REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
is this a scam? credit card calling me from blocked number

i just got a canadian tire card a month ago... this idiot keeps calling me everyday on blocked number and i finaly picked it up... he says he is calling from canadian tire credit card and blah blah blah blah, he was kinda fob so i didnt totaly understand him but he did ask me for my verification questions for a "test"... i asked him didnt i put this stuff in already on the site?? then he said this is just for a test to verify... i instantly think wtf i put it in the site already why are they asking me must be scam... why would canadian tire hire some fillipino that cannot speak proper english.. i told them straight up you called me on a block number and i dont know if you are canadian tire or not so i am not going to say it... he said ok thank you blah blah blah bye bye or something like that..

if it is the scam how the f*** did they get my phone number and address?? i am scared now i have a high cash limit...

i have been wondering if the scammers got my password/pin number and used it this cannot be disputed because they used my password right? if this is right then i will lower my limit...

just hoping someone else signed up for canadian tire credit card and got the same call and know if they are scammers or not
Advertisement
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Gnomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,359
Thanked 659 Times in 201 Posts
Got a call half an hour ago too. Blocked number from PC financial. Asked me for my postal code and DOB for verification so they can follow up with my account. Lad had perfect english too.

I told them - "how about you give me what DOB you have on file, and I will tell u my postal code". The lady said she cannot give personal info over the phone. She will create a call log and tell me I can call the number on the back of my PC card to resume follow up.

Seemed legit but I'm not risking giving my info to a blocked number.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS
 
trancehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,362
Thanked 743 Times in 363 Posts
dont feel pressured when someone is calling YOU and asking for confidential info. you could always hang up, and call a verified number to double check what is going on.
__________________
Quote:

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 25,387
Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,847 Posts
u guys are new to credit cards huh?

happens alll the time and theyre only trying to sell u shit just hang up
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
i just called canadian tire fraud line.. they told me noone has been trying to contact me and if they did a number should show up so probably is scammer....

i asked the dude if someone some how got my pinpassword and my credit card number and used it and bought something for say $5000(example price), i am wondering if i can get my money back or not because it wasnt me that bought it but a scammer that had my pin password and stuff..... he couldnt answer my question, all he said is there is no way someone can get my pin number if i never wrote it down or anything, and he also said its up to the investigators to see if i can get my money back or not...
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
yeah im still not sure if i should lower my credit card limit or not, i kind of want to just incase somehow i do get scammed out and they are not able to refund me the money...

if someone ever did get credit card scammed and was not refunded post here your story please. or even if you did get scammed and were refunded let me know. would like to know how common this is
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Prince of the Apes
 
bloodmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2,469
Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
if you have to ask this on RS you dont deserve a credit card..
__________________
There's times in life where I want a relationship, but then I cum.
Quote:
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
you think everyone is smart enough to know everything?? that is why there are forums.. dont post here if all you have is useless information
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Prince of the Apes
 
bloodmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2,469
Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
you think everyone is smart enough to know everything?? that is why there are forums.. dont post here if all you have is useless information
you could of googled it and use some common sense.. a big company such as canadian tire would'nt call on a blocked number.
__________________
There's times in life where I want a relationship, but then I cum.
Quote:
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
i did google but if you read my post i wanted to know if i can get reimbursed if someone used my password to buy something... i still cant find this answer anywhere..
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
I don't get it
 
bloodline129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 433
Thanked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Yes u can. It would be a hassle but if you didn't make the purchase and the identity has been compromised. The card will get wiped out after investigation n all that
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
MWR34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: richmond
Posts: 1,381
Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
i just called canadian tire fraud line.. they told me noone has been trying to contact me and if they did a number should show up so probably is scammer....

i asked the dude if someone some how got my pinpassword and my credit card number and used it and bought something for say $5000(example price), i am wondering if i can get my money back or not because it wasnt me that bought it but a scammer that had my pin password and stuff..... he couldnt answer my question, all he said is there is no way someone can get my pin number if i never wrote it down or anything, and he also said its up to the investigators to see if i can get my money back or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
yeah im still not sure if i should lower my credit card limit or not, i kind of want to just incase somehow i do get scammed out and they are not able to refund me the money...

if someone ever did get credit card scammed and was not refunded post here your story please. or even if you did get scammed and were refunded let me know. would like to know how common this is
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
i did google but if you read my post i wanted to know if i can get reimbursed if someone used my password to buy something... i still cant find this answer anywhere..
If you are asking specifically, if someone somehow got your card number and PIN, then the answer is Yes, you will be refunded.

the reason is, If they only have your number, all they can do is a manual entry or over the phone transaction. A number like the 16 digits on the front of your creditcard cannot equal a legitimate swiping card.

And also, if your card was Skimmed by a magnetic reader, they will have your magnetic info, which can be duplicated to another card, but once again, if you have a chip card(which I assume you do since you say you have a PIN to enter), most stores that accept visa/master, ask to insert your chip, or swipe then insert chip. Its not like the old school debit, where you swipe and enter in 4-6 digits.. you have to swipe/insert chip, wait a sec for the terminal to verify your chip info, then enter password that is enbedded in the chip to verify.

Since the chip technology cannot be cloned, there is no password to enter on the illegal card, because all the information they might can skimmed or cloned from your card, cannot activate the chip process, and continue to ask for your PIN. meaning, no one can copy your CHIP portion of your card, therefore it cannot come to the point of asking and entering your PIN. Even if they have a dummy card, with a chip on it, it cannot match your personal info, so the PIN entry will be invalid.


BUT if you lost your card, or lent it to a friend, it will work. but they know this already and will hold you responsible for the transaction... because they know it was your card that was used and your PIN.

capiche?
__________________
Out of all the things i've lost before, I miss my mind the most.


http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
^ so pretty much there is no way to scam you without the actual real card that i have in my wallet because you need the actual chip inbeded into the card. well there are ways like credit card cheques(number at bottom) that they mail you all the time but that can easily be disputed/refunded. probably much more other ways to. yeah i just wanted to get this straight, i am always scared of being frauded, i was in the police station a while ago and there was a couple in there because they have been frauded like 14,000 dollars or something if i heard that right.. and if there is anyway to be frauded and non-refunded then i shall lower my limit.. but i guess i will not have to do that.
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
& Associates Inc.
 
ruthless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 1,631
Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR34 View Post
If you are asking specifically, if someone somehow got your card number and PIN, then the answer is Yes, you will be refunded.

the reason is, If they only have your number, all they can do is a manual entry or over the phone transaction. A number like the 16 digits on the front of your creditcard cannot equal a legitimate swiping card.

And also, if your card was Skimmed by a magnetic reader, they will have your magnetic info, which can be duplicated to another card, but once again, if you have a chip card(which I assume you do since you say you have a PIN to enter), most stores that accept visa/master, ask to insert your chip, or swipe then insert chip. Its not like the old school debit, where you swipe and enter in 4-6 digits.. you have to swipe/insert chip, wait a sec for the terminal to verify your chip info, then enter password that is enbedded in the chip to verify.

Since the chip technology cannot be cloned, there is no password to enter on the illegal card, because all the information they might can skimmed or cloned from your card, cannot activate the chip process, and continue to ask for your PIN. meaning, no one can copy your CHIP portion of your card, therefore it cannot come to the point of asking and entering your PIN. Even if they have a dummy card, with a chip on it, it cannot match your personal info, so the PIN entry will be invalid.


BUT if you lost your card, or lent it to a friend, it will work. but they know this already and will hold you responsible for the transaction... because they know it was your card that was used and your PIN.

capiche?
not completely right, at work if the chip cannot be read 3 times then we can swipe the card(magnetic stripe)
Many scammers have already cracked the chip
__________________
Ruthless and Associates Inc ©
Serving Revscene proudly since 2008
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 11,317
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,227 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. Like StylinRed said they're just calling to try and sell you insurance for your credit card. Tell them you don't need it because you don't plan on paying the debt back dead or alive and hang up.
__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Don't sweat the small stuff. Like StylinRed said they're just calling to try and sell you insurance for your credit card. Tell them you don't need it because you don't plan on paying the debt back dead or alive and hang up.
im pretty sure they were scammers, i called the canadiantire fraud line and the guy checked up to see if any of the canadiantire guys were trying to contact me, he said there was noone that was trying to get a hold of me for anything and even if so it shouldnt be private. the scammers asked if i wanted to enter my email address, i said no, they asked to just for a test which city i was from which was pretty shady, i didnt say. also i couldnt understand him fully because of his accent which makes me think even more he is a scammer. only reason i was waiting on the line for is if there was anything important to tell me or trying to sell me insurance crap i dont need but i didnt get that, all i got were questions being asked about my personal info and other useless info that i wasnt interested in or already knew..

they do have my address and confirmed it to me, i have no idea how they got it, i am still paranoid after this guy calling me, he has my address and phone number what else does he have.. i didnt answear any of his questions he asked me though.. i did some research online and from what i read they say the banks should not ask you for any info since they know it all and clearly the scammers that called me on the block number asked for my email address and the security question answer for which city was i born in, again i didnt answer them cause after those questions it made me beleive it was a scam
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 11,317
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,227 Posts
The people who sell insurance don't work for Canadian tire or the Credit card company's they are 3rd party. It could be a scam but I'd be surprised if they wern't selling something.
__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
DanHibiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,854
Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
People try to do these scams with phone companies too. Was in the car with my sister when she got a call from "Rogers" asking for personal info.
__________________
GO Canucks GO!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .


xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)
 
therubberguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 508
Thanked 39 Times in 22 Posts
i know for a fact that mbna has a company working for them to get people to sign up for the payment protection and insurance. they call all the time, sometimes it'll be on a blocked number. if you call mbna too see if anyone from mbna has tried contacted you they'd say no to because its there insurance company doing the calls and they have no access to it. not sure if canadian tire credit cards works the same way. but possibly a similar situation
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
well i sure hope the people that called me were not scammers, but from the convo we had it made me really beleive he was.. at the end of the phone call when i said "how do i really know you are canadian tire if you called blocked number, i dont want to give out my info because who knows if you could be a scammer" then all he said was ok that is completely fine and ended the phone call with his goodbye finishing lines(forgot what he said)

if he was really a true canadian tire worker wouldnt he some how try to convince me that he really did work for canadian tire? maybe give me a number i can call back at or search up on or give me some proof
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therubberguard View Post
i know for a fact that mbna has a company working for them to get people to sign up for the payment protection and insurance. they call all the time, sometimes it'll be on a blocked number. if you call mbna too see if anyone from mbna has tried contacted you they'd say no to because its there insurance company doing the calls and they have no access to it. not sure if canadian tire credit cards works the same way. but possibly a similar situation
i actualy just got a mbna card right after my canadian tire card, i got a call from mbna for their insurance options and they didnt ask me for any personal information(if i remember right).. they totaly sounded legit also perfect accent, unblocked number. they called just shortly after i activated the mbna card also. for crappy tire it took a month maybe a bit more to get this call.. maybe it is an insurance sale since they never called me asking for it. well i did get a voice mail shortly after i activated it(ct card) but i never called them back.. hopefuly i made sense, i had a super long day and i am super tired..
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Any legit company will tell you if you feel insecure about answering these verification questions you can call the number on the back of your card and ask for blah blah blah and then they will connect you back to the same person.

If they don't then definitely people trying to look for your information.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: van
Posts: 258
Thanked 211 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
Any legit company will tell you if you feel insecure about answering these verification questions you can call the number on the back of your card and ask for blah blah blah and then they will connect you back to the same person.

If they don't then definitely people trying to look for your information.
this is what he must of said in the very beginning of the call, i remember he said something about calling the back of the credit card...

so maybe he was legit? sure sounded like a scam to me though, i would think they would hire a guy with proper english to make phone calls to customers.
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
MWR34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: richmond
Posts: 1,381
Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
not completely right, at work if the chip cannot be read 3 times then we can swipe the card(magnetic stripe)
what you said is a flaw aswell. a card with a purposely dead chip would be in the scammers favour, to allow you to fall back to the magnetic stripe and proceed with the transaction in his favour. Now it doesnt need a PIN to enter etc...
__________________
Out of all the things i've lost before, I miss my mind the most.


http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,867
Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Had a call from someone saying they were from VISA security and wanted to talk about transactions on my card. Told them nothing after asking their name. Called the 800 number on my statement and they confirmed the call was legit, confirmed the caller's identity and the transaction was completed. NEVER give ANYBODY ANY info over the phone. Check first with the nuumbers on your cardholder agreement and talk to them.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net