REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
good luck renewing you car insurance.
Yeah, hope you dont need your car that badly.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #77
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is what people are forgetting when they say "oooo $9 is going to hurt the truckers!" - this is a business where time really is money. If they can get to port a half hour sooner to get unloaded, reloaded, and back on the road... that's gotta be worth a sawbuck, not even counting the extra fuel burned sitting in traffic.

I drive a company van with a company-provided transponder and they cover the tolls... I pointed out once to my boss, at my hourly pay, if taking the GEB saves me only 7 minutes, then it pays for itself for them.

Welcome to RS.

Funny thing is, the people here bitching about the cost to maintain and improve the roads are probably the ones to whine the most their condition in the first place.
Yes sir, the buck is always passed. It's like when gas prices got ridiculously high a few years back. Whenever we had materials delivered to a jobsite they added a "Fuel surcharge" fee. This will be no different, might be added directly into the cost of goods but you can guarantee it will be the consumer and not the truckers paying it when everything is said and done. It will not effect there bottom line in the least.

I used to cross that bridge multiple times a day, I'm sure with my new job I'll be doing more of the same hitting up different job sites. I'm not going to be paying for it I'll be billing my company who in turn will make adjustments to make sure it's covered on there end and again the consumer will be the one paying in the end.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #78
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
I still owe them money, im not fucking paying it. They cant fucking track every single person down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
good luck renewing you car insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Yeah, hope you dont need your car that badly.

What are you guys talking about? He doesn't need to renew insurance. Those suckers can't track every single person down. AMIRITE?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #79
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
I renewed my insurance a month ago, no problems. No mention whatsoever of any outstanding toll fines, they sent me a letter a few months ago and said i owed them $12 and interest.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #80
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
hooray for work vehicle having company paid transponders! i dont mind the toll at all..i thought it would be much worse so im happy to pay it when i venture to that side of the world. if it saves me time its well worth it for me. i hate(d) being stuck on that highway and i really hope this clears the bottleneck.

i hope they set it like it is in other countries where if u have a transponder you get cheaper rates and if u pre pay its even lower.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
I renewed my insurance a month ago, no problems. No mention whatsoever of any outstanding toll fines, they sent me a letter a few months ago and said i owed them $12 and interest.
Because you arent at the point where its over due. You have a grace period. Trust me, even owing a dollar will make it so you cant insure a vehicle.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #82
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
When do you hit that point? I went over it for the first time in july. Where do you pay it? Can you pay online?
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #83
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I went over the bridge one way one time, immediately went home and put my credit card online to pay for it when it comes in.

No charges, my credit card is still on the QuickPass site, and they've sent me a couple of emails saying "You owe some coin, motherfucker" (thats a direct quote)

When I lived in Dublin and took the toll roads they let me go to a gas station and pay there. They had a little thing like a debit machine that they plugged your plate number in and took my cash right then and there.

I'd prefer that if I was a casual user of the bridge.

Also, I'd rather not see the old Port Mann bridge become a haven for crackheads and rape...er... I mean a "park"

Its a unique idea but I don't think its right for this city.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #84
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Yes sir, the buck is always passed. It's like when gas prices got ridiculously high a few years back. Whenever we had materials delivered to a jobsite they added a "Fuel surcharge" fee. This will be no different, might be added directly into the cost of goods but you can guarantee it will be the consumer and not the truckers paying it when everything is said and done. It will not effect there bottom line in the least.
You're missing the point. The average transport trucker doesn't get paid by the hour, he gets paid by the trip/load. The faster he can get a load to its destination, the sooner he can get another load. The more loads he can haul, the more he makes. The smoother the traffic flow... the sooner he can turn around and the more he puts in his pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #85
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Are the cameras sensitive enough to take pictures of TOP?
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #86
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post

Also, I'd rather not see the old Port Mann bridge become a haven for crackheads and rape...er... I mean a "park"

Its a unique idea but I don't think its right for this city.
You know, they already use the bottom of the bridge as a crackhead park. thats where they gather and sleep under the bridge
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #87
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
The Coquihalla is the biggest scam,it runs right through private property,they could have built it on provincial land and it would have been free for everyone,but chose not to,for some fucked up reason Bill Vanderzan chose to run it through someone's backyard.......gee I wonder why.
I don't know whose backyard it goes through, but the Coquihalla's been paid off and they've taken the tolls down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
haha I was wondering, because RS is a fairly conservative forum, whereas myself and my friends are primarily very left wing environmentalist types. Interesting to hear the differing perspectives.
This is the best perspective: the left vs right ideological framework is useless 90% of the time in the real world.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #88
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Quote:
You wanna hear something really fucked up?

Two of my friends work for Keiwit( one is a driller,the other is a iron worker),both are working on this mega project,they told me,if Keiwit finishes this project in time,Keiwit will recieve a BIG fucking bonus,if they finish early,they will get the bonus plus a percentage of the tolls for a certain amount of years.

Pissed off yet or raging mad?
That's normal for most major projects as well it's factored into the budget. It's like that with mostly any project out there from building condos/gas stations etc

Quote:
The Coquihalla is the biggest scam,it runs right through private property,they could have built it on provincial land and it would have been free for everyone,but chose not to,for some fucked up reason Bill Vanderzan chose to run it through someone's backyard.......gee I wonder why.
They took the tolls down on the coq a couple years ago.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #89

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
If you're commuting that much just to get to work, then your job must be precious and must be paying a lot to support your everyday commute. I don't see how you can't accord $3 to get to work even faster (assume that it will be).

The most important thing IN MY OPINION is getting to and from work in the least amount of time.

I used to work in surrey/langley border and i live near boundary road. Going to work takes 45 minute meaning I have to wake up 1 hour early to get to work. Now you just gotta see how much faster is this new bridge going to be for you before deciding to pay every day.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #90
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
That's normal for most major projects as well it's factored into the budget. It's like that with mostly any project out there from building condos/gas stations etc

They took the tolls down on the coq a couple years ago.
What pisses me off the most is,if they finish on time,they get a percentage of the tolls,who the fuck authorized that shit,especially when it's tax payers money.

I already know the tolls have been taken out already,but that stretch of road was tolled for like what almost 30 years.It has more than paid for itself many times over,but they still kept the toll for alot longer than needed.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #91
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
What pisses me off the most is,if they finish on time,they get a percentage of the tolls,who the fuck authorized that shit,especially when it's tax payers money.
That's contract negotiations. In this case the province decided that completing the project early was worth a percentage of the tolls to them.

I don't know what's so outrageous about that. Do you not get bonuses if you do well in your job?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #92
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:

I already know the tolls have been taken out already,but that stretch of road was tolled for like what almost 30 years.It has more than paid for itself many times over,but they still kept the toll for alot longer than needed.
What should really piss you off, is the fact that the Safety guys get paid just as much, if not more than the Engineers and Welders.

That's fucked up. They stand there and make sure shit is "safe". They do even less work than the Engineers, and make equal if not more than Entry Level guys.

Anybody ever wonder who's that asshole that just stands there at every job site, watching people actually work? It's the Safety Inspector.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #93
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:

I don't know why this is pissing you off so much. It's not much different from the car salesman who makes commission from selling cars.

And I don't know where you're getting the toll information from. The Coquihalla toll was taken off around the time that the $848 Million cost was brought in.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #94
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
What should really piss you off, is the fact that the Safety guys get paid just as much, if not more than the Engineers and Welders.

That's fucked up. They stand there and make sure shit is "safe". They do even less work than the Engineers, and make equal if not more than Entry Level guys.

Anybody ever wonder who's that asshole that just stands there at every job site, watching people actually work? It's the Safety Inspector.
I don't care what Safeway workers get,I don't shop there.

It's not the welders & engineers that get a percentage of the tolls or a cut of the bonus,it's the owners of Keiwit,the workers don't see any of it.

I would be glad if the workers got a cut of the bonus,cause these guys work their ass off on this project,they should be rewarded.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #95
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
I would be glad if the workers got a cut of the bonus,cause these guys work their ass off on this project,they should be rewarded.
The workers aren't shareholders - it doesn't work like that. Would you also agree that the workers all get a paycut should the project be completed after the deadline?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #96
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post

Quote:
I don't care what Safeway workers get,I don't shop there.

It's not the welders & engineers that get a percentage of the tolls or a cut of the bonus,it's the owners of Keiwit,the workers don't see any of it.

SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #97

How do they hire safety inspectors? Do they go to safety school or Pass a test ?,, Or they just put their own family member on site
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #98
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
When do you hit that point? I went over it for the first time in july. Where do you pay it? Can you pay online?
I pay through online banking, just like I do all my bills.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #99
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Trans-Canada Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Confederation Bridge connecting PEI is also part of the TCH and has a $50 one-way toll.

The Nanaimo/Horseshoe Bay ferry route is also considered part of the Trans Canada Highway.

BTW, according to British Columbia Trans-Canada Highway Route: Hope, BC and Kamloops via the #5 Coquihalla (toll) Highway, the Coquihalla is considered a part of the TCH system... it had tolls until just recently as well.

And RS has t(r)olls all the time.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #100
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Quote:
So first, it's not free. And second, I think they kept the tolls for the revenue, not because it was running through someone's backyard - unless you can show me I'm wrong.

Also, just because some decisions are unintuitive to you, it doesn't mean every decision by govt is incompetent. Maybe instead of spouting off, it would be more wise to ask why first. For example, how about:

"What is their rationale for using an incentive based compensation system? Are they kicking money into their friends' pockets? Or maybe there's a justified reason that benefits tax payers, which I'm not aware of."
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote