REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
RS controls my life!
 
NJMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 704
Thanked 108 Times in 23 Posts
Convince my younger brother to exercise?

Basically, my younger brother is 15 now, well into puberty, and i want him to start exercising more frequently.

He's been pretty over-weight for a few years now and i'm afraid this lifestyle wont pass... When he was younger he played basketball regularly on a team and we'd always find time for physical activities on the weekends. But around the time he entered highschool he stopped playing, I got busier/older, and he started gaining weight. He eats way too much food and doesnt think at all about his health (he gets it from my dad who is a horrible role model).

Now, I think he's old enough to start going to the gym with me and stuff like that.. But he's so reluctant to even consider it. We play ball once in a while but it absolutely is not enough... I think he's lost a lot of self confidence or something with this weight gain.. Whenever I tell him he should work out with me he just says "no, i dont want to" or something like that and its really frustrating when I'm just trying to help him get back on track.

__________________
Internet's good for er'rybody


Rs feedback!
NJMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
Same age as your bro, sounds like he games a lot too. Get him to quit games so he has more time to do other things. Trust me games is probably the number 1 reason he always says "no, i don't want to". If he doesn't play games then maybe convice couple of his friends to go and it'll make im want to go.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Us
Posts: 123
Thanked 35 Times in 13 Posts
^ you're 15???
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Dude, the kids fifteen and well into puberty, you need to explain it to him in a way he'll understand.

Try this..

"bro, if your in good shape, you'll get this"


"but, if you're not, this is all you'll get"
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactZ View Post
^ you're 15???
^
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 479
Thanked 966 Times in 121 Posts
I made fun of my brother, calling him pinner and such. Now he goes to the gym with me... however he doesn't listen to me or do what I do and freestyle it...

But try making fun of him, and then mention how you can help him solve that problem by going to the gym and such
FOREVER is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
-Stare-
 
ShadowBun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: GVR
Posts: 2,913
Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
after he like that special chick in school and she reject him he will go to the gym, for sure.
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
jbsali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,004
Thanked 268 Times in 74 Posts
if you don't get him off the games by oct 25th... game over



__________________
jbsali
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
RS controls my life!
 
Alar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 772
Thanked 75 Times in 30 Posts
Have you tried sitting down with him and having a "brother to brother" conversation?

Maybe he is insecure about going to the gym because he isn't comfortable not knowing what to do? Reassure him that you'll be there to teach him, bring him at a time when it is not too busy and not full of people, tell him the benefits of short term (reassure him how much better he will feel, and how much energy he will have) and long term health benefits.

Sometimes people need a reality check, their perception and desire to be/maintain a healthy lifestyle is often clouded with their insecurities.

Expose the poor lifestyle your father lives and the consequences from it.

Look for support in other family members?

Be straight with him but be encouraging. You are his brother so you are looking out for him. Make sure he knows that.
Alar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
How I Mod your mother
 
!Yaminashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 13,671
Thanked 968 Times in 474 Posts
If you've been telling him to go the gym with you, I can see why he's a little reluctant. I use to workout in my garage because my dad has a gym set out there, but after a while the weights started getting too light, but I was too scared of signing up at the gym because of above comments: I didnt want to look like an idiot.

I think the problem with your bro is he's entering that age where he wants to do what HE wants, not what anyone else wants him to do. Teens are always naive and never think about the consequences of the choices they make.

You can't make him do something he doesnt want to do, my parents tried for years with my brother and they never got through to him. He's better now but he lacks motivation in alot of areas.

However I've got a buddy that WAS overweight, then one day something just clicked and he started going nuts: Eating right, hitting the gym hard. He ended up losing 100 lbs and is in awesome shape now.

Bottom line is I dont think you'll be able to make him go. He's gotta want to do it himself.
__________________
Quote:
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Crayon
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,022
Thanked 17,637 Times in 5,344 Posts
Exactly. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. Leave him alone and enjoy your own life
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Director of RS Cares
 
miss_crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 5,173
Thanked 600 Times in 281 Posts
I think he needs to be educated on why he should be exercising because if people are just gonna say "you should go because you're fat" or something..it's not gonna work. I wouldn't use the forceful approach because like some people said..he probably already knows he's overweight and is lacking the confidence to do something about it.

Educate him with videos (Supersize Me of the likes) and provide him the sources to hit the gym/work out when he DOES come around. I'm glad he has support like you because if he didnt it'd be a lot harder to do.
__________________
tiptronic: getting cut off by bicycles since 2007
yam-sies
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
see.lai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 694 Times in 328 Posts
Getting in shape should be the priority and he shouldn't be working out just because he's fat. It's his life, really. If you're concerned about his health, just throw away all the junk food at home; he'll probably be pissed but who cares. At least it's a start right? At that age, he probably doesn't realize that his family members care for him.

He'll realize sooner or later that he may want to start working out, not just for girls etc, but for himself, which is good.

Sometimes, it just takes something tragic to happen for someone to just have that motivation. For example, my father is trying to slim down now that he's 50 because his blood pressure is going up. Everybody called him fat but he was like .
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Ain't gonna happen. I tried forcing my brother in law, signed him up, etc, and nothing came of it. So I stopped bothering him. He's gained alot of weight himself now, and once in a while he makes a comment saying he wants to workout, and I just nod and say "cool" - but nothing comes of it.

Also, doesn't matter of age. The desire to workout comes from within. Hopefully as he gets older, he will realize the benefit of living healthy and will set his mind to workout.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
maxxxboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 10,845
Thanked 291 Times in 122 Posts
Let him be and you'll be surprised. He has got to be intrinsically motivated to do such a thing. Without that, he will probably do what you say and end up where he started; fat.

Once he becomes a late teen or adult, then maybe his attitude will change. But right now let him be and ask if he wants to work out but don't force.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Phozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 888 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
^
It's okay, same boat as you are in, working out too



To the OP, you can't do much but tell him workout, why its good to workout, whatll happen if he does or dont, etc. If he doesn't want to, then so be it.

He just needs to find some motivation.. like some above posts. Make fun of him, tell him hes getting fat, and that some of his friends think so too. Bet thatll make him think twice before sitting down with chips in his hand to play COD.
Worked for me at least.

Last edited by Phozy; 10-05-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 3,545 Times in 692 Posts
at his age, his peers are his biggest influence, so i'm guessing he hangs out with a bunch of lazy kids..

i agree with Alar, you should sit down with him and tell him the consequences of being unhealthy.. i don't even know how you can live without being healthy , see what he says and tell us
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Phozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 888 Times in 308 Posts
^straight. With these little kids rolling into high-school, they are all shorter, fatter, and seem dumber than the last grade.
Don't want to make assumptions, but seems like its getting worse every year. So many factors play into that, games are just one. So is eating all the junk food, as its cheap.

Then again, hes 15, he should know well enough already, if he doesn't then i dont know what kind of exposure hes had.

Last edited by Phozy; 10-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
RS controls my life!
 
NJMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 704
Thanked 108 Times in 23 Posts
OP here, Thanks everyone for the advice.

LoL we took away the games when his grades went down, and it worked he's doing better in school.

I'm gonna see how things go in the next few months. I dont want to attack him for being fat I think he gets enough of that already from others. For now I will continue to ask him to join me and if he ever says yes i'll be sure to make it an enjoyable and enlightening experience for him. I guess the most i can do for now is try to feed him good stuff and keep the tv off.

I've talked to him about consequences and he doesnt respond to it, I think he gets the idea but I just dont know how to motivate him.
__________________
Internet's good for er'rybody


Rs feedback!
NJMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
Summertime Sadness
 
LSF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,601
Thanked 2,910 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
^straight. With these little kids rolling into high-school, they are all shorter, fatter, and seem dumber than the last grade.
Don't want to make assumptions, but seems like its getting worse every year. So many factors play into that, games are just one. So is eating all the junk food, as its cheap.

Then again, hes 15, he should know well enough already, if he doesn't then i dont know what kind of exposure hes had.

Noticed that too!! lol
__________________
LSF22 (1-0-0)

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 3,545 Times in 692 Posts
leave a motivational video on his computer on front of the screen when he goes for a bathroom break or something
Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,022
Thanked 17,637 Times in 5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
I think he needs to be educated on why he should be exercising because if people are just gonna say "you should go because you're fat" or something..it's not gonna work. I wouldn't use the forceful approach because like some people said..he probably already knows he's overweight and is lacking the confidence to do something about it.

Educate him with videos (Supersize Me of the likes) and provide him the sources to hit the gym/work out when he DOES come around. I'm glad he has support like you because if he didnt it'd be a lot harder to do.
I don't want to fail you, but SuperSize Me should never be shown to anyone, except as preparation to watching FatHead, so you know how wrong the first movie was.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,397
Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Working out isn't gonna help him lose weight. He needs cardio.

Also, tell him girls don't like fat fucks.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Also don't stress out too much. He's only 15. Old enuff to know what's right and wrong, but he doesn't have the life experience yet to forecast what changes he needs to do. I'm sure when he's a bit older, 17 or 18, and his friends are working out, that will give him a change of mind.

And yea, don't call him fat. That will just make him go for comfort food lol (speaking from experience).
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #25
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOREVER View Post
I made fun of my brother, calling him pinner and such. Now he goes to the gym with me... however he doesn't listen to me or do what I do and freestyle it...

But try making fun of him, and then mention how you can help him solve that problem by going to the gym and such
I don't think making fun of him is the greatest idea. Sure maybe your brother took it and decided to change his lifestyle, but not everyone's going to react the same.
What if his brother takes it poorly and does the opposite? Like the OP said, he probably gets it enough from other people, doesn't need to hear that shit from his own brother.
insomniaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net