REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Opinions on Ford Escape

Just wondering if anybody owns a Ford Escape, or has driven one, what their experience was like. Specifically, the 2007-current generation.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
drove a couple at work ( previous gen and the current gen)......there ok i guess, pretty smooth, good power it would make a alright daily driver. It didnt WOW me or anything.

however cant say the same thing about the jeep liberty my god that suv is god awfull
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I've driven one as well. Had the V6, power seemed good, and the ride wasn't terrible. If the Escape is priced below it's competitors (ie. Rav-4) in the used market, I don't see why it's a bad choice.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I had one for a while. It was a previous generation one but it was powerful enough for what I needed it for, handled great in the rain, had some chilly AC, and was surprisingly good on gas for a V6.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Can't say for the generation you are looking at, but girlfriend has a first gen Mazda Tribute, same thing basically. V6 and FWD, awfully stupid setup if you ask me. I really don't like it.

If you do get one, don't cheap out and get the AWD/4WD version.

Also look into the climate control is setup, Ford uses, imo, a rather stupid setup. It may or may not be for you, but I definitely dislike it.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
My inlaws have an '08 AWD V6, I've driven it around bit.
It's comfortable, and easy to drive, handles more like a car than an SUV. It was great in that big snowfall we got a couple years ago.
The gearing gives it good acceleration in the city, but it's gutless if you put your foot into it on the highway.
It's not going to win any luxury awards though.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Had a Hybrid @ work for a while. Agreed with the posts above. And yes, the climate control is weird. Get AWD if possible.

For a good DD and its price point, it's not bad.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

sorry to jack thread, but is escape the same platform as Edge? Personally edge looks nicer and has AWD too.

Escape is nice and looks similar to land rover LR2
Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
edge is about 6500 more expensive. ( comparing base models)
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Edge is different. However the Mazda tribute is the same
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
sorry to jack thread, but is escape the same platform as Edge? Personally edge looks nicer and has AWD too.

Escape is nice and looks similar to land rover LR2
No, the Edge is a different platform shared with the Mazda CX-9.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
My dad leased a new ford escape every 4 or 5 years since they came out with them. (Before that he had explorers) Grey Escape ? year -> Black Escape 2005? -> Red Escape 2010

They do "handle like a car."

They stopped leasing in Richmond, so he had to buy it this time. His current one is a red 2010 with the 4 cyl. I don't like it because of the electronic steering which makes it feel like a video game. The acceleration feels crappier than the older ones, but it makes some okay vroom sounds when you step on it hard. I think it also comes in a 6 cyl, but I dunno how that is. But, really good on gas! That thing is better on gas, than my old slow maxima. Overall I do not like the 2010. I do not find it to be a particularly fun car to drive.

However, I liked the old black one he had, I think it was 2005. The thing felt like a machine, had 6 cyl and was really fun through the snow. No bullshit electronic steering, either.

We are electricians, so he uses his vehicle to pack around tools and materials. Good vehicle for carrying stuff.

Last edited by Matlock; 09-30-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
racing & tech mod.

Indeed, the Escape and Mazda are built on the same production line. With the Mazda, really, you are just paying extra for the perception that the Mazda is built better or has higher quality. It's not. The Escape is a better deal. The Edge is totally different and is aimed at an upper market.

In regards to the Escape, the 2008+ has the new, current, boxy looking bodystyle. It looks bigger than the older body, but they are actually the same size.

2008 had a 4-speed transmission. Not very good compared to the 6-speeds found in the 2009+ models.

Also in 2009, the 2.3L 4 cylinder was upgraded to a 2.5L cylinder. My personal opinion is that the 4 banger is great for grandma driving around the city, but it is gutless and loud, compared to the V6.

99% of my customers that a 4 banger and then try a V6, wind up going for a V6. The fuel consumption for a AWD 4cyl vs an AWD V6 is like $1500/year vs 1800/year. Very minor difference.

The Escape hybrid is overpriced in my opinion, and hard to find good used ones. It's the older hybrid tech with is not that great compared to the Fusion or Prius.

2008-2009 models had a very minor but common problem with transfer case seals. Most of them have been fixed by now with an updated seal. It's not a huge deal.

2009s also had Sync (hands-free bluetooth link) available as an option.

2010s and 2011s added blindspot mirrors as standard and options such as MyKey, and on the limited editions, you could get autopark and rear view camera.

The EPAS (electric steering) has some huge benefits - mainly that in parking lots you can whip the wheel around with your pinky (it's super light) but at highway speeds it does stiffen up to give a more solid feel. It also helps correct for a crowns/crests in the road, so you don't have to cock the wheel to keep it straight. It also is a more simple system, you won't have to worry about power steering hoses and fluid leaks, and it help save gas also.

The Escape really is a good deal, especially the 2009+ models. It has a TON of features as standard options, and a ton of useful options available as well.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
racing & tech mod.

Oh, very import too:

All Fords have a 3 year or 60,000kms BASIC Warranty.

2006+ Models had an extra POWERTRAIN Warranty of 5 years or 100,000kms.

I would highly recommend getting a 2009 or newer that still has some Basic warranty and lots of Powertrain warranty will left on it.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote