REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
i think this part is pretty true though
I agree. The term ignorance is bliss, is so true. My first M car was an 2002 E46 m3. I think it was a logical evolution from my 2001 330ci. I admit I am a BMW fanboy (less now than 5 yrs ago, due to M cars getting soft, but that is another story). This is my evolution of BMW cars

1982 320i - my dad's car, but he souped it all up in the day, with big 15 inch Panasports, bilstein shocks, lowered, bored and stroked to 2.1L motor. I had a 82 Civic at the time and remember driving my dad's car going, holy cow, these BMW cars drive different than anything else I driven.

1984 318i (e30) - gutless with a 4sp auto, but loved the car. It handled really well

1992 318is (e36) - first modern BMW. Looked fucking kool with RD bodykit and 17 inch RD wheels. Again, handled and looked awesome, but was slow like shit.

1996 328is (e36) - looks like a 318is, but drove completely different, gotta love BMW inline 6 torque.

2001 330ci (e46) - just like my 328is, but updated.

2002 M3 (e46) - one of my fav cars all time.

2005 545i (e60) - owned for 1.5yrs, great smooth power, but with no LSD, it was an one wheel wonder.....could not lay down the power, absolutely sucked balls!!! swore I will never buy a non M car again

2008 M5 (e60) - a big boat, great power and DD. Perfect for my family and a compliment to my 04 GT3.

It is true, once you go Mcar it is hard to go back to a regular bimmer. The steerings feels ultra slow, the susp feels soft, and the engines are just plain boring Vs M engines.

I am so sad Mcars are so mainstream now. I will never forget my first drive in an E30 M3......wow!!!!! BMW should start developing the CSL line to compete with Pcar GT line....that's when hardcore motorsport guys will com back to M cars.
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Of course the E30 puts a smile on your face because, after all, it's an E30.

M3 stands for "Money X3". Does an M3 really deliver 3 times the performance and fun over a "regular" 330 at an average of 3 times the cost?
that's like saying is a Rolex watch 3x as good as Omega. It's called the law of dimishing returns. Talk to any audiophile.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #103
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
I think a fair comparison in Tapioca's example would be the 330i ZHP compared to the M3.

It may not be an M car but damn, it is one hell of a great car for the money.

And as skyxx once said to me, ///Marketing.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
that's like saying is a Rolex watch 3x as good as Omega. It's called the law of dimishing returns. Talk to any audiophile.
I consider myself an audiophile and I very much understand the concept of diminishing returns (I do listen to vinyl after all.)

The OP needs to drive something like a ZHP and compare that to the M3 to determine if he thinks having an M3 is worth the extra cost.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #105
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

M3 is definitely worth the extra cost. You can't even compare in terms of driving enjoyment. I had a 335i w/ bolt on suspension mods (coilovers, sways) and I could never get it to handle anywhere close to my M3.

It is true, once you go "M" you can't go back.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #106
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I've had my M3 since I was 18. So fuck all those that never had a M3 when they were 18.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #107
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
It is true, once you go "M" you can't go back.
^^ EXACTLY the same....

I went from 335i (KW suspension, Alcon BBK, catless DP+ecu making 400whp) to m3 (e36m3 with JUST suspension and brakes @ 205whp) and I never think regret getting rid of the [non-M] 335i.

Yes, it isn't an E46M3 but I've also driven em to compare and it is definitely on my NEXT car list...
N.gen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #108
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I consider myself an audiophile and I very much understand the concept of diminishing returns (I do listen to vinyl after all.)

The OP needs to drive something like a ZHP and compare that to the M3 to determine if he thinks having an M3 is worth the extra cost.
ZHP is

Just an FYI a ZHP is pretty expensive to keep running properly too. The lower control arms/bushings go bad around 80,000km, and replacing them costs $600 a side. Still, cheaper than the m3 though.

Doesn't the m3 require a valve adjustment every 25,000 kms? From what I've heard, that can be pretty expensive too.

If you've got the money for an m3 @ 18 you're parent powered. if you're parent powered, they'll also pay for your maintenance, just get the m3 and don't drive like a dick and you'll live. If you don't, at least darwin's theory of evolution still holds.

Also the ZHP needs 94 octane + you pay a premium for mods just as you would with an m3 (the AA software flash is something like $600 whereas regular price for a 330i is $400, headers made for a 330i fit the zhp funny (or atleast the one's I had to deal with did) and had to be modified) + it takes synthetic .. zhp would be cheaper but not sure if its justified getting a ZHP over an M3 strictly for lower cost of ownership
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #109
RS Licensed Vendor

I think OP just needs to determine whether he can afford the expensive maintenance. It's not one of those forgiving cars where you can let maintenance slip. If OP is a student working for crappy pay then look elsewhere. If OP is a spoiled brat kid like Hyde AKA Renn (you know the ones that make public posts about not having baller Xmas dinners) living/working off their parents then sure. Why not just buy an E92 then.

I've driven tons of them, lots of my friends have had them, worked on tons of them, they're truly an amazing car. If you're truly an enthusiast, you'll love the car. Just make sure your bankroll can afford it.

Do some research yourself on the BMW forums and see what problems arise and get an idea of how much things cost to buy, replace, maintain and repair. If you're financially prepared....GO FOR IT.

I personally like the E46 better than the E92 in terms of the overall feel. Seems more balanced.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #110
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Bottom line: If you can afford a clean relatively low mileage M3 and know what to expect in terms of maintenance costs, go for the E46 M3. You won't regret it. Talk to the owner of the vehicle and make sure he knows a little about his car. If it's been maintained properly then the car will last a long time.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #111

Car money + insurance + gas + maintance .

Get ready for shit storm.
Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #112
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6insomnia9 View Post
Car money + insurance + gas + maintance .

Get ready for shit storm.
Posted via RS Mobile
My insurance is 3800ish with 25% discount. Inspection II cost me 1800 at Park Shore BMW, I was quoted 2500 at Brian Jessel... Also VANOS fucks up all the time in these cars, that's a 5000+ job
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #113
I STILL don't get it

a

Last edited by str8hustla; 10-30-2011 at 08:26 PM.
str8hustla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #114

M cars are fucking awesome, I drove a 2007 m5 , holy fuck best car I ever driven. After I drove my car and was like this is a piece of shit LOL.

><
Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #115
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8hustla View Post
UR A GOOF U AINT GETTING NO CAR U PUSSY IF U GET IT IMMA ROB U FOO
lol....

School: High school
Vehicle: Acura RSX
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #116

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had a few questions about the E46 M3 as well and I didnt want to create a new thread for it.

I'm actually contemplating trading my current vehicle (07 Subaru Legacy) for a 2006 BMW M3 Carbiolet.

The car i'm looking at currently has aroudn 37xxxKM, and is a 6 Spd MT transmission.
The asking price is just shy of $40K.

A couple of question I have would be,
1. What are some of the things I should be aware of at 37K, any major maintence that should've been done? (One would assume that at under 37K there shouldnt be major servicing other than oil change)
2. How reliable is the Convertiable? any leak issues? Motor issues? in general that is
3. Is the asking price fair? I dont plan on paying 40K for it, I am hoping to negoiate a trade in with my current vehicle so that the difference is under 10K.....
4. How is the car in "bad weather" i've been spoiled by a subaru for the past 4 years, and love how it handles in rain and snow. Not that I will be doing a lot of snow driving in this car, but if I get snow tires, would I be able to make the odd trip to whistler/cypress with ease?

I understand that the maintenance cost is quite a bit higher than my current car, however I am in a position where I drive less than 400km per month right now. I walk to work, and this car will mainly be for pleasure use, so I'm not too concerend about maintenance.

Any feedback or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #117
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
If you can, and want to.. then I say go for it.
6-speed they are damn fun to drive.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #118
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
cabriolets.. not my thing but if you like it then you like it.
also slower and doesn't handle as well as the coupe/sedan version
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
cabriolets.. not my thing but if you like it then you like it.
also slower and doesn't handle as well as the coupe/sedan version
totally understand that performance wise coupe/sedan is the way to go
however, i'm looking at this car not 100% from a performane stand point.
sure if a coupe version with similar KM/color/transmission was avaliable I would pick it over the convertable.

However it is not the performance that I am concerned about, it is the realiability, this definately wont be a "summer only weekend car" it will be my daily driver (despite the fact that I dont drive daily). So reliability is of some what importance to me.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #120
RS Veteran

Daily driving a convertible in this city is not advisable unless you keep the vehicle in a garage and transit on a regular basis. In other words, I don't recommend a convertible whatsoever unless you have a hard top. At 37,000km, be prepared for an Inspection I and/or II aka $$$$$. You'll also have to be prepared to replace suspension parts such as bushings, control arms, tie rods, strut mounts and the whole shebang. Oh yeah, maybe even the cooling system - radiator end tanks, water pump w/metal impeller, thermostat etc. Mileage is not the issue here. Age is. BMWs are all about preventative maintenance.

The car will be 5, moving on to 6 years old. By this time, the top will slowly develop leaks and/or tears. You will eventually have to replace it or fix it, or WHY. And if you want to take this up the mountain...keep the Legacy. So much better in terms of reliability, functionality, and practicality.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #121
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Daily driving a convertible in this city is not advisable unless you keep the vehicle in a garage and transit on a regular basis. In other words, I don't recommend a convertible whatsoever unless you have a hard top. At 37,000km, be prepared for an Inspection I and/or II aka $$$$$. You'll also have to be prepared to replace suspension parts such as bushings, control arms, tie rods, strut mounts and the whole shebang. Oh yeah, maybe even the cooling system - radiator end tanks, water pump w/metal impeller, thermostat etc. Mileage is not the issue here. Age is. BMWs are all about preventative maintenance.

The car will be 5, moving on to 6 years old. By this time, the top will slowly develop leaks and/or tears. You will eventually have to replace it or fix it, or WHY. And if you want to take this up the mountain...keep the Legacy. So much better in terms of reliability, functionality, and practicality.

37k KM is consider pretty low milege and an 06 car is the last of the E46 M3.
my 02 still doesn't require any of the above changed or replaced and my car is fine. All I do is regular maintenance and all BMW inspections.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #122

Quote:

your a total goof man, you ask me for my opinion on E46 M3 issues when you already know....i know my bmws too man......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #123
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
its funny when non-e46 m3 drivers argue with e46 m3 owners on the subject of e46 m3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyzzBrah View Post
u are 1 ****ing cheeky **** mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life
and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum car website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer
stfu with the bb quotes... first illicstylz and now you
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #124
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
your a total goof man, you ask me for my opinion on E46 M3 issues when you already know....i know my bmws too man......
My question directed to you in the previous page was specific to the E46 in particular. The issues I listed in the post above outlines the usual suspects of any BMW.

Anyway...

Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #125

Quote:

Thanks for your detailed reply. I definately owe you a "thanks" once I get off mobile and onto a desk top.

To be honest, there is no "need" for me to trade in my legacy, the thing runs mint, and has less than 60K on the odometer. However, after driving the same car for 4 years, part of me just wants a "change".

I've always wanted to own a german car, but shyed away due to the high maintenance cost. However, now that I am a 5min walk from my work place, I'm in a position where maintenance cost plays less of a role in my decision making. But it is good to know that "age" is a bigger factor to consider than KMs.

As for convertiable, if I had my pick in a M3, I would definately pick coupe, but now as I'm getting a bit older, the idea of crusing in a convertiable in the summer does sound appealing. The car will definately be store in an indoor parkade.

I understand 100% that the legacy is probably more practical, and reliable and better especially in bad weather. However after driving the legacy for 4 years I can't help but notice that I feel "old", and this M3 might potentially help me feel young again. Haha

I will go take a look at the car in 2 weeks when I have some time, and give it a drive and see how I feel about it afterwards.

Thanks a lot for your input!
Posted via RS Mobile