REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,203 Times in 2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post
Feel free to give us feedback on what you like or don't like about the Twitter account.
Its great to see RS starting to move away from just a forum and expanding the horizons.

There really is only one problem. The main chunk of RS is forum content. Members sign up, check every hour/half hour or spend their entire days here already.

The twitter account is only sharing interesting links with the followers... Its up to us members to share it, and depending on how much reach/amplification of each individual twitter account, it could very well not be effective at all.

Maybe find an RS personality and have him/her be the "face" of RS. that could work.

By all means, I believe twitter is great. Im sure theres a large amount of users here on twitter anyways. So spread hte love, get ppl to follow @Revscene. or if u see something. mention RS or hashtag it
Advertisement
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #27
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,590 Times in 4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Go to one site, just to get info about another site that I check on about every 30 mins?
This is for the people with lives
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Mine is down below in my sig, 604Foodtography
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Feel free to give us feedback on what you like or don't like about the Twitter account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
Mine is down below in my sig, 604Foodtography
becareful

if he sees u on the streets drunk, he snaps pictures of u
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #30
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post

Maybe find an RS personality and have him/her be the "face" of RS. that could work.

Let the nominations begin

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
In RS I Trust

Skinnypupp
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
illicitstylz (not srs)
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #33
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Twitter is a tool used to expose Revscene to a new audience and to show potential sponsors that we have a presence in that area. We're not looking to have a "personality" on Twitter right now.

That may change in the future, but for now its a way of conveying information to the masses.

We have a flesh and blood human manning the postings because we want to avoid having a feed like ClubRX7's where every thread is tweeted automatically. Its something we're trying for now but we're open to comments on how well we're doing.

If you see someone who does it better, however, let us know.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
"Popcorn-worthy thread, aisle 3"
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I nominate the person in murd0c's signature.

I'd follow him everyday.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #36
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Twitter is a tool used to expose Revscene to a new audience and to show potential sponsors that we have a presence in that area. We're not looking to have a "personality" on Twitter right now.

That may change in the future, but for now its a way of conveying information to the masses.

We have a flesh and blood human manning the postings because we want to avoid having a feed like ClubRX7's where every thread is tweeted automatically. Its something we're trying for now but we're open to comments on how well we're doing.

If you see someone who does it better, however, let us know.
I wont say this person does it better,because their actual purpose was to scam, But this is GENIUS

How one internet forum scammed their way into new members
Dallas Dave Revealer: The Story of Dallas Dave

Quote:
The Story of Dallas Dave
Hello all, This is Dallas Dave.

Actually, it isn't. No such person exists. The person behind the twitter account and posts at a particular hockey forum was behind a number of individuals spanning across Canada. The hockey forum in question will not specifically be mentioned here, as I see no point in giving such a place any publicity. The reasons behind betraying that website and posting this are boring and not needed to be discussed. If at some time, and for some unfathomable reason, those details are being seeked out, they'll be given. I doubt we'll get to that.

So, what's the story? Why did we create a "Dallas Dave"?

To increase publicity to the website. To some degrees, it worked, and to others it didn't. The first "success" of the Dallas Dave project was the rumor a few years ago on trade deadline day of Alex Ponikarovsky being traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Nashville Predators. This was before the time of the twitter account. Someone created the "Dallas Dave" account, and posted this rumor. Then all the founding members of this forum went to HFBoards.com, and spread the rumor. It caught on like wildfire, and actually resulted in AM640 in Toronto calling Ponikarovsky asking him how he felt about the trade, that actually had never occurred.

This was success #1.

From here, the project got a little craftier. A hidden forum to most members and all guests was created. This is known as the "ABS" at the forum in question. "Dallas Dave" would post a rumor there, where the public can't see it. This is where the "early" timestamp is created. All of the members in on the experiment would then post in that thread, saying something like "thanks Dave", which to an outsider would give DD legitimacy. This strategy was used on every deadline day, draft day, and July 1, or when some other trade was imminent, or if a "blank" (as the thread in the ABS would be called) was posted at just the right time out of circumstance.

To bolster Dallas Dave's credibility if we could get this plan to work, we created the twitter account, take a look, @Dallas_Dave.

Then came success #2, which was a result of quick action and some incredible luck.

A beat reporter (was known as @ajcthrashers) for the now non-existent Atlanta Thrashers reported that the Thrashers had traded Kari Lehtonen to the Dallas Stars. I checked to see if a recent "blank" was posted, and it was. So, a moderator of the forum edited the post in the "ABS" forum by Dallas Dave to say that the Thrashers have traded Lehtonen to Dallas. The post was made about 45 minutes or so before the beat reporter broke the trade. So, the thread in the ABS was edited, and was quickly moved to a public forum (NHL talk), and then I used the twitter account to post the link to the forum.

What resulted was many people (including TSN's Bob Mckenzie) crediting Dallas Dave for breaking the trade long before anyone else did, and his followers on twitter jumped very quickly, to the rate of 100 per day for the first week after that trade. Bob McKenzie actually made a point to "mention" @Dallas_Dave in a tweet saying he called the Lehtonen trade, and this further helped boost DD's popularity. For a period of time up until very recently, McKenzie "followed" Dallas Dave on twitter.

Now, Dallas Dave had a following.

I was in full control of the twitter account. Every now and then I'd post a rumor that came straight out of my ass, based on what was already being said in the media. Trying to find an obscure fact that was reported in the media, but something that not many knew about, proved to be key. Lots of "retweets" resulted, and DD's reputation began to soar.

This strategy was rinsed and repeated a few times. We were acknowledged by various media types. Eklund in particular mentioned DD both on twitter, and on his site "hockeybuzz.com", where Eklund said he agreed 100% with Dallas Dave's thoughts on how the Brad Richards saga would play out (which I pulled straight out of my ass, way to go Eklund). Eric Engels, a reporter for the Habs, also gave Dallas Dave major props for calling the Montreal/NYR trade involving Paul Mara, which was also a result of the time machine we created at the forum. Recently, a very well respected member of the media let me (me as in DD on twitter) in on some rumors which were off the record, as the GM he had spoken to did not want this information out there. Since that media member specifically asked to be anonymous, and I like him, his identity won't be revealed. Neither will the rumor, you'll have to figure that out yourselves. This is just a small representation of the amount of times DD was credited with a good rumor, or an actual trade.

By this point, every time DD posted a post on the forum, and then tweeted it, the site could get 1000 hits within seconds. New registers to the forum weren't as high as hoped, but it definitely put the website on the map, and the forum does have much more members now then it did back then.

So, why reveal him?

It's a bit of a shame I'm doing this. With some connections to actually connected people now, in some senses, DD is a real insider. But, it's root cause for existence is for promoting a forum, which I used to frequent. That forum was actually created as a place for the banned members of HFBoards.com to go. They created this forum under the premise that all members would be free from moderator tyranny, which they accused to be the case of HFBoards.com. At first, it was great. But now, they ban forums left, right, and center and they've made it clear they've made no reason for doing so. So in a lot of senses, they're worse than the initial forum which they've lambasted repeatedly. I was never banned permanently from the forum, I left on my own accord, as I, and other members were unfairly treated by those who rule that forum. I also am the guy who created the DD twitter account, and have sole control over it. They abused their power on me and others, so in the interest of reciprocating their childish behavior, I'm doing this.

Petty, but I also don't want to mislead people any longer for a cause I no longer believe in.

Apologies to those who had their time wasted. I also sympathize with the good people who helped with this cause, whose efforts are now in vain. In that same light, I apologize for not detailing the chronicles of Dallas Dave more elaborately, and bragging about the successes I didn't mention here.. as I didn't want to write a novel. I also apologize to readers of this blog who may have had difficulty understanding this. I wrote this quickly in a period of 5 minutes so please ignore the grammatical errors or awkward phrases which are inevitably in here somewhere.

Off I go to post this on the twitter account!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #37
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Berzscene?

Berz out.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
I'm being watched.

Had to find my old Twitter acc to follow haha, follow me @essel_
essel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Followed.

Follow me @mini604 ^^~

Past:
Mercedes 2003 SLK 230
VW 2007 Rabbit MK5
Yuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #40
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Its great to see RS starting to move away from just a forum and expanding the horizons.

There really is only one problem. The main chunk of RS is forum content. Members sign up, check every hour/half hour or spend their entire days here already.

The twitter account is only sharing interesting links with the followers... Its up to us members to share it, and depending on how much reach/amplification of each individual twitter account, it could very well not be effective at all.

By all means, I believe twitter is great. Im sure theres a large amount of users here on twitter anyways. So spread hte love, get ppl to follow @Revscene. or if u see something. mention RS or hashtag it

I think the members are the face of RS. Imagine trying to find someone like SkinnyPup and Ulic or Hyde and BradChow or a combination of all of them. Pretty hard I'd think .

#RS

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #41
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Our goal in regards to Twitter right now is to increase exposure to our forums but not just to non-members but to current members as well. I find that most RS members tend to spend their time in just a few forums and rarely go into others. I'll admit, I rarely go into VLS but I know there are some great threads over there. This is where our Twitter feed can be useful tool in bringing some of these threads to light.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #42
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanks for the FF#
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #43
Big Drama Show

how do some of you guys have 500+ followers? makes me feel
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #44
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
how do some of you guys have 500+ followers? makes me feel
I have 7 followers now I feel special lol
Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #45
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
Thanks for the FF#
Posted via RS Mobile

We want to give back what you guys put in. Participate with us on Twitter and we'll shoot you some love for it.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #46
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

@yaoshi333
Posted via RS Mobile
!YaoShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #47
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

#FF!
@yatli
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #48
Big Drama Show

#FF
@jaygridramos

dunno what FF means
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #49
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
#FF
@jaygridramos

dunno what FF means
follow friday
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

i did my FF
so i hope u ppl do the same?