REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Cheapest way to own a Cooper S for 3 years?

I'm interested in getting a Cooper S and was wondering if fellow members could give me some tips or advice.

I'm only planning to keep this car for a maximum of 3 years, so it doesn't matter whether it's brand new or used. Also, I usually only drive on the weekends.

What would be the cheapest way to own one for 3 years? Manual and automatic is fine for me, though I prefer manual.

Thanks.
Advertisement
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Zipcar Vancouver - Zipcar is easier than Vancouver car rental and car ownership
or
http://www.modo.coop/find

This is the cheapest way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Hyde's Understudy

Zipcar and modo doesnt offer the cooper S. Only regular cooper.

OP: How much were you looking to spend monthly? I can see if i can get you into one in your budget since you don't seem to picky as long as it's a Cooper S.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
What would be the cheapest way to own one for 3 years?

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Jim-Lockout-Tool-Set/dp/B0002TW2IC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1321571030&sr=8-10
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
i'd lease one so you dont have to worry about major maintenances

if you buy used, it may be cheaper initially but coopers are known to have problems, so you'll MAYBE end up paying more cuz of maintenances and stuff
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Sorry to sound blunt but did you try using the finance/lease tool on the mini website? Configure one and punch in your downpayment (if any) in the tool and it'll tell you how much it costs. Take that and compare it with used coopers on craigslist or on the mini site. They have an awesome search engine on the mini site. If you get used, you can get an estimate of how much your used mini is worth by using blackbook since you probably wanna sell it after 3.

www.mini.ca/
www.canadianblackbook.com/
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Date a mini s girl ?

yokomo930 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

just lease the car and hand it back to them at the end of 3 year term, end of story
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

pretty obvious?

lease and get out?

GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

plus, if you own your own business or use & insure the vehicle for work, you might be able to write off each lease payment as a taxable expense.. talk to your accountant.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #11

I tried the configurator on the the MINI website, and I would end up paying close to $20k over 3 years.

I don't think there's any way I could lose $20k if I just bought a used MINI and sell it back out after 3 years. Hence, I'm asking for opinions and options.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,035 Times in 548 Posts
Well like others said, it might be a mini but the maintenance is like a BMW so be prepared?

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
I tried the configurator on the the MINI website, and I would end up paying close to $20k over 3 years.

I don't think there's any way I could lose $20k if I just bought a used MINI and sell it back out after 3 years. Hence, I'm asking for opinions and options.
No one can predict the future and it's always a gamble, but you may be surprised how much you may end up spending on an used boosted mini.. assuming you are dumping it after 3 years.

I have never owned one, but have bought and sold several used German vehicles that were just out of warranty and seemed like a deal when I bought them....hence my above comment.

Think the following:
1. Big ticket wear and tear items (tires, brakes, etc.)
2. Bigger factory scheduled maintenance items that are not usually needed in the first 3 years (like trans fluid, coolant, brake service, etc.)
3. Out of warranty repairs
(on a 3-year lease of new car you may not have to worry about the above, unless you don't fit the norm)

4. Any ICBC claims, even if you are not at fault, are records that will drive
the resale value of your car down... more than you think ! If you lease, you don't own it and it's car manufacturer's problem.

5. Financial opportunity cost .... depending on how you plan to pay for the used Mini S... this amount may vary.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:

Well lets see...

A new 2012 MCS with 0 options is $28950 + freight/PDI and tax. For round numbers you can estimate this to be $34,000 out of pocket. After 3 years, I estimate it's probably worth around $18,500 based on the prices of 08s now (also 3 years old). Since you cannot recoup any tax, you are out of pocket $15,500. You also have to deal with selling the car and come up with the $34,000 in the first place.

If you lease it with 0 down, according to Mini's website, the payment is $496.15... $496 x 36 = $17,856. The residual they specify is $13,606 which seems pretty low to me... to buy it out you will have to pay $13,606 + HST = $15,238... good chance you can get $18,500 and then your total cost to own it will be $17,856 + $15,238 - $18,500 = $14,594.

The MAX it can cost you is $17,856 no matter how shitty the market on Minis becomes since you can always return it. There is also a good chance that it will cost you less than that since there will probably be some equity in it at the end. It also potentially can be written off depending if you have the ability to do so. For me, that would definitely sway the decision towards leasing for me - in the worst case scenario it only costs me 15% more and in the best case scenario it costs me less. I also have the ability to get out of it with a single phone call after 36 months if that is important to you.

Obviously all these numbers are estimates but I think there is also some ability to barter with the residual so the lease may look even more attractive then.

Mark
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Just sign to an open end lease = much lower payment
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #16

So you guys are all against getting a used one?

I did a quick search on craigslist and I can easily get a used one for less than 17k. It's a weekend car which means I don't drive it that often, so even if there's a problem with the car, I can always sell it back out and lose a 1-2k.

I'm not too familiar with owning a European car, and I was thinking I could own one for 3 years for 5k? (as in sell it out and lose 5k on it). Please let me know if I'm not being realistic. I really don't know how much it would cost.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Hyde's Understudy

What model year do u want? Turbo or supercharged?
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:

I did a quick search on craigslist and I can easily get a used one for less than 17k. It's a weekend car which means I don't drive it that often, so even if there's a problem with the car, I can always sell it back out and lose a 1-2k.

I'm not too familiar with owning a European car, and I was thinking I could own one for 3 years for 5k? (as in sell it out and lose 5k on it). Please let me know if I'm not being realistic. I really don't know how much it would cost.
You are not being realistic. At that price range you are looking at 4 year old out of warranty mini S with over 100K kms, or older ones with less mileage. If I were to guess you will lose $3K a year in depreciation. $2K a year on repair/maintenance/etc., in addition to fuel/insurance/license/etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:

FFS. Did you even look at blackbook? I threw in a query for a 2010 Mini Cooper S with no add-ons. 20k on the odometer, 20k of driving per year.

Current trade-in value: 21,000
2015 trade-in value: 10,200

Mini's site is selling them for around 28,000-30,000.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:

you will lose more than 5k in 3 years.

The ones that sell for 17K are non certified, high K's, previous gen cooper S.
I highly advise you to get a certified MINI next if you want warranty.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Lease or go used. If you buy new you WILL lose a big chunk of money.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote