REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-19-2024, 04:39 PM   #7176
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,855 Times in 8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Yeah I don't want to swap stuff. I just want it to work and be reliable.
You'd never have to swap stuff for the life of the keyboard don't worry. It's not like those shitty Logitech or Microsoft keyboards that spontaneously die. But if something did go wrong, the option is there, that's all
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 04:40 PM   #7177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I went from:

1. Gateron Milky Yellow - linear
2. Boba U4T - tactile
3. Akko Jelly Black - linear

I previously only liked clicky switches from my Ducky and Logitech days, but then when I decided to go custom I wanted to try other switches. I think I'm fully linear gang now.

Very happy with the Akko Jelly Black. They feel and sound great, and were cheap as hell off Taobao. I couldn't find a place to pick up Akko stuff when I was in HK, but I know you can get them in SZ.
Yeah linear is the only way to go for me, and I like a real light spring, so for Cherry I like Reds. Especially with heavy keycaps it's such a nice feel (but not too heavy so as to make the action slow or sloppy)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #7178
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,586 Times in 4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You'd never have to swap stuff for the life of the keyboard don't worry. It's not like those shitty Logitech or Microsoft keyboards that spontaneously die. But if something did go wrong, the option is there, that's all
This! Without warning, my previous Logitech and Microsoft keyboards just die without warning. A button fails, and you can't fix it and there is no recourse, outside of a warranty claim etc. I am getting tired of this, so I just want a keyboard that will last.

Have you guys noticed "slower typing" when using mechanical keyboards? I saw a few videos on the Keychrons and whatnot in comparison to the usual consumer off-the-shelf stuff like Logitech and people didn't like how their typing speeds suffered.

For me, the use case is instant messaging on Teams, e-mails, Word/Excel/Powerpoint and RevScene.net, so accuracy / speed are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I went from:

1. Gateron Milky Yellow - linear
2. Boba U4T - tactile
3. Akko Jelly Black - linear

I previously only liked clicky switches from my Ducky and Logitech days, but then when I decided to go custom I wanted to try other switches. I think I'm fully linear gang now.

Very happy with the Akko Jelly Black. They feel and sound great, and were cheap as hell off Taobao. I couldn't find a place to pick up Akko stuff when I was in HK, but I know you can get them in SZ.
Educate a noob, please. Are these "keys" or "switches" ? (still learning the lingo.) Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:43 PM   #7179
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,964 Times in 3,894 Posts
My mechanical keyboard works great for gaming but I can't type for shit with it. It's the only one I've ever used though so it might just be the wrong type for me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2024, 07:01 PM   #7180

You need to find the right fit for what you're used to, or something you can easily adapt to. Maybe look for something with a lower profile and shorter throw if you're used to laptop keyboards.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:43 PM   #7181
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,964 Times in 3,894 Posts
It's a "Corsair K60 RGB PRO Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Low Profile Speed" and I understand what some of those words mean https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/p/keyb...-ch-910d018-na

I use desktop keyboards more than laptops but I've never really had much of a problem with any of them and I've always just used whatever random one that was available. Now that I think about it this Dell RT7D50 (I had to check what it is) I'm typing on right now feels really nice and clacky.

But for some reason the Corsair is a mess. The best way I can describe it is like trying to type while really drunk. My spelling takes a serious nosedive and needs a lot of corrections. I think it might be because the keys seem to be extremely sensitive. If I pause to think there's suddenly a ton of spaces on the screen just from my thumb resting on the space bar. Maybe I need to get new switches? It looks like a set costs more than what I paid for the whole keyboard though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:59 PM   #7182
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,242 Times in 1,413 Posts
Quote:
Educate a noob, please. Are these "keys" or "switches" ? (still learning the lingo.) Thanks in advance.
Switches.

There is usually three components to a keyboard.

The board
The switches
The keycaps

People like hotswappable keyboards because if a switch starts to fail or issues pop up (like multiple inputs) you can swap the switch out or clean the switch/socket.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2024, 08:15 PM   #7183

So you already have a low profile, maybe regular profile would be better? These are meant to replicate laptop feel (but often marketed as gaming switches), which is why I thought about them since that's what a lot of people are used to now. If you're already used to desktop, you might want to look at something designed for desktops.

There might be a store you can go to that has samples of all sorts of mechanical keyboards to test... The main thing is the switches. There's a TON of variety with lots of different brands, but the main ones are based on Cherry's designs - most commonly red, black, brown, blue. Black and Red switches are linear, so they are smooth - it's just a spring, and the press registers just before you bottom out while pressing. This is not like most keyboards people are used to, which usually have some sort of click or bump to them, to give a more tactile feel. I prefer it, but most don't (some like it only for gaming but not typing). Red are lighter to press, black have stiffer springs.

On the other end is blue, which has a two piece housing inside that will actually click every time the key is pressed down. This is meant to replicate really old keyboards, which have roots in typewriters. These are preferred for typing, and are usually not good for typing, because they have to come back a long way to reset (if that quick description makes sense). In other words, you can have presses that don't register if you're spamming a key.

In between you have Brown, which has a small nub along the side of the switch which will give a 'bump' feeling on each press. It's not as loud as the clicky Blue switches, but not totally smooth like the red and black. This is the most popular by far (at least when I was paying attention to this), and they can be good for both gaming and typing.

These are the very very basics that were prevalent when I was studying this stuff. I know there are a lot more brands now that make a wide variety of spring levels, clicks, bumps, etc. I'd just stick to this and see if you can find something suitable. Keyboards got even more nerdy after I left the industry.

Keycaps can make a difference too, but you're really getting into the nerd weeds then.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2024, 08:29 AM   #7184
RS Veteran

Interesting bit about the keys, switches, and key caps - thank you guys for that. This really helps my understanding.

Ok, so historically, it's usually the ENTER, Spacebar, and Shift keys that die for me really quickly. Having that ability to hot swap switches that are broken is a really nice incentive for me so I can at least switch out the broken/failed ones piece-by-piece, and not have to throw out an entire keyboard.

I went to Canada Computers yesterday to play around and feel some of the different keyboards. I think I like tactile for now but on the fence about linear. I've been using laptop keyboards for a long time and switched between a desktop keyboard, but due to my job, I'm always mobile and traveling, so low profile is what I am used to.
Quote:
Old 01-21-2024, 08:34 PM   #7185
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Interesting bit about the keys, switches, and key caps - thank you guys for that. This really helps my understanding.

Ok, so historically, it's usually the ENTER, Spacebar, and Shift keys that die for me really quickly. Having that ability to hot swap switches that are broken is a really nice incentive for me so I can at least switch out the broken/failed ones piece-by-piece, and not have to throw out an entire keyboard.

I went to Canada Computers yesterday to play around and feel some of the different keyboards. I think I like tactile for now but on the fence about linear. I've been using laptop keyboards for a long time and switched between a desktop keyboard, but due to my job, I'm always mobile and traveling, so low profile is what I am used to.
I have a friend who brings a custom keyboard with him when he travels because he has to type a lot for work, and hates the Surface Book keyboard lmao.

He's nuts, but I like his style.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2024, 09:53 PM   #7186
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:

If you're looking for a low profile hotswappable mechanical keyboard, you're probably looking at the Nuphy Air.

I wasn't impressed with the latency when I tried it previously, but their newer V2 model is supposedly much better.

A lot of Mac users love it from what I've seen and use it on top of their laptop's keyboard.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 04:35 AM   #7187
RS Veteran

Wow, I was just about to update the thread and share that I ordered a NuPhy Air72 v2.

The guy behind KeyTech in Toronto had exactly the spec I had in mind (Grey with Brown keys.) Looking forward to it this week.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #7188
Say! Say! Say!

This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 01:14 PM   #7189
RS Veteran

Well, shit. Just my luck.

My Microsoft Ergonomic mouse has issues with the scroll wheel now. Whenever I scroll up or down, the page bounces up or down, depending on the direction, and sometimes, it just doesn't respond at all. I just replaced the batteries too. Good god.

Any recommendations on good mice to get? Wireless and able to connect up to three devices is key.
Quote:
Old 01-22-2024, 01:19 PM   #7190
Say! Say! Say!

You can probably take it apart and give it a good cleaning, but might suck since the screws are probably under the mouse feet.

The MX Master or MX Anywhere? Just a single button on the underside to switch between devices and you can pair up to three.

I have a single device so I just use a cheapo G305. All mouse are bound to do the dreaded double-click eventually, lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 02:33 PM   #7191

Unfortunately I don't think there's a market for boutique high quality mice like there is with keyboards.. Just keep buying them when they die

I just use a cheap Logitech, mostly because it's the only one I've found with 4 (well 6) extra buttons on top. I prefer that over any $100 or $200 mouse

They do die pretty quickly though, so I've replaced it like 3 or 4 times by now lol
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 02:38 PM   #7192
RS Veteran

lol damn it

It's either the dreaded double click or no-click for me.
Quote:
Old 01-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #7193
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,427 Posts
Quote:
Have you guys noticed "slower typing" when using mechanical keyboards? I saw a few videos on the Keychrons and whatnot in comparison to the usual consumer off-the-shelf stuff like Logitech and people didn't like how their typing speeds suffered.
Damn, I am realizing this myself now that you mention it.

I got a no-name mechanical keyboard with Brown switches a few years ago for shits & giggles, it feels good but I definitely feel like my fingers stumble on themselves when I type fast, way more than my MacBook keyboard or my Apple keyboard in the office.

Also the fact that everybody on my Zoom calls can hear while I'm typing, which is annoying and also people can tell when I am multitasking/not paying attention.

This thread making me wonder if I should go back to a 'regular' non-mech keyboard. The MXKeys look pretty sweet.

As for mice, I am still rocking this one daily at home:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:41 PM   #7194
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
lol damn it

It's either the dreaded double click or no-click for me.
For space-saving on a desk, would you consider an ergonomic mouse with a trackball?

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...all-mouse.html
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 05:21 PM   #7195
RS Veteran

@sonick - I had that exact mouse in your photo many moons ago and it died (double click of death and ultimately no click death.)

Now I am starting to regret my keyboard purchase and I haven't even received it.

@radeonboy - I tried one of those before and I couldn't make it work. I just did not enjoy using the trackball.
Quote:
Old 01-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #7196
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
I started using one of these a couple of months ago, and it took a while to adjust. But now that I have grown accustomed to it, I really can't go back to use regular mice anymore:

https://www.amazon.ca/Perixx-PERIMIC...dp/B00GZIA2AE/

They come in wired or wireless models, as well as left and right handed models.

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:12 AM   #7197
RS Veteran

Got my NuPhy Air75 v2. I'm getting used to the switches as it bounces back. I've spent so many years using flat laptop keyboards so this will be a transition. I'll need some time to set up and figure this keyboard out.

Edit: Added pictures below
Spoiler!
Quote:

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-23-2024 at 11:51 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 12:57 PM   #7198
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
What the fuck do you guys do to your mice/kbs? I have never had one die (Logitech both) and I heavily use both every single day for 8 hours each day for work PLUS after work stuff.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #7199
RS Veteran

I guess our hands and fingers are not as delicate and soft as yours
Quote:
Old 01-23-2024, 07:51 PM   #7200
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
What the fuck do you guys do to your mice/kbs? I have never had one die (Logitech both) and I heavily use both every single day for 8 hours each day for work PLUS after work stuff.
Eat banh mi over the keyboard then grab the mice after eating oily banh xeo.

I'm using a das keyboard with brown switches and a chinese wireless vertical mouse I got off Amazon, which looks identical to Traum's. HyperX mouse for CS:GO/2

https://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional/
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote