better router n just sticking it in the middle of the house, but went down the rabbit hole of solutions n became sorely confused

I don't even see a 5ghz option with the Shaw gateway so I assumed it didn't even have that, but it does act like that (hopping between connections)

Edit: omg that did it, I didn't know shaw sets the 2.4ghz n 5ghz to the same name, even with a custom name! logged into the router and edited the 5G, I think that should fix my problems! When you mentioned 5G it dawned on me my issues are really similar to whenever I used a 5G connection in the past

Last edited by StylinRed; 09-17-2020 at 07:51 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #6235

Quote:
Yea for sure, I've set up powerline in 3 different houses and 1 of them wasn't compatible.

It's gave a really good wired connection to a desktop pc using ethernet that was one floor below and across the whole house. Plus also being an access point, it improved the wifi in the basement in my case.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #6236
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Edit: omg that did it, I didn't know shaw sets the 2.4ghz n 5ghz to the same name, even with a custom name! logged into the router and edited the 5G, I think that should fix my problems! When you mentioned 5G it dawned on me my issues are really similar to whenever I used a 5G connection in the past
Which modem/router are you using?

Depending on the model, some of their modems (I think their Comcast one) has band steering so regardless of which one you choose, it will switch you to the most optimized band given a variety of factors.

When I switched to Telus fibre or whatever it is called, the new gateway does exactly this, except they've placed pods throughout the house. I can't discern which is 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi, but it seems to work well.

Edit: @roastpuff - Do you currently use the Netgear R7000P? If so, any feedback, and pros and cons? I'm using a Netgrear R6220 at my current place, but unsure if the R7000P is going to make a huge difference. I'm moving from a small condo to a stacked townhouse in a few weeks, and need something that will provide coverage for the entire place. Costco has the R7000P on sale right now for $179.99 until September 24!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-18-2020 at 08:50 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #6237
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
I have the Shaw modem (hitron CGNM-2250) and the 5GHz network disappears all the time from the list of available networks. Comes back randomly too. I've tried rescanning while right beside the modem and it's still missing, so I don't think it's a location/distance issue
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #6238

The Shaw Hitron modem is garbage. Use a different router, or 2.4ghz only. But then if it's 2.4ghz only, no point in going higher than 300mbps lol.
fml
Old 09-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #6239

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Which modem/router are you using?

Depending on the model, some of their modems (I think their Comcast one) has band steering so regardless of which one you choose, it will switch you to the most optimized band given a variety of factors.
It's their bluecurve gateway (made by Arris)
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-...eway/ta-p/5632

Says it has 8 antennas for the 5ghz but my God it was annoying, no problems since forcing my phone to connect to the 2.4ghz
Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #6240
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Well, 5Ghz is always a bit wonky to begin with, and I would say it isn't the greatest feature of the Bluecurve gateway. If you're allowed to, connect a better router to it.

WIFi on Hitron modems are just garbage. They are good as modems only, not as wireless routers. I'm using one now, but stopped using the WiFi now that I've connected my Netgear router to it. It's been great.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #6241
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Unless you have a small condo, most people should probably use their Shaw modem as their gateway and invest in a few Ubiquiti APs or a simple mesh wireless system with a wired backhaul.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #6242
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Unless you have a small condo, most people should probably use their Shaw modem as their gateway and invest in a few Ubiquiti APs or a simple mesh wireless system with a wired backhaul.
Yep, 2 UAP-AC-Lites should give pretty good coverage around a house that size., should end up being under $200. Nest Wifi isn't bad either, the configuration's easier to deal with than Ubiquiti's
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #6243
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
having the same issue with the garbage hitrons: weak signal and unreliable connection

house: living space rearfacing ground floor, modem is upstairs facing front

would i have better luck just plugging in a router or use a powerline to the grd flr and use the router down here?

had the whole nas/router setup before this but wanted to simplify, nope! gateways are still as terrible as they were 15 years ago...
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #6244
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I think most people having issues with their WiFi is due to their environment. In some situations, one single AP just can't provide enough coverage for the whole place.

I've never had any issues with the devices that Shaw sent out to me. The current Bluecurve one has a really shit UI, but other than that, no real issues with it and it's forwarding gigabit traffic to my TP-Link Deco access points.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #6245
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
having the same issue with the garbage hitrons: weak signal and unreliable connection

house: living space rearfacing ground floor, modem is upstairs facing front

would i have better luck just plugging in a router or use a powerline to the grd flr and use the router down here?

had the whole nas/router setup before this but wanted to simplify, nope! gateways are still as terrible as they were 15 years ago...
Just get Shaw/Telus to put their modem into bridge mode and use your own wifi routers.

I use the Orbi and it has been near problem free other than some old device compatibility that took some hours to figure out a solution. Other than that, very stable. Same setup at my in-laws and their house is 4x00sqft...
Old 09-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #6246
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
+1 one orbi devices. they are really easy to setup and works really well. They go on sale a lot at bestbuy.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #6247

The great thing about Orbi is that they have wireless backhaul. None of that shared backhaul bandwith crap a lot of the other mesh systems do.
fml
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #6248
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-Na....494835.0.html

Haven't seen this posted yet but the new big navi card (6900XT) could beat the 3090 during gaming and cost less. Hope it doesn't flip like the Radeon 7.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #6249

There was also this leak too about 3080 20GB version and 3070 16GB version:

https://hothardware.com/news/gigabyt...-rtx-3070-16gb
Old 09-23-2020, 01:15 AM   #6250
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Linus tests the 3090 on a 88 inch 8k TV.