REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #26
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Having now worked at FS for 6 months and indirectly dealing with a few returns, you'd be surprised at some of the shit people pull.

just off the top of my head i've been given these excuses

1. i bought a case for my ipod, that's protection. I went to bed and when i woke up and there's a crack on the glass!!! i want an exchange.

2. i turned on the tv and the glass just cracked,

3. my tweeter fell off, and no i didn't use the grille for it. Exchange it.

4. The wire just came out of the headphone, i don't know how it happened!

seriously, not everyone at customer service is an asshole, but sometimes stupid shit happens.
That doesn't give any employee the right to be a dick because people pull shit off. They're getting paid to provide customer service and that level shouldn't be a function of how many shitty people they deal with.
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
The PC guys are always tools. Last time I went in with my Father in law to buy a Desktop from BestBuy the dude was like do you wanna pay $100 or whatever amount it was for us to setup the computer for you? I'm like no I'm pretty sure I can manage that on my own and he replied it's not as easy as it seems and you could really mess things up if not done properly.

I'm no computer whiz but I took it home like any other PC, plugged it all in, power on and there's like maybe 1 or 2 simple things to set up and as long as you can read english you can manage it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
some stores seem worse than others
the ones at metrotown are pretty bad imo...and i hear a lot of horror story out of the surrey location (not sure if the central city one or scott road)
surprisingly i just walk a couple minutes to the bestbuy next door and they are generally more pleasant to deal with...the guys at least.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Most the information in this thread is incorrect...

Whether or not there is a 14 day policy in state at certain times is irrelevant, the guy that bought the laptop just recently has, until January 8th, 2012 to make an exchange, refund or price protection.

Secondly, was your laptop sealed? It seems like it was a demo or a returned open box. They might have started to do a restore on it and then didn't end up doing it making it unbootable. All computers should be able to boot into OS from the first time.

Last edited by parm104; 12-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
b92
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Most the information in this thread is incorrect...

Whether or not there is a 14 day policy in state at certain times is irrelevant, the guy that bought the laptop just recently has until January 8th, 2012 to make an exchange, refund or price protection.

Secondly, was your laptop sealed? It seems like it was a demo or a returned open box. They might have started to do a restore on it and then didn't end up doing it making it unbootable. All computers should be able to boot into OS from the first time.
what makes them incorrect? I believe we experienced these scenarios.
b92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #31

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
After getting screwed twice by their extended warranties and having an FS salesdroid LIE TO MY FACE about it, I vowed never to give them another cent of my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Yeah, their extended warranties are a joke. Most extended warranties are jokes!
I've been sucked once. Never again.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
what makes them incorrect? I believe we experienced these scenarios.
...I addressed and corrected the incorrect information in my post already...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Take it back, it's not working, get a new one. It's an Acer, I wouldn't be surprised if it came like that from the factory.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I work at Future Shop and yes, some people are douches because the warranties and the setup pay more commission then just selling the product by itself, so of course they are gonna push it.

Just take the laptop back and ask to talk to a manager and they will exchange it on spot no questions asked.

And the thing with them racing to the front to say they helped, some headphones can pay anywhere from $20+ and that is quite a lot for talking to someone for 5 minutes, every cent counts, so of course people are going to race for the commission instead of it going unclaimed.
TRDeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeol View Post
some headphones can pay anywhere from $20+ and that is quite a lot for talking to someone for 5 minutes, every cent counts, so of course people are going to race for the commission instead of it going unclaimed.
just goes to show how overpriced certain headphones are
if it wasn't for their 50% off high-end headphones 2 weeks ago i would be laughing at this post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #37

Well take for example the Monster [beats, they are $349.99 at regular and were on sale for $249.99, which is only 15 dollars above cost, but that still paid $20 for each set sold.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

same here, i was also straight up lied to by one of the employees at metro. and when i asked for a supervisor to hear my story they straight up lied saying there is no one in even tho i KNOW i saw one minutes earlier.

i still buy from futureshop.... with extreme prejudice.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #39
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Well take for example the Monster [beats, they are $349.99 at regular and were on sale for $249.99, which is only 15 dollars above cost, but that still paid $20 for each set sold.
So FS loses money every time they sell a pair of Beats? Cost must be a lie....they can't be that dumb..?
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #40

no...the cost is 235, so when it was on SALE it was only 15 bucks above cost. All monster stuff is way above cost because monster overprices shit
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #41
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

my 89 dollar shure headphones sound better than beats
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
no...the cost is 235, so when it was on SALE it was only 15 bucks above cost. All monster stuff is way above cost because monster overprices shit
And you know the real costs including the manufacture kickbacks they get?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #43

the cost prices are the ones the manafacturer supplies to the company, they can change but that is only if the manfacturer decides to change them. For all I know, the cost of the product is probably super low but they give us these costs and we base prices off of them.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
In futureshop, you can do a return within 30 days no questions asked (even if it works fine). So just return it, and then buy another.
14 days on computer related stuff

Turnover rate for staff is so high there. Not all staff are bad, but most really don't know very much. During Xmas they just mass hire people. Most know nothing. Maybe have a slight interest but not a pro. It's not like they pay people that well, nor do they spend to time and money to actually train people. The ones that usually know stuff are the ones that have worked there for many years.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 12-08-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

I absolutely hate it when people take advantage of other people. Having worked at FS myself, I really couldn't stand the fact my co-workers would take advantage of some really good people. Fucking hate that company.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Two words, memory express, have experienced nothing but outstanding customer service from these guys. (I am in no way associated) I bought a cheap gateway laptop last year from them but I turned down the free setup because I wanted it right away, half a year down the road my hard drive fucks up and I bring it back and they dealt with everything for me (including the fact that I didn't have a backup disk). Wasn't charged anything for the repairs and they also called me several times to tell me things like, part is coming in on xx date, work has begun and will finish by xx day, it's ready for pickup, etc.

Thoroughly impressed with their expertise and customer service and would gladly recommend them to a friend, also the price beat guarantee is nice too. The way they handled the warranty claim was better than Apple when my iphone screen started flickering.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #47
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I've had friends work at future shop and my own opinion of the company has always been inconsistent. I've had experiences where I was not pressured to buy anything, instead educated about potential purchases in the future and left happy. I've also had experiences where I researched the product online and planned to "grab and go" with the product, unfortunately the sales guy tried telling me something else was better (also three times more expensive!) and told me the manufactures warranty wasn't sufficient blah blah.

The way I see it, these sales guy need to make a living and this is their way of doing it. In terms of selling the warranties and services, sure these guys make money off these additions, but it's the manager who is shoving it down these guy's throats.

Just last week, I went to buy replacement speakers for my car. The doors panels, which were already removed was going to be an easy installation. I go to the future shop on Broadway to grab some speakers. I told the sales guy what I needed and he went to grab the speaker from the back. He had to wait for a manager to unlock the storage door so we just chatted about the car. He was calm and demo'ed some subs which I said was unnecessary for myself. The manager arrives, they leave together to grab the speakers.

A couple minutes later, he has the speakers and we go to sales terminal which I'm ready to pay. The manager that opened the door doesn't leave, instead he stands right behind the sales guy. It was making me uncomfortable, I couldn't imagine how the sales guy was feeling. The sales guy looks nervous and uneasy,

"do you want to buy the extended warranty for the spea.."

before he continues, I tell him I'm not interested.

"But they cover more than the manufacturer's warranty and only cost an extra $40, I really recommend it." The sales guy counters.

The manager is still positioned behind him, breathing down his back.

"Nah man I'm good, thanks for the offer."

The sales guy then offers me the installation required for the speakers.

"The doors are already off, I just have to unscrew the speakers and swap these in." I tell him.

"But we have lifetime warranty and if we screw it up, we will fix it." the sales guy replied.

Again, I told him I'll pass.

At the same time, the manager grunts and with a pissed off facial expression walks away.

The tension is fading and I could see the sales guy less nervous.

"I knew you didn't need the installation and warranty. I only offered it because the store hasn't met quota and he said I HAVE to sell it." the sales guy said as he completed the sale.

I told him it's alright and happy just to be out of the store.

With the amount of pressure they encounter day to day from disrespectful customers to number hungry managers, I try to understand why these sales guy resort to tactics us consumers find unethical or down right wrong. At the same time, I don't approve of lying and misinforming those less tech savy. These guys are here to provide a service, some do it well and there's always going to be some bad seeds in the batch. My opinion is if you can find a sales guy who provided great service, who you feel you can trust, just go to him for anything you need.

Regardless of Future Shop, Best Buy, Car Dealership or any customer orientated business. They will be some good sales people that actually care about your needs, but at the same time, there will always be some assholes who just want your money. It just depends who approaches you first.

before TL,DR

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 12-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #48

The managers are different store to store. At my store, they don't breathe down our necks or stand behind us, they just remind us to try and sell it and if we can't then it's ok.

I have people come back to me for stuff out of department and people will go to whoever they are most comfortable with no matter what dept. they are in.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #49

it sucks so many sales person have to resort to these tactics...but i can't say i sympathize for them. Why not sympatheize the managers that are under pressure from head office for not having good numbers? Where does it end?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #50
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
There should be a partition for windows...
ALL PCs bought either comes with a partioned drive with the restore CD or the actual CD.. if not, bring it back and tell them to fuck themselves with the laptop...

INSTALL WINDOWs yourself..

my friend bought a laptop from FS last year.. paid this So-Called Fee and also another fee for installing antivirus after she bought it... WTF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Two words, memory express,
Exactly, if you want a computer or related items, GO to a computer store.. not a store that also sells home appliances.. all FS is missing is the kitchen sink

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 12-08-2011 at 11:04 PM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote