REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #9426
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Not only do you have to start somewhere, you have to keep going, and never stop
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #9427
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
^Enjoy your beginners XP.... tremendous gains
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #9428
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
at the gym today one of the trainers said the 2 idiots that i post on here all the time about that are always grunting and wearing straps and belts for tri extensions and shit broke an olympic bar by loading 9 plates per side on it (855lbs) to try to do shrugs and dropped it and it landed on one side first and bent the shit out of it.

strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #9429
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
First and foremost, contrary to what most people probably assume, I am actually quite the pinner. I am 5'8", and 135lbs.

With that out of the way.. After a long break, I've been going back to the gym during the past month, but feel lost.

My goal is to gain some muscle, but at the same time, I want to get rid of my belly.

During the past year, I was pretty much eating without much concern. I just wanted to gain weight, and being ignorant just assumed that I should eat everything in site. This in the end has resulted in me with a bit of a belly. Yes, skinny with a belly. I'm very self-conscious about it.

Now the thing is that I want to get rid of the belly, so I've been doing cardio like running and jump rope. But at the same time, if I want to gain weight, it's not really helping my cause, right?

So I guess, what do you guys recommend I should do? I really hate my belly, but I don't really want to lose too much weight.

EDIT: Forgot to state my long term goal. I guess it would have to be lean and defined, not big but not too skinny.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 10-18-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #9430

You should do something like what I am doing. I got myself into a similar situation after 4 months of binging on crap after a bout of depression. Since starting 4 weeks ago, I have melted inches of fat away off my belly, and have been gaining weight ever since.

Look through some of my posts. Intermittent Fasting (specifically Leangains plan) + 3 full body workouts a week (moderate weight FAST explosive reps) + 3 HIIT sessions after each workout.

Weights are always 1 push, 1 pull, and a variation of a squat or deadlift, and some ab work. For instance, dips, chins, squats, reverse crunches. Start with 10 mins of HIIT, add 1 min each week. HIIT intervals are 45 seconds low, 15 seconds sprint. For me, that gets my heart rate moving from 160 to 175 for each interval on the bike.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #9431
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Thanks a lot. I will take a look later.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #9432
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
This talk about bent Olympic bars got me Googling, and I found this article: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/h...bar_part_i.pdf

This letter sent to the writer made me cringe a bit:
Quote:
Tom,
Great job with the article. In 1968 I had an experience similar to the Russian lifter
with an Eleiko bar that broke next to the sleeve. I dropped a 270 pound snatch
from the overhead position. When the barbell hit the lifting platform, the bar
broke and the jagged end of the bar swung up and just grazed the end of my
nose. Lucky the bar didn't hit the side of my head or take my nose off. Peary
Rader (Iron Man magazine) who sold bars at the time for Eleiko replaced the bar.
When you get a chance, give me a call.
Osmo Kiiha, Editor, The Ironmaster
Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #9433
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
My goal is to gain some muscle, but at the same time, I want to get rid of my belly.

During the past year, I was pretty much eating without much concern. I just wanted to gain weight, and being ignorant just assumed that I should eat everything in site. This in the end has resulted in me with a bit of a belly. Yes, skinny with a belly. I'm very self-conscious about it.

Now the thing is that I want to get rid of the belly, so I've been doing cardio like running and jump rope. But at the same time, if I want to gain weight, it's not really helping my cause, right?

So I guess, what do you guys recommend I should do? I really hate my belly, but I don't really want to lose too much weight.
You can definitely do both at the same time with something like intermittent fasting with a calorie surplus, basic compound lifts (Squat, DL, bench), and some HIIT thrown in.

I would focus on bulking up now with a calorie surplus and minimal cardio, then come Feb/March-ish start cutting but still lift so you will maintain muscle but have less belly come summer 2012.

I started very similarly from you, I was low-140 at 5'8" but skinny-fat about a year and a half ago. I started bulking about two springs ago, and got up to 160 at my max (around last Nov/Dec) but with a belly bulge, almost no abs, and was puffy due to water retention with Creatine.

In March I started cutting by doing IF, an EC stack and still lifting; got down to 148 with around 10%-12% BF. Got off the EC stack and bulked back up a bit by doing IF and got back up to 150 for the summer while still at ~12% BF.

It's far from the size that most guys in this thread have/are working toward, but compared to the average person it's definitely "athletic" looking... I've even been called 'ripped' before LOL.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 10-18-2011 at 08:07 AM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #9434
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Hey Guys,

Ive been doing HIITS with weight lifting for about 3months now and have seen some awesome fat burn. Im at the end of my hiit program now and have started a new lifting program that's mainly for strength gain and muscle gain.

Reading on multiple articles i see that i shouldn't be mixing HIIT's with strength gain programs as HIITS have a high chance of diminishing my strength//muscle gains.

Question is, what do you guys think i should do? Im about 5'6-5'7, i was at 240pounds last may. As of today i've hit 184. (keep in mind i am on a low carb diet and the only source of carbs im getting are from vegetables). What do you think would be more beneficiary for me as i still wanna lose more weight but i also wanna gain strength. Im thinking i might drop the HIIT'S but do my regular strength training program while adding in a plyometric program that consist of

Spoiler!

What do you guys think? any feedback would be great and thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #9435
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Showed up at my new jobsite for the next 6+ months.
As much food as I can eat for free. The gym is also nicer then my gym at home
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #9436
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #9437
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Does anyone else here take creatine with green tea? I've been trying it and I get a super upset stomach ... anything to remedy this? Usually have it after breakfast which is eggs + toast + protein shake
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #9438
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
fuck running out of carbs half way thru a workout feels shittyyyyyyYYY
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #9439
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
First and foremost, contrary to what most people probably assume, I am actually quite the pinner. I am 5'8", and 135lbs.

With that out of the way.. After a long break, I've been going back to the gym during the past month, but feel lost.

EDIT: Forgot to state my long term goal. I guess it would have to be lean and defined, not big but not too skinny.
Focus on your diet and lifting heavy weights.

Ditch the cardio. If you really want to do cardio, go for a one hour walk. Yes a walk, not a run.

Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health: July 2009
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #9440
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
^ why walk?
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #9441
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Fat burn. Low intensity steady state training (LISS).

Quote:
3. That last poit (sic) is very important. Even though you burn more calories in less than half the amount of time compared to, for example, brisk walking, HIIT is very draining on the central nervous system. In stark contrast to lower intensity cardio, which you can do for a much longer time, with much greater frequency. For someone interested in fat loss and strength maintenance, and not metabolic conditioning primarily, including HIIT too frequently is playing with fire.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #9442
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Interesting!

Alright another noob question:

I know it totally defeats the purpose of their full body program but I want to take the concept of Rippetoe SS/ SL 5x5 of progressive loading of low reps and use it in a split format, Legs/Chest/Back - M/W/F.
Monday for example, I'd focus on squats, wed: bench, friday: dead lift + rows. I'd do 3x5 of these core lifts and do 3-4 more isolation exercises ie. calf raises, skull crushers, bb curls. What should the set/reps be for these "accessory" exercises?

Goal: Strength and as a side effect, mass gain
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #9443
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,388 Times in 189 Posts
1995 Nissan 240sx SE
2000 Honda Civic DX hatch
1995 Acura Integra GSR
1993 Honda Civic dx hatch
1997 Acura Integra Type-R
1990 Nissan 240sx hatch
1988 Nissan 300zx-T SS
1992 Honda Civic si hatch
1997 Honda Civic cx hatch
1992 Honda Civic dx hatch
1991 Nissan 240sx se coupe
1986 Honda Accord EXR sedan
Jordanl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #9444
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
green tea with creatine is perfect
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #9445

Super heavy day 2 today - Front Squats, Inclince DB Press, and Barbell Rows at 90% RM. I will probably try the smith machine for the rows

Then comes 2nd pigout day! Not sure what I want to eat yet, now that my ribs craving is over. I don't have any other cravings... just so used to eating grilled meat + veggies all the time now

Maybe just grab a 'sizzling grill' set somewhere - pork chop, chicken steak, steak, sausage, and bacon all in one dish
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #9446
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
so I joined a gym... so damn crowded at 8pm
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #9447

Yeah I just dropped by my gym to use the bathroom at 8pm and HOLY FUCK what a fucken gong show. When I go there is never more than 12 people, always the same faces too, and no goons at all.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #9448

Also holy shit, I forgot how hungry you get after a heavy day. I probably ate 3000 calories in the 4 hours after my workout

Now I am full and satiated, and can go to sleep and recover for tomorrow
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #9449
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Looks like SC is going to have new squat racks + bounce plates?

By the side wall of the closed off area there was a bar loaded up with what looked like bounce plates. Maybe they'll have an olympic lifting section? Or a cross fit section? I'm pretty excited
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #9450
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Bumper plates?