REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
i never get telemarketing calls on my cell, ever, but the home line is a diff story

and dont be stupid people, banks/credit card companies will never need to call you, so when one claims they are, hang up asap please

or you can just do this for shits and giggles

Advertisement
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #52
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Been getting a call from fucking Texas for the past 2-3 weeks

210-301-0307

Fuckers
Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
That might be the fog horn one haha, I've been getting that one at least 3-4 times a week.
yup it is, I don't even know why I bother picking up. As soon as I hear the horn, I hang up
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Where's the sauce on cell numbers going public? Because this rumor gets refreshed every other year it seems. But if I recall, BCRDukes is in the industry, which is why I didn't dismiss it as a stupid legend originally, and shared it on my facebook...

So BCRD please share some more info
Bump
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #54
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
I'm already getting calls about winning cruise tickets today...haha
same. that actually started for me in November.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #55
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

explain the foghorn call?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #56
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Bump
I don't really want to get into the nitty gritty of this (for many reasons, you can PM me) but this is the short and simple answer:

Telemarketers have the ability to purchase this information from cell phone companies, telephone companies and what have you (aka other various sources like phone book databases etc.) They will pay a price for this information and will get what they want which is why I encouraged people to put their numbers onto the Do Not Call list.

I know some of you did your duty of Googling and concluded it was a hoax. It isn't. Again, that's just the simple answer. Some of you mentioned that you received more telemarketing calls after signing up. Well, bad news for you. You must have, at one point, given your number out to somebody, some where, at some time, and at some place. It's as simple as that. And once that telemarketer got their hands onto that list of phone numbers, they will keep calling you.

I've registered my entire family's phones onto the DNCL. Has it worked? Yes. I even unlisted my land line number (I know, ghetto) and it made a huge difference. The house is quiet now.

Just a tip for all of you: When you go to a store or go out shopping, never ever fucking give your real phone number out! Make up a bullshit number or give your enemy's number. Hell, don't even give them your real address! If it's a reputable store, ask the sales associate if your information is protected or not and/or if it is shared. If it is, simply decline. And don't go singing up for those stupid "WIN ME!" contests for a free ice cream or whatever it is. Your information will be sold! Be prepared to give out a fake phone number and address. Hell, I don't even like telling Ikea what my postal code is at check out!

As for those of you getting calls with the fog horn. Seriously. Don't pick up the phone especially when it's a "Private Number" or a number you do not recognize. I cannot stress that enough. These are automated computer aided dialers that will dial the full 10K of each NPA-NXX. What I mean by that is, they will take an area code (i.e. 604) and an NPA (i.e. 251) and dial every number in the 604-251 range (i.e. 604-251-0000 to 604-251-9999.) They will continue going on and on and on and if you don't pick up, it will realize after some time that the number does not exist or it is not in service. The computer doesn't know any better so please DO NOT answer the phone! You will thank me later.

Have a nice day.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

^what do you mean unlisted your landline?

i have an intercom for when people come over to apartment and it's new and is technically a landline. that's the only place i seem to get some telemarketers. i wonder if i can eliminate them somehow on that...
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #58
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
^what do you mean unlisted your landline?
You can pay your phone company a small free ($2/month IIRC) to have your phone book entry unlisted from their online database and the white pages.

Your phone number is otherwise listed by default. This does not apply to wireless phones.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #59
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I have recently changed 2 numbers bout 6 months ago. I now get telemarketers calling me at least 5 times a week on both numbers. I am very careful with my number and never give it out. I even give my banks the wrong number to avoid their shitty insurance calls. I think rogers has sold their cell phone lists to telemarketers cause it makes no sense otherwise..... fuckin aggravating
Topgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #60
RS Veteran

The person who owned your phone number gave it out.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #61
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
I've been getting cruise ship winning calls for years, but only a couple and those stopped a long time ago. I think because my cell number is so old and from a company that barely exists anymore, so I'm probably one of very few people left whose number has that NPA

This morning I got a text from a UK e-mail address telling me I won a $2,500,000 grant and to e-mail my cell number back to that e-mail address to claim it
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 12-10-2011 at 09:19 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote