REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #51
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

the fee is them basiclly just setting up windows for you and making a recovery cd which u can make yourself lmao, but imo you can try doing a clean install of the oem os by torrenting it and booting it off a usb and see if the harddrive pops up in the set up. If it does you most likely just needa format the drive within the setup and you're good to gooooo
Advertisement
exdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #52
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
With regards to the warranty I'm always polite at first, no thank you I'm not interested. When they keep pushing I'll start to question them on it. How it obviously is -expected value for me to buy it because if it was positive they wouldn't be selling me it because they'd be losing money.

Then I'll usually end it with, nah it's cool I throw them out after a year or two and buy a new one I have no respect for money. That will usually be followed by a what the fuck look and silence.

It works when people try and sell you something or try and get you to switch over to something as well? "Don't you want to save money?" Are you kidding? I can't spend all the money I have right now, fuck no.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #53
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
There was a reddit thread where an old guy walked into a futureahop and said he wanted "the internet". They sold him an xbox 360 with a shit ton of accessories
Posted via RS Mobile
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #54
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
opened a new one, and surprise surprise it had the normal setup right away.

the last one was new and sealed, im not sure what the hell happened.

the tech told the sales guy that I killed the OS on it, and that we tried to install another OS and failed. My reply, "the laptop comes with 7, what the fuck would I put on it?"

anywho it wasnt a really big deal to return it.

they just gave my friend a lot of bs when he went to exchange it on his own and didnt fully explain return policies to him.

thanks everyone. fuck futureshop retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #55
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've had my fair share of good and bad experiences with Future Shop. the worst, though, was when i was a kid and went in with my dad We bought a cheap coded phone for something like $20. Between the shelf and register we had no less than four different associates and managers try to sell us a $40 replacement plan. After declining three times, my dad told the fourth that if the phone dies he'll simply attach a brick to the phone and throw it though the window of the store. lol. Even though this was at least 15 years ago, it kinda stuck to me about FS and how ruthless some associates are.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #56
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've had my fair share of good and bad experiences with Future Shop. the worst, though, was when i was a kid and went in with my dad We bought a cheap coded phone for something like $20. Between the shelf and register we had no less than four different associates and managers try to sell us a $40 replacement plan. After declining three times, my dad told the fourth that if the phone dies he'll simply attach a brick to the phone and throw it though the window of the store. lol. Even though this was at least 15 years ago, it kinda stuck to me about FS and how ruthless some associates are.
Posted via RS Mobile
lol i just realized your join date said 1982
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
Yeah, their extended warranties are a joke. Most extended warranties are jokes!
I've been sucked once. Never again.
I've had the odd good experience with extended warranties, too.

Example: way back when the PS2 came out, a friend pre-ordered one, then got one through a friend while he was waiting, so we took his pre-order from EB Games in Brentwood Mall. DID NOT buy the extended warranty.

Cut to a little over a year later, the drive starts failing - first won't read games properly, then won't read DVDs, and eventually won't even read CDs. Did some research online and find that this is a very common issue with first-gen PS2s. Contacted Sony, only to be completely given the run around and ultimately talked down to like we were complete fools. In the course of this, my wife got on the phone with the guy, pointed out that she worked in wholesale and so was familiar with the process: that if we HAD bought the extended warranty and took the thing back to the store, the store would simply give us a new one and ship the dead one back to Sony for replacement. The Sony guy insisted that's not how it worked.

So we called the closest EB Games (Lougheed Mall)... despite the PS2 being over a year old and having been bought at a different branch, they sold us the extended warranty ($70)... and then promptly swapped our dead PS2 for a new one. The guy even confirmed, that yes, they would now simply ship it back to Sony, and get a replacement for their stock.

So props to EB Games and their extended warranty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #58
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

futureshop is only worth going to for there sales. ive gone in with my girlfriend a few times and have been completely ignored by the sales people while they hit on my girlfriend (right infront of me) and try and sell her on shit she doesnt need.

a couple months ago we were buying a new laptop and this dirtbag salesguy at the broadway store was trying to push the extended warranty, start up fee and anti-virus installation fees on her for over half an hour. she must have said no atleast 15 times. he literally would not let us leave the store until he had explained every possible reason of why we needed this bs service. what should have been a 10min shopping experience ended up taking over an hour. im not your average customer, i research online and i decide what i want to buy before i enter the store. i know more about computers then anyone in futureshop or bestbuy and i guarantee i can fix any computer faster and better then them.

my cousin was also sucked into one of there extended warrantys on a sony laptop a couple years ago. his os got corrupted with a virus and was having trouble booting. he brought it into the store for a repair and they literally had it for over 6 months saying they needed to send it away for a new motherboard. i went with him to pick it up and they hadnt done anything to the computer, it still had the exact same problem it had when he brought it in and had been sitting on the shelf the whole time. long story short i re-installed his os and his pc was good as new within an hour.

futureshop is a store, its not a specialty store. treat it like your average 7-11 or grocery store where the employees have no idea what they are selling or where it came from and are there mainly for customer service. if you want a computer i highly suggest NCIX or memory express. they know what there selling and they wont try and give you some extended warranty bs. plus they will price match any price you can find.

great sites for price matching are: PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison! and Canadian Deals Community - PriceNetwork.ca. you type in the product name or model number and they will search an online database and give you the lowest price.
mikeinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #59
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2 View Post
larry chu works at future shop... you should ask him for help
no... he got fired around 2 months ago...
SeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #60
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Bought a laptop with a FS guarantee if it breaks down 3 times, they will replace with new one no problem... Shit broke down 3 times irrepairable, within 6 months, took it back they like Oh policy is we replace it when it breaks down AFTER 3 times... me lookin at them i was told its 3 times, it says here, so you mean on the 4th time, dude looks back and literally says "No, but right after err AFTER the 3rd, time"
I looked at everyone around me for a second saw blank looks on every face, shoved the laptop hard over his desk making sure it would hit the ground hard enough to crack the lcd screen, walked right the fck out without saying a word...

Only goos experience i ever have there is when i walk in knowing exactly what i want, walk in and get it and im out... But nvr goin back there again
Posted via RS Mobile
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #61
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
... and I thought I was the one who had a shitty experience with Futureshop.
I bought a Sony MiniDisc player from them a few years ago and something malfunctioned, so I brought the entire unit back for Warranty work. When I got it back, the battery was missing from the player.
It was one of these NH14WM flat batteries:

and so I asked the manager to locate the battery for me, or give me a brand new one. The manager said he'll call me, and he never did. I tried calling and he's always "not in" or "on a break". I didn't bother after a few weeks.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #62
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
It's not a scam, really. It's there because people are stupid. They have setup fees for PS3s and Xbox which are basically plugging in a couple of cables. The $100 setup fee basically charges for turning on the laptop and pressing Next a few times.

No, a laptop should work out of the box. If it doesn't, paying those idiot techs at FS $100 isn't going to fix it.

It's not a scam because people are dumb enough to pay and FS makes huge margins on tech work. It's just like how Monster cables are a "scam".
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #63
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
After getting screwed twice by their extended warranties and having an FS salesdroid LIE TO MY FACE about it, I vowed never to give them another cent of my money.
Never buy extended warranties. We all know at least one guy that works at FS or BB or whatever. Just take it to them and return it, even I'd you're years late. Most employees are trained to make the customer happy. Just skip the bullshit. I take all my shit to my friends that are managers. I smashed my iPod nano when I was on vacation, took it to my buddy who took it and gave me a new one, writing off the old one as a damaged demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So we called the closest EB Games (Lougheed Mall)... despite the PS2 being over a year old and having been bought at a different branch, they sold us the extended warranty ($70)... and then promptly swapped our dead PS2 for a new one. The guy even confirmed, that yes, they would now simply ship it back to Sony, and get a replacement for their stock.
They would be stupid not to do that one for you. You basically gave them $70 pure profit. They don't take the hit for that PS2. As you said, it's shipped back to Sony who will credit them for stock.

Next time someone tries to sell you an extended warranty, depending on the price, tell them you'll buy the extended warranty if they will give you an equivalent discount on the product, e.g. If the warranty on an iPod is $50, ask for a $50 discount. They aren't supposed to but a lot of retail guys do when they're behind on quota or because they make 10x the commission on the warranty compared to the actual product.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
It's not a scam, really. It's there because people are stupid. They have setup fees for PS3s and Xbox which are basically plugging in a couple of cables. The $100 setup fee basically charges for turning on the laptop and pressing Next a few times.

No, a laptop should work out of the box. If it doesn't, paying those idiot techs at FS $100 isn't going to fix it.

It's not a scam because people are dumb enough to pay and FS makes huge margins on tech work. It's just like how Monster cables are a "scam".
+1....

It may not be 100% upfront, but it's definitely not a scam. If someone told me that I had to spend $99 on setting up a laptop before I buy it, I wouldn't even think twice about it. I would've returned the laptop, gone somewhere else and bought it. Just the fact that people even question whether it's legit or not shows that some people are easily taken advantage of.

I see two HDMI cables at Future Shop and one is priced at $19.99 and the other is priced at $109.99. Yet people still buy the $109.99 cable despite seeing the $19.99 one. Why? Because people are vulnerable to marketing ploys.

SOME people actually need Future Shop to perform the services for them. But there are tons of people who are still paying Future Shop $99 to install Norton. $149 to setup an XBOX 360...Those aren't scams, it's just dumb people going for dumb offers.

As for everyone who is having problems with salesman lying to them about warranty policies, it's YOUR money that is being spent...Why not just read the terms and conditions yourselves. At the end of the day, the salesman can tell you whatever he wants and get away with it. Why would you trust spending your money on a policy explained by a salesman? In the paperwork, it clearly says that AFTER the 3rd MAJOR repair, you will get a replacement. Then people complain because they've had three repairs and can't get a replacement. Knowledge is power, know what you are getting yourself into, protect yourself, your money and investment.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #65
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Bestbuy's got this new warranty service, forgot what it was called, but it was like 599 for 3 years for a 1000 computer.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #66
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
There was a reddit thread where an old guy walked into a futureahop and said he wanted "the internet". They sold him an xbox 360 with a shit ton of accessories
Posted via RS Mobile
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #67

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaus View Post
futureshop is only worth going to for there sales. ive gone in with my girlfriend a few times and have been completely ignored by the sales people while they hit on my girlfriend (right infront of me) and try and sell her on shit she doesnt need.

a couple months ago we were buying a new laptop and this dirtbag salesguy at the broadway store was trying to push the extended warranty, start up fee and anti-virus installation fees on her for over half an hour. she must have said no atleast 15 times. he literally would not let us leave the store until he had explained every possible reason of why we needed this bs service. what should have been a 10min shopping experience ended up taking over an hour. im not your average customer, i research online and i decide what i want to buy before i enter the store. i know more about computers then anyone in futureshop or bestbuy and i guarantee i can fix any computer faster and better then them.

my cousin was also sucked into one of there extended warrantys on a sony laptop a couple years ago. his os got corrupted with a virus and was having trouble booting. he brought it into the store for a repair and they literally had it for over 6 months saying they needed to send it away for a new motherboard. i went with him to pick it up and they hadnt done anything to the computer, it still had the exact same problem it had when he brought it in and had been sitting on the shelf the whole time. long story short i re-installed his os and his pc was good as new within an hour.

futureshop is a store, its not a specialty store. treat it like your average 7-11 or grocery store where the employees have no idea what they are selling or where it came from and are there mainly for customer service. if you want a computer i highly suggest NCIX or memory express. they know what there selling and they wont try and give you some extended warranty bs. plus they will price match any price you can find.

great sites for price matching are: PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison! and Canadian Deals Community - PriceNetwork.ca. you type in the product name or model number and they will search an online database and give you the lowest price.
I don't know any extended warranty that covers viruses...Viruses are USER damages, not manufacture defects. They should've turned you away as soon as you brought the computer to them in the first place. Then again, you probably would've complained about them not accepting your warranty claim on the basis of a virus. I also find your story hard to believe because you embellished it too much. 6 months? Really? That's not possible...It's simply not. A store can't keep your laptop for 6 months...NO STORE would do that...2 months at the most and that is a rare and extreme situation which would more likely that not result in a replacement. But 6 months? Come on, if you're going to lie about it, at least make it seem believable. Why didn't you take your laptop from them earlier? Why did you wait 6 months to pick it up and try a re-install of the OS? If you knew the computer had a virus on it, and you're so tech saavy, why wouldn't you have taken that computer from your friend earlier and restored it? Your story just doesn't make much sense to me...

Future Shop, Best Buy, London Drugs, Staples, all these places push and sell extended warranties. Warranties have the biggest profit margins. It's nearly 80% profit. Are they scams? No...They work for people who know how to use them. If your product stops working in its 3rd year, your extended warranty has it covered...If you drop your product in the 3rd year, NO warranty has you covered, unless your lucky. Point being, a service is there with terms and conditions and as consumers we should be fully aware of what we are buying before we get it. I wouldn't buy a warranty at a full price ever. Unless I get it for half off the price, I wouldn't buy it. I'm sure there are countless stories of people who bought warranty and are happy that they did because they're sitting at home with a brand new flat screen TV because of it.

Realistically, we shop at these stores because of CONVENIENCE. There's a Future Shop/Best Buy around every corner. They have tons of products and a reasonable return policy. We on this forum are ALL aware of NCIX, NewEgg and Memory Express, yet we continue to shop at Future Shop...Because it's convenient. I've gone into Future Shop before, bought a laptop and walked out. I put my foot down, was firm and told the guy I want the laptop and I want to go. Instead of being "polite" and continuing to say "No I don't think I'll get the warranty" why not just say "I'm going to leave, it's your choice if I leave with or without the laptop."

There are advantages and disadvantages of every store...I don't buying big items from NCIX unless im 100% sure of them because they usually don't have them on demo, I can't see what they look like in person, and if I decided to return the item, there is a restocking fee...Future Shop and Best Buy don't have these issues.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #68
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

London Drug's computer section is pretty bad as well. They hire a bunch of retards there who know nothing about any tech. Ask them a question, they stumble and try to pretend they know the answer but in reality they are just lying. I don't know if they have any standards when hiring, but from the looks of it, they really don't. I heard the bosses at LD are also douches so maybe that's why the workers are the same. Why would anyone work there under shitty conditions is beyond me. It must be for the benefits or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #69
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
London Drug's computer section is pretty bad as well. They hire a bunch of retards there who know nothing about any tech. Ask them a question, they stumble and try to pretend they know the answer but in reality they are just lying. I don't know if they have any standards when hiring, but from the looks of it, they really don't. I heard the bosses at LD are also douches so maybe that's why the workers are the same. Why would anyone work there under shitty conditions is beyond me. It must be for the benefits or something.
You sound like a bitter, ex-employee...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #70

Bought a camera at FS before.. only reason i bought the warrenty was cuz they gave me so much discount off my camera and accessories.

Camera was originally 499.. guy sold it to me for 350, etc you get the idea.

Warranty is only worth it if they give you discount to make it cheaper or the same price as it would be without the warranty.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #71
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbaddie View Post
Bought a camera at FS before.. only reason i bought the warrenty was cuz they gave me so much discount off my camera and accessories.

Camera was originally 499.. guy sold it to me for 350, etc you get the idea.

Warranty is only worth it if they give you discount to make it cheaper or the same price as it would be without the warranty.
Go back the next day and return the warranty.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #72

LOLL it was a while ago..
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #73
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
You sound like a bitter, ex-employee...
I would never work with those retards for minimum wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #74
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I've always thought that the managers at CTC must beat the employees like slaves. Every single one of them looks like they are eyeing the razor blades in the tool section.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #75
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I don't know any extended warranty that covers viruses...Viruses are USER damages, not manufacture defects. They should've turned you away as soon as you brought the computer to them in the first place. Then again, you probably would've complained about them not accepting your warranty claim on the basis of a virus.
When I bought a laptop from them 6+ years ago FS wanted to sell me their extended warranty for the laptop. I said not and he said even if there was nothing wrong with it I can bring it in and say the computer is "not as fast as it was" and they will look at it and even clean off the dust inside the computer just to make use of the warranty if I don't use it. I ended up not getting it. So won't a virus be included in the check up????

Another story I have with FS. I bought the top of the line Palm PDA with Bluetooth and a big storage space and a fairly decent color screen. I had a problem with the touch screen sent it in, 1 month later the replaced the screen I picked it up. Got home put it in the cradle that had a flat plug and the unit went up in smoke. So I brought it back another two weeks they called me back and said I charged the unit through the headphone jack. Took me about 15 min arguing with them how I can stuff the cradle into the headphone jack. They told me to bring the cradle in to show them. I did and they shut up! So now since the unit was not repairable they had to replace it with somehing similar. They told me I can have the lowest model (black/white screen, no Bluetooth, small storage) I bitched at them in front of everyone at the return section for over 1 hr with the manager walking in and out of the conversation. Anyways in he end I walked out with the Palm Lifedrive and 150 out of my pocket. I ended up giving up as I was too steamed up to even think properly. FS extended warranty it SHIT! I rather buy vision's extended warranty as they will give you back the amount back if you don't use it, in terms of store credit.

Argh. I'm still so steamed thinking about my story!
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote