REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #51
RabidMod

Thanked 1,080 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEYsted View Post
I am planning to get my first car in the near future and plan on purchasing an 04'-06' E46 M3. Does anyone have any experience with the car they could share? Pros/Cons?

inb4getyour"n"first
inb4notworthydriver
Even as your second car you're going to put the car in a lamp post.

I'm not being an asshole it's just proven fact. You could be the best damn driver in the world but at 17, all it's going to take is a Friday night and a couple of other 17 year olds in the backseat to make you do things we've all done at that age.

Except most of us were driving cars with two digits of torque (and yet, the shit I used to get myself into..)

You say you like cars and you like working on cars? Pick up something older that's depreciated enough that you can sell it for what you got it for a year later, and cheap enough that if (when) you slide into a ditch you can walk away from it. If you actually manage to walk away from this without crashing the car then sell it after a year or two and you'll have enough for the M3, except now we won't see you on the news.

Also, whatever you get (and I bet you'll get the M3 because you're 17 and there's no fuckin way a 17 year old is going to say no to an M3), bring it out to autocross. Learn some car control. You're going to see exactly what it takes (surprisingly little) to lose control of the car, and then you're going to figure out how to recover if (when) shit happens.

This was probably a waste of my time, I just figured I'd try.
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post

I'm not being an asshole it's just proven fact. You could be the best damn driver in the world but at 17, all it's going to take is a Friday night and a couple of other 17 year olds in the backseat to make you do things we've all done at that age.

Except most of us were driving cars with two digits of torque (and yet, the shit I used to get myself into..)

You say you like cars and you like working on cars? Pick up something older that's depreciated enough that you can sell it for what you got it for a year later, and cheap enough that if (when) you slide into a ditch you can walk away from it. If you actually manage to walk away from this without crashing the car then sell it after a year or two and you'll have enough for the M3, except now we won't see you on the news.

Also, whatever you get (and I bet you'll get the M3 because you're 17 and there's no fuckin way a 17 year old is going to say no to an M3), bring it out to autocross. Learn some car control. You're going to see exactly what it takes (surprisingly little) to lose control of the car, and then you're going to figure out how to recover if (when) shit happens.

Hey, atleast you tried. It was a valiant effort.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
baby steps

1. pass N test
2. learn manual on a shit car
3. get your class 5
4. buy M3

don't worry you can accomplish all this in high school provided you don't fail any more road tests
I'm not in high school...
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post

Nope. Thanks to your reverse psychological post your time was not wasted lol. I honestly appreciate all the positive/negative feedback you guys are giving me and I will take all of it to heart. Don't judge me just because I want an M3 @ 18 years old. What and where is autocross exactly?

Last edited by WHEYsted; 09-28-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
SMG in S6 shifts in 0.08 seconds
i never knew half a second was faster than 8 milliseconds
sigh.... are u trying to get technical now? Manual is faster than SMG/SMG II period. M-DCT on the other hand is a different story.

drive your second hand last gen m3 more before you start talking to other M or other high powered car first hand owners

Last edited by Zyzz; 09-28-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #56
I don't get it

My question for you is this:

Why do you have such a sense of entitlement that you would be satisfied owning an expensive car that you cannot pay for? Let alone pay for the repairs, maintenance, insurance, gas etc etc.? Ok, maybe you can pay for insurance/gas and a bit of maintenance, but you are still living at home and your parents are still paying almost all of your bills so your still powered by dad.

Get started early by working hard, may it be going to school or working, at the end of it, it all pays off and you can get whatever you want/can afford at that point. It may not be an M3 but at least you bought it with your own hard work.

Dont be that guy borrowing a mil or 3 from your parents when your 30.
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #57
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzz View Post
sigh.... are u trying to get technical now? Manual is faster than SMG/SMG II period. M-DCT on the other hand is a different story.

drive your second hand last gen m3 more before you start talking to other M or other high powered car first hand owners
I know manual is faster but its very hard to shift faster than smg. I know a lot of drivers can do it, I'm saying you can't because your "half a second" shift is slower than smg. You said it yourself buddy no need to get all butthurt

@wheysted
Don't let anyone change your mind about getting an m3, I bought mine when I was 19 and it was my second car. Age has nothing to do with anything. If you have the money go get one! Plus its not THAT fast like I said before it has the perfect amount of speed and handling. Unless you're a complete retard you won't kill yourself lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Who are we to judge what one can and cannot have? This isn't what the thread is about.
so true
there's too much jealousy on RS
i bought mine by myself at a young age
this guy has his parents to buy him one at a young age
no one says shit to me and everyone rags on him
poor guy lol

Last edited by Happy; 09-28-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #58
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYeh View Post
My question for you is this:

Why do you have such a sense of entitlement that you would be satisfied owning an expensive car that you cannot pay for? Let alone pay for the repairs, maintenance, insurance, gas etc etc.? Ok, maybe you can pay for insurance/gas and a bit of maintenance, but you are still living at home and your parents are still paying almost all of your bills so your still powered by dad.

Get started early by working hard, may it be going to school or working, at the end of it, it all pays off and you can get whatever you want/can afford at that point. It may not be an M3 but at least you bought it with your own hard work.

Dont be that guy borrowing a mil or 3 from your parents when your 30.
Thanks for the advice, but who said I am not working hard towards paying for part of the car? Who said I can't enjoy the finer things in life if I have the resources? Not everyone has to work their ass off in order to acquire things. You only live once, so why waste your entire life working towards something that is sub-par?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but who said I am not working hard towards paying for part of the car? Who said I can't enjoy the finer things in life if I have the resources? Not everyone has to work their ass off in order to acquire things. You only live once, so why waste your entire life working towards something that is sub-par?

in other words, your parents have a little money and they are willing to buy you a car and pay for your education. right on, wish i had those luxuries at 18.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #60
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Who are we to judge what one can and cannot have? This isn't what the thread is about.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #61
Need my Daily Fix of RS

M3 is nice, if you can afford all the other stuff mentioned. If it means that you spent ALL your money on the car and cannot do anything else like going out with friends, it won't be fun at all. =)
Titanium1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #62
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
M3's are awesome. Still look gorgeous. My buddy is selling a super mint '04 SMG Carbon black on red if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

Kev
Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #63
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
E46 FTW .... albeit a CSL
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #64
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Buying a car is one thing, but maintaing it is another.

I see those guys all the time buy some car to have it on craigslist 1 month later saying they can't afford it.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #65
Old School RS

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,198 Posts
It's also worth saying that 90% of BMW owners think they maintain their car because they change their oil, brakes, and tires. To make that BMW with 100k drive like it SHOULD it requires doing the things that are often overlooked... things like suspension bushings are critical and virtually never done until they are completely hosed but contribute so much to whether a car feels "tight" or "sloppy". Other things that need to be done but are often ignored... brake fluid flushes to keep the pedal firm, differential fluid to keep the LSD functioning well (NOT lifetime fluid)... then there are the things unique to the E46 M3... #1 important thing to do is VALVE ADJUSTMENTS every 30k!!!

My old M3, a very rare sunroof delete car in "Mystic Blue Metallic" with the Cinnamon interior:

Last edited by lowside67; 09-28-2011 at 03:50 PM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #66
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
I still wish that there was a sedan version of the E46 M3...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Alright guys, I decided to take the advice on holding off on the M3 and have decided on an '07-'09 328i coupe to start. Now does anyone have any experience with that car? Pros/cons? Please take your hate out of this thread and I don't give a fuck if you think being powered by parents is lame.

@Roach. that is sex. Thanks for the offer but I'll wait a bit until I get some driving experience.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #68
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
I don't give a fuck if you think being powered by parents is lame.
I THINK this is sig worthy. Thanks bro.

And for the record, it is lame. Go buy your own shit, or power yourself and you'll know what I mean. Until then, well, don't kill yourself.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #69
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
*edit* ahh fuck it,
good luck paying for oil changes

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #70
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
I am planning to get my first car in the near future and plan on purchasing an 04'-06' E46 M3. Does anyone have any experience with the car they could share? Pros/Cons?

inb4getyour"n"first
inb4notworthydriver
Awesome car, but expect to shell out alot of money to maintain it and keep it running. If you don't have thousands at your disposal I wouldn't suggest it.

SMG transmission is known for issues and costs thousands to repair. I've known a few people that had to rebuild their SMG tranny. Very costly.

If you're buying your first car, buy something practical unless you're some rich mainland chinese dude and your dad is buying you a ferarri.....oh wait....used M3.....

Yeah....buy something practical if it's your first car. Otherwise your first car will be up for sale very quickly and you'll lose thousands.

Affording the car is one thing, maintaining it is another. Owning a nice car that you can't drive because you can't afford to fix it is pointless.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #71
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
I THINK this is sig worthy. Thanks bro.

And for the record, it is lame. Go buy your own shit, or power yourself and you'll know what I mean. Until then, well, don't kill yourself.
What I meant was to a certain extent. Obviously you shouldn't rely on your parents after 19 since that is the legal age of adulthood in Canada. Not all of us are forced to gain financial independence as teens... bro.

For the record, all this fuckery is making me rethink my priorities in life and maybe a flashy car isn't necessary in my life right now...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #72
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
For the record, all this fuckery is making me rethink my priorities in life and maybe a flashy car isn't necessary in my life right now...
I've gone through my fair share of cars. By no means anything "flashy" such as an E46 M3 but now that I'm old(er), to me, a car is a car.

And looking back at all the money I spent on cars, I wish I had saved all that money.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #73
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Awesome car, but expect to shell out alot of money to maintain it and keep it running. If you don't have thousands at your disposal I wouldn't suggest it.

SMG transmission is known for issues and costs thousands to repair. I've known a few people that had to rebuild their SMG tranny. Very costly.

If you're buying your first car, buy something practical unless you're some rich mainland chinese dude and your dad is buying you a ferarri.....oh wait....used M3.....

Yeah....buy something practical if it's your first car. Otherwise your first car will be up for sale very quickly and you'll lose thousands.

Affording the car is one thing, maintaining it is another. Owning a nice car that you can't drive because you can't afford to fix it is pointless.
exactly this.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #74
I don't get it

Quote:
Quote:
Please take your hate out of this thread and I don't give a fuck if you think being powered by parents is lame.
Quote:
What I meant was to a certain extent. Obviously you shouldn't rely on your parents after 19 since that is the legal age of adulthood in Canada. Not all of us are forced to gain financial independence as teens... bro.

I know Im off topic about buying a car, but hear me out

Alright kid, you seem to think that since you have not reached the legal age of 19, it is still okay to be powered by parents. I get it that you are from a well enough off family and your parents are able and willing to give you a means to enjoy finer things in life, but this sheltering has given you a false sense of entitlement.

I am not jealous at the fact that you don't need to gain financial independence or you have access to resources to drive flashy vehicles at a young age. I just thought that maybe flashing your parent's cash around by means of an M3 would be less appealing than powering your own way to something you bought with with your own hardwork and money. I always feel better when I know I worked hard for what I have earned. But I guess times have changed.
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #75
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
I'm not in high school...
Quote:
Don't judge me just because I want an M3 @ 18 years old. What and where is autocross exactly?
My bad for being a year off
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote